Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6144|...

Turquoise wrote:

Removing Gadhafi won't change a whole lot other than stabilizing Libya.  The rebels may or may not allow for a transition toward a democratic government, and we may or may not choose to support this transition.

Whatever happens, oil deals will be made, and people will die.

I don't understand why certain people are defending Gadhafi, but at the same time, I don't particularly care what happens to the people of Libya either.
Remember that we supported Mubarak for near 40 years before the revolution started, + most other dictators in the ME for that matter?

If anything I see this as us trying to save face. I don't know what will happen in Libya after Gadaffi is gone, but whatever the case, us not intervening would have had much worse consequences overall. Furthermore, he was unpredictable and people were probably wanting to get rid of him for a long time.
inane little opines
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5503|London, England

Turquoise wrote:

Jay wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Wait a few months.  When the shit hits the fan, they'll switch sides.

We all do it.  We all need someone or something to blame.
Speak for yourself.
Ah yes, fight the good fight.  See where it gets you.
My own personal Toohey.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Macbeth wrote:

I think invading Iraq in 03 was stupid and I think this thing in Libya is also stupid. I don't care how many of their own people they killed, it's not our problem.
It would seem we are the minority.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
13/f/taiwan
+940|5844

Jay wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

I think invading Iraq in 03 was stupid and I think this thing in Libya is also stupid. I don't care how many of their own people they killed, it's not our problem.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6144|...
Problems don't disappear if you ignore them.

Then again, this is more a European problem than an American one, don't see why you would oppose Iraq though.
inane little opines
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6550|North Carolina

Jay wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Again, wait a few months.  Wars are always less popular a few months in.

You'll soon be the majority.  Of course, that won't really matter. 
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5382|Cleveland, Ohio

Turquoise wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

ya gadaffy is slaughtering his people ya!!!!

proof?

oh well this guy says so.

oh ok.  attack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://blogs.e-rockford.com/applesauce/ … piracy.jpg
can you show me any concrete proof of genocide?
Commie Killer
+192|6532

Turquoise wrote:

Jay wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Again, wait a few months.  Wars are always less popular a few months in.

You'll soon be the majority.  Of course, that won't really matter. 
Yeah hes right. The Iraq war was pretty popular when it was first started.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5619|Ventura, California
Unless the people of Libya request assistance from foreign powers, I think we should stick to our own business.

The UN is such a retarded organisation meddling with other countries' business. If there's a genocide then let foreign countries decide for themselves if it's their moral responsibility to assist that nation, and let charity organisations do their job with food and whatnot. We don't need the UN, piss off.

I hadn't realized this action was going against our Constitution.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6861

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Unless the people of Libya request assistance from foreign powers, I think we should stick to our own business.

The UN is such a retarded organisation meddling with other countries' business. If there's a genocide then let foreign countries decide for themselves if it's their moral responsibility to assist that nation, and let charity organisations do their job with food and whatnot. We don't need the UN, piss off.

"we dont want intervention but we want nfz lulz"
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
The Libyans requested a no-fly zone? Good for them, now whoever wants to step up can take on that task.

If the Constitution doesn't allow our intervention then we should GTFO.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6861

-Sh1fty- wrote:

The Libyans requested a no-fly zone? Good for them, now whoever wants to step up can take on that task.

If the Constitution doesn't allow our intervention then we should GTFO.
shut the fuck up shifty.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

-Sh1fty- wrote:

So shifty, every time a rebel group requests assistance we should grant it? If not, where do you draw the line?

Can I go to the UN and request they overthrow Obama for me and install me as King?
-Frederick Bastiat
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
What kind of a question is that Jay? Unless it's to protect American interest we shouldn't get involved militarily.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

-Sh1fty- wrote:

What kind of a question is that Jay? Unless it's to protect American interest we shouldn't get involved militarily.
It's in my interest and I am an American.
-Frederick Bastiat
Commie Killer
+192|6532

Jay wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

So shifty, every time a rebel group requests assistance we should grant it? If not, where do you draw the line?

Can I go to the UN and request they overthrow Obama for me and install me as King?
No, everytime a rebel group requests assistance and it is to our benefit to jump in we should... Which is exactly what we do, pretty much.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty

Jay wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Are you talking about Libya? Then tell me how they threaten the U.S. and if it's a valid excuse to blow shit up in their country.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5731

-Sh1fty- wrote:

What part? Name the exact part it violates.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6642

Macbeth wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

the Swiss have a Constitution?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Jay wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Are you talking about Libya? Then tell me how they threaten the U.S. and if it's a valid excuse to blow shit up in their country.
You're missing the point. You were the one that was saying it's ok to bomb other countries if the nations populace asks for help. I said I was asking for help taking out Obama. You failed to put two and two together.
-Frederick Bastiat
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6861

burnzz wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

the Swiss have a Constitution?
Swiss Federal Constitution
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Switzerland

This article is part of the series:
Politics and government of
Switzerland
Constitution

* Human rights

Federal Council

* List of members
          o Micheline Calmy-Rey (Pres. 11)
          o Doris Leuthard
          o Eveline Widmer-Schlumpf (VP 11)
          o Ueli Maurer
          o Didier Burkhalter
          o Simonetta Sommaruga
          o Johann Schneider-Ammann
    * Federal Chancellor
          o Corina Casanova
    * Federal administration

Federal Assembly

* Council of States
          o List of members
    * National Council
          o List of members
    * Political parties

Elections

* Voting in Switzerland

Federal courts

* Federal Supreme Court
    * Federal Criminal Court
    * Federal Administrative Court

Foreign relations

* Switzerland and the European Union

Subdivisions

* Cantons
    * Municipalities

Other countries · Atlas
Politics portal
view · talk · edit

The Federal Constitution of 18 April 1999 (German: Bundesverfassung der Schweizerischen Eidgenossenschaft; French: Constitution fédérale de la Confédération suisse; Italian: Costituzione federale della Confederazione Svizzera; Romansh: Constituziun federala da la Confederaziun svizra) is the third and current federal constitution of Switzerland. It establishes the Swiss Confederation as a federal republic of 26 cantons (states), contains a catalogue of individual and popular rights (including the right to call for popular referenda on federal laws and constitutional amendments), delineates the responsibilities of the cantons and the Confederation and establishes the federal authorities of government.

The Constitution was adopted by popular vote on 18 April 1999. It replaced the prior federal constitution of 1874, which it was intended to bring up to date without changing it in substance.
Contents

* 1 History
    * 2 Constitutional provisions
          o 2.1 Preamble and Title 1
          o 2.2 Title 2: Fundamental Rights, Civil Rights and Social Goals
    * 3 References
    * 4 External links

History
See also: History of Switzerland
Memorial page to mark the revision of the federal constitution of 1874, featuring the motto "Einer für alle, alle für einen" (by E. Conrad, lithography on paper)

The groundwork for today's Swiss Constitution was laid with the promulgation of the Constitution of 12 September 1848, which was influenced by the ideas of the French Revolution. This constitution provided for the cantons' sovereignty, as long as this did not impinge on the Federal Constitution. This constitution was created in response to a 27-day civil war in Switzerland, the Sonderbundskrieg.

The Constitution of 1848 was partly revised in 1866, and wholly revised in 1874. This latter constitutional change introduced the referendum at the federal level. Beginning in 1891, the constitution contained the "right of initiative", under which a certain number of voters could make a request to amend a constitutional article, or even to introduce a new article into the constitution. Thus, partial revisions of the constitution could be made any time.

The Federal Constitution was wholly revised for the second time in the 1990s, and the new version was approved by popular and cantonal vote on 18 April 1999. It replaces the constitution of 29 May 1874, and it contains nine fundamental rights which up until then had only been discussed and debated in the Federal Court. It came into force on 1 January 2000.

Owing to constitutional initiatives and counterproposals, the Swiss Constitution is subject to continual changes.
Constitutional provisions
Swiss Confederation
Coat of Arms of Switzerland

This article is part of the series:
Federal Constitution of 18 April 1999
Text of the Constitution
Preamble and Title 1
General Provisions
Title 2
Fundamental Rights, Civil Rights and Social Goals
Title 3
Confederation, Cantons, and Municipalities
Title 4
People and Cantons
Title 5
Federal Authorities
Title 6
Revision of the Federal Constitution and Temporal Provisions

Other countries ·  Law Portal
view · talk · edit
Preamble and Title 1
Main article: Preamble and Title 1 of the Swiss Federal Constitution

The preamble and the first title of the Constitution determine the general outlines of Switzerland as a democratic federal republic of 26 cantons governed by the rule of law.

The preamble opens with a solemn invocation of God in continuance of Swiss constitutional tradition. It is a mandate to the State authorities by the Swiss people and cantons, as the Confederation's constituent powers, to adhere to the values listed in the preamble, which include "liberty and democracy, independence and peace in solidarity and openness towards the world".

The general provisions contained in Title 1 (articles 1–6) define the characteristic traits of the Swiss state on all of its three levels of authority: federal, cantonal and municipal. They contain an enumeration of the constituent Cantons, affirm Cantonal sovereignty within the bounds of the Constitution and list the national languages – German, French, Italian and Romansh. They also commit the State to the principles of obedience to law, proportionality, good faith and respect for international law, before closing with a reference to individual responsibility.
Title 2: Fundamental Rights, Civil Rights and Social Goals
Main article: Title 2 of the Swiss Federal Constitution
See also: Human rights in Switzerland

Title 2 contains the Constitution's bill of rights. The 1874 constitution contained only a limited number of fundamental rights, and some of them grew less significant as the 20th century wore on, such as the right to a decent burial guaranteed in article 53 of the old constitution. In consequence, the Swiss Federal Supreme Court's extensive case law developed an array of implicit or "unwritten" fundamental rights, drawing upon the case law of the European Court of Human Rights and applying the fundamental rights guaranteed in the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR), which Switzerland ratified in 1974.

In the course of the 1999 constitutional revision, the Federal Assembly decided to codify that case law in the form of a comprehensive bill of rights, which is substantially congruent with the rights guaranteed in the ECHR, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.

Title 2 also covers the essential rules on the acquisition of Swiss citizenship and of the exercise of political rights. Furthermore, it contains a number of not directly enforceable "social goals" which the state shall strive to ensure, including the availability of social security, health care and housing.
References

* Bernhard Ehrenzeller, Philipp Mastronardi, Rainer J. Schweizer, Klaus A. Vallender (eds.) (2002). Die schweizerische Bundesverfassung, Kommentar. ISBN 3-905455-70-6.  (German). Cited as Ehrenzeller.
    * Federal Constitution in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.

External links
    English Wikisource has original text related to this article:
1999 Constitution

* Authoritative German, French and Italian texts of the Swiss Federal Constitution.
    * Federal Constitution webpage provided by the Federal Authorities of the Swiss Confederation; includes versions of the Constitution in German, French, Italian, and Rhaeto-Romanic (Romansh) as well as non-authoritative translations of the Constitution in English, Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Japanese and Nepalese.

v · d · eConstitutions of Europe
Sovereign
states    

Albania · Andorra · Armenia · Austria · Azerbaijan · Belarus · Belgium · Bosnia and Herzegovina · Bulgaria · Croatia · Cyprus · Czech Republic · Denmark · Estonia · Finland · France · Georgia · Germany · Greece · Hungary · Iceland · Ireland · Italy · Kazakhstan · Latvia · Liechtenstein · Lithuania · Luxembourg · Macedonia · Malta · Moldova · Monaco · Montenegro · Netherlands · Norway · Poland · Portugal · Romania · Russia · San Marino · Serbia · Slovakia · Slovenia · Spain · Sweden · Switzerland · Turkey · Ukraine · United Kingdom · Vatican City
States with limited
recognition    

Abkhazia · Kosovo · Nagorno-Karabakh Republic · Northern Cyprus · South Ossetia · Transnistria
Dependencies,
other territories    

Åland · Azores · Faroe Islands · Gibraltar · Guernsey · Jan Mayen · Jersey · Madeira · Isle of Man · Svalbard
Other entities    
European Union · Sovereign Military Order of Malta
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_Federal_Constitution"
Categories: Politics of Switzerland | Swiss law | Swiss Federal Constitution (1999)
Hidden categories: Articles containing German language text | Articles containing French language text | Articles containing Italian language text | Articles containing Romansh language text | Use dmy dates from September 2010
Personal tools

Namespaces

* Article
    * Discussion

Variants

Views

* Read
    * View source
    * View history

Actions

Search
Search
Navigation

* Main page
    * Contents
    * Featured content
    * Current events
    * Random article
    * Donate to Wikipedia

Interaction

* Help
    * About Wikipedia
    * Community portal
    * Recent changes
    * Contact Wikipedia

Toolbox

* What links here
    * Related changes
    * Upload file
    * Special pages
    * Permanent link
    * Cite this page

Print/export

* Create a book
    * Download as PDF
    * Printable version

Languages

* Alemannisch
    * Български
    * Deutsch
    * Français
    * Italiano
    * Nederlands
    * Русский
    * Српски / Srpski
    * 中文

* This page was last modified on 31 January 2011 at 07:20.
    * Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. See Terms of Use for details.
      Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization.
    * Contact us

* Privacy policy
    * About Wikipedia
    * Disclaimers

* Wikimedia Foundation