Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4264
our government doesn't "promote" any foods. why does banning harmful foods == an enforced eating regime for you? the government has never told me once what i SHOULD eat. it has only seen fit to ban extreme examples of food that people should never have ANY INTEREST in eating, anyway. "hipster diet"? my diet is mostly meat, fruit, and vegetables. of all varieties. i don't even have 'a diet'. i eat whatever i damn please, according to my taste. but i eat in (self-governed) moderation. decent portion sizes. maybe i'll have an ice-cream. maybe two-desserts! full fat milk too, just because. but then i'll take a fucking run. never, not once, has the government's food laws impacted my life negatively. i have never thought "oh gee, i could really use 8 litres of coke inside a carton right now". know why? i'm not a fucking idiot.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6702

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Superior Mind wrote:

Jay wrote:

Oh jesus fucking christ. SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP! Refined sugar is just sugar cane boiled down and with the molasses removed. That's fucking all. PLEASE SHUT THE FUCK UP!
Exactly, does not occur in nature. Requires people to do stuff to it.
to be fair bread doesn't grow on trees either and that's been pretty kind to civilization over the millennia
It's the source for civilization- but not bread- grains.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5367|London, England
Can you eat a carrot out of the ground, or do you have to peel it? Can you eat a coconut directly off a tree or do you need to break it open? Can you eat an artichoke off the stalk or does it have to be sliced open and processed? The raw food movement is by far the dumbest thing to ever come out of hipster culture. It is serious infantile stupidity.

Last edited by Jay (2013-03-12 11:25:44)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6702
I don't peel carrots, I just scrub the dirt off.

Breaking open a coconut, cooking vegetables, these are not the same types of activities as refining or synthesizing a drug compound.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Yes, they are the exact same thing, which is why you are utterly stupid.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6702
No they aren't.
Roc18
`
+655|5800|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

our government doesn't "promote" any foods. why does banning harmful foods == an enforced eating regime for you? the government has never told me once what i SHOULD eat. it has only seen fit to ban extreme examples of food that people should never have ANY INTEREST in eating, anyway. "hipster diet"? my diet is mostly meat, fruit, and vegetables. of all varieties. i don't even have 'a diet'. i eat whatever i damn please, according to my taste. but i eat in (self-governed) moderation. decent portion sizes. maybe i'll have an ice-cream. maybe two-desserts! full fat milk too, just because. but then i'll take a fucking run. never, not once, has the government's food laws impacted my life negatively. i have never thought "oh gee, i could really use 8 litres of coke inside a carton right now". know why? i'm not a fucking idiot.
Ok so when I hear the government banning "sugary drinks" that's when I get pissed off. I agree that only extreme examples like poisonous food should be regulated and banned as well. But sugary drinks and transfats is ridiculous.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Do you know how to cook? Have you ever made stock of any sort? Vegetable, chicken, doesn't matter. If you boil that stock down far enough you end up with bullion. You can take that bullion and dump it in water to recreate a stock. It's the same sort of process that goes into sugar production. They take a bunch of raw sugar cane, dump it in water, boil off the water, and box up the remaining powder.
-Frederick Bastiat
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6702
But bullion isn't a drug compound. It's concentrated fat and flavor. What you're saying is that the production of cocaine is essentially cooking. Why not just call all forms of cooking or drug making chemistry, this way there will be less arguing over semantics?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Fuck, you must absolutely hate molecular gastronomy if you get bent out of shape over simply processed food (all cooked food is processed).
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Superior Mind wrote:

But bullion isn't a drug compound. It's concentrated fat and flavor. What you're saying is that the production of cocaine is essentially cooking. Why not just call all forms of cooking or drug making chemistry, this way there will be less arguing over semantics?
It is all chemistry. Every last bit of it.
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6641|949

no, grilling a steak and cracking open a coconut are not the same, but that's off on a tangent.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4264

Roc18 wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Ok so when I hear the government banning "sugary drinks" that's when I get pissed off. I agree that only extreme examples like poisonous food should be regulated and banned as well. But sugary drinks and transfats is ridiculous.
they aren't banning sugary drinks. i can drink as much dr. pepper and cola as my dumb ass wants. they are banning irresponsible large servings. things that kids point at on the menu and dumb/irresponsible parents buy. portion sizes that actively encourage over-consumption. nobody is saying you can't drink cola. nobody is saying, if you were determined enough, that you can't go get 4 refills and drink the exact same quantity of cola. the point is that these large portions are specifically designed/marketed to make you drink MORE than you normally would in a sitting. they encourage over-consumption of sugar, just because they exist. these food companies that offer super-size portions are not stupid. it is a carefully designed menu.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
When you brown beef or toast bread you are producing a chemical reaction called the Maillard Reaction. When you heat foods up, you are using heat to induce a chemical change in the foods you eat. When you create a salad dressing or mayonaise you are creating a chemical emulsion. It's all chemistry.
-Frederick Bastiat
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6702

Jay wrote:

Superior Mind wrote:

It is all chemistry. Every last bit of it.
Yes, of course it is. Yet we still use other words to describe the particulars of different types of chemistry.

Do you call the synthesizing of drugs in a lab "cooking?"

Last edited by Superior Mind (2013-03-12 11:37:31)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

no, grilling a steak and cracking open a coconut are not the same, but that's off on a tangent.
It all falls under the category of processing a food. That was my point. There's no chemical reaction in cracking open a coconut, correct, but it still has to undergo a process to become edible.

The utter hatred and disgust that certain people have towards 'processed foods' is facepalm worthy.

Last edited by Jay (2013-03-12 11:38:28)

-Frederick Bastiat
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6702
You're ignoring the point that refined sugar is a drug, not a food.

Also, you are the ONLY one claiming to possess hate or disgust of any kind.

Last edited by Superior Mind (2013-03-12 11:39:19)

Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5595

Impassioned arguments for shitty food
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Superior Mind wrote:

You're ignoring the point that refined sugar is a drug, not a food.

Also, you are the ONLY one claiming to possess hate or disgust of any kind.
It's not a drug, you tool. Every food produces dopamine when you eat it.
-Frederick Bastiat
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6702
Cocaine, a food?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6641|949

You guys (jay and roc) are ok with the government forcing us to buy insurance, wear our seatbelts, wash our hands after going to the bathroom if we work in restaurants, forcing companies to abide by cooking/heating/cleaning regulations, regulating driving privileges, etc.  But heaven forbid they outlaw a supersize soda! The TYRANNY!!

Would you rather the government allow a corporation free reign to include any additive, slaughter animals in any way they see fit in any type of condition, allow companies to dump rocket fuel and other industrial chemicals into the water supply, etc?

Every one of those examples above is government "limiting our freedom".  It's not black and white - you have to compromise.  It's not a bad thing to hold the ideology of "government should stay out of our lives", but you have to understand it's not practical.
Roc18
`

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Roc18 wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

they aren't banning sugary drinks. i can drink as much dr. pepper and cola as my dumb ass wants. they are banning irresponsible large servings. things that kids point at on the menu and dumb/irresponsible parents buy. portion sizes that actively encourage over-consumption. nobody is saying you can't drink cola. nobody is saying, if you were determined enough, that you can't go get 4 refills and drink the exact same quantity of cola. the point is that these large portions are specifically designed/marketed to make you drink MORE than you normally would in a sitting. they encourage over-consumption of sugar, just because they exist. these food companies that offer super-size portions are not stupid. it is a carefully designed menu.
Even if there was legislation banning supersize portions of meals I don't think that would make any difference, there are loopholes like you pointed out with the refills. Or they can say fuck McDonalds and buy a 2 liter soda from Walmart.
Roc18
`

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

You guys (jay and roc) are ok with the government forcing us to buy insurance, wear our seatbelts, wash our hands after going to the bathroom if we work in restaurants, forcing companies to abide by cooking/heating/cleaning regulations, regulating driving privileges, etc.  But heaven forbid they outlaw a supersize soda! The TYRANNY!!

Would you rather the government allow a corporation free reign to include any additive, slaughter animals in any way they see fit in any type of condition, allow companies to dump rocket fuel and other industrial chemicals into the water supply, etc?

Every one of those examples above is government "limiting our freedom".  It's not black and white - you have to compromise.  It's not a bad thing to hold the ideology of "government should stay out of our lives", but you have to understand it's not practical.
Banning a large soda is ridiculous. Insurance and safety regulations aren't. First it's the guns, then it's the food, what's next?
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4264
hopefully a ban on lack of intelligence. that'll sort you out. bring the standard up.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I'm ok with liability insurance coverage, because it gives us recourse if someone else hits us. The alternative is endless small claims court filings.

Requiring seat belts is nannyism, yes.

Washing hands is a public safety thing.

Forcing companies to abide by food regulations, well, if a company has bad practices and people get sick, it goes out of business, does it not? Most of our food regulation is as effective as the TSA, they can't and don't check everything, and it has more to do with peace of mind than actual safety. We still have periodic outbreaks of e.coli and other stuff.

Regulation of driving privileges are a bad joke, honestly. There are millions of uninsured and unlicensed drivers on the road every day. Besides, do you remember how stupidly easy the driving test was? Driver's license requirements have more to do with having a piece of identification, so they know where to send the tickets, than anything else really.

Do you really want to go down the reducio ad absurdum route in this argument anyway? The law was unlawful and was thankfully overturned by the courts. That's how it's supposed to work, and I'm glad that in this case, reality prevailed.
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard