Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5354|London, England
So the car I drive on a daily basis has a fuel consumption meter which tells you both the instantaneous and average rates of change. Very useful. Lately I've been trying to keep it pegged at 30 mpg in order to maximize my fuel economy while maintaining a sane rate of travel. Now, the roads around me are not very flat, and are in fact a lot hillier than people seem to realize. Because I try to keep my mpg pegged rather than my mph, my speed tends to wobble between 50 mph on the uphills and 75 mph on the downhills (dependent on the length and height change, of course).

Now, the point... The travesty in my eyes is the way we are forced to drive because of speed limits. Instead of being allowed to accelerate when accelerating would make sense i.e. the downslope, that is when the speed limit forces me to brake instead. Instead of carrying that increased speed into the next upslope, I'm forced to increase my RPMs in order to maintain speed thus increasing my fuel consumption greatly.

There's no real point to this other than to point out that maintaining a certain speed does nothing to increase fuel economy, it's the maintenance of RPMs that correlates with fuel economy. I'm not advocating the end of speed limits, just felt like pointing out a logical flaw in modern law. The 55 mph limit was imposed in the 1970s under the false assumption that it would increase fuel economy in vehicles. Just another example of unintended consequences for knee jerk legislation.

Last edited by Jay (2011-04-28 14:58:29)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5480|Bolingbrook, Illinois
i can't wait until the day programs completely take over the driving of a vehicle
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5996|...
computer glitch no thanks
inane little opines
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

HaiBai wrote:

i can't wait until the day programs completely take over the driving of a vehicle
I enjoy driving (sometimes) but I wouldn't mind if that happened at all. It would free up a lot of time for other stuff (which is the definition of quality of life).

Last edited by Jay (2011-04-28 15:08:26)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5996|...
Unlike a fighter jet your car doesn't see a mechanic every day though. You would just be waiting for the thing to crash.

anyway on topic, I don't know what the situation on the road is like in the US but over here the 55 mph limit was enforced for safety more than anything else. Actually, most deadly accidents happen on 55mph roads, so I wouldn't advocate upping the speed limits.

Last edited by Shocking (2011-04-28 15:12:53)

inane little opines
HaiBai

Shocking wrote:

even if it's impossible to eliminate all bugs of a program, i still think less accidents would occur from buggy code then from human error
ghettoperson
+1,943|6646

I find it hilarious that the US government thinks telling you how/what to drive via taxation is going too far, but instead they'll just make a law telling you you have to drive 15mph slower than everywhere else on Earth.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6646

Shocking wrote:

Unlike a fighter jet your car doesn't see a mechanic every day though. You would just be waiting for the thing to crash.

anyway on topic, I don't know what the situation on the road is like in the US but over here the 55 mph limit is somewhat safe. Actually, most deadly accidents happen on 55mph roads, so I wouldn't advocate upping the speed limits.
Except that the roads that they do 55mph on are what we do 85mph on. Actually, theirs are wider. Considerably so.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5996|...
oh really?

why? lol, that doesn't make sense.
inane little opines
ghettoperson
+1,943|6646

To be fair, my limited experience being driven on highways in the US was utterly terrifying, so perhaps it's better we keep it at 55mph. Seriously people have no spacial awareness.
BALTINS
ಠ_ಠ
+37|6483|Latvia

ghettoperson wrote:

I find it hilarious that the US government thinks telling you how/what to drive via taxation is going too far, but instead they'll just make a law telling you you have to drive 15mph slower than everywhere else on Earth.
We have the same speed limit (90kph) and I don't really notice it so much, my focus still eats at like 7 liter on 100km going 100 kph.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6733|Oxferd Ohire
55mph zones are the worst because you have the people that ignore the speed decrease and stay going 70+ and those that actually slow down to 55
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
HaiBai
i can honestly say that 99% of people don't follow the speed limit in america.

the real speed limit is the listed speed limit + 15-20
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

RTHKI wrote:

55mph zones are the worst because you have the people that ignore the speed decrease and stay going 70+ and those that actually slow down to 55
Or below
-Frederick Bastiat
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5175|Sydney

Jay wrote:

So the car I drive on a daily basis has a fuel consumption meter which tells you both the instantaneous and average rates of change. Very useful. Lately I've been trying to keep it pegged at 30 mpg in order to maximize my fuel economy while maintaining a sane rate of travel. Now, the roads around me are not very flat, and are in fact a lot hillier than people seem to realize. Because I try to keep my mpg pegged rather than my mph, my speed tends to wobble between 50 mph on the uphills and 75 mph on the downhills (dependent on the length and height change, of course).

Now, the point... The travesty in my eyes is the way we are forced to drive because of speed limits. Instead of being allowed to accelerate when accelerating would make sense i.e. the downslope, that is when the speed limit forces me to brake instead. Instead of carrying that increased speed into the next upslope, I'm forced to increase my RPMs in order to maintain speed thus increasing my fuel consumption greatly.

There's no real point to this other than to point out that maintaining a certain speed does nothing to increase fuel economy, it's the maintenance of RPMs that correlates with fuel economy. I'm not advocating the end of speed limits, just felt like pointing out a logical flaw in modern law. The 55 mph limit was imposed in the 1970s under the false assumption that it would increase fuel economy in vehicles. Just another example of unintended consequences for knee jerk legislation.
I agree. But the one thing with the argument that is flawed is if there is a situation you have to brake suddenly for whilst on the descent at an accelerated speed. Not gonna happen in time with gravity and the velocity you have both working against the brakes.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6496|so randum

Jay wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

I enjoy driving (sometimes) but I wouldn't mind if that happened at all. It would free up a lot of time for other stuff (which is the definition of quality of life).
i have no real issue with this being public as long as a) people driving can at any time take control and b) this is never ALWAYS on - weekend drivers doing B road blasts is too too fun

also adding to ghettos experiences... drivers on american highways are much worse at spatial awareness than the UK - and on average we're going faster

no troll, why is this? i think we both got motorways at the same time and our tests are fairly comparable so?

Last edited by FatherTed (2011-04-28 16:02:03)

Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Roger Lesboules
Ah ben tabarnak!
+316|6574|Abitibi-Temiscamingue. Québec!

HaiBai wrote:

Shocking wrote:

even if it's impossible to eliminate all bugs of a program, i still think less accidents would occur from buggy code then from human error
Indeed, a car that would drive itself could bring a drunk person back home in a safer manner than he could on his own, even is there might be some glitch in the code.

Humm, car would be cool if they could still be driven the old fashion way or automatic (Computer) Look at it this way...You drive to the bar on your own, and the car bring back your drunk ass to your home...would be cool!
Jaekus
+957|5175|Sydney
I type some stuff on the internet when I'm drunk that I normally wouldn't. Imagine what a drunk person punching into a computer program designed to drive their car home could do?
Jaekus
+957|5175|Sydney

HaiBai wrote:

Shocking wrote:

I'd rather be responsible for my own accident than have no control because of some computer program.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

FatherTed wrote:

Jay wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

i have no real issue with this being public as long as a) people driving can at any time take control and b) this is never ALWAYS on - weekend drivers doing B road blasts is too too fun

also adding to ghettos experiences... drivers on american highways are much worse at spatial awareness than the UK - and on average we're going faster

no troll, why is this? i think we both got motorways at the same time and our tests are fairly comparable so?
Maybe we have more women on the road
-Frederick Bastiat
Sturgeon
+488|4937|Flintshire

Jay wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

Jay wrote:

Maybe we have more women on the road
I didn't think Shifty or War Man could drive yet
https://bf3s.com/sigs/3dda27c6d0d9b22836605b152b9d214b99507f91.png
HaiBai

Jaekus wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

Shocking wrote:

I'd rather be responsible for my own accident than have no control because of some computer program.
well you can't control or be held responsible for some idiot crashing into you either, but a computer could possibly prevent that
Jaekus
+957|5175|Sydney
You can control your own driving by paying attention to other drivers and drive defensively. My reaction time is far quicker than any computer currently is in this regard.
13rin
+977|6475

Jay wrote:

Make your own speed limit whenever possible.  However drive within your limits and above all, reason.

https://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/200703/buying-the-right-rad-1_460x0w.jpg

However if this isn't an option for you, please drive in the right lane lest you need to turn left.  We can exist in harmony drive your way, please... I'll stay outta your way if you stay outta mine, we'll signal intent.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
HaiBai

Jaekus wrote:

You can control your own driving by paying attention to other drivers and drive defensively. My reaction time is far quicker than any computer currently is in this regard.
no way.

not if the computers in all cars are communicating with each other and etc.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard