Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6125|eXtreme to the maX
Not really, I think the banks are still undervalued - their growth will come from population increase if nothing else, miners generally overvalued, a lot of crap in between.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
13/f/taiwan
+940|5718

El Beardo wrote:

and wtf Geraldo?

"I think the hoodie is as much responsible for Trayvon Martins death as George Zimmerman was." Geraldo Rivera 
El Beardo
steel woolly mammoth
+150|5739|Gulf Coast

Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6487
Those comments are so fucking hilarious.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6793|Noizyland

It's interesting to see what the focus is on. There's race for one and hoodies and.. Skittles... it seems to me that the key focus should be on laws like Florida's 'Stand Your Ground', which essentially gives people the right to use deadly force when they see fit. This Zimmerman guy, I doubt he's a racist but he's clearly a fucking idiot. It's one thing that American law gives this idiot the right to own a handgun, it's another to give this idiot the licence to become a vigilante - if he "reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or another to prevent the commission of a forcible felony".

Zimmerman perceived Martin as a threat, he can be forgiven for suspecting that. Following, confronting and ultimately killing him because of said suspicion? This should not be okay - but it is under 'Stand Your Ground'. A law that, I'm pretty sure, exists for the sake of gun-lovers who want reassurance that they'll get to use their weapons for their intended purpose.

Now Zimmerman obviously wasn't a person that can be expected to be reasonable but that's not really my point. My point is that Zimmerman should be charged with murder and the 'Stand Your Ground' law means he gets away with it. It makes no sense, you've got a guy running around who has shown that he is willing to use deadly force on anyone he believes to be a threat - and you actually have a law to keep him from being prosecuted.

'Stand your Ground' essentially okays the practice of bringing a gun to a fist fight. Zimmerman didn't have reasonable grounds to use deadly force, that much should be clear. He was a big 27 year old man against a skinny black teenager armed with junk food. The question shouldn't be whether it was a shooting based on race or hooded sweatshirts regardless of whether it was that which made Zimmerman suspect Martin int he first place. It should be whether Zimmerman should be charged for shooting dead an unarmed civilian.

Why is this even a debate?

Even if Zimmerman "reasonably" thought Martin was a threat, even if he was fearful for his safety before and/or after being confronted, even if he is forgiven for being a fucking idiot and ignoring the police officers order to not follow Martin. At the end of the day he fucked up. He was wrong, he had poor judgement and as a result he killed an innocent person. The law should not be patting him on the back and saying "there there, we all make mistakes" it should be saying "you fucked up buddy, time to pay."
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6125|eXtreme to the maX
'Stand your ground' seems to mean you can provoke people into threatening you - or get yourself into a situation where you can later claim they threatened you - and you can legitimately kill them.

They're dead so they can't dispute your version of events - neat.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6791|PNW

13/f/taiwan wrote:

El Beardo wrote:

and wtf Geraldo?

"I think the hoodie is as much responsible for Trayvon Martins death as George Zimmerman was." Geraldo Rivera 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFQ7T8ii … AAAAAAAAAA
/Chicago Democrat.

Guess he should've followed the rules, but it's still funny that they only cared about his hood and not his preaching.

Ty wrote:

Zimmerman perceived Martin as a threat, he can be forgiven for suspecting that. Following, confronting and ultimately killing him because of said suspicion? This should not be okay - but it is under 'Stand Your Ground'. A law that, I'm pretty sure, exists for the sake of gun-lovers who want reassurance that they'll get to use their weapons for their intended purpose.
What he did was a perversion of "Stand Your Ground" and abhorrent in the eyes of a number of self-defense advocates.

Zimmerman had a number of alternatives to harassing someone into a confrontation, and he SHOULD be tried for murder. He was the author of this whole sequence of events and it wouldn't take a genius prosecutor to point out that fact.

Zimmerman's supporters try to obfuscate his crime with things like "oh, the press is just prejudiced by only releasing pictures of a younger Treyvon and an orange-shirt pic of Zimmerman," but it doesn't change the fact that the atrocity is his alone.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5377|London, England
What does it have to do with Stand Your Ground anyway? If you've been attacked and feel your life is in danger (regardless if you instigated it, sadly), you have the right to use force to end it. This is applicable (within reasonable limits) everywhere. Yes, racism was involved, yes he shouldn't have played the vigilante, but it had fuck-all to do with the law.

This is just anti-gun people using a tragedy to try to strike down a law they despise. This shouldn't even be a news story.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6172|what

Jay thinks it was Zimmerman who was attacked....
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6651|949

Jay wrote:

What does it have to do with Stand Your Ground anyway? If you've been attacked and feel your life is in danger (regardless if you instigated it, sadly), you have the right to use force to end it. This is applicable (within reasonable limits) everywhere. Yes, racism was involved, yes he shouldn't have played the vigilante, but it had fuck-all to do with the law.

This is just anti-gun people using a tragedy to try to strike down a law they despise. This shouldn't even be a news story.
Your ability to reduce things to generalities and simplistic thoughts amazes me.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6487
Killing people is ok so long as they look scary.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6651|949

Everyone coming out against Zimmerman just has an anti-gun agenda they are tying to push.
13rin
+977|6498
lol...

Tell that to sharpton.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Doctor Strangelove wrote:

Killing people is ok so long as they look scary.
Someone was murdered in the past five minutes. Why aren't you attending the vigil or posting about it? Muppet.

Last edited by Jay (2012-03-29 14:07:11)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Your ability to reduce things to generalities and simplistic thoughts amazes me.
Superposition.
-Frederick Bastiat
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5721|College Park, MD
We didn't land on plymouth rock, plymouth rock landed on us.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5721|College Park, MD
Can someone explain what's so abhorrent about a law that lets me defend myself if my life is in danger? (before some troll answers, no I'm not saying Zimmerman was right)

Last edited by Hurricane2k9 (2012-03-29 14:19:31)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6651|949

Jay wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Superposition.
Sorry, not familiar with that term
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Jay wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Superposition.
Sorry, not familiar with that term
It's the process used in mathematics and physics of breakong an object down into its component parts. Instead of seeing a house, you see four walls and a roof.

I do simplify everything, but it's because theres a lot of fluff in every argument. When I break this down I see a story that was chosen to become big because it hits all the touchpoints: racism, vigilantism, guns, perceived complicence by the police, and a gun law that the left has reviled since the day it was passed. This story is tailor made for aussiereaper just like a story about a vet saving an american flag is tailor made for shifty.

This story was picked up because of marketing and politics. Nothing really makes it special.

Last edited by Jay (2012-03-29 14:35:46)

-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5605

It's also the law that sediment layers at the bottom are the oldest and the ones at the top newest.

That geology class I took is finally paying off
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6651|949

yeah, people chase people because they look suspicious and then shoot them and don't get charged, all the time

are you trolling or just being purposely obtuse?

complicence, sorry, not familiar with that term
eleven bravo
+1,399|5278|foggy bottom

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Can someone explain what's so abhorrent about a law that lets me defend myself if my life is in danger? (before some troll answers, no I'm not saying Zimmerman was right)
can someone treyvon martin you please
Tu Stultus Es
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

yeah, people chase people because they look suspicious and then shoot them and don't get charged, all the time

are you trolling or just being purposely obtuse?

complicence, sorry, not familiar with that term
The details are irrelevant. It's one person killing another person. That happens every day. The details of this story don't make it any different than the Casey Anthony shit that people obsessed over last year. It's drama. Drama = ratings. No one involved actually gives a fuck about Trayvon Martin except his family. He's just a political pawn and a platform for people to yell at each other over stuff that is only mildly associated, like the Stand Your Ground law.

Last edited by Jay (2012-03-29 15:23:10)

-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5605

It is more than "mildy" associated with the stand your ground law. I mentioned this in the first of three parts in my critically acclaimed post
http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?pi … 5#p3784125

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard