Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6105|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

ouhh yes i'm terribly narcissistic, loser boy.
This might blow your mind but, I wasn't talking about you, about twitter posters in general.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Larssen
+99|1886
That's just his little disclaimer in between stating that 'there are objective criteria' and that he has a 'method' which he doesn't care to explain.

I think he just found a buzzfeed article and turned it into a video. Where even did the whole F-S tier thing come from, i've only ever seen it in League of Legends.

Whatever the case, guy has no clue at all and reminded me of how Dilbert structures arguments
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Tiering is a bit of a fad. There's websites for that stuff. It's easy for me to imagine how it went from best pokemons to hard college topics. People got older.

Again in his defense, he's not so much propping one subject above the other or trying to pretend that this is at all comprehensive. Reiterates subjectivity once more halfway through the video.

No mention of difficulties in landing jobs and the difference between work and study. College vs. company environments. Apples and oranges, even with STEM. Upkeep, retesting in ongoing education.

Overall, not a very useful video. And with his disclaimer in mind, I don't think flat tiering like this really fits. I also don't like the implication of better and worse (using letter grading), even if this is opinion on difficulty rather than validity.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Ghislaine Maxwell’s appeal against her 20-year jail sentence for sex trafficking is on the brink of collapse after her estranged husband refused to pay her legal fees.

Scott Borgerson, 46, who married Maxwell, 60, in secret in 2016 and ended the relationship over the phone when she was in jail awaiting trial, has ignored her requests to pay a $900,000 legal bill and a further $1 million to challenge her conviction, according to The Sun.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ghis … -8vqdv3v2k

Ha ha ha, a Maxwell getting robbed of their money and stuck in jail to boot.
This made my day.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

follow-up:

Larssen wrote:

and that he has a 'method' which he doesn't care to explain.
Didn't he briefly summarise it as dropout rates, general workload, and then specifically 'ease' of getting passing grades? Just didn't get into it on a case-by-case basis.

Normal engineering wank would do nothing but punch down on English. Even if it was "downtiered" (again, not a useful video), don't often hear engineering types make reverent mention of the difficulty of getting an A in anything but their STEM content.

And again, letter grading for this kind of sucks. With his disclaimers, it doesn't mean much. But there's still this unstated painting of subjects as inherently 'better' or 'worse,' because difficulty (pff, you're taking a C-tier major?). Who can effectively argue against the importance of things like politics, dance, language, religion, and art to human civilization? In a general sense, certainly impactful over a longer period of time than aeronautical engineering.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-11-29 01:53:01)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
https://cdn.britannica.com/67/196267-050-E8A94E09/bombs-US-Air-Force-training-exercise-B-52.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Ah yes, the jet bombers of prehistory. Influential in the evolution of human civilization since time immemorial.

certainly impactful over a longer period of time
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Which has been more impactful overall though?

The Canterbury Tales or aerial bombing?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Ah yes, all human cultural achievement can be summed up in Chaucer. And the grand achievement of flight, in 'aerial bombing.'

How we even got to the point of aerial warfare is a long history of the sort you despise because it doesn't take place within the timespan of WW2. Or rather, when the good countries got involved, right?

How many more thousands of years of human history under which thing's belt:

a) storytelling
b) jet bombers
uziq
+492|3451
the whole argument is specious and stupid. and top scientists will tell you so. it's only the little pencil-pushing, Matlab-tweaking engineers who think everything in life should boil down to mechanics. physicists and actual scientists of imagination have plenty of time for music, literature, the arts, etc. they don't make a distinction between forms of imagination, creativity, and intelligence. but are you going to listen to carl sagan or dilbert the manchild on these matters? oh noes! an insecure youtuber gave my subject a 'B-tier' on their youtube meme video!

there's really something very sad about someone who is blind, deaf and dumb to beautiful, touching things, and yet who thinks carpet bombing is 'awsm'. i know you're being facetious but even dividing and ghettoizing your life's experiences in this way is just sad and pathetic. you think in the insecure tribalism of early adolescence. a life-long maladapt.

it's like that line in the copy-pasta about elon musk above: a lot of engineers resemble those friends you left behind in high-school or university who haven't grown as a person or advanced their personality beyond the geeky habits and fascinations of youth. that's fine, the world needs engineers, but turning your lack of curiosity into a point of personal pride is just ... sad. you think you're sticking it to the humanities people, but they're not even thinking about you. you think anything you have to say about 'the canterbury tales' is going to detract from the joy i get from reading that? lol. look at your life. it's piffle.

Last edited by uziq (2022-11-29 03:09:22)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

I guess Musk is fighting Apple now. /popcorn
uziq
+492|3451
a fight he will lose.

they pulled fortnite from the apple store over a similar dispute, a while ago, and forwent billions of dollars of easy revenue in the process. elon musk and his newly assembled army of 120,000 blueticks paying $8/month are not going to trouble apple's balance sheet.

apple are unexpectedly coming to the rescue in the current era. upending the business models of facebook/meta and google/alphabet inc. and, to a lesser extent, twitter, amazon, et al. the era of big data and rampant privacy abuses is coming to an end. time to get a new model, guys.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Apple does seem to have that tied up in a neat bow. If they could just work on their Foxconn problem some more, that'd be fantastic. Not that other computer companies don't have issues with problematic labor.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
I have said this before but my work MacBook converted me to Apple. My next laptop is going to be a MacBook though I don't need one at the moment. I see absolutely no need for a "gaming laptop."
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

My old laptop was capable of it but I never really used it for that when out and about. Things can be a liability anyway. Cop sees one in your car, even closed, they might try and tack on distracted driving to whatever they pulled you over for. Also thief-bait. There's not much I used to do on them outside of the house that can't be done with a smartphone and maybe a keyboard peripheral.
Larssen
+99|1886

uziq wrote:

a fight he will lose.

they pulled fortnite from the apple store over a similar dispute, a while ago, and forwent billions of dollars of easy revenue in the process. elon musk and his newly assembled army of 120,000 blueticks paying $8/month are not going to trouble apple's balance sheet.

apple are unexpectedly coming to the rescue in the current era. upending the business models of facebook/meta and google/alphabet inc. and, to a lesser extent, twitter, amazon, et al. the era of big data and rampant privacy abuses is coming to an end. time to get a new model, guys.
I'm not sure about that. The current models are being shaken up, but if left to the forces of capitalism - 'free' social media services can only end up exploitative of its user base in attempts to drive ad revenue.

It either needs to become a strongly regulated or nationalised industry. It won't surprise me if in the somewhat distant future much of the digital infrastructure will be reclaimed as public goods. In the current models it's as though the marketplace were in private ownership and you'd have mercenaries to police it.
uziq
+492|3451
yes, capitalism is exploitative, thanks for telling me. i never read anything from the marxist or post-marxist canon before. i did an a-tier sTeM degree.

we're moving away from the era of users having their private data harvested by extremely unscrupulous platform capitalists like facebook. and that is in large part due to a hard technical-policy shift from apple HQ. they very much are changing the paradigm with the way they're structuring the security+privacy features of their latest operating systems, plus their new app store terms and conditions.

yes, a lot of this is likely being driven by seeing which way the prevaiing wind is blowing, especially with regards to grumblings from congress and the rumblings of EU law on regulating these industries. i never claimed they were saints or altruists. i did say they were 'unexpectedly' coming to the rescue of the consumer in the current era. but the simple fact is that one of the main tech giants in silicon valley are making wide-sweeping moves that are causing huge financial disruption to their peers and business partners.

made in the context of the apple vs. musk comments, it makes sense. apple aren't angels, again, but they have made several moves in recent years that have deprived them of measurable billions in revenue for the sake of sticking by their new user privacy mantra. i don't think they're going to be worried about elon starting a culture war with them with his paltry army of blue-tick twitter reply guys.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FisexlrVIAA1_cJ?format=jpg&name=medium

whatever comes to replace it will have to be more creative – and hopefully more fair and equitable, and let us hope – than the data mining that facebook has been doing on our phones for years, listening in to all of our conversations and tracking our activity across a broad swathe of apps that have nothing the fuck to do with their business, so that they can sell it to shady actors and push fear-based political disinformation campaigns to our phones, and so on. good riddance.

Last edited by uziq (2022-11-29 15:19:56)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715
twitter also has a FTC consent decree thingy. gl elon!
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
Some experts and pundits are saying this exodus marks the death of social networks. Those articles aren’t entirely wrong, but they aren’t that right, either. What we’re seeing is not so much the death of an age as an evolution in social networks—a shift towards community-focused and -designed spaces like Mastodon, Discord, and Twitch. While social media was for 15 years or so focused on bringing your message to as many people as possible at one time, we’re heading now toward a future in which it’s about reaching a much smaller group of people with whom you already share interests, beliefs, or affinity.
Interesting snippet from an article. Back to message boards society goes.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

The funny thing is, smaller online communities never truly stopped being a thing. Forums rolled ever on. Reddit's been around for nearly 20 years. Discord itself is nearing its 10th birthday, carrying the figurative torch of VOIP and messaging services. Nobody needs to be butting heads with facebook moderators. Just leave facebook.

I don't think stuff like twitter will really die out. Even if twitter goes the way of the dodo, something will fill that power vacuum.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
The article acknowledged that there are old community based sites like Reddit specifically. Reddit has a more techy culture than the more broad Facebook and Twitter. People are leaving the broad platforms. The article mentioned that people on the broad networks have started to see the spread of their content as more of a liability than feature. People want to go back to Avatars and screen names.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Like facebook doesn't have plenty of false-name accounts. A non-techy facebook group could literally migrate to discord overnight. Isn't there a subreddit for pretty much everything? I bet if I looked up cross-stitching there'd be at least one.

But yes I get what point you're making with the whole global audience thing. I don't think there's too much cause for concern about that sort of thing disappearing, though. There's too much opportunity, and the cat's grown too fat for the bag.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-11-30 08:14:13)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
I don't think it will disappear though I can see further fragmentation of social networks. The big players will still be big but their market share will be eaten into. It is not unlike the effect of having 400 cable channels vs just having 5 big ones like ABC, CBS, etc.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Hang on a minute, I know boomers who pass time on reddit. I think its days of being a purely nerd platform are gone.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
There are techy boomers. We were taught by them.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard