Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5492|Bolingbrook, Illinois
another stupid analogy
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6506

HaiBai wrote:

another stupid analogy
o k , i w i l l l e a r n t o t y p e s l ow e r f o r y o u . . .
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6780|PNW

HaiBai wrote:

i already mentioned that a program would have less error then natural human error.
One of the first things you're taught in an engineering course is to never blindly trust calculators.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5366|London, England

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

i already mentioned that a program would have less error then natural human error.
One of the first things you're taught in an engineering course is to never blindly trust calculators.
288 son.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
HaiBai

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

at least calculators are consistent
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6780|PNW

Unless presented with human error...by the developers or the people who enter data into them. Or if worn out and glitchy.

Just learn how to be a defensive driver and chances are you'll never get into a wreck.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6506

if there's a power outtage at work, there's only one engineer that can still work. he put himself through school as a drafter, and years of experience have left him with the skills  to not rely on a computer.

he does ask me now and again to retrieve an attachment from his e-mail though . . .
HaiBai

burnzz wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

another stupid analogy
o k , i w i l l l e a r n t o t y p e s l ow e r f o r y o u . . .
you have a choice to follow warning labels, they aren't law.  however, the company obviously has to print the warning labels to warn the consumer. 

(if school wasn't law)
you have a choice to go to school, it isn't law.  however, the government obviously has to provide school for those willing to learn.

see where your analogy fails?
HaiBai

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Unless presented with human error...by the developers or the people who enter data into them. Or if worn out and glitchy.

Just learn how to be a defensive driver and chances are you'll never get into a wreck.
but a program can be perfected until eventually there are no bugs.  there is always human error because of bad judgement and etc.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6506

i see where talking to you fails. you have no life experience, and it's my fault for giving you the benefit of the doubt.
HaiBai
where does lack of life experience hinder my argument?
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6506

zzzz
HaiBai
exactly.

owned
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6667|BC, Canada
not really...
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6506

HaiBai wrote:

exactly.

owned
https://img135.imageshack.us/img135/848/lt413large.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6780|PNW

HaiBai wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

but a program can be perfected until eventually there are no bugs.  there is always human error because of bad judgement and etc.
Mandating proprietary computer navigation for personal automobiles is a punitive measure that, with current technology, the cost of maintenance and the margin for GPS and proximity detection error, will not make the roads safer or navigation cheaper. I do not want to trade people who may not be paying attention to the road with people who aren't paying attention at all. If you don't want to drive, vanpool or take the bus or train.

Again, learn to be a defensive driver. Over ten years without getting into a wreck, here.

HaiBai wrote:

exactly.

owned
No, you are bullheadedly refusing to acknowledge the facts. You know one saying used after something fails dramatically, "well, it looked good on paper"? Have you even showed us this paper?

HaiBai wrote:

immature
I don't agree with slamming the validity of someone's opinions because of youth and inexperience, but that doesn't mean I'm going to agree with them when they're wrong.
HaiBai

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Mandating proprietary computer navigation for personal automobiles is a punitive measure that, with current technology, the cost of maintenance and the margin for GPS and proximity detection error, will not make the roads safer or navigation cheaper. I do not want to trade people who may not be paying attention to the road with people who aren't paying attention at all. If you don't want to drive, vanpool or take the bus or train.

Again, learn to be a defensive driver. Over ten years without getting into a wreck, here.
i don't think this should be implemented now.  i'm talking about the future.  when in the future?  who knows.  but eventually it should happen.

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

exactly.

owned
No, you are bullheadedly refusing to acknowledge the facts. You know one saying used after something fails dramatically, "well, it looked good on paper"? Have you even showed us this paper?
no

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

immature
I don't agree with slamming the validity of someone's opinions because of youth and inexperience, but that doesn't mean I'm going to agree with them when they're wrong.
im not referring to you
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Defensive driving doesn't make me any less likely to experience my near daily close call with a heart attack or homicidal road rage
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6114|eXtreme to the maX
How does being a defensive driver prevent you being rear-ended?
I've seen three people rear-ended while stationary at traffic lights in broad daylight.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jay wrote:

Defensive driving doesn't make me any less likely to experience my near daily close call with a heart attack or homicidal road rage
I seem to average 1-2 near death experiences daily, doesn't matter how carefully I drive.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

I seem to average 1-2 near death experiences daily, doesn't matter how carefully I drive.
I actually feel safer commuting on a motorcycle because I can cut lanes up to the front at lights. I dont have to worry about getting rear ended. Same in heavy traffic.

In the end though, no one is more dangerous than slow/timid drivers.
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6780|PNW

Being a defensive driver greatly reduces your chances of getting into a wreck. I've avoided rear-enders before by merely paying attention to what's behind me as well as what's in front of me, and simply moving out of the way. It's not fool-proof, especially if you're jammed in a car pack at a traffic light, but if you're able to leave yourself a car space between you and the guy ahead, you can move up a bit and lessen or avoid impact, or even have space to change lanes if not blocked in.

Of course, if you're going to jump around from lane to lane while eating a sammich, talking on the phone, fiddling with your MP3 player and driving with your knees, there is no such increased chance of safety.

Drilling good driving habits into people before giving them a license should be a higher priority than handing the responsibility to computers.
HaiBai

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Drilling good driving habits into people before giving them a license should be a higher priority than handing the responsibility to computers.
at this point in time, i agree
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6667|BC, Canada
But computers never crash or fail for any reason... make the switch now!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jay wrote:

In the end though, no one is more dangerous than slow/timid drivers.
These people are way more dangerous.
Of course, if you're going to jump around from lane to lane while eating a sammich, talking on the phone, fiddling with your MP3 player and driving with your knees, there is no such increased chance of safety.
Also people who drive much too fast for the traffic/conditions.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard