Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6479
how

do you get a blog layout like this (i know theirs is custom-designed)

http://www.runofplay.com/2011/05/05/your-stupid-rage-2/

i want something like this for wordpress. very badly. will pay money.

ty.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
eleven bravo
+1,399|5267|foggy bottom
I made a website when I was 12.  I think it was geocities.
Tu Stultus Es
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6479
something for me to do now i've finished uni. i have a wordpress and a domain, just want a redesign... like that template.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6320

Here's something minimal to start from.

http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/build

Tazz is probably the best person to talk to about editing Wordpress themes.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6764|Scotland

Could have just emailed me about it 'Zique. Pretty sure I've still got HIU hosted on me.

Piss easy to make a theme like that; it's not even particularly impressive. Nice blog.

http://www.jasonsantamaria.com/ - probably one of the best blogs I've come across, but then again he is one of the greatest web gurus. His typography skills are just immense.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6479
yeah i was thinking more about someone that is current with the wordpress/theme scene knowing a similar starting point... themes are a lot of work. and yeah! i know HIU is still hosted on your server (ty as always) but i didn't think to buzz you about the redesign! i'm probably taking a year out of studying but i want to keep busy/writing so it's now the perfect platform.

things i really like about that football blog:

large image-splash for each blog-post on the home-page (perfect for when im reviewing albums/releases)
the main message layout: perfect typeset/font, nice formatting, the 3-columns with the details on left, main-text focus in centre and footnotes (!) on right.

i really dig that. if anyone could help me get towards something like that then i'd gladly fork over some paypal romance
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6699|Devon, England
Zimmer's one dedicated webguy. I vote him.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6764|Scotland

Uzique wrote:

yeah i was thinking more about someone that is current with the wordpress/theme scene knowing a similar starting point... themes are a lot of work. and yeah! i know HIU is still hosted on your server (ty as always) but i didn't think to buzz you about the redesign! i'm probably taking a year out of studying but i want to keep busy/writing so it's now the perfect platform.

things i really like about that football blog:

large image-splash for each blog-post on the home-page (perfect for when im reviewing albums/releases)
the main message layout: perfect typeset/font, nice formatting, the 3-columns with the details on left, main-text focus in centre and footnotes (!) on right.

i really dig that. if anyone could help me get towards something like that then i'd gladly fork over some paypal romance
Current with the Wordpress/theme scene? There really isn't much to be "current" about if you're a web developer. WP works on a really simply template scheme and any decent developer could theme it blindfolded.

Themes are only a lot of work if you have no background knowledge of tyopgraphy/design and you don't have a starting point. Once you know the general direction of where you want to go with a theme/design, it's relatively easy to get it set up just how you want it.

The way he's done it is pretty easy - The starting to each paragraph is a Cufon typeface replace (javascript font style replacement) that he applies to each starting letter. All that does is replace the letter with the font type he wants used on that specific. Much easier ways of doing that now - especially with the likes of Typekit.

Then for each side note all he does is apply a span tag

Code:

<span id="note">asdasdas</span>
That has a data-id in the content and is called through javascript and put in the correct place. Pretty cool method after looking into how he did it.

If you want to look into it yourself I suggest you begin by looking at CSS frameworks (I use blueprint, but 960 is cool as well) and then taking a look at typography uses. Don't try editing an existing theme, begin  from a developers theme (base theme, some even include frameworks) or start from scratch. Editing an existing theme just gets ultra messy.

I can easily get that set up for you in a few days if you want. Not too hard, I've even got some secret goodies you might love to have (tyopgraphy based). Give me a shout if you want me to take a look at it.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6479
i'd get into it myself but i'm a perfectionist with things like this and would no doubt put way more time than is healthy into the layout and graphics design. i really like that layout overall - the bottom-frame with the twitter feed and link-roll is nice; the features menu is stylish; the drop-down about me with the graphic background is a really nice touch, etc. the only problem for me with minimal web-design experience and a photoshop acumen dating from age 15 tutorialism is that it seems like a lot of work. graphic-heavy layouts have always interested me (mainly because of the immediate appeal for music reviews) - but it seems like a lot of work to get set-up. pretty daunting. little touches like the icons for the twitter feed, the graphic design for the buttons/layout etc. that's really beyond my skillset and i know graphics designers are expensive, considering its such a small touch in the wider-scheme of things.

that said, i definitely want to kickstart an online folio of sorts in my spare months. i'm familiar with wordpress as a blogging platform but not for design/customisation, at all. i just want something that looks good, will stay looking good, and that suits my needs (i.e. long word-essays with footnotes in a stylish/appealing manner, and a home-page spread that is image intensive).

if you have some spare time (and a quote handy) then i'd be more than happy to pursue this.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6764|Scotland

Uzique wrote:

i'd get into it myself but i'm a perfectionist with things like this and would no doubt put way more time than is healthy into the layout and graphics design. i really like that layout overall - the bottom-frame with the twitter feed and link-roll is nice; the features menu is stylish; the drop-down about me with the graphic background is a really nice touch, etc. the only problem for me with minimal web-design experience and a photoshop acumen dating from age 15 tutorialism is that it seems like a lot of work. graphic-heavy layouts have always interested me (mainly because of the immediate appeal for music reviews) - but it seems like a lot of work to get set-up. pretty daunting. little touches like the icons for the twitter feed, the graphic design for the buttons/layout etc. that's really beyond my skillset and i know graphics designers are expensive, considering its such a small touch in the wider-scheme of things.

that said, i definitely want to kickstart an online folio of sorts in my spare months. i'm familiar with wordpress as a blogging platform but not for design/customisation, at all. i just want something that looks good, will stay looking good, and that suits my needs (i.e. long word-essays with footnotes in a stylish/appealing manner, and a home-page spread that is image intensive).

if you have some spare time (and a quote handy) then i'd be more than happy to pursue this.
Left you a karma message.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6609|132 and Bush

FFLink wrote:

Zimmer's one dedicated webguy. I vote him.
Yea I forgot about that when I was messing around with my site . Lucky for him ..lol. I probably would have harassed him with questions.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
signa
~~~~~
+50|6737|Michigan, USA
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6183|Sydney | ♥

elegantthemes or woothemes.

google them.

elegantthemes you pay 40 bucks and get all of them, woo themes i'm not too sure, however they do have free themes.

http://www.woothemes.com/themes/free/
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6447|King Of The Islands

Lol they need JS to position the letters. Fucking noobs.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6764|Scotland

Cheez wrote:

Lol they need JS to position the letters. Fucking noobs.
You really have no idea what you're talking about, do you? They use Cufon because the font used for each starting letter is a commercial/non-web font so it has to be loaded into the browser. There are 3 ways of doing that - Javascript, Flash and now @font-face. They've chosen an old way, but that site isn't new and @font-face is.

It's not a noobish thing to do, it's actually quite cool and works perfectly. Sure they could one up that and use @font-face, but why when Cufon is working fine? There are THOUSANDS of great web designers who use Cufon or even sIFR to have their own fonts on their site. Pretty standard.
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6447|King Of The Islands

Position, Zim. Shit was all fucked up until I allowed NoScript.

JS shouldn't have be used to position elements, if you do, you need graceful degradation.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6764|Scotland

Cheez wrote:

Position, Zim. Shit was all fucked up until I allowed NoScript.

JS shouldn't have be used to position elements, if you do, you need graceful degradation.
No, it shouldn't have been used, but then again then % of browsers that have JS disabled is minimal. You find it more and more that sites just throw you an error with "This site must have Javascript enabled to work" rather than trying to implement graceful degradation. It's also a total pain in the ass to cater for IE 7 and under when it comes to degradation.

I'm all for it, but in this day and age Javascript shouldn't be disabled on sites, it's far too widely used.
futura. that is all.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6764|Scotland

Kimmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:

futura. that is all.
No thanks. I don't want to be a sheep and follow EVERY single web designer who thinks he's "chic" for using the Futura font. Far too overused and it pops up absolutely everywhere.

It's a beautiful typeface, but it's become far too common amongst "decent" designers and now it's just ruined. Added to the fact that it costs a fortune and cannot be used on a website without an image or sIFR, both methods which are outdated and poor.

I've got the entire Futura sent, and I have used it on some of my clients sites, but I try my hardest to stay as far away as possible from it now.

It's also not a font that Uzique would want to look at because it's not a serif font.
ok zimmer, futura is what ive come to use for photography -  which is what i really want to know.. what font you like for that?? what font is in your avatar? //#ufontslut

uzi lemme know when you get your blog up.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6764|Scotland

Kimmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:

ok zimmer, futura is what ive come to use for photography -  which is what i really want to know.. what font you like for that?? what font is in your avatar? //#ufontslut

uzi lemme know when you get your blog up.
There are thousands of fonts out there, any font can suit any sort of purpose if used properly. I've never paid attention to photography sites/blogs so I couldn't tell you what fonts look good/don't. Helvetica Neue has always been a very clean and defined font for use on portfolio site (albeit overused as well).

That logo for my portfolio (along with my site) hasn't been updated in over 2 years, a lot has changed in those 2 years. I think it's Futura, but I can't even find the AI of that logo anymore.
  you secret Futura slut.

i like Helvetica Neue too, thanks for reply
Zimmer or other font sluts.. what is this font?? need to find it to reprint some bus cards
akzidenz and helvetica are closest ive found
and berthold akzidenz grotesque

https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/lucky795/font.jpg
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6320

Zimmer wrote:

Helvetica Neue LT Std - Thin Condensed. At least that's almost identical. It looks like the typeface might have been squashed a bit.

It's definitely a Helvetica Neue family typeface, and it's most likely the one I mentioned, just rendered slightly differently.
^  what zimmer had replied with in mail(so i can find this at a later time )

ebug i think you got it, thanks
thanks for the space on your thread uzi  :0

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard