uziq
+492|3422
they are both mobilised by fears of climate change/future inequality societal collapse. whatever terrors stalk their collective imaginations, they are essentially mooting new future ways of living (let's not say utopias) that deal with a world radically altered by climate change or mass rioting/social unrest. the right wing and the left wing are both now thinking about trigger points, breaking points, mass unrest, etc. so democrats like AOC put the fear of god into you but nutso libertarians like peter thiel who essentially want to stockpile their wealth offshore, build cities for the megawealthy 'elect', and let everyone die off and pick over the bones of a post-global warming society, somehow don't bother you? between the trans-humanists and the accelerationists, there's a lot of batshit crazy, very rich and very powerful people who subscribe to right-wing ideologies that basically say 'fuck it' to the majority of humans. oooook. hunger games was a very bad book and movie, fyi.

this is what you've got so upset about?

"Guaranteeing a job with a family-sustaining wage, adequate family and medical leave, paid vacations, and retirement security to all people of the United States."

"Providing all people of the United States with – (i) high-quality health care; (ii) affordable, safe, and adequate housing; (iii) economic security; and (iv) access to clean water, clean air, healthy and affordable food, and nature."

"Providing resources, training, and high-quality education, including higher education, to all people of the United States."

"Meeting 100 percent of the power demand in the United States through clean, renewable, and zero-emission energy sources."

"Repairing and upgrading the infrastructure in the United States, including . . . by eliminating pollution and greenhouse gas emissions as much as technologically feasible."

"Building or upgrading to energy-efficient, distributed, and ‘smart’ power grids, and working to ensure affordable access to electricity."

"Upgrading all existing buildings in the United States and building new buildings to achieve maximal energy efficiency, water efficiency, safety, affordability, comfort, and durability, including through electrification."

"Overhauling transportation systems in the United States to eliminate pollution and greenhouse gas emissions from the transportation sector as much as is technologically feasible, including through investment in – (i) zero-emission vehicle infrastructure and manufacturing; (ii) clean, affordable, and accessible public transportation; and (iii) high-speed rail."

"Spurring massive growth in clean manufacturing in the United States and removing pollution and greenhouse gas emissions from manufacturing and industry as much as is technologically feasible."

"Working collaboratively with farmers and ranchers in the United States to eliminate pollution and greenhouse gas emissions from the agricultural sector as much as is technologically feasible."
GOSPLAN v2.0. remember the holodomor!

Last edited by uziq (2019-09-28 15:04:16)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

Jay wrote:

I don't fear for my kids. In fact, I'm planning to have a third next year. Hoping for a girl this time.
I bet you spend your evenings and weekends driving your kids around poor neighbourhoods.

"Look, see that guy over there? Probably called Pedro. See his tiny house and shitty car?
Pedro didn't have the gumption and self-reliance to come up with a scheme to use taxpayer money to get himself ahead.
Pedro didn't get himself on a gravy train of gubmint cheese or find a rich wife with a trust fund.
Don't be like Pedro, be like your dad, the self-reliant war hero.
Or you'll end up in a tiny house with a shitty car, like Pedro."
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3422
Americans constitute 5% of the world's population but consume 24% of the world's energy.

On average, one American consumes as much energy as

o        2 Japanese

o        6 Mexicans

o        13 Chinese

o        31 Indians

o        128 Bangladeshis

o        307 Tanzanians

o        370 Ethiopians
so jay's brood are hoovering up enough provender and resources for 1,000 people in equatorial africa. but never mind, because climate change isn't that big of a deal, it'll probably be fine, and we should really really worry about progressive democrats who want to make healthcare more affordable!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

they are both mobilised by fears of climate change/future inequality societal collapse. whatever terrors stalk their collective imaginations, they are essentially mooting new future ways of living (let's not say utopias) that deal with a world radically altered by climate change or mass rioting/social unrest. the right wing and the left wing are both now thinking about trigger points, breaking points, mass unrest, etc. so democrats like AOC put the fear of god into you but nutso libertarians like peter thiel who essentially want to stockpile their wealth offshore, build cities for the megawealthy 'elect', and let everyone die off and pick over the bones of a post-global warming society, somehow don't bother you? between the trans-humanists and the accelerationists, there's a lot of batshit crazy, very rich and very powerful people who subscribe to right-wing ideologies that basically say 'fuck it' to the majority of humans. oooook. hunger games was a very bad book and movie, fyi.

this is what you've got so upset about?

"Guaranteeing a job with a family-sustaining wage, adequate family and medical leave, paid vacations, and retirement security to all people of the United States."

"Providing all people of the United States with – (i) high-quality health care; (ii) affordable, safe, and adequate housing; (iii) economic security; and (iv) access to clean water, clean air, healthy and affordable food, and nature."

"Providing resources, training, and high-quality education, including higher education, to all people of the United States."

"Meeting 100 percent of the power demand in the United States through clean, renewable, and zero-emission energy sources."

"Repairing and upgrading the infrastructure in the United States, including . . . by eliminating pollution and greenhouse gas emissions as much as technologically feasible."

"Building or upgrading to energy-efficient, distributed, and ‘smart’ power grids, and working to ensure affordable access to electricity."

"Upgrading all existing buildings in the United States and building new buildings to achieve maximal energy efficiency, water efficiency, safety, affordability, comfort, and durability, including through electrification."

"Overhauling transportation systems in the United States to eliminate pollution and greenhouse gas emissions from the transportation sector as much as is technologically feasible, including through investment in – (i) zero-emission vehicle infrastructure and manufacturing; (ii) clean, affordable, and accessible public transportation; and (iii) high-speed rail."

"Spurring massive growth in clean manufacturing in the United States and removing pollution and greenhouse gas emissions from manufacturing and industry as much as is technologically feasible."

"Working collaboratively with farmers and ranchers in the United States to eliminate pollution and greenhouse gas emissions from the agricultural sector as much as is technologically feasible."
GOSPLAN v2.0. remember the holodomor!
If I could be bothered I could compare and contrast the above with the amount of central planning and taxpayer dollars the govt directs to the military and all its contractors, and, the horror, taxes self-reliant heroes of the Randian revolution to pay for.
uziq
+492|3422
jay is very much of the noble american tradition of grasping up and punching down.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I bet Jay give his kids gallon sodas and tells them to piss in public pools - to exercise their freedoms.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

Because you embrace mass bureaucracy and accept government involvement in your life without remark. The vast majority of us do not. Every political issue in America boils down to statism vs freedom.
You keep spouting this crap, America is about level with most other countries, the population is kept stupid as they follow the gourd of 'gun rights' and.... thats about your only marginal freedom.

You personally have never lived in another country, you don't know what you're talking about. You get all your information from nutty agenda-driven websites and podcasts.
You drone on about freedom and self-reliance, yet you've spent your whole life gorging on gubmint cheese and I bet you still do. You choose to live in literally the highest tax-spend part of America with "mah shotgun" and come up with lame excuses like "its too hard to transfer my HVAC certificate" or "my friends are here" for not moving.

Its funny that you complain about leftist 'scare tactics', the horror of big government manipulating and controlling the people when your country was fooled into fighting a war multi-trillion dollar war you were actually deployed in. While we know the reasons given were false we still don't know the reason behind that do we?

Otherwise yes your right, except this "statism vs freedom" thing is just Red vs Blue infantilism, the sort of thing morons latch onto in their teens as you did, and we know the Red side is far more statist than the Blue - based on centuries of evidence, but you still don't see it.
Hardly. The only thing that could conceivably be lain at the feet of conservatives in this country is the size of our military. Clinton was winding it down after the Cold War but it was expanded under Bush, Obama and now Trump. You win on that one.

I guess our national highway system can be attributed to Republicans, as it was Eisenhower's thing. The War on Drugs was Nixon. The rest? Pretty much all Democrat. Democrats like to tinker and make sweeping changes, Republicans oppose. Liberal vs Conservative. Makes sense, right? Conservatives try to maintain the status quo because they rather like the way things are. It's the nature of the political stance.

Oh, and I've never listened to a podcast. 

I live in the highest taxed state in America but it's still peanuts compared to what I would pay in Australia. I just used an online tax calculator and just my federal income taxes in Australia would double what I currently pay to the US and NY governments. I'm sure you have a ton of other taxes too, including your VAT.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

I don't fear for my kids. In fact, I'm planning to have a third next year. Hoping for a girl this time.
I bet you spend your evenings and weekends driving your kids around poor neighbourhoods.

"Look, see that guy over there? Probably called Pedro. See his tiny house and shitty car?
Pedro didn't have the gumption and self-reliance to come up with a scheme to use taxpayer money to get himself ahead.
Pedro didn't get himself on a gravy train of gubmint cheese or find a rich wife with a trust fund.
Don't be like Pedro, be like your dad, the self-reliant war hero.
Or you'll end up in a tiny house with a shitty car, like Pedro."
Nah, I'm sitting next to my oldest on the couch right now. He's watching Blaze and the Monster Machines while I'm wasting time on here. My wife is out shopping for his birthday party we're having at a kids gym tomorrow. Good times. Very domestic.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

I bet Jay give his kids gallon sodas and tells them to piss in public pools - to exercise their freedoms.
Oh man, I should. Public pools are for the poor though, we attend pool parties at the neighbors', or host our own! Soda is so passe, we've got them hooked on beluga caviar flavored seltzer.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

jay is very much of the noble american tradition of grasping up and punching down.
I don't punch down at all actually. I work in construction management, yeah? I work with people from Poland, the Dominican Republic, Mexico, Hassidics, whatever, it's like the damn UN at work. I respect people that work, I don't care what their national origin is. I also don't grasp up. I'm friendly with some very wealthy people and many of them have absolutely retarded ideas. In my experience, the more money a family has, the nuttier they will be. The husband will be off working 14 hours a day and the wife will be at home with her yenta friends getting indoctrinated in the anti-vaccine movement, spending all her money on alternative healing after her first health scare, and generally just trying to out crazy one another on the virtue signalling crap. Pass. I'm happy in my comfy upper middle class professional lifestyle.
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Except 'small govt conservatives' direct more and more money to the military and trigger agenda-driven wars - not really conservative at all starting a war is it?
Your military tax-and-spend workfare budget is immense, thats all anyone really needs to point to to expose the lie of Republicans being in favour of 'small govt conservatism'.

So apart from the military and the war on drugs, what do you mean by 'the rest' which you attribute to those pesky democrats?

Unwinding carefully laid financial regulations and triggering the worst financial crash in history - then bailing it out with generous government financial support of private companies - that sounds like small government letting self-reliance and the free market take its course doesn't it?

You keep babbling about taxes, paid for in some part by huge govt debt - once again responsible conservative govt not being responsible or conservative. I hope your kids enjoy paying off all the taxes you never paid, assuming they have a job in an economy crippled by climate change.

Once again, GST here is 10% and I don't pay $25k/yr for medical insurance and shitty service.
uziq
+492|3422
please stop pretending to have arrived in the establishment echelons of the upper-middle class, because you have a house in the burbs and 2.4 children. you have arrived in the same basic working middle-class that has always existed in industrious nations, not some upper-middle guy living with all the securities in connecticut. you are one workplace accident or debilitating disease away from being fucked, basically ... maybe then your views on healthcare and government help, will change. your views do seem to change very nicely with your own personal needs at any given time.

it's convenient that you cover your own place on the greasy totem pole of social aspiration by making sure that those just a little bit ahead of you in the game are 'nuts'. of course. very convenient. sounds like the usual papier-mâché forts of cognitive dissonance and self-justification, to me.

The National Geographic Society’s annual Greendex analysis of global consumption habits finds that Americans are least likely of all people to use public transportation—only seven percent make use of transit options for daily commuting. Likewise, only one in three Americans walks or bikes to their destinations, as opposed to three-quarters of Chinese. While China is becoming the world’s leader in total consumption of some commodities (coal, copper, etc.), the U.S. remains the per capita consumption leader for most resources.

Overall, National Geographic’s Greendex found that American consumers rank last of 17 countries surveyed in regard to sustainable behavior. Furthermore, the study found that U.S. consumers are among the least likely to feel guilty about the impact they have on the environment, yet they are near to top of the list in believing that individual choices could make a difference.
by all regards the best way to combat climate change through individual choice is to not have children; otherwise, policy-led options are touted as the next best thing to reduce emissions. you are ploughing ahead with a big family and are absolutely against policy interventions. where is all this individual freedom-based climate action going to come from, jay? just not for you, i guess? too middle-class, blessed. ahhh.

Last edited by uziq (2019-09-28 15:36:49)

uziq
+492|3422
american touts 'freedom' and worries about 'international left' whilst dumping his own huge carbon footprint onto the developing world, which is disproportionately affected by his over-consumptive patterns. but no worries! he is middle-class now, and is damn chuffed about it. and he's not going to let those scary progressives take it away from him! the equatorial regions, south-east asia, etc. can deal with it. stop indoctrinating children!!!!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

Except 'small govt conservatives' direct more and more money to the military and trigger agenda-driven wars - not really conservative at all starting a war is it?
Your military tax-and-spend workfare budget is immense, thats all anyone really needs to point to to expose the lie of Republicans being in favour of 'small govt conservatism'.

So apart from the military and the war on drugs, what do you mean by 'the rest' which you attribute to those pesky democrats?

Unwinding carefully laid financial regulations and triggering the worst financial crash in history - then bailing it out with generous government financial support of private companies - that sounds like small government letting self-reliance and the free market take its course doesn't it?

You keep babbling about taxes, paid for in some part by huge govt debt - once again responsible conservative govt not being responsible or conservative. I hope your kids enjoy paying off all the taxes you never paid, assuming they have a job in an economy crippled by climate change.

Once again, GST here is 10% and I don't pay $25k/yr for medical insurance and shitty service.
Oh, I do worry about the national debt, a lot more than I worry about climate change. If the search function worked here I'd point to some of my early posts where I called for a reduction in the size of the military and the transference of the majority of our force to a reserve function. You then accused me of wanting to pull up the ladder behind me.

I would honestly happily pay higher taxes if I knew it was going to be used by an honest government to balance the budget and pay down the debt. That's not how our government works though. If you give them money they'll spend it and maintain as much deficit as they can while tut tutting that government balance sheets are not like a household budget where everything must balance out and debt needs to be repaid. Hopefully by the time this house of cards tumbles I'll have enough wealth accumulated to go retire in Canada or something. At least they care about their budgets.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

please stop pretending to have arrived in the establishment echelons of the upper-middle class, because you have a house in the burbs and 2.4 children. you have arrived in the same basic working middle-class that has always existed in industrious nations, not some upper-middle guy living with all the securities in connecticut. you are one workplace accident or debilitating disease away from being fucked, basically ... maybe then your views on healthcare and government help, will change. your views do seem to change very nicely with your own personal needs at any given time.

it's convenient that you cover your own place on the greasy totem pole of social aspiration by making sure that those just a little bit ahead of you in the game are 'nuts'. of course. very convenient. sounds like the usual papier-mâché forts of cognitive dissonance and self-justification, to me.

The National Geographic Society’s annual Greendex analysis of global consumption habits finds that Americans are least likely of all people to use public transportation—only seven percent make use of transit options for daily commuting. Likewise, only one in three Americans walks or bikes to their destinations, as opposed to three-quarters of Chinese. While China is becoming the world’s leader in total consumption of some commodities (coal, copper, etc.), the U.S. remains the per capita consumption leader for most resources.

Overall, National Geographic’s Greendex found that American consumers rank last of 17 countries surveyed in regard to sustainable behavior. Furthermore, the study found that U.S. consumers are among the least likely to feel guilty about the impact they have on the environment, yet they are near to top of the list in believing that individual choices could make a difference.
by all regards the best way to combat climate change through individual choice is to not have children; otherwise, policy-led options are touted as the next best thing to reduce emissions. you are ploughing ahead with a big family and are absolutely against policy interventions. where is all this individual freedom-based climate action going to come from, jay? just not for you, i guess? too middle-class, blessed. ahhh.
Oh, not all of them are nuts, but most are. The guys tend to be ok. They work hard and barely see their kids so conversation tends to be about work or golf or whatever they have the ability to fit into their schedule. I don't golf and I spend as much time as I can with my kids, so conversation is limited unless they have deeper interests. Some do. Wealthy women, on the other hand, have much more pressure for social conformity and social striving so they latch onto whatever ideas happen to be trendy at the moment in order to keep up. They're exhausting to talk to.

Oh, and I take a train to work and bike a mile and a half each way to my job site where I am overseeing construction of a LEED Gold certified building. Do I win a prize?

Last edited by Jay (2019-09-28 16:09:45)

-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
I don't think you are really upper middle class unless you have a network of family members with wealth and connections that you can use to help you out. A person who moved from out of poverty to the suburbs in one lifetime is still really precarious.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Its unfathomable the you gripe about big govt with radical ideas taxing people when its big govt with radical ideas taxing people which has delivered you into the middle class and no doubt keeps you there.

In fact you love big government, just as long as it delivers for you personally.

Yes, fuck what happens to your country, let it burn and move to Canada - spoken like a true patriot.

Bottom line is you're greedy, selfish, uncaring and happy to be a hypocrite - like most Americans.

Lets hope China pulls the plug or NYC disappears under water and your money becomes worthless.
uziq
+492|3422

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I don't think you are really upper middle class unless you have a network of family members with wealth and connections that you can use to help you out. A person who moved from out of poverty to the suburbs in one lifetime is still really precarious.
precisely. upper-middle denotes a lot of connections, influence, and culture. i'm not sure a person who GI bill'd out of college, probably for the first time out of anyone in their family, into a completely normal salaried middle-class job can claim to be 'upper middle'. hanging around with a bunch of high-school teachers isn't exactly mixing with the cultural elite, either.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690

uziq wrote:

'. hanging around with a bunch of high-school teachers isn't exactly mixing with the cultural elite, either.
I feel attacked
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Eh, social connections matter more than family connections imo. I make friends wherever I go. It's how I've gotten each of my jobs in my professional career.

I'm past the point of living paycheck to paycheck, so it's a lot less precarious than you think. It required working a lot of weekends on side projects to pay down the $60k in credit card debt we racked up along the way though.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

precisely. upper-middle denotes a lot of connections, influence, and culture. i'm not sure a person who GI bill'd out of college, probably for the first time out of anyone in their family, into a completely normal salaried middle-class job can claim to be 'upper middle'. hanging around with a bunch of high-school teachers isn't exactly mixing with the cultural elite, either.
Believe what you want man. I'm not going to name drop who I hang out with on the weekends.
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Eh, social connections matter more than family connections imo. I make friends wherever I go. It's how I've gotten each of my jobs in my professional career.

I'm past the point of living paycheck to paycheck, so it's a lot less precarious than you think. It required working a lot of weekends on side projects to pay down the $60k in credit card debt we racked up along the way though.
The fact that you had $60,000 in credit card debt is a major red flag.

You sound like the guy from this commercial that I know you have seen before.

DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
Jay's been told by the actual rich people that they will let him stay with them when the resource shortages bite, and he believes them

Last edited by DesertFox- (2019-09-28 16:29:26)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

The fact that you had $60,000 in credit card debt is a major red flag.

You sound like the guy from this commercial that I know you have seen before.

A red flag for poor life choices? Guilty. Completely agree. I recognized it and took action though. I did that Dave Ramsey debt snowball thing and it worked. The big issue was my wife has always been absolute shit at following a budget and I went through a nouveau riche phase where I bought everything I always wanted but could never afford. Life lesson learned. I wish my 20s weren't an absolute black hole of earnings and taking advantage of compound interest or I wouldn't have to work so hard now to catch up to where I should already be financially. That sucks, but you can't go back in time. Hopefully my kids listen when they're old enough to understand.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3422

Jay wrote:

Oh, and I take a train to work and bike a mile and a half each way to my job site where I am overseeing construction of a LEED Gold certified building. Do I win a prize?
and no. new building is one of the least environmentally friendly activities we can do. i would argue that people in the construction industry, from architects down to lowly HVAC installers, are all far more culpable for climate change than almost any other industry save for fossil fuels. and why are you so proud of certificates? isn't that big government regulation or overweening bureaucrats? is there a greater self-con today than people in construction discussing 'sustainability'?

much like having a child. is this what your mantra of 'individual freedom and choice' leads to? because frankly it is not good enough. you're up there with the crazy inane white girls who instagram stories of their paper straws.

Last edited by uziq (2019-09-28 16:53:08)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard