eleven bravo
+1,399|5261|foggy bottom
David Longshanks Cameron
Tu Stultus Es
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5360|London, England
I think I'd pass if he offered up Prima Nocte on the Scottish lasses
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5261|foggy bottom
playing outlawed tunes on outlawed pipes
Tu Stultus Es
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6502|so randum
google karen gillan

wank furiously. the two scottish girls i've seen during school/uni were both filthy too. shagging anything non-scottish is some form of social mobility for them
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5360|London, England
she looks like young lindsay lohan crossed with emily browning
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6108|eXtreme to the maX

FEOS wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Romans flocked to them, why wouldn't the people of today?

Seeing something fake happening to someone compared to seeing something real happening to someone of no value - its not a huge difference.
Your last bit explains a large difference.

Unless you start getting into hard-core caste systems, that concept doesn't exist--particularly in the West.
Not true at all, towel-heads being turned to mush by air-strikes has been nightly viewing on the infotainment channels for the last decade or so.
In blurry black and white but thats not the point.

And no-one gives a shit if NFL players get their limbs mangled or their brains hammered - it also makes for great TV.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6413|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Romans flocked to them, why wouldn't the people of today?

Seeing something fake happening to someone compared to seeing something real happening to someone of no value - its not a huge difference.
Your last bit explains a large difference.

Unless you start getting into hard-core caste systems, that concept doesn't exist--particularly in the West.
Not true at all, towel-heads being turned to mush by air-strikes has been nightly viewing on the infotainment channels for the last decade or so.
In blurry black and white but thats not the point.

And no-one gives a shit if NFL players get their limbs mangled or their brains hammered - it also makes for great TV.
Of course it's true. If you can't see the difference between images of a building getting blown up and watching people cut each other to pieces or get ripped to pieces by animals--up close and personal--then your perspective on life is pretty skewed.

And nobody I've ever met has no response when they see a football player get hurt. It's normally a reaction of disgust/turning away from the image, not sticking their hands out and giving the thumbs up/down (depending on which history text you read) to have the person slain for the pleasure of the crowd.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
It wouldn't have been 'up close and personal' seeing someone die from half a stadium away.

Why do people so enjoy seeing those cross-hairs and then the kaboom?

It's normally a reaction of disgust/turning away from the image
It always is, same with horror films, 2 girls 1 cup etc, and yet they go back or watch it over, again and again.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6413|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

It wouldn't have been 'up close and personal' seeing someone die from half a stadium away.
Smells, for one. Or did you think people being rended to pieces was antiseptic?

Why do people so enjoy seeing those cross-hairs and then the kaboom?
Because you often don't see the detail that you would even see from "half a stadium away." It dehumanizes the context.

It's normally a reaction of disgust/turning away from the image
It always is, same with horror films, 2 girls 1 cup etc, and yet they go back or watch it over, again and again.
Again: people know horror films aren't real.

As to the other...I don't know anyone who watched 2g1c "over, again and again." A small part of one time was plenty. And that's not people getting ripped apart, either. It's poop...something people see every day.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS
ITT Dilbert using precisely the same logic as the "video games cause gun massacres" crowd.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Spark
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS

Jay wrote:

and then added magic hotness dust too.

she's about six foot tall too. has ridiculously long legs.

some people are just unfairly good-looking.

Last edited by Spark (2012-02-16 05:40:10)

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6407|North Carolina

FatherTed wrote:

bored

whats the outside worlds POV on scotland wanting to leave the UK?
Sounds like a good idea.  Leaving the EU would be even better.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6407|North Carolina

Spark wrote:

Jay wrote:

I'm not a Doctor Who fan, but she's a good reason to start watching.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6499

Turquoise wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

bored

whats the outside worlds POV on scotland wanting to leave the UK?
Sounds like a good idea.  Leaving the EU would be even better.
fixt
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6155|what

Scotland will just get conquered by England again. They know how to put down a Scottish rebellion better than anyone.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5587

I am no expert on European internal politics so I was very surprised to find out a third of Scots want to leave the U.K.
Spark
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS

Turquoise wrote:

Spark wrote:

Jay wrote:

I'm not a Doctor Who fan, but she's a good reason to start watching.
can actually act too. one of the rare instances of someone playing two completely different versions of the same character in one scene and having it work.

as i said... unfair.

Last edited by Spark (2012-02-16 16:01:12)

~ Richard Feynman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Spark wrote:

ITT Dilbert using precisely the same logic as the "video games cause gun massacres" crowd.
Not remotely, I'm saying everyone through the ages has enjoyed seeing dehumanised people slaughtered - we are no different.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5261|foggy bottom

FatherTed wrote:

google karen gillan

wank furiously. the two scottish girls i've seen during school/uni were both filthy too. shagging anything non-scottish is some form of social mobility for them
why dont you google her and quit telling me what to do
Tu Stultus Es
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

FatherTed wrote:

shagging anything non-scottish is some form of social mobility for them all scots
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5703|College Park, MD
The LaRouche movement is an international political and cultural network that promotes Lyndon LaRouche and his ideas. It has included scores of organizations and companies around the world. Their activities include campaigning, private intelligence gathering, and publishing numerous periodicals, pamphlets, books, and online content. It characterizes itself as a Platonist Whig movement which favors re-industrialization and classical culture, and which opposes what it sees as the genocidal conspiracies of Aristotelian oligarchies such as the British Empire. Outsiders characterize it as a fringe movement and it has been criticized from across the political spectrum.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaRouche_movement
these guys were tabling outside of my uni's student union building for like two weeks

Last edited by Hurricane2k9 (2012-02-19 13:21:44)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6155|what

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

The LaRouche movement is an international political and cultural network that promotes Lyndon LaRouche and his ideas. It has included scores of organizations and companies around the world. Their activities include campaigning, private intelligence gathering, and publishing numerous periodicals, pamphlets, books, and online content. It characterizes itself as a Platonist Whig movement which favors re-industrialization and classical culture, and which opposes what it sees as the genocidal conspiracies of Aristotelian oligarchies such as the British Empire. Outsiders characterize it as a fringe movement and it has been criticized from across the political spectrum.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaRouche_movement
these guys were tabling outside of my uni's student union building for like two weeks
I hate the Illinois Nazi's.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5703|College Park, MD
lol, every time a discussion on smoking bans pops up on a forum, someone inevitably says "well what's next, maybe we should ban perfume since it makes some people nauseous!" as an argument against smoking bans.

well well well.

http://www.boston.com/Boston/dailydose/ … index.html

told ya so! next up? maybe a ban on fireplaces or charcoal grilling!

Last edited by Hurricane2k9 (2012-02-20 20:39:48)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
eleven bravo
+1,399|5261|foggy bottom
ban south americans
Tu Stultus Es
Spark
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

lol, every time a discussion on smoking bans pops up on a forum, someone inevitably says "well what's next, maybe we should ban perfume since it makes some people nauseous!" as an argument against smoking bans.

well well well.

http://www.boston.com/Boston/dailydose/ … index.html

told ya so! next up? maybe a ban on fireplaces or charcoal grilling!
fuck i hate slippery slope arguments. laziest bullshit imaginable.
~ Richard Feynman

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard