mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6748|Oxferd Ohire
us history i and ii at college werent much better than my ap us history

after that it got in depth
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5369|London, England
US History II was taught to me by this elderly black woman that turned it into a history of unions

I'm pretty sure the only reason she still had a job was because she was in a union because she was fucking awful. I had to correct her multiple times every class session.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5596

Yeah but you went to a worthless school so hush
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Hush child, the only thing Rutgers is known for is herpes.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5596

Good one, Jay. What school did you go to again?
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6010|...
Not trying to be a eurodick on a pedestal here but I've got to note that I'm amazed by the disparity in quality of academic research from the US. Throughout the years I've read both brilliant and absolute -garbage- essays of which I wonder how the guy writing it could have ever become an academic. Simple stuff like not annotating or doing so wrongly, horribly faulty argumentation or a hideously narrow unapologetic worldview and yet it gets published.

It's as if there's no nationwide, regulated minimum quality standard. Or is it just me?
inane little opines
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Umm, there is no nationwide, regulated minimum quality standard. Does the Netherlands have the same standards as Bulgaria?
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6643|949

Shocking wrote:

I'm of the opinion that the first year in uni should be devoted exactly to that. Obviously my standard of 'basic knowledge' is different, first and foremost because we're talking about historians-to-be here. Highschool grad level of understanding of, say, the ancient times just really won't do. There's many reasons why a broad scope of history should be taught in the first year. There are also many subjects, people and places in every timeframe which you hadn't heard of in highschool but turned out to be incredibly interesting and worthy of consideration in uni.

This could also be drawn from in future research, as I said before. Knowing a good tidbit of every timeperiod is rather useful in general.
If you are talking about academic research, how much can you truly teach in the first year?  Are you taking 10 history classes in the first year of university?  Seems like you would need at least that many to cover more than 'basic knowledge' to get to the broad scope of coverage.  But as MacBeth said, what's the point of getting into research-oriented history of Sub-Saharan Africa in your first year if you aren't looking to specialize in that subject.

I agree knowing a good tidbit of every time period is useful in general.  But is it necessary?  I don't think it is.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6643|949

Jay and Macbeth - stop acting like children.  Final warning.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6010|...
I don't think I could compare the states to two sovereign nations.
inane little opines
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Shocking wrote:

Why not? There's no unified university system here. The public universities are all governed by their home states, and the private universities do whatever the hell they want.
-Frederick Bastiat
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6010|...

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

If you are talking about academic research, how much can you truly teach in the first year?  Are you taking 10 history classes in the first year of university?  Seems like you would need at least that many to cover more than 'basic knowledge' to get to the broad scope of coverage.  But as MacBeth said, what's the point of getting into research-oriented history of Sub-Saharan Africa in your first year if you aren't looking to specialize in that subject.

I agree knowing a good tidbit of every time period is useful in general.  But is it necessary?  I don't think it is.
For a historian, I think it is. With the idea in mind that universities teach people to become researchers themselves, most definitely.

What's the point of getting into the history of sub-saharan Africa? Understanding world history and especially the different perspectives within this subject. It's relatively new (more or less introduced with Said's Orientalism) and could be a great help in researching any subject really. World history is probably one of the more important courses of the first year.
inane little opines
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I'd think language classes would be just as, if not more important to a historian than pretty much anything else. Anyone can pick a subject in history, read a bunch of books on the topic, and become an expert. Sifting through primary documents is what separates the exceptional historians from the ordinary. Yes, a basic overall knowledge is definitely useful, but only in that it allows someone to explore different topics and cultures before they decide on what really interests them.
-Frederick Bastiat
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6010|...

Jay wrote:

Shocking wrote:

Why not? There's no unified university system here. The public universities are all governed by their home states, and the private universities do whatever the hell they want.
Were it ever to come to a proper EU I'd like there to be EU-wide regulation for quality standards. Otherwise having a university degree in itself would mean zilch. Isn't the whole point of a degree to prove to people that you're competent in a certain area? If that's not the case the university rather than the degree starts to count which means lots of people could end up seriously duped. Not to mention what it means for competition among unis.
inane little opines
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6748|Oxferd Ohire
university counts. there is competition. yes dumb people are duped with useless degrees
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Shocking wrote:

Jay wrote:

Shocking wrote:

Were it ever to come to a proper EU I'd like there to be EU-wide regulation for quality standards. Otherwise having a university degree in itself would mean zilch. Isn't the whole point of a degree to prove to people that you're competent in a certain area? If that's not the case the university rather than the degree starts to count which means lots of people could end up seriously duped. Not to mention what it means for competition among unis.
Oh no, competition! The horror! Why do you want universal standards? Isn't it better to have variety? introduce new ideas? perhaps come up with a different set of standards? You're proposing stagnation.

You're blowing off peoples work because you dislike the way they punctuate their sentences, or cite their sources. I'd say you need to take the stick out of your ass and recognize that there are a million ways to do things, not one single standard way.

Last edited by Jay (2012-07-13 12:13:15)

-Frederick Bastiat
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6010|...

Jay wrote:

I'd think language classes would be just as, if not more important to a historian than pretty much anything else. Anyone can pick a subject in history, read a bunch of books on the topic, and become an expert. Sifting through primary documents is what separates the exceptional historians from the ordinary. Yes, a basic overall knowledge is definitely useful, but only in that it allows someone to explore different topics and cultures before they decide on what really interests them.
Ofcourse depending on what subjects you're interested in studying, but yes - ultimately you're right. All of the teachers I had were fluent in at least three languages. It's a necessity if you actually want to research certain stuff. It's literally impossible to study the history of the gaul without knowing french. You can't seriously study the cold war without being able to read russian, and so on.
inane little opines
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Generally, in American universities and colleges, the first two years are spent teaching a variety of subjects to introduce new subjects to the students, and to provide them with a general rounded education. It doesn't matter if they are in engineering school, or studying to become historians or doctors or whatever else. After those initial two years is generally where people choose their specialty. To become a true expert in a field, a post graduate masters degree is usually the path people take. Aside from a few specialized degrees (like engineering, which requires the degree to become licensed professionally), they're usually just something you put down on your resume when you're first starting your career. I know very few people that actually work within the field they majored in as undergrads (except engineers and doctors really).

Last edited by Jay (2012-07-13 12:21:14)

-Frederick Bastiat
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6010|...

Jay wrote:

Oh no, competition! The horror! Why do you want universal standards? Isn't it better to have variety? introduce new ideas? perhaps come up with a different set of standards? You're proposing stagnation.
I don't see it as healthy competition if every uni could arbitrarily assign their own quality standards. It's bad for the cities they're based in, bad for contact between universities and therefore research and confusing. I don't mind if uni X upholds higher quality standards than uni Y though there should be a universal quality -minimum- so that people at all ends of the spectrum (the student, businesses, international community & academia) don't have to fret too much about degrees and know what to expect. It saves time.

Jay wrote:

You're blowing off peoples work because you dislike the way they punctuate their sentences, or cite their sources. I'd say you need to take the stick out of your ass and recognize that there are a million ways to do things, not one single standard way.
It's not about punctuating or quotation but annotation. If the annotation turns out to be either incomplete, missing where it should be or lead to a dead end, it means you either have to do loads more work than you should or you could have your source discounted as being 'not credible', which is a pretty big deal. Annotation is one of the simplest things and should -always- be done right. There's a million different ways, as long as it's done and I can follow it. If so, no problem for me. If not, peer-review safety net & don't publish.
inane little opines
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6782|PNW

Gay Couple Eyes Lawsuit After Finding Pic on 'Hate Group' Mailer

@ Public Advocate, but be careful what you put on the internet I guess.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5596

Macbeth wrote:

I suddenly remember why I hate 4th of July so much. This white trash family was shooting off large fireworks in the street. I called the police since shooting large fireworks all over the place is fucking dangerous. The 911 operator told me people shooting fireworks isn't an emergency. After she hung up they shot another firework that went across the avenue towards the bar and hit the people there as well as a little Hispanic girl and her mother. I called the police again and they decided it was then an emergency.
BAYONNE — A 24-year-old Bayonne man ended his Fourth of July celebrations in cuffs Wednesday night when police nabbed him for possessing illegal fireworks, police said.
The 54th Street resident was arrested on West **th Street around 11:30 p.m. after police received complaints from residents, police said.
The first time police went to the area they didn’t spot anything amiss. Officers then left the area, and when they returned about a half hour later, they saw the 24-year-old holding up an explosive type of fireworks, police reports said.
The man was charged with possession of illegal fireworks and was released on a summons.
Victory
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6685|Canberra, AUS
wait, syria has chemical weapons?

i mean, i knew this, but i didn't think about it until now... boy-o.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6116|eXtreme to the maX
Pretty well the only country in the ME without chemical weapons was Iraq.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
13rin
+977|6490
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6685|Canberra, AUS
took exactly one post to get to decade-old territory, impressed guys
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard