Roc18
`
+655|5791|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

hopefully a ban on lack of intelligence. that'll sort you out. bring the standard up.
You done Mr. Ad Hominem?
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4255
driving tests are difficult here in the uk. they are very much there for a reason. 'nannyism' to wear a seatbelt? you are insane dude.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4255

Roc18 wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

hopefully a ban on lack of intelligence. that'll sort you out. bring the standard up.
You done Mr. Ad Hominem?
did you have to google how to spell that?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5358|London, England

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

driving tests are difficult here in the uk. they are very much there for a reason. 'nannyism' to wear a seatbelt? you are insane dude.
Who gets hurt in a car accident if you don't wear a seat belt. You do. No one else. Seat belt laws are in place because insurance companies lobbied for them in order to lower their liabilities.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6690|Tampa Bay Florida
You fell right into this one!

Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4255

Jay wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Who gets hurt in a car accident if you don't wear a seat belt. You do. No one else. Seat belt laws are in place because insurance companies lobbied for them in order to lower their liabilities.
wow you are dumb.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

Jay wrote:

Forcing companies to abide by food regulations, well, if a company has bad practices and people get sick, it goes out of business, does it not? Most of our food regulation is as effective as the TSA, they can't and don't check everything, and it has more to do with peace of mind than actual safety. We still have periodic outbreaks of e.coli and other stuff.

Regulation of driving privileges are a bad joke, honestly. There are millions of uninsured and unlicensed drivers on the road every day. Besides, do you remember how stupidly easy the driving test was? Driver's license requirements have more to do with having a piece of identification, so they know where to send the tickets, than anything else really.

Do you really want to go down the reducio ad absurdum route in this argument anyway? The law was unlawful and was thankfully overturned by the courts. That's how it's supposed to work, and I'm glad that in this case, reality prevailed.
Back to the old "the companies/industry will regulate itself, and if not, it will go out of business!" triumphant proclamation from the free-wheeling capitalist.  Yes, that's how it works.  Except it doesn't.  BP didn't go out of business after the oil spill.  Hormel has food recalls all the time, and people get sick from them.  And they are still in business.  The historical precedent is that those gross-offenders don't go out of business, so why do you keep pretending the economy is some sort of self-regulating machine.  It's simply not true, backed by at least 100 years of evidence pointing to your little fairy tale not happening.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6693

Superior Mind wrote:

Cocaine, a food?
Please address this Jay.

But remember "If you can't keep a level head this forum is not for you."
Oh jesus fucking christ. SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Jay wrote:

Forcing companies to abide by food regulations, well, if a company has bad practices and people get sick, it goes out of business, does it not? Most of our food regulation is as effective as the TSA, they can't and don't check everything, and it has more to do with peace of mind than actual safety. We still have periodic outbreaks of e.coli and other stuff.

Regulation of driving privileges are a bad joke, honestly. There are millions of uninsured and unlicensed drivers on the road every day. Besides, do you remember how stupidly easy the driving test was? Driver's license requirements have more to do with having a piece of identification, so they know where to send the tickets, than anything else really.

Do you really want to go down the reducio ad absurdum route in this argument anyway? The law was unlawful and was thankfully overturned by the courts. That's how it's supposed to work, and I'm glad that in this case, reality prevailed.
Back to the old "the companies/industry will regulate itself, and if not, it will go out of business!" triumphant proclamation from the free-wheeling capitalist.  Yes, that's how it works.  Except it doesn't.  BP didn't go out of business after the oil spill.  Hormel has food recalls all the time, and people get sick from them.  And they are still in business.  The historical precedent is that those gross-offenders don't go out of business, so why do you keep pretending the economy is some sort of self-regulating machine.  It's simply not true, backed by at least 100 years of evidence pointing to your little fairy tale not happening.
Why do people buy Hormel products if they are constantly recalled? The only time I ever remember eating a Hormel product was on school trips and in the army with those prepackaged food packs full of ham salad. Shit was gross. Funny that the only times I ever ate the products was when they were given to me by the government...

As for BP, well, they paid huge fines and they're ludicrously careful about drilling now. My brother works on a drilling ship down in the Gulf and BP contracts have become a nightmare for his company because they're so terrified of having a repeat. Good. They learned a lesson. Self-regulation.

Last edited by Jay (2013-03-12 12:31:56)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4255
jay the free-thinker spouting more blind libertarian bollocks and free-market shilling. zzzz. sounds like he's been influenced by a second-rate professor!!!
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

self regulation! They are so proactive they waited for a government-mandated fine, a few people killed and environmental pollution that will probably take more than 100 years to fix.  Self-regulation at it's finest indeed!  Let's not forget trying to weasel their way out of fines, settling with the government and brushing off accountability at every possible turn.  So in summary, a company will either go out of business or self-regulate.  You're seriously delusional Jay.  Your love of free-market capitalism (I guess that's what it is, I can't really think of any other reason why you'd be so willfully ignorant) is clouding your ability to think.

JAY: the companies will regulate themselves or go out of business
KEN: except 100 years of history says that isn't the case
JAY: Well then why didn't they go out of business? Plus, self-regulation
KEN: except no.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4255
the reason people keep on buying homel products is because lay-people are stupid. hence they need a basic safety net of regulation.
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6192|Roma
https://i.imgur.com/aVZgT.gif
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6737|Oxferd Ohire
popcorns bad for you
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6693

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

the reason people keep on buying homel products is because lay-people are stupid. hence they need a basic safety net of regulation.
This, and that kind of food is very inexpensive per amount of calories received. Although it is arguably cheaper (and of course healthier) to persist off of whole foods. There in lies the lack of education.

The govt doesn't provide truthful food education ever. In elementary school they teach you the food pyramid. That's it unless you want to take nutrition in college or you do some independent research. Other places in the world don't have such a severe problem with food knowledge, because they preserve food cultures based on actual nutrition, not based on market politics.

Last edited by Superior Mind (2013-03-12 12:53:16)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

self regulation! They are so proactive they waited for a government-mandated fine, a few people killed and environmental pollution that will probably take more than 100 years to fix.  Self-regulation at it's finest indeed!  Let's not forget trying to weasel their way out of fines, settling with the government and brushing off accountability at every possible turn.  So in summary, a company will either go out of business or self-regulate.  You're seriously delusional Jay.  Your love of free-market capitalism (I guess that's what it is, I can't really think of any other reason why you'd be so willfully ignorant) is clouding your ability to think.

So you think BP should've been fined out of existence then?
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5586

So how about that Pope thing? $10 says they play it safe and pick a Euro.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

Jay wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

No, I think your pretending that the industry regulates itself is easily dismissed using the BP oil spill as a simple case study.  I could probably find one instance a year dispelling your statement.

I think the case study of BP clearly shows a) industry will virtually always only do the bare minimum needed, spend the least money possible, push back as much as possible, engage in unethical business practices in trying to skirt regulations they don't deem necessary; and b) large companies don't go out of business as a result of unethical/illegal/wrong business practices.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Jay wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

No, I think your pretending that the industry regulates itself is easily dismissed using the BP oil spill as a simple case study.  I could probably find one instance a year dispelling your statement.

I think the case study of BP clearly shows a) industry will virtually always only do the bare minimum needed, spend the least money possible, push back as much as possible, engage in unethical business practices in trying to skirt regulations they don't deem necessary; and b) large companies don't go out of business as a result of unethical/illegal/wrong business practices.
BP wasn't even the cause of the spill though, they just had the deepest pockets and so became the focus.

Transocean was doing the drilling, and Halliburton was in charge of the well capping process. BP was just the lease holder.

Besides, it was an accident, there was no willful negligence, and the operators paid for their mistake with their lives. You can't legislate away accidents. You can make them less likely, sure, but nothing is foolproof.

As for the rest, whatever, you hate corporations, I know, so the argument is pointless.
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5586

https://i.imgur.com/8tvJXdV.png
Like I have said many times before, there is absolutely nothing redeeming about the Southern states. Nothing.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5586

Macbeth wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/BxtxGd9.png

It is time for a nonEuro Pope.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/28/Median_Household_Income.svg/600px-Median_Household_Income.svg.png
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Macbeth, have you ever even left the country? I seem to remember you saying that you never wanted to leave your hometown as everything you needed was found in books and pictures...
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5586

A few times. I have been to Canada and some Caribbean islands. I may actually move to Florida soon. It is a dream to get out and leave America. I think I probably said that because you guys were ripping on my beloved New Jersey.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

Macbeth wrote:

I expect a light-skinned South American in an attempt to pull that population back into the church.  The redux of Pope JP2 naming the Virgin Of Gaudalupe the patron saint of Latin America.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard