Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5356|London, England

Macbeth wrote:

Jay wrote:

The President can't spend more than sixty days in a combat zone without a formal declaration of war from Congress, or Congress' approval of such a police action. Yes, it was illegal.
Law added in the 70s to fuck Nixon. Has been ignored by every president since
So you agree that the war was illegal then.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6688|Tampa Bay Florida
We were there because of NATO and you know it.  That's about a 100 times better excuse then whatever we had for Iraq. Yes it was stupid, no we shouldn't have done it.  That's not the way the world works though.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Spearhead wrote:

We were there because of NATO and you know it.  That's about a 100 times better excuse then whatever we had for Iraq. Yes it was stupid, no we shouldn't have done it.  That's not the way the world works though.
Then why are you rah rahing Obama over it?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6735|Oxferd Ohire
i think ill buy cinnabon tomorrow
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5583

Jay wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Jay wrote:

The President can't spend more than sixty days in a combat zone without a formal declaration of war from Congress, or Congress' approval of such a police action. Yes, it was illegal.
Please, we both know what you meant by calling it illegal.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Macbeth wrote:

Jay wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Please, we both know what you meant by calling it illegal.
Ok. I'm completely unaware of history post-1792, gotcha.
-Frederick Bastiat
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6735|Oxferd Ohire
youre defo unaware of what happened during the 2nd iraq war
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

RTHKI wrote:

i think ill buy cinnabon tomorrow
Did you know that if you are trying to sell a house that the best way to gain interest is by baking cinnamon rolls the morning of the open house?
-Frederick Bastiat
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
Mostly to be a dick, half sarcasm, half sticking it to the anti-Obama right wingers who were the first to call for intervention, then to call for invasion, then bitched everyday about how it was taking too long.  None of what they were ever saying was anywhere close to the truth.  I've been watching politics long enough to know they will rewrite history when it suits them, that's why I brought up this thread again.  I've followed this Libya story from day 1 and still do.  I think it's interesting, not just the conflict itself but the effect US domestic politics has on our foreign policy.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

RTHKI wrote:

youre defo unaware of what happened during the 2nd iraq war
Congress approved the invasion.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Spearhead wrote:

Mostly to be a dick, half sarcasm, half sticking it to the anti-Obama right wingers who were the first to call for intervention, then to call for invasion, then bitched everyday about how it was taking too long.  None of what they were ever saying was anywhere close to the truth.  I've been watching politics long enough to know they will rewrite history when it suits them, that's why I brought up this thread again.  I've followed this Libya story from day 1 and still do.  I think it's interesting, not just the conflict itself but the effect US domestic politics has on our foreign policy.
The Timbuktu shrines
-Frederick Bastiat
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
Not to say the Dems don't do that as well, but I feel like they are more serious when it comes to sanely and responsibly maintaining our place and influence in the new world order.  But if the NWO itself is your problem, then vote for Ron Paul.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
They're just as interventionist as Republicans, they just have an aversion to body bags since Vietnam almost destroyed their party. The only president that has looked at the size and scope of the military realistically during my lifetime has been Bill Clinton. Obama is no Clinton. Not by a long shot.

Last edited by Jay (2012-08-09 13:42:29)

-Frederick Bastiat
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
Well put.  I think, demographically speaking, they are also the most likely to get booted out of office for being a hawk.  But as far as the centers and fluctuations of power, yep, nothings changed.

Also, Nigerias been getting seriously whacked by the radical Muslims lately.  Perhaps related to the Arab Spring/breakdown of North African governments?
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
Obama also inherited two quagmires.  I'm not saying that he's as good as Clinton when it comes to staying the hell out of places, but he's also the first post 9/11 Democrat.  The doctrines Bush and Obama have been pushing, similarities and differences, I think will shape our foreign policy for the next 50 years.  They are probably going to be the most influential since Truman.  Don't quote me though. 

What some fail to realize is that we have been in continuous armed conflict overseas since the Mexican-American War.  Sometimes it's more visible and consequential, sometimes not.  Howard Zinns "A People's history of the US" has got a great list.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6773|Moscow, Russia
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard