unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

I like how Hong Kong can drag on and on, yet when a "professional gamer" gets banned for political reasons the internet explodes like that of all things is the last straw.
uziq
+492|3449
how is hong kong just dragging on and on? don't confuse your ignorant news cycle or social circle in america with the world. it has been the 2nd biggest news story here for weeks next to brexit. it's a huge issue of vital importance to many people. a lot of people are directly suffering because of it.

or are you really taking gamers and fucking reddit neckbeards as some sort of political weathervane?

Last edited by uziq (2019-10-09 06:41:08)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716
Most western people following the rioting don't care about Hong Kong's freedom. They are just hoping the whole thing spirals into a civil war in which hundreds of millions of Chinese people are killed. That's the only way manufacturing jobs might come back to the U.S. for the drug addled football fans of the Midwest.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3449
lol. quite an image. europeans and the british specifically feel a little differently about hong kong, we have closer colonial and business ties, i think. it's a huge story here and there have even been protests in sign of solidarity (and counter-protests) in UK cities.

anyway, continuing on our point about western people not caring, erdogan has just started to wipe out the kurds, hence fulfilling a long turkish ambition in the region.

imagine being the kurds, supported and heralded as freedom fighters by the previous american administration, then sold out seemingly in 48 hours by a guy who changes his mind more often than a dementia patient trying to choose breakfast at the hospice buffet. what an utter disgrace.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

ffs, uzique, you can be so fucking exhausting sometimes. Remember your explosive, righteous indignation when I said I owned a pair of beyers? Then you simmered down after I said they were on sale? Maybe try catching yourself on overreactions at least once out of every ten snippy posts.

Hot, HK related news items that appear on my phone whenever I open up the feed are not what I meant when I said "the internet." Did you really need that clarification? Use your brain. I'm frustrated that it took something stupid like a gamer getting banned, of all things, to blow up my emails, inboxes, messages, and other social media after what seemed like an apathetic lull. I'm not frustrated that it disappeared from news media, because OF FUCKING COURSE IT HASN'T.

I'm not seeking to minimize the situation, nor am I "bored" of it. I'm aware of how important it is to many people. I don't need your damnable chiding over that (nice way to indirectly paint me as some callous, apathetic monster, by the way). Fuck you.
uziq
+492|3449
if that's what blows up your emails then you need to unsubscribe from a few mailing lists. the only reason i heard about a gamer getting banned is because it involves blizzard. that is not 'the internet', it's your nerd version of the internet which you are mistaking for the whole.

social media has been blowing up for the entire duration of the HK unrest? it's one of the main avenues of protest and communication?

again, sorry but you seem myopic. it hasn't been dragging 'on and on': it has been front page news. that your phone lights up now that a gamer gets banned says more about you than 'the internet'.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716

uziq wrote:

.imagine being the kurds, supported and heralded as freedom fighters by the previous american administration, then sold out seemingly in 48 hours by a guy who changes his mind more often than a dementia patient trying to choose breakfast at the hospice buffet. what an utter disgrace.
It's all a small price to pay for 4 years of upsetting liberals. 4 years of upsetting your cultural enemies before they seek revenge is a prize worth any cost.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

I think you're taking "dragging on and on" the wrong way. Maybe that was a poor choice of words. I continually receive news about Hong Kong in different inboxes. But having it spike because of Hearthstone, or whatever the fuck, felt surreal. NY Post. Business Insider. MSN. BBC. CBS. Business/tech sections. Totally myopic version of the internet. Sure.
uziq
+492|3449
well i guess presenting it as 'the last straw' (in their supposed view) was what i am speaking up about. the only people who regarded that as the last straw in the matter are a bunch of reddit neckbeards who shouldn't be paid much mind anyway. gamers in general are not a good demographic to consider seriously for politics. they are only interested in world events when women models get imported into their battlefield game or when MMOs change their design to have less cleavage on show.
Larssen
+99|1884
I'm reluctant to be very supportive of the protests, seems increasingly clear there's a more violent subset of protestors who are hell-bent on an open clash with the Chinese government while misguidedly believing "the West" will help them out. Instead of freeing hong kong they might just cause the end of semi autonomous governance.
uziq
+492|3449
well it was effectively the beginning of the end of semi-autonomous governance anyway. hence the protests. durrrrr.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716
People underestimate the support for the CCP in mainland China. The CCP has overseen 30 years of economic development and progress. The last 30 years of the U.S. meanwhile has been turmoil. Our government is probably the less legitimate among it's people of the two.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

"The last straw" was meant in more of a sarcastic sense. I suppose I was floored enough that I was too glib with it and didn't meet your exacting writing expectations.

But the spike in outrage did spill over into non-gamers. I've been getting links from non-gamers and seeing snippets on non-gamer groups full of definite non-neckbeards where HK had died down to a dull roar. I wouldn't be surprised to see messages about it in place of Trump memes from boomer relatives later today.
uziq
+492|3449
every chinese person i have met has been fiercely nationalistic, to the point of chauvinism. maybe make-believe americans who want to see another revolution in china think the people will rise up in some imagined scenario. but, yes, anyone with the faintest grip on reality knows that china has the best ratings. yuuuuuge ratings

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EE75v9kXoAInV6g?format=jpg&name=medium

Last edited by uziq (2019-10-09 08:45:34)

uziq
+492|3449

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

"The last straw" was meant in more of a sarcastic sense. I suppose I was floored enough that I was too glib with it and didn't meet your exacting writing expectations.

But the spike in outrage did spill over into non-gamers. I've been getting links from non-gamers and seeing snippets on non-gamer groups full of definite non-neckbeards where HK had died down to a dull roar. I wouldn't be surprised to see messages about it in place of Trump memes from boomer relatives later today.
i'm pretty sure the south park/NBA episode has done more to push it to the forefront of cultural discussion than a hearthstone player. i mean, come on. that is some niche nerdy shit, unnamed.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

That was a spike too, but this felt way fiercer to me. South Park largely floated by me in a haze of Winnie the Pooh clips, but today I am being made acutely aware that a disgruntled employee put a piece of paper over Blizzard's "all voices matter" courtyard plaque.

I haven't followed Blizzard news in years.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716
The people who think the CCP was owned by the "epic" southpark tweet are brain dead. I am sure the CCP just feel awful about their trillions in wealth that comedy Central is going to get locked out of. Comparing their leader to a cartoon character on an English language board means jack shit to the people building new cities out of nothing every year.
Larssen
+99|1884

uziq wrote:

well it was effectively the beginning of the end of semi-autonomous governance anyway. hence the protests. durrrrr.
The moment carrie lam withdrew the bill there was an opportunity for diplomatic engagement. Instead, the protests evolved. Over time the message changed, the demands expanded, the rhetoric became more confrontational. There's a conscious effort by some to spark actual violence. They want the Chinese to respond with excessive force.

I'd be interested to see how this all plays out once the protests die down.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6629|949

Larssen wrote:

uziq wrote:

The moment carrie lam withdrew the bill there was an opportunity for diplomatic engagement. Instead, the protests evolved. Over time the message changed, the demands expanded, the rhetoric became more confrontational. There's a conscious effort by some to spark actual violence. They want the Chinese to respond with excessive force.

The protest demands evolved based on the HK government's reaction to the protests. It's incredibly misleading to paint the message coming from the protests as a nebulous set of demands. Don't forget the use of triad and police violence as the protests escalated. It seems like you only want to criticize the protesters for not like, being all diplomatic as their heads are getting bashed in by new-wave Pinkerton thugs.

The most recent protesting coalesced around the opposition to a proposed extradition bill, but the roots and key players trace back to the Umbrella Revolution and Occupy Hong Kong movement from 2014. The movement has always been about increasing HK autonomy/limiting Chinese influence on Hong Kong politics. The very election of Carrie Lam is seen as illegitimate through this lens, so it's disingenuous to scold the protesters for not engaging on a diplomatic level. If you recall the result of that movement, diplomatic engagement led to essentially zero concessions by the Hong Kong/CPC establishment. Meanwhile, people were arrested and served jail time, and a few have supposedly gone missing, which is a pretty good fucking reason to protest against an extradition bill in my opinion.

For someone obviously steeped in international politics, this is a hard swing and a miss for you - the protesters NEVER saw Carrie Lam as legitimate, because she was elected through a change in the electoral structure which gives China oversight on who can actually run for Chief Executive of the SAR, which triggered the movement these protesters are borne from. The extradition bill is a very real threat to any present and future protest and an erosion of liberties, based on the results from the 2014 Umbrella Revolution/Occupy movement.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6103|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

lol. quite an image. europeans and the british specifically feel a little differently about hong kong, we have closer colonial and business ties, i think. it's a huge story here and there have even been protests in sign of solidarity (and counter-protests) in UK cities.

anyway, continuing on our point about western people not caring, erdogan has just started to wipe out the kurds, hence fulfilling a long turkish ambition in the region.

imagine being the kurds, supported and heralded as freedom fighters by the previous american administration, then sold out seemingly in 48 hours by a guy who changes his mind more often than a dementia patient trying to choose breakfast at the hospice buffet. what an utter disgrace.
This is the second time the US has invited the Kurds to rise up then walked away. Are Americans congenitally anti-kurdistanic?

Some good news is Israel are now shitting themselves over Americas unpredictability towards its allies, Netanyahu's main selling point, closesness to the US, doesn't count for anything now.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Larssen wrote:

uziq wrote:

China doesn't do diplomatic engagement in internal politics, the protests will eventually be crushed, they're lucky they haven't literally been crushed to pulp by tanks already, and HK absorbed into China - thats the inevitable timetable.

The protestors would be better off spending their time figuring out a way out of HK, protest will achieve exactly nothing here.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5355|London, England

SuperJail Warden wrote:

People underestimate the support for the CCP in mainland China. The CCP has overseen 30 years of economic development and progress. The last 30 years of the U.S. meanwhile has been turmoil. Our government is probably the less legitimate among it's people of the two.
Wtf is wrong with you? I can't tell if it's just trolling or you made some weird wrong turn as an adult at some point. I've mostly skipped past your posts because they are incoherent messes, but seriously dude, you jumped the shark today.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5355|London, England

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

That was a spike too, but this felt way fiercer to me. South Park largely floated by me in a haze of Winnie the Pooh clips, but today I am being made acutely aware that a disgruntled employee put a piece of paper over Blizzard's "all voices matter" courtyard plaque.

I haven't followed Blizzard news in years.
The part where the censor is watching over Stan's shoulder and making him do edits didn't do it for you? Aren't you a superhero movie guy? Don't you know that every script goes to China for approval by their censors before it's even made? Chasing after Chinese dollars has allowed the Chinese to censor us. This has been going on for decades. We sit here reading about freedom of speech protests on campus and other silliness when the autocrats of the world are busily censoring our own internet and speech through our whorish technology and entertainment companies.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3449
i thought you were pro free market and pro capitalism, jay? it makes complete sense for film studios and game companies and so on to make their products appealing to the biggest developing market in the world. there’s a whole lot of cinemas in china, pal. too bad you’re not into free enterprise!!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
The free market and democracy are two different things, and they're not compatible.

If companies can maximise their profits and make the best return for shareholders by censoring their own content doesn't capitalist theory mandate thats exactly what they must do?

So Jay, do you want a perfectly functioning free market or do you want democracy? - Its time you decided, or you can continue with writing incoherent messes of posts, your choice.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard