Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472

lowing wrote:

Uzique wrote:

well i'd argue that primarily it was because of, uh, feudalism. lord-serf relationships. the church just stratified it further. same as islam. their society has structural problems but the root cause isn't their faith: the faith is a superstructure on top of that foundation that further codifies and cements it. everything comes down to economic/political arrangement first and foremost. stuff like religion is a layer of tasty icing on top.
governments have their roots founded in religion, not the other way around. Governments, have used religion to bolster and justify their power and control. Islam is deeply rooted in ME governments, and those govts. use Islam to justify their actions in oppression inequality, jihad etc..
i don't think so. i'm using marxist terms of base and superstructure, here. the economic and political imperative and structure is what determines all of the rest of a society and civilization. religion and culture develop out of that, intrinsically.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6661|BC, Canada
Just because religion has a large influence on morality now, does not mean it was created by them.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472
i think morality is a psychological (interior) and sociological (exterior) formation. religion just codifies it and tries to establish objective and concrete boundaries and standards. i think there is an innate system of relative morality within every human being: basic feelings like empathy, pity, anger, lust etc. are entirely intuitive. communally, it's not a great leap of the imagination to suggest that these psychological states will collectivize into a sociological phenomenon, e.g. 'morality'. morality is in its simplest form the mores and mots of a collective-- what the majority deems acceptable and what is subversive. a lot of that is-- and must be-- instinctual. religion didn't come along and tidy up mankind from an anarchic, chaotic rabble. come on. we have primal things like the family-unit that establishes certain codes of basic, tribal living.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

Uzique wrote:

you really think there was no law or morality before religion? all was chaos before some people wrote a 'don't do this!' list and formed churches? ...
to be honest, I never thought about it. But it does make sense.

How was it decided that rape was wrong, or murder was wrong, or stealing was wrong if not for morality, established by some belief that you were gunna be punished for doing it? How did a sense of right and wrong get established if not for some moral code?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5360|London, England

lowing wrote:

Jay wrote:

lowing wrote:

so morality and law came before religious justification in your opinion?
I think religion has simply been a tool to maintain control. It's much easier to just say 'God commands this law be followed' than 'Hey, I'd like you guys to do this for x, y, and z reasons'. Less argument. More finality.
but before religion, what defined morality? and before morality, what established law? and before law, what was used to govern and how was it done?
Again, all theory...

Who says there was morality? What is morality? Generally it comes down to placing simple limits on society to keep chaos to a minimum. Why would a society ban murder? Because the retribution that ensues causes chaos. There have been tribes of cannibals discovered in the Amazon and on New Guinea as recently as this past century. Their blood feuds lasted generations and nearly led to their extinction on multiple occasions according to their folk stories. If someone had stepped in, laid down the law, and said 'hey, you kill another human, you die regardless of the feud' it gives both sides a chance to end it amicably and with honor.

Same goes for things like theft. It's in the best interest of whatever leadership there is to stop thefts and enforce punishments simply so there is order and people can worry less.

But here's the real historical item that tips us off: writing did not come about until after we had settled down to farm. It's rather difficult to codify and enforce laws or create religions without the written word. Before that we would've had nothing more than localized superstitions with these guys spinning three times before crossing a stream and those guys tossing a stick in before crossing. No unification. Without that unification brought about by the written word, morality and religion as you define it would not be able to exist. There certainly wouldn't be any possibility of a global morality (and there still isn't).
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472
you really think we needed to think we'd be punished by an invisible man in the sky, raining thunderbolts? human recrimination, punishment and social ostracization is enough. imagine pre-civilization tribal living: committing an act that finds you shunned by your peers and kicked out from your tribal unit is enough. you don't need to introduce the supernatural or ideas of fate and afterlife. morality is social. partake in immoral behaviour and find yourself without food, shelter, or a mate. no need for a man on a mount to proselytize and tell you about metaphysical lakes of fire and burning hells. that's entirely fanciful and unnecessary.

Last edited by Uzique (2011-04-02 18:23:13)

-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6661|BC, Canada

lowing wrote:

Uzique wrote:

you really think there was no law or morality before religion? all was chaos before some people wrote a 'don't do this!' list and formed churches? ...
to be honest, I never thought about it. But it does make sense.

How was it decided that rape was wrong, or murder was wrong, or stealing was wrong if not for morality, established by some belief that you were gunna be punished for doing it? How did a sense of right and wrong get established if not for some moral code?
probably stems from people not being to stoked when they were getting raped or murdered.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique wrote:

you really think we needed to think we'd be punished by an invisible man in the sky, raining thunderbolts? human recrimination, punishment and social ostracization is enough. imagine pre-civilization tribal living: committing an act that finds you shunned by your peers and kicked out from your tribal unit is enough. you don't need to introduce the supernatural or ideas of fate and afterlife. morality is social. partake in immoral behaviour and find yourself without food, shelter, or a mate. no need for a man on a mount to proselytize and tell you about metaphysical lakes of fire and burning hells. that's entirely fanciful and unnecessary.
Precisely.

For an example, look at a wolf pack. If one wolf offends the pack enough it is kicked out of the pack and forced to live on its own. Generally, that lone wolf dies. Same would happen among tribal humans. We're more dependent on each other than most are willing to admit.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

Jay wrote:

lowing wrote:

Jay wrote:

I think religion has simply been a tool to maintain control. It's much easier to just say 'God commands this law be followed' than 'Hey, I'd like you guys to do this for x, y, and z reasons'. Less argument. More finality.
but before religion, what defined morality? and before morality, what established law? and before law, what was used to govern and how was it done?
Again, all theory...

Who says there was morality? What is morality? Generally it comes down to placing simple limits on society to keep chaos to a minimum. Why would a society ban murder? Because the retribution that ensues causes chaos. There have been tribes of cannibals discovered in the Amazon and on New Guinea as recently as this past century. Their blood feuds lasted generations and nearly led to their extinction on multiple occasions according to their folk stories. If someone had stepped in, laid down the law, and said 'hey, you kill another human, you die regardless of the feud' it gives both sides a chance to end it amicably and with honor.

Same goes for things like theft. It's in the best interest of whatever leadership there is to stop thefts and enforce punishments simply so there is order and people can worry less.

But here's the real historical item that tips us off: writing did not come about until after we had settled down to farm. It's rather difficult to codify and enforce laws or create religions without the written word. Before that we would've had nothing more than localized superstitions with these guys spinning three times before crossing a stream and those guys tossing a stick in before crossing. No unification. Without that unification brought about by the written word, morality and religion as you define it would not be able to exist. There certainly wouldn't be any possibility of a global morality (and there still isn't).
I almost bought into this, then I started to think if I could think of any society, that has ever existed that had govt. and yet no religion.

Even the cannibals you speak of probably worship sticks and rocks and shit.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472
spiritualism is not religion. religion has a political agency. spiritualism is a state/type of experience.

and that brings us back to my (marxist) theory about religion (and culture) coming after the dictate of the economic/political base system... what did we worship, pre-civilization, pre-government? the sun. weather patterns. natural omens. relating to what? crop cycles. food production. farming yields. economics.
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6711|England. Stoke

Uzique wrote:

spiritualism is not religion. religion has a political agency. spiritualism is a state/type of experience.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

lowing wrote:

Jay wrote:

lowing wrote:

Again, all theory...

I almost bought into this, then I started to think if I could think of any society, that has ever existed that had govt. and yet no religion.

Well, many Native American tribes didn't have organized religion like you're thinking of. A lot of it was simple respect and homage to their ancestors. Very different from a concept like the Ten Commandments. Morality certainly doesn't have to be based in religion or religious teaching. They are mutually exclusive.

I mean, I don't adhere to any religion and I'm certainly not afraid of ending up in the Christian hell and I'm not out in the streets shooting people or stealing. Why? Well, two reasons. For one, society says that I can't do these things or I will be punished. Good enough reason on it's own, I value my time and my life. But I also have morality imposed on me by the philosophy I have chosen to follow. I believe in liberty, but not at the expense of others' life, liberty or property. There's nothing holding me to this philosophy except my own beliefs. I'm free to come and go from it as I please, but I choose not to unbind myself.

That philosophy also happens to be the basis for English Common Law and American Law. Thank John Locke.
-Frederick Bastiat
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

Uzique wrote:

and that brings us back to my (marxist) theory about religion (and culture) coming after the dictate of the economic/political base system... what did we worship, pre-civilization, pre-government? the sun. weather patterns. natural omens. relating to what? crop cycles. food production. farming yields. economics.
In the context of the discussion, I thought it was understood that religion denoted, some sort of supernatural belief and consequence.

I was not going for political agendas.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

Jay wrote:

lowing wrote:

Jay wrote:

Again, all theory...

Well, many Native American tribes didn't have organized religion like you're thinking of. A lot of it was simple respect and homage to their ancestors. Very different from a concept like the Ten Commandments. Morality certainly doesn't have to be based in religion or religious teaching. They are mutually exclusive.

I mean, I don't adhere to any religion and I'm certainly not afraid of ending up in the Christian hell and I'm not out in the streets shooting people or stealing. Why? Well, two reasons. For one, society says that I can't do these things or I will be punished. Good enough reason on it's own, I value my time and my life. But I also have morality imposed on me by the philosophy I have chosen to follow. I believe in liberty, but not at the expense of others' life, liberty or property. There's nothing holding me to this philosophy except my own beliefs. I'm free to come and go from it as I please, but I choose not to unbind myself.

That philosophy also happens to be the basis for English Common Law and American Law. Thank John Locke.
again I was using the term religion as a belief of a supernatural existence and consequence. In my mind Judaism Christianity etc are forms of religion way more advanced than I was thinking about in this discussion.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

lowing wrote:

Uzique wrote:

In the context of the discussion, I thought it was understood that religion denoted, some sort of supernatural belief and consequence.

They aren't the same. If a football player wears the same underwear every game of the season because he believes it brings him luck that's a superstition. A religion is an organized set of beliefs which are applied universally to all adherents.

If that football player convinced his entire team to wear the same pairs of underwear all season for luck, that would be a subsect of religion, like a cult. The only real difference between a cult and a religion is the level of organization and the number of adherents.
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472

Jay wrote:

thank the romans and medieval jurisprudence... not locke.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472

Jay wrote:

lowing wrote:

Uzique wrote:

They aren't the same. If a football player wears the same underwear every game of the season because he believes it brings him luck that's a superstition. A religion is an organized set of beliefs which are applied universally to all adherents.

If that football player convinced his entire team to wear the same pairs of underwear all season for luck, that would be a subsect of religion, like a cult. The only real difference between a cult and a religion is the level of organization and the number of adherents.
"political agency".

not agenda, lowing. agency. agency in philosophy is a capacity to act and enact.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique wrote:

Jay wrote:

thank the romans and medieval jurisprudence... not locke.
They all had their influence. Locke had the profoundest effect on early America.
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472
the utilitarian/libertarian philosophy of enlightenment law is one thing... the 'basis for common law' systems is another. common law is a lot older than any new-fangled fancy renaissance ideas of liberty. justice was quite a different thing back in the original system . history of law is very interesting... and supports the idea that morality/law exists without religion.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6108|eXtreme to the maX

11 Bravo wrote:

ya thats kind of week dilbert.  and go back to AU spam AR and stop trolling.

i dont know anyone who joins the military to go fight wars for the curch.
Would it be better if they were doing it solely for the money?

The fact is that secular Western governments are messing with Islamic countries, we can't argue that Islam is the problem any more than the cold war was the direct result of Russian Orthodox Christianity, or that Vietnam was exclusively a problem of Taoism.

You guys get behind defending your country, spreading peace and democracy, they get behind defending their country and spreading Islam.

Its two sides of the same coin, its just helpful to rationalise killing them by saying such bullshit as "Modern Islam is a blight on humanity".
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5239|Cleveland, Ohio
i didnt join to spread peace and democracy but lol now all those places want democracy so.........

so dont say "you guys" when you have no clue wtf you are talking about.  sit down, troll.

Last edited by 11 Bravo (2011-04-03 02:44:45)

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6155|what

You joined to stop the WMD's ?
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472
don't 99% of troops sign up for money and a career cause they have no other opportunities? k
11 Bravo
Banned

AussieReaper wrote:

You joined to stop the WMD's ?
please just go away.  you have your own little section that you cried for.  spam there.  k
11 Bravo
Banned

Uzique wrote:

don't 99% of troops sign up for money and a career cause they have no other opportunities? k
i dunno about 99% but i needed college money.

Last edited by 11 Bravo (2011-04-03 05:18:48)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard