unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

I'm like right on the threshold, so I can jump between one or the other at my convenience like a social chameleon.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719
I assumed you are the oldest person here.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

I'm guessing I'm in the upper end, but I'm certainly not over the hill yet.
uziq
+492|3451
how old?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

uziq
+492|3451
oh that’s young brooo
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719
Are you married?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Heck no.

e: might have happened at one point, but I wasn't up for raising someone else's kid and getting stuck in the legal quicksand. All due respect to stepdads.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6105|eXtreme to the maX

coke wrote:

BTW anyone else noticed that China and India have started a full on shooting border dispute, casualties reported on both sides, after a large buildup by the Chinese recently and apparent incursions into Indian territory and vice versa (according to China).
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-53062484
Apparently they used rocks and iron bars so it doesn't really count.

China seems to be in the mood of Japan just before Pearl Harbour, angry, arrogant, nationalistic and lashing out in every direction.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3451
lmao japan just before pearl harbour. what, you mean systematically and officially at war for over a decade?

japan invaded manchuria in china in 1931. the second sino-japanese war officially began in 1937.

pearl harbour wasn't some boiling point or new escalation. japan had been on a militaristic footing since, erm, pretty much at least 1904 when they invaded russia.

if you make wild historical comparisons, at least have the basics down.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
China has been building up its military, building military bases, weaseling its way into the cyber-infrastructure, political structure etc of many countries for about a decade.
Korea and Vietnam were basically wars with China, so yeah we're heading towards a century of on-off war with China.

My comparisons are apt, APT!
uziq
+492|3451
i tend to find that if an analogy requires a lot of squinting and shimmying to make it click, it's a very bad analogy.

the circumstances and reasons for japan's imperial expansionism and china's current conflicts are totally different.

comparing everything to WW2 is a sort of tedious pop-historical trope.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I'm sue you can explain it to the Indians.
uziq
+492|3451
yes, soldiers tussling on a mountain ridge in a punch-up is just like the lead-up to pearl harbour.

an analogy is meant to enlighten and explain, dilbert. it is meant to be an access or shortcut to knowledge. otherwise, it has no function.

you twisting everything to fit some 'china and japan are bad here is some WW2 info' is very confusing.

please do better.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719
The psychology of Imperial Japan and modern China are different. The Japanese wanted to expand and be seen as the equals of the European powers. Over the time that Japan was getting its footing as a great power, China was getting victimized by the Europeans. The Chinese think they need to defend and protect themselves from outside powers and influences. That sort of paranoid thinking can lead to them blundering their way into a fight with the west the same way Japan's confidence lead them into conflict with the west.
uziq
+492|3451
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
This should generate some discussion.

If you want to study arts and humanities, you will simply have to pay for it yourself.

Experts say this is essentially the effect of the Federal Government's proposed overhaul of tertiary education.

The plan more than doubles the cost of studying most humanities subjects at university, but slashes the cost to students of what the Government deems to be "job-relevant" courses.

It means someone studying humanities or communications will be in the same fee bracket as law students.

An arts student's contribution to the cost of their degree is now higher than someone doing medicine.

For someone doing humanities, the cost of their contribution to their degree is now almost exactly equal to the cost of teaching the degree.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-20/ … n/12374124

Thanks to years of browbeating from Uzique I can see that huge manatees have their place, but they're going to need to adapt to survive.

Its not as if we're in a world where the choices were religion, literature or alchemy, things are different now, and we have enough lawyers and baristas already.
uziq
+492|3451
literature as a discipline was founded ca. 1900. hardly the age of alchemy, dilbert.

the 'liberal arts' went back to the middle ages, and included rhetoric and logic, music and math, as well as the study of classics/scripture.

as for the 'baristas' comment, it's pretty much beneath ridicule. well done for recycling tropes more commonly found in the comments section of right-wing tabloids, posted by septuagenarian ex-contractors in their golfing argyle. none of it accords with any reality. i can tell you that nobody from my cohort ended up working in a coffee shop.

take a look at the employment statistics and earning statistics. i think you'll find less difference between the humanities and your average STEM subject, particularly by the time the graduates are 30+, than you readily imagine. there are outliers, of course, and engineering is probably one of them, like medicine. but your average physics graduate is not any more employable or making great amounts more than your average history graduate; in fact, many of the 'talked up' subjects like computer science are disastrous for employment prospects. and we are surely living in the age of computer science, aren't we? make u think.

australia's funding decisions is completely up to them. you are a rich enough society to afford free university, if you had the political wherewithal. australia has some top-rate institutions for humanities which are respected worldwide -- sydney, melbourne, macquarie, monash, etc. it's a shame if you give them a bitter political pill to swallow.

in general i wouldn't celebrate the privatization of education and the insidious creeping in of market-based logic. it will not end with the humanities. in fact, in the UK it began with modern languages (french, spanish, german, italian, etc.) and classics, the outliers, and has now pretty much got hold of the entire higher-education establishment. think very hard about what you're celebrating. so a government is going to decide what is 'job-relevant' in any given term and rehaul the university sector accordingly? what happens when the 'in demand' graduate sector is totally overwhelmed with many more graduates than it can handle, after they've all been financially induced to take the govt-led incentives? have fun with that.

it sounds like the next 5-10 years is going to be full of macroeconomic uncertainty and huge change -- enough long-term structural change has already been underway with automation, the rise of competing nations, etc -- so i'm sure the universities are going to really embrace their new role of predicting the 'in demand' jobs and turning out narrowly-educated worker bees for the brave new world of tomorrow!

i have no problem with there being institutions aimed at 'job-relevant' education. these are called polytechnics and i think the majority of people should go to them. one of the changes we have seen here in the UK is, after 10 years of austerity and cut-backs, and now this fatal blow to foreign student money from covid, most 'polytechnics' which upgraded to university-status in the Blair years and started offering (joke) degrees in 'philosophy' and 'literature', are now axing those courses first. i am not sad to see them go. they are the equivalent of jay's book reports at naval college.

Last edited by uziq (2020-06-20 07:37:51)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
TLDR

Maybe the best thing humanities depts could do is imbue oafish engineers with some culture.
I didn't need it obviously but there are people out there.
They could work like the Confucious institutues.

Equally I think humanities students should have some real world leaning injected into their esoteric and pointless courses.
Some coding, maybe lathe work, for example.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-06-20 18:54:20)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Human thought down to vagary topics should be a huge part of any college education. A programming language doesn't have that sort of permanence.

If STEM focused on just engineering, code, and how to solder a diode to a resistor, sooner or later we'll have a Megaman situation on our hands.

Even a UAE newspaper weighed in:

In recent months, world leaders have mobilised seemingly every technological resource at their disposal to stem the threat of the Covid-19 pandemic. Evidence and scientific opinion have gained newfound respect; decision makers have arguably become better at listening to scientists and following their directives.

But the virus has also exposed social problems that, by their very nature, go beyond science: deep-rooted health and social inequalities, a fractured political response, mental health challenges associated with home confinement. All this points to systemic issues that are broader than the immediate public health emergency. Here, science still has a role to play, but it is a supporting one to the humanities and social sciences.

To judge by news reports, the humanities are 'nice to have' - think of the entertainment value of balcony music or an online book club - but not essential for helping resolve the crisis. But as the impacts of public health measures ripple through societies, languages, and cultures, thinking critically about our reaction to SARS-CoV-2 is as important as new scientific findings about the virus. The humanities can contribute to a deeper understanding of the entrenched mentalities and social dynamics that have informed society's response to this crisis. And by encouraging us to turn a mirror on our own selves, they prompt us to question whether we are the rational individuals that we aspire to be, and whether we are sufficiently equipped, as a society, to solve our own problems.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Thats great but should the govt be subsidising people to spend years reading old books?
Do we need legions of experts on Foucault or people who can research viruses?

Coding teaches many transferable skills and rigour.
uziq
+492|3451
2020 and dilbert is still upset about the humanities and trying to have a dig every time he can.

it’s pretty sad to be honest with you. didn’t you leave university three decades ago? let it go.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I'm paying for their degrees now son.

Oh actually I'm not. Thats progress.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-06-20 23:28:30)

uziq
+492|3451
a person who got a free university education in the UK, then took his graduate skills and expertise to another country, complaining about paying for other’s education. priceless.

also don’t call me ‘son’ you eunuch. you’re going to die alone.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Being beaten by Jay in the reproduction stakes makes you mad I guess.

And I would have stayed if Blair hadn't filled my country with 'refugees'.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-06-20 23:30:23)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard