Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6097|eXtreme to the maX

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I was at my BIL's surprise birthday party last Saturday. My BIL is a Asian redneck. As such, he has a lot of redneck friends. Somehow we got to talking about trash, and one of his friends matter-of-factly said he burns his trash in his backyard. Cue "that's-illegal.bmp" from me. He followed with "I don't care, if the cops come ill pull my gun on them". He said this while unironically wearing a thin blue line flag hat. What a clown.

All his friends were talking about moving to Idaho, bc apparently Idaho is the redneck utopia. Good fucking riddance, payasos.
This all boils down to infantile oppositional defiance, if the gubmint told him to burn his trash no doubt he'd sort the recycling and take it to the municipal dump to "stick one to the libs"

At least he'll be giving himself cancer burning trash.

Still surprised Jay didn't move to Idaho.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2022-02-15 22:56:23)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6707

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I was at my BIL's surprise birthday party last Saturday. My BIL is a Asian redneck. As such, he has a lot of redneck friends. Somehow we got to talking about trash, and one of his friends matter-of-factly said he burns his trash in his backyard. Cue "that's-illegal.bmp" from me. He followed with "I don't care, if the cops come ill pull my gun on them". He said this while unironically wearing a thin blue line flag hat. What a clown.

All his friends were talking about moving to Idaho, bc apparently Idaho is the redneck utopia. Good fucking riddance, payasos.

why the fuck would you burn trash anyway, thats just trying to give yourself lung cancer and a stinky house for no reason.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3711

Cybargs wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szxTez2SHRY

why the fuck would you burn trash anyway, thats just trying to give yourself lung cancer and a stinky house for no reason.
Don't want to pay a garbage pickup fee. Some places make you pay for garbage pickup and/or fire department protection. People in a lot of areas rather pay a fee to private whatevers than have to pay for that stuff through property taxes.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3711
This is how Biden can turn things around. Throw himself down some stairs.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Don't want to pay a garbage pickup fee. Some places make you pay for garbage pickup and/or fire department protection. People in a lot of areas rather pay a fee to private whatevers than have to pay for that stuff through property taxes.
Give me property tax garbage collection with curbside pickup of large items, every time over dealing with the companies directly or having to drive an old couch to the stinky dump.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6707

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Give me property tax garbage collection with curbside pickup of large items, every time over dealing with the companies directly or having to drive an old couch to the stinky dump.
all i can say is lol america.

we have free government "dump" pick ups you can call twice a year and theyll take all of your major trash.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

We have stuff like that but it kind of depends on where you live. Like decent public schools. US can do better.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3711
I live in a "high tax" blue state. Public workers do well. Garbage men are unionized here. Get pensions too. Or at least they used to.

I prefer the system we have here where I don't need to think about paying the garbage collection bill, fire fighter insurance bill, snow removal bill, bill to empty the septic tank because they never built sewers etc.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

To be fair, building sewage systems all the way out into unincorporated podunk with three residents would probably be a little wasteful. Some towns in WA ran out of excuses like 30 years ago, though. I they should at the very least always be planned, then acted upon once a population hits a certain threshold. Septic companies might not like that though.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3711

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

To be fair, building sewage systems all the way out into unincorporated podunk with three residents would probably be a little wasteful. Some towns in WA ran out of excuses like 30 years ago, though. I they should at the very least always be planned, then acted upon once a population hits a certain threshold. Septic companies might not like that though.
Why do you want to intrude on their freedom to subsidize investment in septic businesses?

Totally unrelated to pumping poop out of front yards:

"Teacher retirements up as fewer ready to replace them"
The nationwide squeeze on the teacher supply during the pandemic has drawn much attention, and New Jersey is no exception. Nearly 4,000 teachers retired in the state last year, up about 10% from the previous year, according to the New Jersey Teachers’ Pension and Annuity Fund. Earlier this month, the National Education Association reported that 55% of educators are ready to leave the field sooner than they had planned, and school officials worry about a potential exodus in New Jersey as well.
But just as worrisome is that the fewer teachers are coming up to fill in those ranks. Colleges and other organizations cite a dropping interest among their students in becoming educators, a situation only exacerbated by the on-the-job stresses of teaching during the pandemic.

Even before the pandemic, teaching was becoming a less attractive career to students. Education degrees comprised 5.6% of all degrees awarded in New Jersey in 2020, down from 9.6% in 2009. At the bachelor’s degree level, the decline is even more dramatic, with education degrees comprising 6.9% of all degrees awarded in 2020 and 11.76% in 2009 — a 41% decrease.

“We have seen a real decline in people wanting to be a teacher,” said Jason Barr, dean of the College of Education and Human Services at Rider. “A big part of that was students who had spent the last year or two in online learning, saying, ‘This is not a profession for me.’”

Part of that is the due to the barriers to entry in the teaching profession. After completing their coursework, for example, students must devote time and significant money — up to $1,500 beyond tuition and fees — to prepare for and pass assessment exams that research has questioned as predictors of how well a teacher will perform in the classroom. Barr said the assessments also put some students at a disadvantage.
There's more to the article but you get it. What is interesting about it all is that we "upped the standards" to becoming a teacher half a decade ago. Instead of improving the quality of the workforce, we ended up causing a labor shortage. I think about this when I hear about "improving standards" in other professions. High standards are important and all but we need to be careful about causing labor shortages.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Is it just because of the standards? The higher the qualifications are set, higher the pay should be. Some of the language used against me when I was considering it was that "you don't want to go into that field just to work as an underpaid substitute while working on your college debt." Having to deal with covid-denying parents also a more recent blow, perhaps. Covid stuff in general, I can see some of the older teachers feeling put out by the remote stuff.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3711
I cut off some of the article that went more into how the test are holding some potential teachers back. Some people who want to become teachers can't afford the test or pass it. I had to take the math portion twice. If I was poor and couldn't afford to take it twice, that would be problematic. If you only get one shot at the test like I am sure some maniac thinks is a good idea, that would be a bad situation.

I felt like a teenager again when taking that math test. "When am I ever going to use this [while teaching social studies]" I know somebody who had trouble with the math portion while wanting to become a gym teacher. Does a Pre-K teacher need to know how to graph a line? The basic reading and writing portion of the test seemed fine. But I got literally a 198/200 on it so of course it seemed great.

I got a great idea. If a kid ever ask me why they need to know advanced math I will tell them because a testing company may test you on it someday.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6707
this should've been your real answer

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Why do people say "I hate to say 'I told you so?'" Own it. Relish in your vindication. You were right. You can do this while taking no particular pleasure in someone else's misfortune.

Awhile back I made a post mentioning relatives who couldn't keep an orderly pantry/kitchen to save their lives, the kind of stuff that Gordon Ramsay makes a dramatic show of feeling nauseated over. Plenty of opportunities for cross contamination on just about every surface, just to start.

Recently, I was told they ate an off chicken and got sick. That they weren't seriously ill, but enough to be put them off chicken. I was told they knew it was bad. It had a malodor, but then they just rinsed off the slime and cooked it anyway overruling one's fairly liberal better instincts. I am going to assume they'll exercise greater caution for a few weeks, and then get back to business as usual (not the first or last time really).

This didn't have to happen, but they overbuy and food goes to waste in the back of their fridge, wedged behind the mass of impulse groceries. Sometimes they find an item at the 11th hour of freshness and eat it before it's beyond salvage.

How many greenhouse gasses does wasted food generate at the landfill? Should a punitive fine be placed on wasted food? If so, at which levels? Discuss.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3711
If you made food waste illegal the restaurant owners will shut down Ottawa.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Let natural selection take its course, people who interfere in it should be fined, you're harming the species.

Food waste is a colossal problem, plus the average american consumes 2-3x more than they actually need.

I love telling people "I told you so" its pretty much my raison d'erp.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2022-02-21 00:35:12)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

is oz still fatter than the usa?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
uziq
+492|3443

Dilbert_X wrote:

Let natural selection take its course, people who interfere in it should be fined, you're harming the species.

Food waste is a colossal problem, plus the average american consumes 2-3x more than they actually need.

I love telling people "I told you so" its pretty much my raison d'erp.
there's much more to it than just the finger-pointing morality (which you love so much) of 'personal consumption'.

like, for instance, people perched on remote desert islands at the bottom of the world expecting international cuisine and the world's produce to be delivered to their local supermarkets.

koreans are one of the fittest populations on the planet, i would wager, and yet they too have enormous problems with food waste. highly punitive recycling measures have been introduced to clamp down on this. but it has nothing to do with them being 'greedy fatso americans', as you would try to reduce the problem, every time. it's cultural: their national cuisine is based around dozens of side dishes rather than one 'main' on a plate. this obviously has consequences for the amount of food waste produced by every meal.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
On the plus side Korean consumption of Australian coal is up this year.

Thank god they don't care about the environment, we need the money to buy submarines.
uziq
+492|3443
i agree it is terrible that both korea and australia are vaccillating over their commitments to decarbonisation and disgracing the world community.

good job i have citizenship and place my vote in a country that has a markedly better record than both of them.

how is it, driving that car every day to the store to pick-up exotic fruits and veg? does it feel good when you make fun of 'fatso americans' and accuse everyone else of guilt-ridden forms of consumption but yourself?

Last edited by uziq (2022-02-21 05:22:19)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Australia isn't vacillating, we're steadily shutting down coal plants.

My consumption is very low, it feels great driving the 1km to the local store to buy local produce, thank you.
uziq
+492|3443
i have conclusively rejected your balderdash on this topic before. australia is in no ways better than korea at this stuff.

you keep making out, to the exclusion of most of your state's denizens and the 90% of your own nation, that you live some wonderful little renewables-only lifestyle, powered by the sun and subsisting on flax seed, pulses and lentils. all because about twice a week your teeny tiny state can be said to be powered from green sources.

meanwhile australia still gets about 80% of its national energy grid from fossil fuels, coal chief among them. your nation is deservedly in the top 10/15 globally for both total emissions and per capita emissions for a very big reason.

you driving a car every single day around low-density, endless exurbia has something to do with that. but again you like to exclude literally 80% of your national power grid and 94% of your compatriots from this rosy little picture. apparently it's an honest tactic to evade responsibility for the vast majority of your compatriots, whilst i have to account for ... a polity to which i don't belong? ok, boomer.

i literally walk everywhere every day and eat locally. isn’t that a one-up on you? i work in public spaces. the energy bill for my tiny studio apartment is almost nil.

thick as mince.

Last edited by uziq (2022-02-21 06:03:13)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Interesting chart. Is that just for obesity, or does it count overweight people as well? Which age groups beyond adult/children? I believe (without discounting the hue problem in USA) that Australia is still quite fat, and much increasingly so with age (not good considering comorbidities!). I've read articles before saying that it's skyrocketed out of control since the 80s. One or two about how you guys have even outpaced us in some respects. "Fat bomb," "fatter than ever," in relatively recent years. What happened? Did you guy suddenly get better since 2020?

Is the confusing labeling and the ubiquity sometimes high energy foods partly to blame? An economy that makes students live on instant ramen? In our case at least, food assistance programs that won't discriminate against garbage that tastes good with little or easy prep? Foods and additives that can mess with your hormones, blood sugar, etc., and leave you soon feeling hungry? The human brain's rewards processing for food consumption? Is gluttony truly a sin or is it an evolutionary trait exploited by snack and junk food companies cultivating and preying upon poor habits with data-driven food science and marketing?

If I worked three or four jobs, I'd probably toss too many microwave dinners in the nuker too at the end of my exhausting days.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3711
Microwavable food is fine if you control your portions. Microwavable food is probably a great way to manage your calories if you have the self control to not eat 3 in one sitting.
https://images.eatthismuch.com/site_media/img/592151_annyeong24_42eb425e-593a-473f-9bb4-7adc3e6b0306.jpg
Didn't Weight Watchers or whatever make a lot of money selling people frozen meals they can use to track how much calories they are taking in?
https://i0.wp.com/www.parsleysagesweet.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/weight-watchers-fresh-meals2.jpg?resize=500%2C355

Looking down on frozen food is classism. I weighted myself a moment ago and I weigh 150.4 and am 5'9. Do not question my eating habits.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard