coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6679|England. Stoke

DesertFox- wrote:

^ Who the fuck is this guy?
uziq
+492|3422
it was a good post. thank you, strange guy.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Waiting for the slow burn ad edit.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

Soros Spam-Bot wrote:

This institution wouldn't move at all if not for looming international disasters.
"Disaster good"
The 'bullying' is part of a process to iron out the creases.
"Bullying good"
noone in establishment camps seriously attempted to reign in nationalist anti-EU sentiments (instead riding with them for political expediency).
"Oppressing dissent double-plus good"
One of the few countries actually intent on proactively using the EU as a vehicle to advance its national interest is France - if only other member states were as driven or involved as they were, institutional development would move much faster.
"Manipulating the EU for National advantage good - except when manipulating the EU for National advantage bad"
But as we know many governments are not. Instead, they continually ask themselves 'how can I ensure the EU impacts my autonomous decision making as little as possible?'.
"Free-thinking and self-determination bad"
you are right that using a plebiscite for a huge political choice was a massive fuck-up
"We must not take into account the will of the plebs, they must accept the lot delivered to them by their EU masters"
I cannot facepalm harder
Maybe if you read your own post you'll achieve your dream.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2019-02-27 00:26:07)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3422
plebiscites have never been used in UK democracy for any major decision. we have always been a representative democracy. the 'will of the plebs' has always been – by common consent and agreement – given to entrusted representatives. i don't know why you are making out that being anti-referendum is somehow being a 'soros' EU shill. appealing straight to people for their views on hugely complex issues, and letting newspapers and media organisations do whatever they want with the truth of the matter and their democratic function of informing people, is not a good recipe. a plebiscite has pretty much thrown us into a civil war.

Last edited by uziq (2019-02-27 00:34:25)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Steps of this magnitude which change the nature of UK democracy should be determined by the people, right or wrong, and as we know the referendum wasn't binding on parliament so I don't know what your point is. Otherwise great work A+.

I wonder if there are any precedents
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_Unit … referendum
Larssen
+99|1857

Dilbert_X wrote:

"Disaster good"
As a catalyst for change, sometimes yes.

"Oppressing dissent double-plus good"
Engaging anti-EU sentiment =/= oppressing dissent

"Manipulating the EU for National advantage good - except when manipulating the EU for National advantage bad"

"Free-thinking and self-determination bad"
It was a broader point on a. the interest of the government not always aligning with the interest of the people and b. the failure of the modern European nation state to address transnational issues

Maybe if you read your own post you'll achieve your dream.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Larssen wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

"Disaster good"
That change is Brexit, enjoy.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
We should get rid of the filibuster. The need to get supermajority votes for anything to get passed is causing both sides of the country to become impatient and radicalized as "Congress never gets anything done". It might lead to broad swings in government policy but probably not.

If anything democrats would benefit most from it. Polling shows that Americans largely want increased government services and are hostile to wealthy interest. The filibuster prevents genuine moves toward a welfare state. If the democrats create a massive welfare state due to the end of the filibuster, forcing Republicans to actually go through with dismantling it would be a disaster to them.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Sounds to me like you hate the constitution.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I don't hate it but I hate the people who revere it. It reminds me of biblical fundamentalism. "This is a sacred document handed down to us from our wise ancestors" Fuck that.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Just as knees only have so many bends there's probably an upper limit on the number of times a sacrosanct document can be amended.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Speaking of amendments we should get rid of the 2nd one. I don't think it would be impossible to do as people think. We passed an amendment banning liquor at one point and liquor was a lot more popular than guns are today.

I don't think the war on drugs or prohibition analogies work in this case either. You can't grow a gun in your closet or brew it in a bathtub. Guns will also not get you high or drunk for hours.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
The constitution doesn't exist to help peons get high, its there to protect democracy.
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6679|England. Stoke

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I don't think the war on drugs or prohibition analogies work in this case either. You can't grow a gun in your closet or brew it in a bathtub. Guns will also not get you high or drunk for hours.
You can 3d print the prohibited parts, and you will get a "high" from shooting them.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Its easy enough to make a gun, gunpowder, primers, bullets etc if you really want to, America manufactures everything gun related you can think of.
Why should it matter? The average person isn't going to be making cocaine at home.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Let me know when a homeless high school dropout working at a dollar store engineers himself an AR-15 in the spare room he lives.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
So you're saying poor people don't deserve freedom?

Let me know when a homeless high school dropout working at a dollar store engineers himself a car/tv/refrigerator/computer/mobile phone.
Larssen
+99|1857

Dilbert_X wrote:

Larssen wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

"Disaster good"
That change is Brexit, enjoy.
I get to watch from the continent so it's alright
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Thats nice, although I think its going to be slightly more of a disaster for Britain, but somewhat of a disaster for the continent.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
I was watching a PBS doc about the Gilded Age and beginning of the Progressive Era and we have learned nothing since then. It seems a fair amount of the rhetoric is just as relevant today, but they also had a hard time convincing people that a problem existed.

"There is, and always has been, a widespread belief among the more comfortable classes that the poverty and suffering of the masses are due to their lack of industry, frugality, and intelligence. This belief, which at once soothes the sense of responsibility and flatters by its suggestion of superiority, is probably even more prevalent in countries like the United States, where all men are politically equal, and where, owing to the newness of society, the differentiation into classes has been of individuals rather than of families, than it is in older countries, where the lines of separation have been longer, and are more sharply, drawn." - Henry George, 18-fucking-79.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I agree somewhat, many people don't have opportunities.
Then again many poor people don't take the opportunities they have and waste their money.

A technician at work won't do overtime, won't do work on the side, burns up his money on booze and cigarettes and still complains he's poor.
uziq
+492|3422
it’s a pretty commonly understood paradox that poor people waste their money or don’t spend it wisely. the conditions of being poor make them susceptible to poor lifestyle decisions; misery and depression caused by poverty frequently lead to squandered income; being able to only afford cheap goods means they need to be replaced more frequently.

i imagine it’s pretty easy for the factory owner to judge his workers for spending so much of their time and money at the pub. then again, he isn’t staring at a machine for 10 hours a day doing repetitive tasks that require some sort of distraction and release at the end of the day. money accrues money, capital returns investment on capital.

Last edited by uziq (2019-03-05 03:37:59)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
The fact that poor people are often terrible at managing important life stuff is used as justification for their poverty and why it is fair to have a dilapidated social safety net. It's a stupid justification but it isn't totally wrong. If America adopted Norway's welfare state, the U.S. wouldn't suddenly start looking like Norway anytime soon. In fact a lot of it like free college would be wasted on underachievers.

Still though we should have a much more expansive safety net and anyone defending the one we have now is either greedy or a fool. At the very least we should have universal healthcare. The fact that we don't while many other wealthy countries do is a stain on American society.
uziq
+492|3422
i think since the likes of piketty et al showed pretty conclusively that capital is worth more than labour and multiplies thence, the whole equivalence of wealth and status with 'work ethic' and 'effort' has been massively undermined. people get rich and stay rich because they are rich. the spending habits of the poor have nothing to do with their status as a class.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard