lowing
Banned
+1,662|6793|USA

Jay wrote:

Cheeky_Ninja06 wrote:

....probably?
You're seriously going to sit here and argue that the benefits of war outweigh the costs? A few medical procedures are worth the price of millions of lives in the past century alone? Hardly.

Now, you're either profiting off of the war industry or you're one of those wankers that jerks off to old military histories about Wellington and Monty. Perhaps your one of those that gets his jollies by dressing up in period dress and ramming a fake bayonet into his opponents abdomen. So which is it? No rational human being can possibly make the ridiculous statement that war is in any way profitable for the human race. This is doubly so for people that have actually experienced war as many of us on this forum have. So kindly take your opinion and shove off to the nearest BNP rally.
playing devils advocate here, I wonder what the world population would be, blowing through natural resources and the environment, to feed, heat build provide electricity, cars, housing, govt. subsidizes etc, if no one was ever killed off in a war.

How many people would this world inhabit today, if not for WW2?
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6141|...
Sometimes a necessary evil but by no means productive... you'd be disregarding the cost by claiming otherwise. Europe was entirely destroyed after WW2. Completely. At least half the cities lay in ruins and infrastructure was damaged or destroyed everywhere, the time and cost of rebuilding that, not to mention the massive waste of human life completely outweigh any sort of progress that may have been made in the timespan of the war.

Could actually argue that it was detrimental to progress.
inane little opines
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5500|London, England

lowing wrote:

Jay wrote:

Cheeky_Ninja06 wrote:

....probably?
You're seriously going to sit here and argue that the benefits of war outweigh the costs? A few medical procedures are worth the price of millions of lives in the past century alone? Hardly.

Now, you're either profiting off of the war industry or you're one of those wankers that jerks off to old military histories about Wellington and Monty. Perhaps your one of those that gets his jollies by dressing up in period dress and ramming a fake bayonet into his opponents abdomen. So which is it? No rational human being can possibly make the ridiculous statement that war is in any way profitable for the human race. This is doubly so for people that have actually experienced war as many of us on this forum have. So kindly take your opinion and shove off to the nearest BNP rally.
playing devils advocate here, I wonder what the world population would be, blowing through natural resources and the environment, to feed, heat build provide electricity, cars, housing, govt. subsidizes etc, if no one was ever killed off in a war.

We're not overcrowded. Hell, the western world has a negative birth rate for the most part.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6141|...
Only in very few cases has war been accompanied by progress, none of which have taken place in the 20th/21st centuries.
inane little opines
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6793|USA

Jay wrote:

lowing wrote:

Jay wrote:

We're not overcrowded. Hell, the western world has a negative birth rate for the most part.
not now we are not, but suppose WW2 never happened. You gotta admit, WW2 really thinned out the herd so to speak.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6793|USA

Shocking wrote:

Only in very few cases has war been accompanied by progress, none of which have taken place in the 20th/21st centuries.
except the end of fascist Germany's grip on Europe? maybe? sorta? kinda?

and yes like it or not, war creates leaps in technology.

Last edited by lowing (2011-03-24 17:57:11)

Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5728

According to the wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wa … death_toll
1.7-3.1%  So no not really.

Well cept for the Jews
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

lowing wrote:

Jay wrote:

lowing wrote:

not now we are not, but suppose WW2 never happened. You gotta admit, WW2 really thinned out the herd so to speak.
And it was followed by a baby boom. Still doesn't change the fact that the trend has been towards smaller families and having kids later in life.

So no, that's not a positive in favor of war.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6141|...
It also thinned out the resources. Any idea how much iron was used in WW2? Ended up with there being more demand for iron than there was supply of it, unprecedented.
inane little opines
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6809

lowing wrote:

Jay wrote:

lowing wrote:

Not as much as the major plagues/flu epidemics.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6793|USA

Shocking wrote:

It also thinned out the resources. Any idea how much iron was used in WW2? Ended up with there being more demand for iron than there was supply of it, unprecedented.
very true. good point.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5728

While we're on the subject of death counts- did anyone else notice the entire history of China is just one long episode of human suffering?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6793|USA

Ilocano wrote:

lowing wrote:

Jay wrote:

Not as much as the major plagues/flu epidemics.
true as well. due to population issues we probably would have had another black plague by now.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Macbeth wrote:

While we're on the subject of death counts- did anyone else notice the entire history of China is just one long episode of human suffering?
I just got done watching No Reservations: Cambodia and it seemed like much the same. The Khmer Rouge really fucked that country up.
-Frederick Bastiat
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6141|...

lowing wrote:

I'm looking at the progress as a whole, rebuilding Europe cost an insane amount of money, time and effort. I doubt those technological advancements that were made would not have been achieved if so much wouldn't have to be wasted on rebuilding infrastructure. It was a net loss if you look at the big picture. It's a peak moment followed by an enormous slump.

The war itself was definitely necessary though, I'm not arguing that.
inane little opines
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6141|...

Macbeth wrote:

Well I certainly noticed that the death toll of any event there is ^10 of what would be considered 'normal' here. Take natural disasters for example, holy shit.
inane little opines
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6793|USA

Shocking wrote:

lowing wrote:

I'm looking at the progress as a whole, rebuilding Europe cost an insane amount of money, time and effort. I doubt those technological advancements that were made would not have been achieved if so much wouldn't have to be wasted on rebuilding infrastructure. It was a net loss if you look at the big picture. It's a peak moment followed by an enormous slump.

The war itself was definitely necessary though, I'm not arguing that.
true, but I am speaking of the necessity being the mother of invention thing
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6141|...
Well yes that's definitely true. The space race did it right in getting that mindset to work without having to kill eachother off. Too bad there's been no efforts to reproduce that sort of thing since.
inane little opines
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6809

Shocking wrote:

Well yes that's definitely true. The space race did it right in getting that mindset to work without having to kill eachother off. Too bad there's been no efforts to reproduce that sort of thing since.
Give it time.  China will eventually want a much bigger piece of outer space.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,977|6774|949

Macbeth wrote:

compare China 50 years ago to China now.

I wouldn't exactly call that human suffering so to speak.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6141|...
I hope for them that their system sustains itself and doesn't end up completely riddled with corruption before that happens. One of the risks of not being democratic.
inane little opines
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6793|USA

Shocking wrote:

Well don't feel too warm and fuzzy about it, they were fighting to see who would be the first to destroy each other from space.
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5379|Cleveland, Ohio

burnzz wrote:

light, sweet, crude . . .
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

11 Bravo wrote:

burnzz wrote:

light, sweet, crude . . .
Yum.
-Frederick Bastiat
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6553|'Murka

Jay wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

GPS, ENIAC, cellular, jets.  But yeah, I'm kind of wondering Jay's take on parasite.
He's a bit confused, as those jobs are private sector jobs in divisions of private sector corporations. It's not like the government is building those bombs in government bomb factories with government workers.
No, I'm not confused. How is it a private sector job if the money is coming wholly from the government? It's merely the illusion of a private company. The company would not exist without government largesse, therefore it does not fit the definition of the private sector.
Wrong. Those companies are so diversified that they absolutely WOULD exist without those government contracts.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard