eleven bravo
+1,399|5260|foggy bottom
you anti abortion nuts sound like the fucking taliban
Tu Stultus Es
ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

FEOS wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

You still have all of those other cost that come from unwanted children that make a one time abortion cheaper than the alt.
Why do you automatically assume that the only options are abortion or a lifetime of welfare?

Your analysis is flawed.

Reform of the adoption laws (particularly post-adoption) of this nation and foster-to-adopt would greatly reduce the number of kids in the foster system (our version of orphanages) and match them to waiting families, many of whom are hesitant to adopt due to adoption laws here that allow the birth family to "change their mind" at nearly any point after the adoption, as well as a court system that forces contact with birth families that are not in the best interest of the child or their new families. (run-on sentence ftw)

Fix that and you have a VERY good option to abortion and a lifetime of welfare. Slightly more expensive than the former, much less expensive than the latter, but doesn't involve the possibility of killing a growing fetus for convenience's sake.

That doesn't mean abortion as a medical option should be outlawed. That's just insane.
The number of horror stories I've heard about the families adopted children go to live with suggest to me that giving a child up for adoption is not as perfect as a solution as pro-life activists would have you believe.
jord
+2,382|6679|The North, beyond the wall.
There's a damn surplus population happening. I could be driving a car right now if we could get it down a billion or so and fuel prices fell. Not to mention decreasing, nay! Ending world hunger...

Pro lifers make me sick.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6682|Disaster Free Zone

jord wrote:

There's a damn surplus population happening. I could be driving a car right now if we could get it down a billion or so and fuel prices fell. Not to mention decreasing, nay! Ending world hunger...

Pro lifers make me sick.
Or you could try to use technological advances instead.
jord

DrunkFace wrote:

jord wrote:

Pro lifers make me sick.
Or you could try to use technological advances instead.
The environmental impact of our rising population would still be there.

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/socio … popu12.htm
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6000|...
If you want overall population levels to decrease you're better off campaigning for abortion and condoms in africa/middle east.

Negligble birth rates around here
inane little opines
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6543|Texas - Bigger than France

Macbeth wrote:

That's a nice story and all but we both know the amount of crack babies who don't end up in stable households far outweigh the ones that do. I don't see the point in a story of how less than 1% of crack babies got lucky.
Exactly the point.  Good foster parents lead to good children.  Therefore...why not support the system that provides good foster parents? Seems like that if you are dead set in that most adoptions are a failure, did you ever stop and figure out why most adoptions are a failure and then take the next logical leap on addressing THAT problem?

Macbeth wrote:

I once was asked for money by a homeless lady who was obviously a drug addict. I talked to her for a little while after I gave her two dollars. She claimed she was pregnant and had HIV. What possible good would it do the child or the world for it to be born? She wasn't raped, she claimed she had gotten pregnant by being a prostitute, so she couldn't get an abortion if we drew the line at "only in cases of rape and incest". Would you deny her abortion knowing the child would come out with HIV and addicted to drugs?
I'm not against OTHER people getting abortions.  I'm saying they ought to understand the situation.  Second, you DON'T give money to the beggar.  You bring them somewhere for help or donate money to an organization which is actively involved in improving their situation...assuming their overhead expenses don't take a large chunk of what you donate.

Macbeth wrote:

I'm okay with a woman getting counseling if she needs it but it's obvious the bills up for debate aren't about getting woman help, they are about stopping abortion no matter the cost.
I never argued that point. In fact, I said it's not worth pissing off half the population, despite how I feel about the issue.

Macbeth wrote:

I'm assuming you mean no abortion, but we (the government) makes sure that she is comfortable, etc. No. Once the woman see's the child after it's born or goes through the bonding process of pregnancy and all that jazz to separate her from the child would cause unneeded psychological harm.

The plan also fails when it comes to the monetary side of the issue...
I never said that OTHER people can't get an abortion.  I'm saying the alternatives suck and should be better.  And if you read closely...I didn't say there wasn't challenges to the so-to-be mother.  I said that IF the mother could be provided enough support to make it worthwhile, why not support the effort?

Macbeth wrote:

I'm sorry to cut up the post like that, could you just respond to everything in one post? I hate quote trees and arguing 20 different things at once because of them.
Tough shit.  lol
eleven bravo
+1,399|5260|foggy bottom
we need more crack whores giving birth to hiv infected preemies
Tu Stultus Es
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6543|Texas - Bigger than France
no we don't.  we also don't need more crack whores and less hiv as well.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6446|The Land of Scott Walker

eleven bravo wrote:

The taliban are anti-abortion?  Who knew?  Least we're not on the side of dismembering the most helpless members of our society for profit.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5260|foggy bottom
members of society.  lol
Tu Stultus Es
ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

I think calling a fetus a member of society is pushing it a little far.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6412|'Murka

ghettoperson wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

You still have all of those other cost that come from unwanted children that make a one time abortion cheaper than the alt.
Why do you automatically assume that the only options are abortion or a lifetime of welfare?

Your analysis is flawed.

Reform of the adoption laws (particularly post-adoption) of this nation and foster-to-adopt would greatly reduce the number of kids in the foster system (our version of orphanages) and match them to waiting families, many of whom are hesitant to adopt due to adoption laws here that allow the birth family to "change their mind" at nearly any point after the adoption, as well as a court system that forces contact with birth families that are not in the best interest of the child or their new families. (run-on sentence ftw)

Fix that and you have a VERY good option to abortion and a lifetime of welfare. Slightly more expensive than the former, much less expensive than the latter, but doesn't involve the possibility of killing a growing fetus for convenience's sake.

That doesn't mean abortion as a medical option should be outlawed. That's just insane.
The number of horror stories I've heard about the families adopted children go to live with suggest to me that giving a child up for adoption is not as perfect as a solution as pro-life activists would have you believe.
1. Not a pro-life activist. By any stretch.

2. I've heard far more horror stories about the foster programs than about adoption. There are far more checks in the system there than there are in the foster system--which many people use as a way to get money from the state, rather than a way to help take care of kids who need a home. Having been through the adoption system as an adoptive parent, I've got first-hand experience.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

Oh sorry, you're right, I meant foster homes. Either way, my point is that all too many of these kids that are put up for adoption get stuck with abusive families.
jord

Stingray24 wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

The taliban are anti-abortion?  Who knew?  Least we're not on the side of dismembering the most helpless members of our society for profit.
Take a clever pill.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5359|London, England

ghettoperson wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Your analysis is flawed.

They're a bunch of hypocrites. Almost none of them would ever adopt a child yet they magically assume that millions of kids would find homes every year. Next time a right to life turd starts going on and on about adoption being a viable solution just ask him how many kids he's adopted.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Jay wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Your analysis is flawed.

They're a bunch of hypocrites. Almost none of them would ever adopt a child yet they magically assume that millions of kids would find homes every year. Next time a right to life turd starts going on and on about adoption being a viable solution just ask him how many kids he's adopted.
You absolutely make sense here. For me, I am not pro life. I am neutral leaning toward pro- abortion, not for morality reasons, but for intrusion by the govt. reasons. the govt. should have no right to decide what a woman should do. Having said that, I also do not agree that abortion should be used as a form of birth control. Trust me, there should be counseling offered and a time for pause before the procedure. Counseling and pause mandatory with the decision for the procedure ultimately left  up to the woman.

Last edited by lowing (2011-03-27 18:13:31)

FEOS
+1,182|6412|'Murka

ghettoperson wrote:

Oh sorry, you're right, I meant foster homes. Either way, my point is that all too many of these kids that are put up for adoption get stuck with abusive families.
That's why reform of our adoption/post-adoption laws in the US (as well as the foster system) would help to resolve much of that. It amazes me that, with all of the evidence regarding foster families abusing the system, it isn't better policed. Probably because it's government-run...

As for the pro-/anti-abortion thing: I just think there should be viable options. Adoption is one that never gets any attention, but should.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6715|Purplicious Wisconsin
I am pro-life not entirely because of moral reasons, but because I am happy to be alive. The fact that aborting a child means she/he doesn't have a chance at life is wrong. Every human, fetus or not, deserves at least 1 chance at life.

ghettoperson wrote:

More like you are too uncomfortable to admit a fetus is a life form.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5359|London, England

War Man wrote:

I am pro-life not entirely because of moral reasons, but because I am happy to be alive. The fact that aborting a child means she/he doesn't have a chance at life is wrong. Every human, fetus or not, deserves at least 1 chance at life.

ghettoperson wrote:

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

War Man wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Would you opinion hold true on pregnancies due to rape, or pregnancies whee the fetus has been diagnosed with a life crippling disease?

In other words, is your opinion absolute?

Let me say I am not trying to corner you or anything,  I was just curious how far your opinion went?

Last edited by lowing (2011-03-27 19:11:52)

FEOS
+1,182|6412|'Murka

Jay wrote:

War Man wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z9f9Eybv4I
One of my favorites.
― Albert Einstein

War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6715|Purplicious Wisconsin
Yes, not the child's fault his dad was/is a sick fuck.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
FEOS
+1,182|6412|'Murka

War Man wrote:

I was an absolutist on the abortion issue. Until my son was born. And has had to struggle every day of his life for the past 11 years.

I would trade an eternity in hell to guarantee he didn't have to suffer the way he has. Without a second thought.

Because I love him more than anything.
― Albert Einstein

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

War Man wrote:

wow, didn't really expect that. So you can honestly say if your wife were raped and became pregnant from the rapist you would have her keep the baby and raise it as your own? Or if you were told your baby was going to be born deformed or mentally incapacitated, you would still keep him or her? These are standards you would keep for yourself as well?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard