unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

Jay wrote:

Shocking wrote:

I don't think homeschooling works at all. Highschool is fine.

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

kids know what they're doing
no
It depends on what your goals are for your kids. For instance, it wouldn't be all that difficult to teach your kids calculus by the time they were 13 if you'd created a dedicated math program for them to follow. You could at the same time have them reading and writing at a college level. The problem is they will then be socially awkward for the foreseeable future.

Creating what the world will perceive as a genius isn't all that difficult. The problem is that they will then never fit in outside of a very small circle.

Also, your perception of what home schooling can do for a child is skewed by the types of people that choose to home school. The vast majority of them do it simply because they want to create their clone.
@shocking:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Tried it one year and tested two grades ahead when I decided to return to public school.
So yes. It can work, but only if kids are self-motivated. They're the governing factor here, not the parents, who usually even aren't trained in education. A homeschool education can surpass public school education for sheer technical learning.

@jay:
Agreed. Social programs do exist for homeschoolers. I met up with others at the local YMCA while I was doing my year of it, but it was rather awkward. I'd taken private school the year before, but it was a little religiously bigoted, so I didn't care much for that. Went to public junior high the next, and started into college in (I think) my second high school year. Learned a lot, but I don't recommend that either. I think the ol' parental plan was to keep me too busy to have pre-marital sex, despite my lack of interest in STD's.

lol
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5355|London, England
You can't be serious... You can't look at economics in a vacuum and separate it from the political ramifications. It's not simply insert x and out pops y. If that's the way you were taught, you were given short shrift. Knowing 'why' is always vastly more important than knowing 'how'. In this case, it's called Political Economy for very good reason.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6710|Purplicious Wisconsin

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

War Man wrote:

Homeschool overall works, if your parents know what they are doing.
Homeschool works if the kids know what they're doing. Not really worth it, though. Plenty of time to learn on your own time, unless the schools in your area are absolute hellholes.
It also depends on how your parents teach you as well as the kid.

Jay wrote:

Shocking wrote:

I don't think homeschooling works at all. Highschool is fine.

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

kids know what they're doing
no
It depends on what your goals are for your kids. For instance, it wouldn't be all that difficult to teach your kids calculus by the time they were 13 if you'd created a dedicated math program for them to follow. You could at the same time have them reading and writing at a college level. The problem is they will then be socially awkward for the foreseeable future.

Creating what the world will perceive as a genius isn't all that difficult. The problem is that they will then never fit in outside of a very small circle..
Depends where you live, how your parents are, and the kid on how they socialize.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

Jay wrote:

You can't be serious... You can't look at economics in a vacuum and separate it from the political ramifications. It's not simply insert x and out pops y. If that's the way you were taught, you were given short shrift. Knowing 'why' is always vastly more important than knowing 'how'. In this case, it's called Political Economy for very good reason.
If that was a reply to me, let me clarify that homeschooling on your own is a decent way to learn hard material, if you're already acquainted with the basics. The industry is growing, and there are options if you don't feel like dealing with public school (private tutors, tutoring businesses, etc.). I agree with you that there are some subjects where it is best to be able to interact with someone who knows more than you on a [school]-daily basis, so long as the teacher is competent. There are just some things that are nearly impossible to learn from books alone and are hardly teachable by parents who know less about it than their kids.

Perhaps the expansion of homeschooling will motivate districts to reorganize their command structure and curricula. But I, for one, found AFJROTC well worth going back, and high school administration could learn a lot from them. In three years, one class covered a ton of topics: economics & personal finance, management, ethics, etiquette, psychology, physiology, military drill (useful for those intending to join up later), military & flight history, flight mechanics, flight physics and navigation. There was even ground school for fourth-year JROTC students, before high school became a three-year affair. In the same three years, the same high school's English classes repeatedly covered nouns, verbs, adjectives and Great Expectations.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5355|London, England

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Jay wrote:

If that was a reply to me, let me clarify that homeschooling on your own is a decent way to learn hard material, if you're already acquainted with the basics. The industry is growing, and there are options if you don't feel like dealing with public school (private tutors, tutoring businesses, etc.). I agree with you that there are some subjects where it is best to be able to interact with someone who knows more than you on a [school]-daily basis, so long as the teacher is competent. There are just some things that are nearly impossible to learn from books alone and are hardly teachable by parents who know less about it than their kids.

Perhaps the expansion of homeschooling will motivate districts to reorganize their command structure and curricula. But I, for one, found AFJROTC well worth going back, and high school administration could learn a lot from them. In three years, one class covered a ton of topics: economics & personal finance, management, ethics, etiquette, psychology, physiology, military drill (useful for those intending to join up later), military & flight history, flight mechanics, flight physics and navigation. There was even ground school for fourth-year JROTC students, before high school became a three-year affair. In the same three years, the same high school's English classes repeatedly covered nouns, verbs, adjectives and Great Expectations.
It was to DrunkFace.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

Ah, well it still stands as a reply to the next "lol homeschool."
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6102|eXtreme to the maX
lol homeschool
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6467
thank fuck our prestigious universities left heeby jeeby religious bollocks back in the renaissance

we have denominational 'faith' schools for younger kids, in a loose sense... and the usual catholic school drama-rama

i would not want to be a 20 year old man in a college/uni, however, with ANY sort of religious agenda
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard