Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6707
On my great-grandfather's immigration papers it lists his home town as some place that doesn't exist anymore.
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|6014|Vortex Ring State

Superior Mind wrote:

On my great-grandfather's immigration papers it lists his home town as some place that doesn't exist anymore.
or has the name simply changed?
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6707
Idk I remember looking it up and finding zero information on it. It was probably some village, somewhere near Odessa I think. The nazis raped the shit out of Ukraine. My family left at the turn of the century though.

Last edited by Superior Mind (2013-01-21 13:30:56)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5372|London, England

Superior Mind wrote:

Idk I remember looking it up and finding zero information on it. It was probably some village, somewhere near Odessa I think. The nazis raped the shit out of Ukraine. My family left at the turn of the century though.
My grandmothers birthplace was Ratzebuhr, Pommerania, Germany. It is now Okonek, Poland.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6707
Yeah, it's not like that. It's more like the village was probably burnt down and every resident was executed.

(Mac, you worry me.)

Last edited by Superior Mind (2013-01-21 20:53:11)

Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4269
what worries me is how americans fetishize and accessorize history like that, to better give themselves a sense of 'heritage' and 'worldliness' that they otherwise distinctly lack in the new world. americans constantly blather on about their racial-genetic make-up, and the history experienced by their fore-fathers. you talk about villages being burned down in europe without any trace of emotional impact - how could you possibly have one - but instead with a sort of voyeuristic awe: "aww, cool! history and shit, happening to me!". jay talks about a birthplace changing nationality in the course of 100 years - OH MY GOD! only thousands of square miles of europe did this in a three-decade period! why aren't you guys so excited about being born in texas, when it was still mexico? you always look back to the antique europe for a sense of gold-tinged 'heritage'. it's funny. nobody in europe, who has permanent roots here, mythologizes their past like that. but americans constantly compare backgrounds: italian-american; oh i'm ashkenazi-jew; i'm swedis-irish-madagascan, my great-grandfather fought in a bar in south africa once...  yawn.

but cool bro! you're from a village where everyone was burnt down and executed. now you can move to israel, tell all your friends you're a direct victim of the shoah, and lobby to nuke palestine! history! happening to real americans!

Last edited by aynrandroolz (2013-01-22 03:55:09)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

aynrandroolz wrote:

what worries me is how americans fetishize and accessorize history like that, to better give themselves a sense of 'heritage' and 'worldliness' that they otherwise distinctly lack in the new world. americans constantly blather on about their racial-genetic make-up, and the history experienced by their fore-fathers. you talk about villages being burned down in europe without any trace of emotional impact - how could you possibly have one - but instead with a sort of voyeuristic awe: "aww, cool! history and shit, happening to me!". jay talks about a birthplace changing nationality in the course of 100 years - OH MY GOD! only thousands of square miles of europe did this in a three-decade period! why aren't you guys so excited about being born in texas, when it was still mexico? you always look back to the antique europe for a sense of gold-tinged 'heritage'. it's funny. nobody in europe, who has permanent roots here, mythologizes their past like that. but americans constantly compare backgrounds: italian-american; oh i'm ashkenazi-jew; i'm swedis-irish-madagascan, my great-grandfather fought in a bar in south africa once...  yawn.

but cool bro! you're from a village where everyone was burnt down and executed. now you can move to israel, tell all your friends you're a direct victim of the shoah, and lobby to nuke palestine! history! happening to real americans!
Because we're all descended from immigrants while your own cultural makeup has remained relatively static?

Here you go Uzi, I am 3/8 Swedish, 3/8 German, 1/8 Polish and 1/8 Lithuanian.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6790|Moscow, Russia

aynrandroolz wrote:

yep, i always wandered about this shit, uzi. i mean i'm as russian as it gets and it doesn't fucking matter that one of my grand parents was latvian and at least two of grand-grand patents were tatar. i've no connection with that part of my heritage and it has no real meaning for me - much like galt, who comes as pretty much perfect mix of usual stereotypes associated with american people - arrogant self indulgent individualistic prick, who thinks the earth revolves around his buttocks. yet, he keeps bringing up that dubious heritage of his. i dunno, maybe it's a kind of inferiority complex - for lack of real history and culture of their own these people try to associate themselves with those, who actually have one.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
As I explained to uzi in a PM, Americans track their heritage because it provides a bit of a roadmap as to who we are. We aren't born in a vacuum, our families and family traditions have a huge impact on who we grow up to be as people. Traditions like family stories, or political beliefs, or religion, or the food that we cook at home all comes down to us from our ancestors. Little things, like the fact that I celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve because it's a tradition in Northern Germany to do so, are interesting.

America has no unifying, overarching, culture of its own. We're a mixture of a whole lot of other cultures so it's interesting to see where peoples families came from. Also, many times, it's just an overly complicated way of asking 'why does this person look different than I do?' which is an interesting question in it's own right.  And yes, many of us keep track of this kind of thing because we feel it somehow makes us unique. So what?
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4269
yep, jay's post "i'm 3/8 german, 3/8 swedish..." makes out that it's an impossibility or rarity in europe. like trans-national or cross-cultural relationships don't happen all. the. fucking. time (i'm in a committed 2 year relationship with a danish girl - gasp! - who speaks danish, and has danish genes and traditions and everything!). half of my family, traced back to the 1800's, come from the french upper classes (a defected napoleonic officer in fact, how's THAT for dinner-party heritage talk). half my family in the 1950's moved to south africa, where they have put down their own roots. know the one commonality we do share? we don't give a flying fuck about the genetic make-up of our ancestors, or some cutesy-folkish notion of 'heritage'. it never comes up in conversations with others, because we never make a big deal out of someone looking, speaking, or being culturally different in europe. jesus.

europeans really find it funny when americans fuss and make such a big deal out of 'heritage', or the 'history' in their family. oh wow your family are from a village that no longer exists! jesus christ. certain countries in europe don't even exist anymore. entire ways of life have been dismantled and destroyed in europe in the last century. heaven forbid you find an american with prussian roots, or with great-grandparents from the height of the austro-hungarian empire. they'd never shut the fuck up.

Last edited by aynrandroolz (2013-01-22 07:52:22)

Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6014|...
lol you guys

getting worked up over the most trite shit
inane little opines
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6338|Graz, Austria

Jay wrote:

Because we're all descended from immigrants while your own cultural makeup has remained relatively static?

Here you go Uzi, I am 3/8 Swedish, 3/8 German, 1/8 Polish and 1/8 Lithuanian.
Ehrm, Europe is the least static continent in terms of cultural makeup.
There has been migration, mixing and assimilation across the continent all the way to Asia for thousands of years.

I bet even the gene pool is less diverse in America.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

aynrandroolz wrote:

yep, jay's post "i'm 3/8 german, 3/8 swedish..." makes out that it's an impossibility or rarity in europe. like trans-national or cross-cultural relationships don't happen all. the. fucking. time (i'm in a committed 2 year relationship with a danish girl - gasp! - who speaks danish, and has danish genes and traditions and everything!). half of my family, traced back to the 1800's, come from the french upper classes (a defected napoleonic officer in fact, how's THAT for dinner-party heritage talk). half my family in the 1950's moved to south africa, where they have put down their own roots. know the one commonality we do share? we don't give a flying fuck about the genetic make-up of our ancestors, or some cutesy-folkish notion of 'heritage'. it never comes up in conversations with others, because we never make a big deal out of someone looking, speaking, or being culturally different in europe. jesus.

europeans really find it funny when americans fuss and make such a big deal out of 'heritage', or the 'history' in their family. oh wow your family are from a village that no longer exists! jesus christ. certain countries in europe don't even exist anymore. entire ways of life have been dismantled and destroyed in europe in the last century. heaven forbid you find an american with prussian roots, or with great-grandparents from the height of the austro-hungarian empire. they'd never shut the fuck up.
My father's family was Prussian
-Frederick Bastiat
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6673|BC, Canada
European boarders are closed, and the population density is far less, leading to less interaction between cultures and  countries.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6014|...
I take it you never heard of the EU
inane little opines
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6237|Escea

I've no idea where my family came from. Nobody in my family seems to know either so I'll just say we fell out of the sky Bean style.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I think a lot of us have a romanticized view of pre-industrial Europe where people lived in small towns with a sense of permanence given to them by the use of stone buildings being passed down from generation to generation rather than the clapboard construction we use here. Nevermind that in our own society, we view those same small towns where people are born, live and die as being cultural backwaters full of rednecks. Americans have had a very transient lifestyle throughout our history because we were settled by immigrants, and because the industrial revolution came very early in our nations history along with all of the movement of people that went with it. I think it provides an anchor point for many people to grasp on to whether it is real or not. So, feel free to look on the practice as quaint, because it is, but I think it's also rooted in a psychological need to understand beginnings and what made us who we are today.
-Frederick Bastiat
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6790|Moscow, Russia

M.O.A.B wrote:

I've no idea where my family came from. Nobody in my family seems to know either so I'll just say we fell out of the sky Bean style.
dude, according to jay it's very interesting to know that kinda stuff, even when you've no real connection with any of it - just so you can compare yours with other people, like baseball card collections or magnets on the fridges. you know, kewl stuffz.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5600

Just a way for people to set themselves apart from each other.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6673|BC, Canada
to "segregate" themselves.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6707
I describe one eighth of my family history. (He emigrated because of the Cossaks, not the Nazi btw)

You faggits think I'm trying to segregate myself, for telling a Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me?

I'll say again, D&ST is a fucking joke.

It's all long winded trolling.

Last edited by Superior Mind (2013-01-22 10:26:20)

RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6751|Oxferd Ohire

Shahter wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

dude, according to jay it's very interesting to know that kinda stuff, even when you've no real connection with any of it - just so you can compare yours with other people, like baseball card collections or magnets on the fridges. you know, kewl stuffz.
cool stuff like antigay bills
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6707
LoL
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4269

Superior Mind wrote:

I describe one eighth of my family history. (He emigrated because of the Cossaks, not the Nazi btw)

You faggits think I'm trying to segregate myself, for telling a Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me?

relax little persecuted cossack-slayer, i was commenting on american's focus on their history, not your individual comment, specifically. although the fact you even know a village got burned down, 5,000 miles away, is pretty funny. europeans are generally surrounded with their culture and heritage everyday, whereas americans view it through a looking glass.

Last edited by aynrandroolz (2013-01-22 10:32:54)

-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6673|BC, Canada

aynrandroolz wrote:

Superior Mind wrote:

relax little persecuted cossack-slayer, i was commenting on american's focus on their history, not your individual comment, specifically. although the fact you even know a village got burned down, 5,000 miles away, is pretty funny. europeans are generally surrounded with their culture and heritage everyday, whereas americans view it through a looking glass.
Could have something to do with everything here being temporary, our buildings for example, we don't seem to build things to last... European things seem more permanent, something that can always be related back to.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard