Larssen
+99|1886

uziq wrote:

Larssen wrote:

I am seeing strong overlaps between incels, engineers, mensa, conspiracy nutjobs and extreme right wing political views. Some gold from the comments in the atricle:

That's certainly what you want people to believe... And, it shows the depth of the Lefts lack of moral character, i.e., that you prefer that we all act like stupid sheep...do what we're told, when we're told and by anyone you say we should pay attention to, irrespective of their IQ, morals, or vicissitude.
Quick fact check: IQ's were what got us to the moon and lack of IQ's is why were haven't been back. IQ's were what caused the creating of the US Constitution and lack of IQ's is why Americans have fewer Freedoms today than yesterday and why we accept BS such as this as true or factual, regardless of the actual needs and wants of Americans. Further, a decided lack of IQ's is why Russia and China are the two most powerful countries (and Richest) in the world and why the US is now an official third-world country... Just as you decided we should be. Nice work.
This article was so bad I couldn't finish reading it. That the author, Simonton, is a "distinguished" professor of psychology at UC Davis left me wondering how ignorant the professors without "distinguished" in front of their name are. Potential students, beware; steer clear of a university that employs such people; you will not receive an education.

(...)

I have perused the comments for this article and the
consensus seems to lean toward the flaws of Simonton's discussion. It's almost as if the author painted a red
bullseye on the writing with the suggestion it be destroyed. If I had the time and was so inclined I could do a stellar critique of this article. I have to believe that the author accomplished his main (and perhaps only) objective; to be published.
There is no bragging to be done. I was assessed as reading on a sophomore in college in the beginning of the fifth grade. My achievement in school continued apace. The problem was and is;the achievements most people desire are empty. And most "smart" people aren't. The average iq of Doctors, lawyers,judges, college professor, are about 124. Not very bright. Not bright enough to recognize brilliance. As most people aren't. In fact when your that much smarter,they think you are the idiot. Genius doesn't stand a chance.
Dilbert, these are obviously your people. Do you by chance have a mensa certificate somewhere?
https://www.reddit.com/r/CriticalTheory … y_against/

linked to me today.
Ah the tories, linking random racist street protesters with critical race theory as taught in university to make a push for censorship of education.

It's amazing how she masks it in a seemingly reasonable argument. Of course everyone would condemn a protester shouting uncle tom or whatever to a black police officer. Of course there's a point to be made about the somewhat more toxic activism that spawns when protests of any sort happen. Yes, I'm sure there may be a professor or two who seem all too eager to use their voice/authority to incite protests (nothing new here though).

But what does that have to do with critical race theory? And how for christ sake does that lead to the conclusion that we must outlaw its teaching? Wait till she hears about marxism in economics, the horror!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718

Larssen wrote:

uziq wrote:

Larssen wrote:

I am seeing strong overlaps between incels, engineers, mensa, conspiracy nutjobs and extreme right wing political views. Some gold from the comments in the atricle:

That's certainly what you want people to believe... And, it shows the depth of the Lefts lack of moral character, i.e., that you prefer that we all act like stupid sheep...do what we're told, when we're told and by anyone you say we should pay attention to, irrespective of their IQ, morals, or vicissitude.
Quick fact check: IQ's were what got us to the moon and lack of IQ's is why were haven't been back. IQ's were what caused the creating of the US Constitution and lack of IQ's is why Americans have fewer Freedoms today than yesterday and why we accept BS such as this as true or factual, regardless of the actual needs and wants of Americans. Further, a decided lack of IQ's is why Russia and China are the two most powerful countries (and Richest) in the world and why the US is now an official third-world country... Just as you decided we should be. Nice work.
Dilbert, these are obviously your people. Do you by chance have a mensa certificate somewhere?
https://www.reddit.com/r/CriticalTheory … y_against/

linked to me today.
Ah the tories, linking random racist street protesters with critical race theory as taught in university to make a push for censorship of education.

It's amazing how she masks it in a seemingly reasonable argument. Of course everyone would condemn a protester shouting uncle tom or whatever to a black police officer. Of course there's a point to be made about the somewhat more toxic activism that spawns when protests of any sort happen. Yes, I'm sure there may be a professor or two who seem all too eager to use their voice/authority to incite protests (nothing new here though).

But what does that have to do with critical race theory? And how for christ sake does that lead to the conclusion that we must outlaw its teaching? Wait till she hears about marxism in economics, the horror!
Trump ordered federal departments and agencies to stop doing training on racial sensitivity and critical race theory. He called it racist IIRC but didn't go as far as calling it 'Racist against White People" though like 99% of the people who applauded his move read it like that.

Racial sensitivity training makes me uncomfortable too and I like to think I am not a Social Justice Warrior on racial issues. But I think it is very low brow to straight up say "we aren't doing any racial sensitivity training" and "critical race theory is bad". I think the low brow racism is the one most minorities deal with day to day and find most annoying. (Very few blacks are probably interacting with post saying we need to westernize Africa or something) So seeing the president go about the issue like that definitely stirs up resentment.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
Good morning, I just wanted to give a shout-out to Rush Bader Ginsburg. Pretty bad ass of her to not retire when she was still in her early 80's instead of dropping dead at nearly 90 and at the worst possible moment.

Another old person who stuck around too long just like Clinton, Biden, Sanders, and Trump.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

If she retired under Obama, the Republicans under McConnell would have probably still done everything in their power to block a successor until after the election.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
Democrats lost the Senate in 2014. She could have retired in 2012 at the age of 79.

Selfish extremely selfish of her.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

I won't deny that she was stubborn about it, but predicting someone like Trump or someone like him might have been a stretch unless you're The Simpsons.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX
There was no stretching involved to predict the Republicans would game the selection.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3451
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
https://old.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout … _out_of_a/

One of the worst cases of police abuse I have ever seen. Thank god for body cams.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6735|Oxferd Ohire
Just imagine they're Muslim, mac
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
If the cop or victim was Muslim one or the other would have gotten beheaded.
uziq
+492|3451
i think it's safe to say that if you or any of your loved ones are having a mental health crisis in the states, do not call the cops.

i must have seen about 5 videos this year of people having psychotic episodes or in emotional distress, maybe even a few examples of people with life-long learning disabilities, just being fucking murdered by cops over the most routine shit. some relative calls the boys in blue out because they've lost control of a situation or a person has gone missing, for e.g., and the cop comes out and sends the poor person off to the morgue.

deeply fucked up and upsetting to see.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6735|Oxferd Ohire
Might be able to specifically ask for an ambulance but that probably costs money. I usually don't see a cop on the scene with an ambulance for house calls.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

SuperJail Warden wrote:

https://old.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/jk8cv8/officer_literally_beats_the_living_crap_out_of_a/

One of the worst cases of police abuse I have ever seen. Thank god for body cams.
Ah yes, "stop resisting." The eternal meme.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718

RTHKI wrote:

Might be able to specifically ask for an ambulance but that probably costs money. I usually don't see a cop on the scene with an ambulance for house calls.
I don't know how hard it would be to just have a dedicated mental health police unit who are trained to deal with these issues without killing anyone. We have special gang units, right. There are more sad people in America than gangs.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Better training, better pay, better people. Deescalate. We don't need a police force so at odds with the American public.

Of course for this to happen you know like 500 billion dollars is going to be sunk into some international consultancy.
Larssen
+99|1886
You don't need mental health police, you just need police who are not trained primarily to control a situation by force. It's as though the entire human dimension to interpersonal conflict resolution is ignored or even subdued in recruits.

The video is just sad. Why you would start berating and beating someone who is obviously distressed and has mental issues, moreover who poses no danger, is beyond me.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-10-29 12:09:26)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

I don't think every beat cop should be a licensed therapist or anything like that. Just maybe a little bit of empathy and awareness.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
Are we poverty stricken Angola? We can afford to have 1 or 2 mental health officers per police force. My town has something like 200+ cops. They can find a way to hire at least one or .5% of their force.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6735|Oxferd Ohire
then the one time one isnt on duty the person suffering a breakdown gets beat down
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

i think it's safe to say that if you or any of your loved ones are having a mental health crisis in the states, do not call the cops.

i must have seen about 5 videos this year of people having psychotic episodes or in emotional distress, maybe even a few examples of people with life-long learning disabilities, just being fucking murdered by cops over the most routine shit. some relative calls the boys in blue out because they've lost control of a situation or a person has gone missing, for e.g., and the cop comes out and sends the poor person off to the morgue.

There are still going to be a lot of situations where a crazy person with a knife does need to be shot.
uziq
+492|3451

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

There are still going to be a lot of situations where a crazy person with a knife does need to be shot.
er who is claiming otherwise? but a mentally retarded person or someone in emotional distress needs to be talked down, not summarily executed.

as larssen quite commonsensically said above, police should be there to de-escalate situations, not act like special forces in a siege-storming scenario. the job is to keep the peace not to mete out punishments. a lot can be achieved by a conversation, in the case of someone in distress. you don't encourage a suicidal person to jump or shoot at them with a sniper rifle, do you? i mean does any of this shit need to be said?

the man in the above video had the police called because he was sleeping in his car, or at least so the given account goes. why did he need to be beat-up again?
Larssen
+99|1886
In my little article posting frenzy I feel this one is definitely worth pasting as it very accurately highlights many contemporary issues. Fantastic read:

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/a … a-dasgupta

The most momentous development of our era, precisely, is the waning of the nation state: its inability to withstand countervailing 21st-century forces, and its calamitous loss of influence over human circumstance. National political authority is in decline, and, since we do not know any other sort, it feels like the end of the world. This is why a strange brand of apocalyptic nationalism is so widely in vogue. But the current appeal of machismo as political style, the wall-building and xenophobia, the mythology and race theory, the fantastical promises of national restoration – these are not cures, but symptoms of what is slowly revealing itself to all: nation states everywhere are in an advanced state of political and moral decay from which they cannot individually extricate themselves.

Why is this happening? In brief, 20th-century political structures are drowning in a 21st-century ocean of deregulated finance, autonomous technology, religious militancy and great-power rivalry. Meanwhile, the suppressed consequences of 20th-century recklessness in the once-colonised world are erupting, cracking nations into fragments and forcing populations into post-national solidarities: roving tribal militias, ethnic and religious sub-states and super-states. Finally, the old superpowers’ demolition of old ideas of international society – ideas of the “society of nations” that were essential to the way the new world order was envisioned after 1918 – has turned the nation-state system into a lawless gangland; and this is now producing a nihilistic backlash from the ones who have been most terrorised and despoiled.
More dramatically, great numbers of people are losing all semblance of a national home, and finding themselves pitched into a particular kind of contemporary hell. Seven years after the fall of Gaddafi’s dictatorship, Libya is controlled by two rival governments, each with its own parliament, and by several militia groups fighting to control oil wealth. But Libya is only one of many countries that appear whole only on maps. Since 1989, barely 5% of the world’s wars have taken place between states: national breakdown, not foreign invasion, has caused the vast majority of the 9 million war deaths in that time. And, as we know from the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Syria, the ensuing vacuum can suck in firepower from all over the world, destroying conditions for life and spewing shell-shocked refugees in every direction. Nothing advertises the crisis of our nation-state system so well, in fact, as its 65 million refugees – a “new normal” far greater than the “old emergency” (in 1945) of 40 million. The unwillingness even to acknowledge this crisis, meanwhile, is appropriately captured by the contempt for refugees that now drives so much of politics in the rich world.
I keep resisting myself from editing and throwing in more paragraphs because all of it is so well put and written. Must be one of the best articles I've stumbled across this year.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-10-31 15:11:55)

Larssen
+99|1886
I'm replying to myself now but worth checking out the intellectual wasteland that is the response of some far right (or far left?) idiots to the above mentioned guardian article. Note the extensive amount of time devoted to aggressively assailing or stereotyping the author rather than constructing an actual argument (which in the end doesn't at all engage with the points of the article...), possibly because the guardian's refusal to reply or engage with this guy made him bitter.

http://bilbo.economicoutlook.net/blog/?p=39086

It is even funnier to read this terribly written piece in the knowledge that the guy is a professor of economics in Australia.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-10-31 17:03:13)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Larssen wrote:

Note the extensive amount of time devoted to aggressively assailing or stereotyping the author rather than constructing an actual argument
Have you met uziq?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard