uziq
+492|3444
jay is 40, i am 30. and i am not in a hurry to have children before i have finished my own education. i'm fine, old boy, don't you worry.

i still think you should perhaps be a little grateful for your excellent start in life, gratis of the taxpayer, and just a smidgeon more humbled before you start ranting on about 'taxpayer funding education'. you are a product of taxpayer-funded education and very quickly declined to 'pay it on' in the UK. instead you spend your time raving and ranting at 18 year olds who want to, shock horror, read books for their education. note that any humanities student today in the UK or australia is paying a hell of a lot more for it, and getting in far more debt for the privilege than you ever did for your degree.

shut the fuck up, basically. tilting at the same old windmills in 2020. christ.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Honestly, since it was brought up, I'd rather the government subsidize someone to "sit around for years reading old books" than to enable someone to sit around playing xbox outside a palace in the middle east while we dump loads of DU on places where people live.
uziq
+492|3444
the computer science graduate field is already flooded as it is. the earnings potential of new starters had its bottom drop out about 3-4 years ago. it was much-publicized in the news here in the UK, at least, where it has the highest unemployment rate of any degree. the same thing happened with law in the 90s and early 00s. 'do law', they said. 'law is a stable and great career', they said. fast forward 5 years and the law society is complaining that there's about 12 law graduates for every full-time contract, and it was depressing wages and creating life-long paralegals.

the same thing has happened to computer science. 'learn to code' is honestly a meme at this point. people have been saying it for like 20 years. it's not the yellow brick road that it once was. it's not even clear how 'coding' ability is going to fit in to the world of future work, where flexibility and constantly pivoting career is going to be the norm. graduates in many fields are going to have to think seriously about being lifelong independent contractors or freelancers. that type of job security really isn't for everyone. great for a childless dilb, though, living at home with his parents.

if anything, 'learn to code' is advice for people to not go to university at all. just skip the debt, outmoded academic languages, and theory that employers don't care about altogether.

Last edited by uziq (2020-06-21 00:24:31)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

It's probably better to have a certain mastery over mathematics and the logical process of computer coding than to master any one programming language. These are things that can be utilized elsewhere. I don't know anyone still working in dos qbasic outside of niche "for funsies" users.

My introductory class to the subject used Visual C. When I was in college, we didn't even bother with low level until we were finished with the segment on boolean algebra.

A bullet point from the "population-based health management" section in wikipedia's epidemiology article:

• Efficiently and effectively provide care for members of that population in a way that is consistent with the community's cultural, policy and health resource values.

Isn't it amazing how things overlap sometimes? That a humanities sort of learning of a culture could be applied to one of the sciences.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6097|eXtreme to the maX

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

It's probably better to have a certain mastery over mathematics and the logical process of computer coding than to master any one programming language. These are things that can be utilized elsewhere.
Exactly, hence 'learn to code' not 'learn a programming language'.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Isn't it amazing how things overlap sometimes? That a humanities sort of learning of a culture could be applied to one of the sciences.
Sure, however there are things which don't need to be done to death by millions of people to the exclusion of all else, and it really could be a class tacked on to most degrees.

As I said, humanities depts are going to need to adapt to survive.
uziq
+492|3444
all departments have to ‘adapt to survive’, please stop talking in such management platitudes as if you’re making a point.

dilbert vs the academic humanities. a riveting spectacle!

surely a change in australia’s funding model is exposing a fundamental flaw to the humanities! an existential threat!
uziq
+492|3444

Dilbert_X wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

It's probably better to have a certain mastery over mathematics and the logical process of computer coding than to master any one programming language. These are things that can be utilized elsewhere.
Exactly, hence 'learn to code' not 'learn a programming language'.
except these things aren't valued at all in employers now, who don't want to train people on the job, expect them to jump straight into the roles with cutting-edge programming languages and contribute to project work. they don't want someone who is 'good with theory' or can talk a lot about boolean logic.

they want results not theory, delivered products not math.
read: https://www.techspark.co/blog/2019/03/0 … try-needs/

really you can google any of this and read any number of industry magazines, institutional reports, news stories, etc. bemoaning the fate of your average comp sci graduate. they are uniquely poorly equipped for the tech sector and have the worst employment stats of any graduate. derp derp, 'lets axe humanities and promote computer science', says dilbert.

most university courses in computer science are (necessarily) too slow to respond to every single new and future development, too. academics don't re-tool the syllabus every 3 years to radically reorient it towards, say, big data or machine learning/AI. those are the rapid growth industries at the present and most university curricula say very little about them.

looks like the STEM subjects are going to have to ... adapt to change!!!

Last edited by uziq (2020-06-21 01:50:20)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

My side point in all this anyway was that if you want to do anything at all related to computer programming, it's useful to have a working grasp of mathematics and computer logic. Makes keeping on top of new languages a bit easier than learning stuff top-down all the time. Other helpful skills involve being able to work well with other people in a project. Kind of funny when you think about it, considering how much I've seen group projects in school get panned by armchair educators who say schools should be preparing people for jobs.

I think knowing how to code and being able to get right into a programming project is rather the basic requirement for the job.

If I'd gone further down that path I'd probably have ended up trying my hand at indie game development upon seeing what it was like to get and keep that kind of job.
uziq
+492|3444
i think the fact so much cavilling has to do be done to fit the idea of formal-theoretical university CompSci into the job market should tell you just about all you need to know about this idea to 'tailor' education to 'in-demand job-related skills'.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I have a friend who did a comp sci degree twenty years ago. Its set him up nicely, he keeps himself up to date, in fact he's an international guru and keynote speaker on something or other, he has a business with a single business partner, no employees and it allows him to spend six months of the year skiing.

But yeah I bet he wished he'd not gone to uni and really nailed Fortran when all the big companies wanted Fortran programmers.
uziq
+492|3444
way to miss the point that the entire industry is now complaining about how out-of-touch and ill-prepared CompSci graduates are for the rapidly developing tech industry.

sorry, chap, looks like STEM subjects are just going to have to adapt to survive in this 'job-relevant' era of education.

and what exactly is your point with that anecdote? great for him. meanwhile i did literature for my degrees and could move to the south of france tomorrow and edit freelance for the rest of my days with a very good quality of life. wowsers! english degrees really are the best!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Wait, I thought academic subjects at top notch unis were equally rigourous and valid forever.

After Brexit I think you'll have a struggle escaping Bristol's humidity and migrating to France.
You'd probably like it though, the south of of France is very erm multicultural now.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

As an aside, I've read several commentaries from science PhDs, who far from boasting seem a little embarrassed about it, certainly don't want to be called "doctor," admit they weren't the best students, and downplay the correlation between credentials/schoolwork and the quality of actual lab work where things like virus research get done.

People doing groundbreaking work, not one word of smarm against humanities. No moment spared for STEM smugness.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
People who actually work don't care much except for your quality of work, and if you actually do any.

And there are plenty of entitled top-notch graduates flipping burgers.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-06-21 03:39:13)

uziq
+492|3444
please show me some statistics and evidence that 'top-notch graduates are flipping burgers'. shouldn't be hard for a man of science.

Wait, I thought academic subjects at top notch unis were equally rigourous and valid forever.
i'm not the one triumphing the arrival of 'job-relevant' university courses -- that's you. i'm just saying that, evidently by that measure, the STEM subjects are equally poorly prepared. hence why the entire tech industry press are writing concerned articles about computer science graduates (who have double the unemployment rate of, erm, humanities graduates).

so you harrumphing on and on with glee about how 'humanities are just going to have to adapt' should also realise that, in the case of your beloved 'learn to code' example, the STEM academy has to adapt to 'job relevance' too.

amazing how you tie yourself in knots, dilbert. you poor frustrated manlet.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Comp Sci has always had issues with the market moving faster than college courses, its been the case since the first transistor was fired up.
The theory barely changes though.
uziq
+492|3444
so you see the fatuousness of introducing market-based logic into education, then, and the value of teaching non-job-relevant fundamentals, theory, reflection and review, etc. good-o. glad we got there in the end.

it's not like physics or chemistry graduates, after doing their 3 years, are automatically au fait with the cutting-edge of research and industry, or are readily equipped to go into financial or banking jobs, either. they also teach the fundamentals and theoretical basics.

or should universities seriously re-tool their curricula every 5 years to suit the latest emerging trend or market opportunity? we can have the compsci cohort of 2020--22, the class of python, the GitHub society, the big data generation ...

Last edited by uziq (2020-06-21 04:00:16)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I guess the point is the govt believes physics and chemistry graduates are still more likely to be useful to the country than humanities graduates, hence they've stopped subsidising them and have moved the subsidies to subjects which are apparently useful and productive, Australia still being largely primary production and industry.
uziq
+492|3444
i'm sure you can use your superior intelligence to realize the problems inherent to rather pervious terms like 'useful' and the ineffable wisdom of governments to define same.

were the traditional australian universities ever there to serve 'primary production and industry'? i don't think so.

it's a political decision, as i said in my first post, and frankly i don't care what political programme the australian govt decide to prosecute. but market-based logic, 'usefulness', 'job-relevance', etc. are all flimsy concepts and will not end with the humanities.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5349|London, England
Asking universities to replace job training is a terrible idea. Asking the government to pick and choose winners and coerce people into certain degree paths is also a terrible idea. The only sane way to correlate market needs with specific degree paths is to let actuaries set loan rates based on default rates. Certain schools, and certain degrees, will have higher default rates and thus students taking out loans should pay higher rates. If nothing else, this would result in universities being more selective and abandoning programs that attract low achievers just looking for a parchment.

That out of the way, job training is not the responsibility of universities. There's no way for them to keep up, and they shouldn't want to anyway. A university degree is supposed to be foundational. It's where you go to learn theory and ideas, and not all of them will be useful in a job setting. So what? I had one elective in college that taught me rudimentary design, the rest was all courses in materials science, thermodynamics, fluids, machine design etc. and yes, humanities courses as well. No one should expect a recent grad to be fully formed and ready to go. Universities are not, and should not be technical schools.

Last edited by Jay (2020-06-21 05:09:50)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3444
jesus me and jay agree on something, universities of all things.

dilbert agrees too, of course, because he talks up the benefits of 'useless' knowledge and wide learning at university whenever he wants to talk up his own education.

he's just angling desperately to get yet another tedious 'humanities are bad' argument into d&st. it has been, what, 6 weeks since his last one?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I see far too many people for whom education ended when they walked across the stage. For those people, a college education was a waste of time. They were just checking the box for white collar employment.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3444
sure, so long as it's obvious that it applies to a helluva lot of graduates regardless of discipline or faculty.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Lastly, the push to make every academic field have some useful place in society is also what has led to the present state where universities have trained people to be professionally aggrieved. Good work, utilitarians.
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard