_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6717|Riva, MD
Like those ones you see commercials about and then you don't have to take BS classes unrelated to your major in them?

I think I'm pretty much fucked now with my math class, the final is in two days and I have only a few things left that I can do for credit and I have a 68.  Timewise I can't afford to fail this class, it's a half-semester math class that was linked to another half-semester math class, and then I would've had to take another math class over the summer in order to finally be able to take one in the fall that would let me take something concurrently that was related to my major.  Now it's about to be all fucked unless my combined lab assignment and attendence grade kick in and save me.

So are those tech schools decent and will you still get good pay from going to them?  Or do they give you some sort of worthless bullshit degree and you end up making barely enough to live off like my parents think?

Last edited by _j5689_ (2011-03-13 20:00:07)

Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5702|College Park, MD
i think the ones on TV are not that great, but there are definitely a lot of reputable vocational schools where you get things like electrician's training or plumber's training

It's very hard work, but if you're a smart businessman then you can make a pretty good living off of it after a few years. But it is very hard work (physically at least).

IMO it'd be better for you to get your act together and retake any courses you do poorly in, then transfer to a four-year college.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6717|Riva, MD
I'm not talking about a trade school, I'm talking about those ones where you can still do computer related things

I'd have to wait till at least summer to retake this one, and I'm about to owe my parents $1200 because it was 800$ for both of those I think and then also 400$ for when I dropped speech.

There's still a chance I might pass because there are is an uncalculated 10% for attendance which I was already perfect in, and then also another 10% for the two lab assignments, which don't seem to even have to be right, they just have to be done, and then the final itself is worth only 15% and I'll have probably a 69% grade on the other 65% of the calculated assignemnts after I get in the last few of those.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6468
For-profit "education" is one of the bigger scams.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
well in that case, idk, they may not be "bad" but they won't get the respect that going to a regionally accredited school does. It'll be harder to get internships and whatnot since if a recruiter has two applicants who are exactly the same save that one goes to a community college or 4 year college and the other goes to something like ITT Tech, he'll take the first one.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6497

dude, just shank someone. anyone. you'll get three hots and a cot, they don't drug test, and they'll teach you how to pound out license plates.

plus, that will solve your girl problem, and you can touch all the dreadlocks you want.
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5484|Bolingbrook, Illinois
self teach yourself programming/computers
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6737|Oxferd Ohire

burnzz wrote:

dude, just shank someone. anyone. you'll get three hots and a cot, they don't drug test, and they'll teach you how to pound out license plates.

plus, that will solve your girl problem, and you can touch all the dreadlocks you want.
he doesnt need to know how to parallel park either!
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6291|Washington St.
I know a crap ton of people that went to those types of schools and transferred to a larger more reputable school after 2 years and got a "real" degree. It might take a total of 5 but it's worth it
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6717|Riva, MD

RTHKI wrote:

burnzz wrote:

he doesnt need to know how to parallel park either!
I got 99 problems and every single thing is one
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6742|London

if your havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6497

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/21025/ss/99problems.jpg
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6497

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/21025/ss/aint%20one.jpg
justice
OctoPoster
+978|6741|OctoLand
I could really go for a bacon sandwich right now
I know fucking karate
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5474|Ventura, California
I was in a tech school in Switzerland. It was a 3 year course in computer programming, photoshop, computer troubleshooting, installing OSes, internet programming (PHP, CSS, XHTML) etc.

Those bastards gave me math, physics, chemistry, French, English, German, law (was epic), and economy (liked that too).

I wasted 1 year of my life in that damn school. I could have learned way WAY more than they taught. The teachers, for the most part, would give us assignments and leave us to try and figure it out by ourselves, they didn't teach us anything, we learned pretty much everything on our own and we had hours in the classroom to play flash games, watch youtube, etc. cause we'd finish the work quickly and have nothing else to do. I even made an internet site in my spare time (didn't put it online though, still got it in my files).

Damn tech schools, or at least they called it "Tech school" in Switzerland, donno if we're talking about the same thing.

/didn't read entire OP
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6717|Riva, MD
Similar, but I'd be trying to find ones where they don't make you take classes just for the sake of it that aren't related to your major, like english and math classes and speech.

But Hurri is probably right, better to retake the class if I fail it.  It just pisses my parents off when this happens though and I'm sick of dealing with it, I just want to go at MY fucking pace

Last edited by _j5689_ (2011-03-14 06:30:17)

HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5484|Bolingbrook, Illinois

_j5689_ wrote:

It just pisses my parents off when this happens though and I'm sick of dealing with it, I just want to go at MY fucking pace
this is one of the more retarded things ive ever read.

you should be pissed off at yourself, and you should be agreeing with your parents.  you're not very bright if you think it's ok for you to fail a class because you want to go at an extremely slow pace
Defiance
+438|6671

The ones you see on TV in the US are (for the most part) as expensive as private universities and put more money in to marketing than education. Whether you do get a good education or not is largely dependent on the work you put in to it, as with everywhere else, but employers tend to throw out resumes with those kinds of schools on them.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6667

HaiBai wrote:

_j5689_ wrote:

It just pisses my parents off when this happens though and I'm sick of dealing with it, I just want to go at MY fucking pace

you should be pissed off at yourself, and you should be agreeing with your parents.  you're not very bright if you think it's ok for you to fail a class because you want to go at an extremely slow pace
He's probably not Asian.

BTW, I'm a standard college degree snob.  Yeah, I take away points from tech school graduates.  They are almost all automatons who have to be micromanaged.  I prefer all-around students.  Yes, that includes some college partying experience.
Stimey
­
+786|6120|Ontario | Canada

Doctor Strangelove wrote:

all universities are corporatized
­
­
­
­
­
­
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

Stimey wrote:

fail
Defiance
+438|6671

Stimey wrote:

Though relatively few are for profit, and none of the notable schools.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6717|Riva, MD

Ilocano wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

_j5689_ wrote:

He's probably not Asian.

BTW, I'm a standard college degree snob.  Yeah, I take away points from tech school graduates.  They are almost all automatons who have to be micromanaged.  I prefer all-around students.  Yes, that includes some college partying experience.
Very little partying to be done in community college
eleven bravo
+1,399|5259|foggy bottom
Tu Stultus Es
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
"the fact that, uhm...."

gotta love the "credits are unlikely to transfer" thing

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard