Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6678

Because your opinion of involving the military into pop-culture is something odd is shared by the majority?

Have you even seen Katy's other video's and her choices in outfits.  She has been blatantly the red, white, and blue for ages.

"Katy Perry performs onstage during VHI, Divas Salute the Troops, presented by the USO at the MCAS Miramar on December 3, 2010 in Miramar, California.  Yeah, I pass this place whenever I'm in San Diego.

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/11550/148549_katy-perry-performs-onstage-during-vh1-divas-salute-the-troops-presented-by-the-uso-at-the-mcas-mira.jpg
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6482
patriotism and militarism are two distinctly different things. music can be patriotic without portraying the artist actually joining the military.

also if the reaction and discussion in the european media is anything to go by, yes, my shock and dismay is shared by many people.

the PR coup that sees hummers and apaches and apc's in pop-music videos marks a very bad cultural shift, indeed.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6678

As mentioned earlier, with us who know people in the military, we (of those who I know) aren't bothered by it.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6482
you're not bothered that music marketed and aimed at pre-teens and teens is basically doubling up as a military recruitment tool? or at least glamorizes the military profession? guess you want your kids to enlist then ilo, and not go into cushty asian-american professional jobs.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5369|London, England
It's amazing the way you look down on everyone around you uzi. You've bashed the military, people who read popular books, people who listen to popular music. It must be so tiring carrying around such hatred in your hipster heart for everything and everybody that isn't exactly like you.

What is wrong with joining the military, aside from the fact that you feel you are too good for the job (but you feel that way about every job so I fail to see what makes it any different).
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6678

Uzique wrote:

you're not bothered that music marketed and aimed at pre-teens and teens is basically doubling up as a military recruitment tool? or at least glamorizes the military profession? guess you want your kids to enlist then ilo, and not go into cushty asian-american professional jobs.
Well, unlike you, I consider the military an honorable and worthy profession.  Like I said, I've got relatives in the military.  A nephew, smart as hell, ROTC, officer in the military.  A friend, with military wireless training, pulling six-figures in the consumer wireless industry.  A cousin, ex-Army medic, in line to be CFO.   For my kids, ROTC at minimum.  But as it stands right now, my eldest is going into Industrial Design, so no.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6482
i don't hate the military. what a giant leap. my problem is the military putting itself into conspicuous pop-culture placements. spending money to try and ingratiate and expose itself to people in an off-guard way. the unethical side of advertising: the suggestives, the subliminals. i have a problem with that. i don't have a problem with army adverts on the television - they're an organisation that should be able to advertise like any other. but paying money to have your expensive military hardware appear in pop music videos? really? it's just a bit underhand. calm down though honey, i don't hate the military. i've said before i'd like the defense budget to be cut if possible, but that's because i have horrible, inexcusable anti-war liberal values.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6482

Ilocano wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Well, unlike you, I consider the military an honorable and worthy profession.  Like I said, I've got relatives in the military.  A nephew, smart as hell, ROTC, officer in the military.  A friend, with military wireless training, pulling six-figures in the consumer wireless industry.  For my kids, ROTC at minimum.  But as it stands right now, my eldest is going into Industrial Design, so no.
oh boy oh boy geez thanks i really wanted to know what sort of salaries your friends are on
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5597

Jay wrote:

What is wrong with joining the military, aside from the fact that you feel you are too good for the job (but you feel that way about every job so I fail to see what makes it any different).
Joining the military is basically admitting you have nothing else better to do with your life or any other opportunities. It's really the last resort. I don't see U.S. military members as anything more than people looking for paycheck.

Last edited by Macbeth (2012-04-16 16:05:50)

Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6678

Let's try this again:

"Katy Perry performs onstage during VHI, Divas Salute the Troops, presented by the USO at the MCAS Miramar on December 3, 2010 in Miramar, California.  Yeah, I pass this place whenever I'm in San Diego.

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6482
fucking god you are honestly retarded.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6482
if you don't see the difference between an army-event / performance for the troops type deal and the influence of PR on music-videos and general marketing, you are dumb as fuck. one is an obvious event in aid of the military with no pretentions about it. the other is a music video posing as entertainment whilst subtly dressing up the military and making it seem extremely appealing. one is ethical and above-board, the other is unethical and questionable.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6678

Because obviously she's never done anything related to the military prior to "Part of me".
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Macbeth wrote:

Jay wrote:

Joining the military is basically admitting you have nothing else better to do with your life or any other opportunities. It's really the last resort. I don't see U.S. military members as anything more than people looking for paycheck.
That's because you're highly jaded and can't look at it from outside of your own perspective. You know damn well that you have zero empathy.

There are a lot of highly motivated people that believe in public service that join.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6482
you
are
missing
the
fucking
point

jesus christ! go read my posts you absolute mong. where am i complaining about popstars doing things for the military?

Last edited by Uzique (2012-04-16 16:11:42)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6783|PNW

Macbeth wrote:

Jay wrote:

Not necessarily. Joining the military just means that you've joined the military. Reasons are manifold.

Do people go into emergency services because they have no other opportunities? Construction? Teaching? Accounting?

Meh.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5597

Jay wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Jay wrote:

That's because you're highly jaded and can't look at it from outside of your own perspective. You know damn well that you have zero empathy.

There are a lot of highly motivated people that believe in public service that join.
Yeah okay. 95% of people that joined joined primarily for a job.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6482
jay joined out of high civic pride

and to sponge benefits from the government whilst reading rand and quoting libertarianism on the internet
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Macbeth wrote:

Jay wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Yeah okay. 95% of people that joined joined primarily for a job.
Prove that.
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6482
well you're one of them so that's a 100% proven rate out of the current sample
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5597

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Jay wrote:

Not necessarily. Joining the military just means that you've joined the military. Reasons are manifold.

Do people go into emergency services because they have no other opportunities? Construction? Teaching? Accounting?

Meh.
Most of those people in your link were draftees in WW2. Even then joining in the largest war to ever exist at that point when your country was literally at the risk of being totally destroyed isn't the same as joining an all volunteer army of the world's hegemon that is waving big benefit packages at you.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6678

Uzique wrote:

you
are
missing
the
fucking
point

jesus christ! go read my posts you absolute mong. where am i complaining about popstars doing things for the military?
I did not refresh before you posted that second post.  So there...

In any case, I'm not bothered by it.  And that's my opinion, as well as the opinion of military people I know.  You have your opinion.  And that's where we stand.
rdx-fx
+955|6602

Classic
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6482
i hope you're not implying that's the original music video!

the original article's point was that it's clear there is some business being transacted here between mainstream media companies and the military. something below board in the realms of advertising and pr, the sort of business strategy that most people don't even approve of when it's being used for innocuous items of consumption. this is the military. a career-path where you are trained to fight wars. i have more of a problem seeing it being so gratuitously promoted and celebrated in a music video than i do, say, a conspicuous iphone product placement.

Last edited by Uzique (2012-04-16 16:34:03)

Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6678

Welcome to the world of advertisement.  Why can't the military join the brainfuck?...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard