Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

what is your obsession with wars on china, wars on drugs, etc
Why are you obsessed with taking illegal drugs?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3444

Dilbert_X wrote:

Grinding people down? Why don't they just find something else to do?
you do realize that 95% of people who end up incarcerated or hopelessly addicted to drugs aren't recreational fun-types with jobs and stable lives, right?

why do you take such pleasure in punching down on people who actually need help?

you sound like a reagan-era relic. 'people who take drugs make a choice, they get what they deserve'.

'public health people' are not in support of punishing drug addicts, by the way.
uziq
+492|3444

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

what is your obsession with wars on china, wars on drugs, etc
Why are you obsessed with taking illegal drugs?
haven't taken an illegal drug in years and frankly doubt i will very often in the rest of my life. it's for young people, and good luck to them.

do you really think i claim 'the war on drugs has failed' because i have a personal stake in it? my life has never been adversely affected by the war on drugs, dilbert. i don't have any skin in the game. as i've tried to point out to you, countless times, for middle-class white people the illegality of a drug is a near-irrelevance. they're going to take them anyway and they will never be the ones who lose their job, house, or freedom because of it.
uziq
+492|3444

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

there are way more casual cocaine users than heroin users. the death rate from heroin is not comparable. use your head for fuck’s sake.
Public health people care about total numbers, from your own chart cocaine deaths are a bigger problem than heroin deaths.
yes that's why people are talking about a 'cocaine epidemic' in the 2000s and not an 'opioid epidemic'.

from a public health point of view, the number of people being taken out by prescription drug addictions, due to the easy availability of dr's 'scrips, is a much more pressing issue than cocaine use. entire communities in america, especially in rust belt towns, are essentially benzo or opioid zombie towns. nobody is in work and everyone is on that good Sackler supply. that's a social blight. (yes, crack cocaine had a similar corrosive role in ghetto communities in the 1980s.)

https://www.cdc.gov/opioids/basics/epidemic.html

The number of drug overdose deaths increased by nearly 5% from 2018 to 2019 and has quadrupled since 1999Over 70% of the 70,630 deaths in 2019 involved an opioid. From 2018 to 2019, there were significant changes in opioid-involved death rates:

Opioid-involved death rates increased by over 6%.
Prescription opioid-involved death rates decreased by nearly 7%.
Heroin-involved death rates decreased by over 6%.
Synthetic opioid-involved death rates (excluding methadone) increased by over 15%2.
you should let the CDC know they're focussing on the wrong thing!

you should actually care about this one, because it affects white people, often-times middle-of-the-road worker types who fall into it because of a workplace accident or by putting too much trust in their physician. i realize you demonize other drugs pretty easily because they're used by black people or other undesirables.

Last edited by uziq (2021-11-30 21:18:36)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

do you really think i claim 'the war on drugs has failed' because i have a personal stake in it? my life has never been adversely affected by the war on drugs, dilbert. i don't have any skin in the game. as i've tried to point out to you, countless times, for middle-class white people the illegality of a drug is a near-irrelevance. they're going to take them anyway and they will never be the ones who lose their job, house, or freedom because of it.
So why do you care?

Most people who take illegal drugs and fuck up their lives would find a way to fuck up their lives if drugs weren't available.
They'd be sniffing petrol, or skateboarding into trucks, or doing some other stupid thing to wreck their own lives.

And generally its not the weight of the law coming down on them that fucks up their live, its the fact they can't function, hold down a job etc due to their drug use.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

you should actually care about this one, because it affects white people, often-times middle-of-the-road worker types who fall into it because of a workplace accident or by putting too much trust in their physician. i realize you demonize other drugs pretty easily because they're used by black people or other undesirables.
OK, lets extradite those jews who caused it from Israel and strip them of their remaining multi-billion dollar fortunes, I'd be fine with this.
uziq
+492|3444
i care because immense amounts of money and time are spent on a hopeless endeavour.

it pretty transparently immiserates people, for the sake of an easy news headline (‘tough on crime!’), to satisfy a basically religious moral impulse (‘drug users are sinful and self-indulgent!’) and, most pressingly, because it serves to support and enrich a vast fucking private prison industry.

i know it’s a hard concept for you to grasp dilbert, but not everyone’s position or opinion on something is motivated immediately by their own fEeLinGs and personal stake in the matter. i’ve never been afraid of losing my freedom or life because of drug use in the entirety of my 20s. it was a free for all. i don’t know a single person who had ever fallen foul of the law because of their recreational drug use. i don’t even know a drug dealer who has been locked up.

drug addicts are absolutely people who need help. the entire medical and public health community are clear on this. penalisation, making someone a felon and keeping them from getting a job in the future, or, worse of all, sending them to prisons where drugs are fucking easier to get in many cases than the outside, doesn’t fix shit. it’s a black hole of misery.

for a ‘STEM type’ you are weirdly moralistic and impervious to statistics.
uziq
+492|3444

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

OK, lets extradite those jews who caused it from Israel and strip them of their remaining multi-billion dollar fortunes, I'd be fine with this.
of course your takeaway from the immense issue of the US opioid epidemic, involving purdue pharma and an entire system of prescriptions and enablement, is bEcAuSE JeWz.

do you have any idea what a fucking crank you are? everyone on this forum points this out to you. you do know you have a screw loose, right? maybe all that alcohol had damaged your frontal lobes.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

i care because immense amounts of money and time are spent on a hopeless endeavour.
So does gambling, yet not a peep out of you.

it pretty transparently immiserates people, for the sake of an easy news headline (‘tough on crime!’), to satisfy a basically religious moral impulse (‘drug users are sinful and self-indulgent!’) and, most pressingly, because it serves to support and enrich a vast fucking private prison industry.
Britain doesn't have a private prison industry yet plenty of people manage to die of drug overdoses.

People are going to immiserate themselves, typically its taking drugs that does it.

Look at the Ryan guy I posted earlier, probably earning $200,000 a year at a mine site, five years later he's addicted to meth and a vegetable.

iTs t3h m0RalIseRs w0t duN hiM In
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

of course your takeaway from the immense issue of the US opioid epidemic, involving purdue pharma and an entire system of prescriptions and enablement, is bEcAuSE JeWz.

do you have any idea what a fucking crank you are? everyone on this forum points this out to you. you do know you have a screw loose, right? maybe all that alcohol had damaged your frontal lobes.
No, thats what you said, try to keep up - with yourself

uziq wrote:

from a public health point of view, the number of people being taken out by prescription drug addictions, due to the easy availability of dr's 'scrips, is a much more pressing issue than cocaine use. entire communities in america, especially in rust belt towns, are essentially benzo or opioid zombie towns. nobody is in work and everyone is on that good Sackler supply. that's a social blight.
uziq
+492|3444
gambling is legal? erm, what is your point? apply some logical consistency here, dilbert. if people want to harm themselves and take risks with gambling ... they are allowed to. get your head around that!

increasing numbers of people have been dying in the UK due to the policies of the tory government. they changed public health policy away from one of treatment and 'managing addict's lives' to one of punishment and demonisation. drug deaths have literally doubled in the last 10 years, immediately attributable to this change in policy. try reading some UK news sometime. it is the very definition of 'needless misery'. they changed the policy for a political reason and now more people are dying. very rational! very scientific!

i'll link this again. it's 10 minutes long and is specifically about the UK's approach to drug addicts.

Look at the Ryan guy I posted earlier, probably earning $200,000 a year at a mine site, five years later he's addicted to meth and a vegetable.
amazing. let's rely on an anecdote and a facebook profile you stalked whilst being a sad bastard to make a a claim about, erm, the opioid epidemic and drug addiction tout court. very god-brained STEM thinking. how would you know about his personal life or mental health? how would you know what led him to become a drug addict? you are literally just moralizing based off, erm, a facebook post and a news article. how wise and mature of you. you just get a thrill out of moralizing for its own sake, like any self-righteous person with confidence issues.

if your takeaway from my mention of the Sacklers is that i was being anti-semitic or highlighting their jewishness ... then you are truly off the deep-end. my point was that the drugs are obtained perfectly legally from a major corporation/respected family.

Last edited by uziq (2021-11-30 22:05:28)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
The Sacklers pushed opioids and incentivised everyone in the supply chain to get them dispensed inappropriately - they aren't respected any more.

So we're talking about Britain now? I thought your gripe was with American policy.

Drug addicts dying is a relatively small problem compared with, say, the excess deaths caused by the NHS as a whole being in a parlous state.

Why do you always focus on drugs? The bottom line is you think everyone, especially you, should have access to all the drugs you want with no hindrance.
uziq
+492|3444
'the war on drugs' was engaged in by the US and UK predominantly. the UK was the lapdog in this policy as the US 'pushed' it via her allies and international organizations like the UN.

i don't focus always on drugs? not sure how that's your takeaway from 10,000s of posts on any number of topics.

you have a weird moral fixation with drugs. i approach them with a sane and level-headed view. people are going to take drugs. it is one of the constants of human society, from the neolithic to now, from the mushroom-scoffing tundra heathens of scandinavia and siberia to the potion-brewing shamans of the amazon.

taking an excessive interest in what other people choose to do with their own bodies, like getting annoyed by their idea of identity or use of pronouns, is generally for thin-lipped and anal-retentive conservative types who can't bear to let people just live their lives as they want.

my generation are very casual about drugs. does that mean everyone takes them? no. but i would be willing to bet that most 20 and 30 somethings in the UK know someone who regularly takes drugs, or have been around them in recreational spaces like parties, bars, clubs, etc. they are not shocking and do not scandalize. they're really not that important, in the grand scheme of things.

the war on drugs, like the war on terror, is one of the biggest policy failures in recent memory. literally decades down the toilet and nothing achieved. that is something worth discussing. i don't see my 'obsession' with it any more than you have an obsession with pointing to the failures of the bush-blair years.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I don't have a fixation, you keep bringing them up out of the blue and whining about legalisation - you're the obsessive.
uziq
+492|3444
i was posting in response to people being angry at injection sites, i.e. things that help addicts with measurably good outcomes.

it's weird that religious conservatives (and you, a man of science who seems somewhat out of place amongst the moral crusaders) want drug addicts to suffer more or die out of sight or something.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I've made no comments on injection sites, I don't care, no-one wants an injection site near them including you, injecting drug addicts should be in a hospital really.

When have I said I want drug addicts to "to suffer more or die out of sight" ?

You're obsessed and incoherent.
uziq
+492|3444
you seem to take a basically prurient pleasure in watching drug addicts suffer and get their 'just deserts', even going so far as to spend your spare time stalking rando's facebook profiles. and i'm obsessed? i don't see myself stalking random people from news articles. weirdo.

i have no problem with injection sites in city centres or in hospitals or wherever they made need to be. not typical that someone proposes building an injection site in the middle of a well-to-do suburb. there aren't many homeless drug addicts there.

there's already medical facilities in the centre of bristol centre, there to be used by whomever gets in trouble on a saturday night. 99% of them are drunks, of course.

https://i2-prod.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/article987465.ece/ALTERNATES/s1200b/Drunk-Tank-02.jpg

https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article11764541.ece/ALTERNATES/s1200c/SWNS_DRUNK_TANK_09.jpg

as with injection sites and facilities for drug addicts, the idea is to keep them away from hospitals which could be putting their resources towards other, more pressing forms of emergency care. seems sensible chap!

Last edited by uziq (2021-12-01 00:38:43)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

you seem to take a basically prurient pleasure in watching drug addicts suffer and get their 'just deserts'
I suppose you mean just desserts, and no, I don't take pleasure in sick and mentally ill people suffering.

even going so far as to spend your spare time stalking rando's facebook profiles. and i'm obsessed? i don't see myself stalking random people from news articles. weirdo.
Took literally 10 seconds

i have no problem with injection sites in city centres or in hospitals or wherever they made need to be.
Nowhere near you in other words.
uziq
+492|3444
it's just deserts, as in 'he got what he DESERVED', not 'he got a delicious banoffee pie for his troubles'. you can check the OED if you need an authoritative source (you have to pay a subscription though).

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dicti … st-deserts
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dicti … ish/desert

desert

in British English
(dɪˈzɜːt )

NOUN
1. (often plural)
something that is deserved or merited; just reward or punishment
2. the state of deserving a reward or punishment
3.  virtue or merit

Word origin
C13: from Old French deserte, from deservir to deserve
anyway, tomato/tomahhhto. good job though! do you want me to put you on for a couple quid a hour? i'll delegate you some edits. i heard you're in need of a job and i hate to see a man down and out on his luck in middle-age. you 'desserve' a second chance!

Nowhere near you in other words.
my apartment is in a city centre, rofl. literally within a 5 minute walk of where that mobile 'drunk tank' is parked every weekend. good job chap!

same reasoning as for allowing nightclubs and music festivals to have drug-testing facilities and 'safe spaces' with qualified personnel. people are going to take drugs one way or other: you can moralize about, wait for the inevitable medical emergency, and place stress on the emergency services and hospitals, or, you know ... you can get pragmatic about it and let people test their drugs for purity in the fucking spaces they're going to take them in.

of course, that upsets the cultural conservatives who have a moral problem with people having fun in whichever particular form that takes.

SCIENCE !!!

Last edited by uziq (2021-12-01 01:23:56)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
People are going to rape and murder, maybe they need support vans too.
uziq
+492|3444
except drug taking is a personal choice with personal risks and doesn't harm any other person.

rape and murder tend to involve victims, other persons, who have things done to them that isn't their wish.

you weren't part of your school debating club, were you?

equating people taking an MDMA pill and feeling euphoric whilst dancing, or, alternatively, a heroin addict who is homeless with ... a murderer. OK dilbert. go and have a lie down.
Larssen
+99|1880
I'll accept that the drug enforcement policies have not produced the desired result, though the chart you linked about cocaine prices is only up to 1994. I wonder what it's like today.

Anyhow as far as cocaine and opium goes legalisation is out of the question. All you will achieve is legitimation of cartels in south america, or parties like the Taliban during the occupation of Afghanistan, and their business models. These are also terrible drugs; everyone dislikes people on coke highs, nevermind the effects of opium based drugs.

The question I would ask is: how can we reform drug enforcement to be more effective? Should the focus exclusively be on tracking and stopping transport as our technological tools are getting better? Should our approach vis-a-vis south america change? Do users need to be held accountable? Esp. in the case of cocaine, it's often the high income individuals subsidising the trade and funneling money to murderous organisations.

Last edited by Larssen (2021-12-01 01:41:56)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

except drug taking is a personal choice with personal risks and doesn't harm any other person.

rape and murder tend to involve victims, other persons, who have things done to them that isn't their wish.
But duuuuude rape and murder have been around for like 1000s of years man!
Indian mystics raped people, south american shaman like murdered people all the time!
Its like totally traditional!
https://theoddpast.files.wordpress.com/2018/08/aztec.jpg?w=750&h=484

Drug taking involves victims, they're just remote from you so you don't care.

https://www.nydailynews.com/resizer/Tya1FlhZFOWh3poyLpvyuV_QMiQ=/1200x0/top/arc-anglerfish-arc2-prod-tronc.s3.amazonaws.com/public/JUL7YBG6JL4IUB7PXOUN4VFOAM.jpg

You can nicely rationalise it as 'well if drugs were legal this wouldn't happen' but they are illegal and it does - you don't care.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2021-12-01 01:48:04)

uziq
+492|3444
truly one of your finest arguments, this. you are on magnificent form dilbert.
uziq
+492|3444

Larssen wrote:

I'll accept that the drug enforcement policies have not produced the desired result, though the chart you linked about cocaine prices is only up to 1994. I wonder what it's like today.

Anyhow as far as cocaine and opium goes legalisation is out of the question. All you will achieve is legitimation of cartels in south america, or parties like the Taliban during the occupation of Afghanistan, and their business models. These are also terrible drugs; everyone dislikes people on coke highs, nevermind the effects of opium based drugs.

The question I would ask is: how can we reform drug enforcement to be more effective? Should the focus exclusively be on tracking and stopping transport as our technological tools are getting better? Should our approach vis-a-vis south america change? Do users need to be held accountable? Esp. in the case of cocaine, it's often the high income individuals subsidising the trade and funneling money to murderous organisations.
agree re: heroin/cocaine. as dangerous and deleterious to health as alcohol and nicotine. which, it must be said as a matter of form, are very fucking bad for you and, wrt cartels, have even been involved in slavery as a crop (tobacco).

they should be decriminalised, though. it’s senseless to punish drug addicts. no one gets addicted to heroin for fun.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard