Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX
That was half my point, poor people don't acquire capital and never see the benefit. Even the tiny amount the below average person could put away would beat pay-day loans and credit card interest, but they won't give up their vices.

IIRC the best predictor of being successful in business is whether your parents were successful in business, and the best predictor of being wealthy is whether your parents were wealthy.
How to improve on that cycle I don't know, there's the occasional rags to riches story people pull out to justify tax cuts and breaks for the already wealthy but trickle-down from the 1% doesn't seem to actually happen.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5350|London, England

Dilbert_X wrote:

That was half my point, poor people don't acquire capital and never see the benefit. Even the tiny amount the below average person could put away would beat pay-day loans and credit card interest, but they won't give up their vices.

IIRC the best predictor of being successful in business is whether your parents were successful in business, and the best predictor of being wealthy is whether your parents were wealthy.
How to improve on that cycle I don't know, there's the occasional rags to riches story people pull out to justify tax cuts and breaks for the already wealthy but trickle-down from the 1% doesn't seem to actually happen.
Parents that plan stuff are going to teach their kids how to plan. This teaches kids how to think out the details before making purchases and leads toward the tendency to delay gratification that all the wealth self help gurus say is necessary. The biggest difference between poor people and wealthy people, in my experience, is the tendency to have a goal, the ability to plan towards it, and the self-discipline to see it through. The wealthy check all these boxes. The poor check none of them. Why? It's not that they don't have the ability, it's mostly that they lack confidence, they have been exposed to only a narrow view of the world and don't see the possibilities, or they've fallen for the allure of "living for the moment" and view goals and plans as boring.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3712

Jay wrote:

they've fallen for the allure of "living for the moment" and view goals and plans as boring.
This is why the media is a problem that needs to be fixed. We have young people who get bombarded by messages about partying like rockstars and taking part in risky behavior especially sexual. This doesn't work out for the vast majority of people who get into it.

Too many people party themselves into early graves or get stuck with children they can't take care of because some rich people have told them from a young age to live for the moment in order to make them and their wealthy investors money.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

they've fallen for the allure of "living for the moment" and view goals and plans as boring.
This is why the media is a problem that needs to be fixed. We have young people who get bombarded by messages about partying like rockstars and taking part in risky behavior especially sexual. This doesn't work out for the vast majority of people who get into it.

Too many people party themselves into early graves or get stuck with children they can't take care of because some rich people have told them from a young age to live for the moment in order to make them and their wealthy investors money.
I think many of the issues that poor urban people deal with today has to do with the values they picked up from all the boho chic people who moved into their neighborhoods and preached libertinism. "Turn on, tune in, drop out" is all well and good when you know your wealthy family is going to eventually bail you out or that your college education will eventually land you a job when you decide poverty isn't so cool, but when you're preaching that nonsense to the people in your neighborhood without your advantages, you're going to fuck up their lives. I don't think it's a coincidence that what used to be a rather large black middle class was gutted after all the so-called revolutionaries of the 60s moved into their neighborhoods and corrupted their children. Here have some drugs. Free love man. Fuck the system. Marriage is a sham.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3445
very odd that you think the huge segments of the nation's poor are that way because of hippies. yeah, the rustbelt communities encountering an opioid epidemic and the suburbs of chicago ablaze with gang violence are because of the bohemian liberal arts kids moving into loft spaces in brooklyn.

Last edited by uziq (2019-03-06 08:20:44)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3712
I am going to have to agree with Uzi here. I would put less blame on hippies and hipsters than I would the vast media complex coming out of NYC and LA.

I am not discounting the awful economic consequences of neoliberalism and the free market in spreading misery in the ghetto. For the wealthy media people it was "all about the benjamins baby" after all.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I am going to have to agree with Uzi here. I would put less blame on hippies and hipsters than I would the vast media complex coming out of NYC and LA.

I am not discounting the awful economic consequences of neoliberalism and the free market in spreading misery in the ghetto. For the wealthy media people it was "all about the benjamins baby" after all.
Except it was bohos preaching collectivism and identity politics and feminism and not neoliberals spreading the gospels of markets. They had become middle class by embracing the market and working hard. They became poor when they embraced collectivism (welfare) and rejected "white identity". White liberals spawned the black ghettos and put the behavior you have to put up with at work up on an altar to be celebrated. Why any of them vote Democrat is beyond me. The Democrats destroyed them.
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3712

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Except it was bohos preaching collectivism and identity politics and feminism and not neoliberals spreading the gospels of markets. They had become middle class by embracing the market and working hard. They became poor when they embraced collectivism (welfare) and rejected "white identity". White liberals spawned the black ghettos and put the behavior you have to put up with at work up on an altar to be celebrated. Why any of them vote Democrat is beyond me. The Democrats destroyed them.
White liberals and feminist created the black ghetto. Interesting. And what about the white trash trailer parks and dilapidated suburbs? Did Trumpland also embrace checks notes feminism and collectivism?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

White liberals and feminist created the black ghetto. Interesting. And what about the white trash trailer parks and dilapidated suburbs? Did Trumpland also embrace checks notes feminism and collectivism?
Nope. That's a separate issue.
-Frederick Bastiat
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6768|Moscow, Russia
hehe. why is it always that way with the likes of you, jay? "embracing market and working hard didn't work for some people? - they were doing it wrong then." why does it always happen then that it's a very small minority that's capable of "working hard" themselves to the top, while everyone else ends up poor and hopeless?

Last edited by Shahter (2019-03-06 11:52:52)

if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Shahter wrote:

hehe. why is it always that way with the likes of you, jay? "embracing market and working hard didn't work for some people? - they were doing it wrong then." why does it always happen then that it's a very small minority that's capable of "working hard" themselves to the top, while everyone else ends up poor and hopeless?
Because they had different journeys that don't overlap outside of modern welfare dependence.
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3712

Jay wrote:

Shahter wrote:

Because they had different journeys that don't overlap outside of modern welfare dependence.
They both have experience with the vast international media complex and it's banking financial support base based out of NYC.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

Shahter wrote:

They both have experience with the vast international media complex and it's banking financial support base based out of NYC.
Now you're firmly in tinfoil hat territory.
-Frederick Bastiat
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6677|United States of America
Did Jay prove exactly the point of the what I quoted?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

DesertFox- wrote:

Did Jay prove exactly the point of the what I quoted?
Because it's correct. People make decisions in a free society that have either positive or negative impacts on their lives and those around them. No one makes all the right choices, but some groups make more than others.

By emphasizing hard work and studying, Jews and Asians have gone from being seen as the excrement of society to a place where others are terrified of their supposed dominance. Some cultures just suck at succeeding at modern life. Some adapted very well.

A quote from a proto-fascist doesn't change reality. I've lived with and worked among the poorest and wealthiest and it's just a sad fact of life that most poor people really are where they are for a reason. Most of it has to do with losing the life lottery at birth and being born into shitty poverty culture. Nothing can change that though. Give white trash millions of dollars and they will still be white trash. They'll buy houses and cars and wardrobes and Louis Vuitton wallpaper and be back in poverty within their own lifetime. Give that money to someone not born in poverty and they will likely invest it and live off the interest.

Last edited by Jay (2019-03-06 18:23:02)

-Frederick Bastiat
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6677|United States of America
I laughed out loud at calling one of the first Progressive thinkers a proto-fascist. Thank you.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I'll be radical and say there's a host of factors, but I don't think hippie culture is really one of them. Lefties in positions of responsibility supporting shitty countercultures for their own warped reasons maybe.

Its good for 'wall street' to keep a swathe of people poor and give them the idea they can improve their lives through briefly renting valueless crap on its journey from factory to landfill.

Rap culture is a blight, it should have stayed in the ghetto, but 'media companies' realised they could make money from it and had no shame in doing so, corporate social responsibility being a thing of the distant past. Now we have aboriginals in the back of the outback adopting 'rap culture'. Thanks Obama.

Black african culture has historically revolved around not working and achieving life goals through violence. They've been buying and selling and abusing each other for millenia, it really isn't white people's fault. If there were no white people to blame they'd be lucky to even be living in ghettos.

Of course there are other factors, telling people they don't need to learn or work and as long as they have enough attitude and personality they'll do OK dooms us all.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2019-03-07 01:48:38)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

DesertFox- wrote:

I laughed out loud at calling one of the first Progressive thinkers a proto-fascist. Thank you.
The Progressives, Fascists, Soviets and Nazis all sprang from the same philosophical tree. They all sought technocratic corporatist states built on pseudo-scientific planning. Woodrow Wilson was inspired by Bismarck in Prussia, and himself inspired Mussolini and Lenin. FDR and many of his programs were inspired by the Soviets. Was American fascism a nicer form? Yes.

Last edited by Jay (2019-03-07 03:23:17)

-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3445
jay you have some very idiosyncratic ideas. you’re a very good example of why a little reading can be a dangerous thing. putting the blame for the  decimation of the black middle-class in america on a bunch of feminists and collectivists taking LSD and dropping out in the bay area is a pretty fucking hot take, my man.
uziq
+492|3445

Jay wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

The Progressives, Fascists, Soviets and Nazis all sprang from the same philosophical tree. They all sought technocratic corporatist states built on pseudo-scientific planning. Woodrow Wilson was inspired by Bismarck in Prussia, and himself inspired Mussolini and Lenin. FDR and many of his programs were inspired by the Soviets. Was American fascism a nicer form? Yes.
statism doesn’t have to be pseudo-scientific or corporatist. you are rolling all of these huge concepts into one sweeping generalisation. the idea that the nation state should be more powerful than international markets, or should exercise dirigiste policy, is not exactly ‘proto-fascism’.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3712
The defining feature of fascism is an in group-out group dynamic. Communism is about equality both economic and social/political. The fact that they both believe in state planning of the economy doesn't mean they are ideological brothers. Their economic systems are secondary and in service to their political and social goals.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6768|Moscow, Russia

Jay wrote:

Shahter wrote:

that^ is a logical fallacy, man. welfare is a mitigation measure which only kicks in when the economics have already played out. so, if you examine a set of occurrences and their respective circumstances and the only thing you find in common is the outcome it either means that you are not looking at the whole picture, or there's nothing in common between the original occurrences at all.

Last edited by Shahter (2019-03-08 22:59:11)

if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
uziq
+492|3445
what's the engineers' take on the boeing PR disaster with their latest jet? donald trump thinks planes are 'too complicated to fly' now, lol.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
2 crashes in 3 months is scary stuff
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3712
Apparently the software that was designed to make the plane dive in response to a potential stall was having sensor issues and crashing the planes.

Planes crashing themselves. The 21st century is wild.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard