Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6610|132 and Bush

Yea, it's a fascination with a doomsday scenario I guess.

Here is the other explosion http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pa … um=twitter
Smoke was seen rising from reactor number three at the Fukushima plant but officials said the reactor core was still intact, and that radiation levels were below legal limits.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
menzo
̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏&#
+616|6455|Amsterdam‫
SHIT,

i hoped it would get a bit better today, and now this.
https://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/menzo2003/fredbf2.png
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6610|132 and Bush

..although we are operating on the assumption that the Japanese media is being 100% honest and accurate in their reporting. The USS Carrier Ronald Reagan just moved after it detected a radioactive plume off the coast of Japan.
Detectors aboard the USS Ronald Reagan also sounded while it was located 100 miles north east of the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant. Low amounts of radioactive materials have been released into the atmosphere as plant officials desperately try to prevent a meltdown of the nuclear cores at two of the plant's reactors.
It's probably precautionary. But you never know.. Japan could have their own version of Baghdad Bob. I tend to lean more towards media hype (regarding the radiation threat at this current time) though.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6684|Canberra, AUS
Seriously there are probably areas of the world where people live quite happily where they receive higher doses of radiation. People probably eat plenty of food containing higher doses of radiation.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6610|132 and Bush

I read once that what the Astronauts on the ISS get in one day is that of what we normally get in a whole year on earth. I'm sure they have improved the shielding since though. .. I hope.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6684|Canberra, AUS
It varies tons though. If you live on a place with lots of granite - ie an area which has had, or has, heavy volcanism, then you'll almost certainly have received more radiation than a bloke near the reactor vessel will.

This whole episode makes me wish someone would just break the telephones/websites whatever of almost every green group around the world. Snide, opportunistic, brainless morons.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6610|132 and Bush

I presume the were meant on average, about 1 millisievert of radiation. http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn2 … nting.html
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6009|...

Kmar wrote:

I read once that what the Astronauts on the ISS get in one day is that of what we normally get in a whole year on earth. I'm sure they have improved the shielding since though. .. I hope.
Yep, entirely true. I remember reading some time ago that manned missions to mars are impossible with current technology because the radiation would kill people, pretty much.

Found a little document on the precise amounts;

http://spacemath.gsfc.nasa.gov/weekly/3Page28.pdf

varies per region as well I believe though, in some areas outside our atmosphere you actually do accumulate that much, or even more.
inane little opines
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5970|Places 'n such
Even if there is a meltdown, which isn't going to happen, it's not going to be a doomsday chernobyl type event. It's going to be a mess and hard to clean up though.
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6610|132 and Bush

Fuel rods are entirely exposed at Fukushima Daiichi No.2 reactor; cannot rule out fuel meltdown. Reuters
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6610|132 and Bush

heggs wrote:

This is amazing to me that the reactor could even be going into meltdown, in this day in age.... in Japan of all places. In general, they don't fuck around when it comes to safety. The quake must have really fucked some shit up for this to be an issue like it is now.
U.S. Nuke Plants Safer Than Japanese, Industry Says http://abcn.ws/h3B8QV
Xbone Stormsurgezz
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5970|Places 'n such
Entirely exposed as in the casing and steel container have cracked? If so there's still the massive lump of concrete to catch it all if it melts. Should be fine either way. Well, fine-ish.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6610|132 and Bush

I think exposed as in no sea water cooling them. I'm resisting the urge to speculate all being fine or bad. Tbh without complete information both speculations are equally annoying .
Xbone Stormsurgezz
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5970|Places 'n such
true, if it were to go into meltdown they wouldn't be cooling them with water which kinda makes that news a bit worrying
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6610|132 and Bush

This says that they have lost the ability to cool reactor 2. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/as_japan_ear … tlbmphcGE-
I know they have said that they stopped the fission process (like a long time ago), but has it cooled past the tipping point?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6115|eXtreme to the maX

Spark wrote:

It varies tons though. If you live on a place with lots of granite - ie an area which has had, or has, heavy volcanism, then you'll almost certainly have received more radiation than a bloke near the reactor vessel will.
I miss the days when it was called vulcanism.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6819|Nårvei

Clint Eastwoods latest film Hereafter has been cancelled in all Japanese theaters, the tsunami scene is apparently the reason ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6661|USA

Varegg wrote:

Clint Eastwoods latest film Hereafter has been cancelled in all Japanese theaters, the tsunami scene is apparently the reason ...
you mean it is the tsunami scene, and not the actual tsunami and nuclear threat and earthquakes, that have canceled it? Wow can't say there are not movie fans in Japan
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6819|Nårvei

lowing wrote:

Varegg wrote:

you mean it is the tsunami scene, and not the actual tsunami and nuclear threat and earthquakes, that have canceled it? Wow can't say there are not movie fans in Japan
Yes because of the tsunami scene ... don't think the Japanese find that particularly entertaining considering they just experienced one IRL ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6661|USA

Varegg wrote:

lowing wrote:

Varegg wrote:

Yes because of the tsunami scene ... don't think the Japanese find that particularly entertaining considering they just experienced one IRL ...
never mind.
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6636|UK

Kmar wrote:

This says that they have lost the ability to cool reactor 2. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/as_japan_ear … tlbmphcGE-
I know they have said that they stopped the fission process (like a long time ago), but has it cooled past the tipping point?
I had no idea that reactors/the stuff in them/the waste took so long to cool down.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6507

Mekstizzle wrote:

The media seem to be blowing this out of proportion, 8.9 is huge and the Tsunamis were big...but Japan has got this shit on lock.
Japan 'overwhelmed by the scale of the damage'

'I'm giving up hope'

"I never imagined we would be in such a situation" Watanabe said. "I had a good life before. Now we have nothing. No gas, no electricity, no water."
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5970|Places 'n such
3rd reactors going wrong now?? Meltdown is looking more and more likely.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6232|Escea

Some are saying there has already been a partial meltdown.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6676

Kmar wrote:

..although we are operating on the assumption that the Japanese media is being 100% honest and accurate in their reporting. The USS Carrier Ronald Reagan just moved after it detected a radioactive plume off the coast of Japan.
Detectors aboard the USS Ronald Reagan also sounded while it was located 100 miles north east of the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant. Low amounts of radioactive materials have been released into the atmosphere as plant officials desperately try to prevent a meltdown of the nuclear cores at two of the plant's reactors.
It's probably precautionary. But you never know.. Japan could have their own version of Baghdad Bob. I tend to lean more towards media hype (regarding the radiation threat at this current time) though.
Except, Japanese tend to hide truth until they can't deny due to overwhelming proof.  Honor code that seems OK as long as you can deny it.  Recent vehicle recall issues for example.  The atrocities in China that they still haven't completely apologised about.  The war brothels in Korea and Philippines.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard