War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6860|Purplicious Wisconsin

-Sh1fty- wrote:

War Man wrote:

CC-Marley wrote:

I'd like us to sit this one out.
Precisely. It's just fucking Libya, not exactly gonna do anything threatening to us.
Don't they give us oil?

Last I checked gas is up to 3.97 for regular.
Not as much as Canada or Saudi Arabia as I recall. Unfortunately it does have an impact on raising gas prices 'cause speculators think too much on things. God, wish we could just use our own oil that our land has as well as Canada's and be fine with just that.

Last edited by War Man (2011-03-07 23:45:10)

The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5383|Cleveland, Ohio
"In my opinion, any future defense secretary who advises the President to again send a big American land army into Asia or into the Middle East or Africa should have his head examined, as General MacArthur so delicately put it." - gates
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,813|6252|eXtreme to the maX
Erm, we've known that since 1987 at least.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093779/
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
11 Bravo
Banned
erm way before that erm
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

11 Bravo wrote:

erm way before that erm
Need to learn from mistakes, not keep repeating them eh?
11 Bravo
Banned

Dilbert_X wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

erm way before that erm
Need to learn from mistakes, not keep repeating them eh?
not my mistakes, derp
11 Bravo
Banned
and aussies are there also...same with brits.  derp.  troll.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

11b wrote:

not my mistakes, derp
So quit the whining.

11b wrote:

"In my opinion, any future defense secretary who advises the President to again send a big American land army into Asia or into the Middle East or Africa should have his head examined, as General MacArthur so delicately put it." - gates
11 Bravo
Banned

Dilbert_X wrote:

11b wrote:

not my mistakes, derp
So quit the whining.

11b wrote:

its my money however.  derp.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6557|'Murka

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

War Man wrote:

CC-Marley wrote:

I'd like us to sit this one out.
Precisely. It's just fucking Libya, not exactly gonna do anything threatening to us.
debatable

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_Berli … ue_bombing
We already responded to Libya over that one.

And Libya's oil primarily goes to Europe (Italy, IIRC).
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Libya's oil is sold on the open market, thats all we need to know.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6821|Canberra, AUS
there's no "oil market"  in the same sense as your sunday grocery markets though...
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
11 Bravo
Banned

Dilbert_X wrote:

no its mainly for the euros who use all that diesel
FEOS
+1,182|6557|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/p … 19882.html

Where does Libya's oil go?
According to official trade data, in 2008 the majority of Libyan oil exports were sold to European countries like Italy (523,000 barrels a day), Germany (210,000 barrels a day), Spain (104,000 barrels a day) and France (137,000 barrels a day).

The US Energy Information Administration estimates the United States imported an average of 102,000 barrels of oil a day from Libya in 2008, up from 56,000 barrels a day in 2005.

In 2008, this meant around seven per cent of Libya's exports went to the US, compared to around three per cent to the UK, according to the EIA/Global Trade Atlas.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Spark wrote:

there's no "oil market"  in the same sense as your sunday grocery markets though...
There's an international market just as there is for any other commodity.

Its not as if Libya is giving oil to Europe at a special price...

FEOS wrote:

Where does Libya's oil go?
According to official trade data, in 2008 the majority of Libyan oil exports were sold to European countries like Italy (523,000 barrels a day), Germany (210,000 barrels a day), Spain (104,000 barrels a day) and France (137,000 barrels a day).

The US Energy Information Administration estimates the United States imported an average of 102,000 barrels of oil a day from Libya in 2008, up from 56,000 barrels a day in 2005.

In 2008, this meant around seven per cent of Libya's exports went to the US, compared to around three per cent to the UK, according to the EIA/Global Trade Atlas.
Because its geographically convenient, and local oil works out slightly cheaper due to transport costs but its still sold on the open market at a market rate.

Venezuela is usually one of the top four suppliers of crude oil and fuel to the U.S., according to Energy Department figures. In some months the country sends more to the U.S. than Saudi Arabia. The top four suppliers include Mexico and Canada, and the order of the rankings change month by month.
zomg the US buys oil locally zomg Venezuela is communist zomg communists are giving free oil to america zomg

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2011-03-08 04:32:45)

FEOS
+1,182|6557|'Murka

WTF are you getting so excited about?

All it shows is that national interests are often tied to energy interests. The US's national interests do not lie with what's going on in Libya, except for their WMD stockpile security and the broader effect on energy markets. European countries' national interests are more directly effected, thus they have more of a reason to intervene.
― Albert Einstein

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Why are Europes interests more affected?

The only real effect apart from a blip in the oil price might be a mass exodus of refugees from Libya.,
FEOS
+1,182|6557|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

Why are Europes interests more affected?

The only real effect apart from a blip in the oil price might be a mass exodus of refugees from Libya.,
A large part of two major countries' oil (Italy and Spain) comes from Libya, plus the potential humanitarian crisis. Yep. That's pretty much it in a nutshell. Additionally, any regime that gets put in place there if Daffy falls is much closer to Europe than the US.
― Albert Einstein

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Well, Europe has been close to Libya for a while now, its unlikely Gadaffi will be replaced by anyone any worse so I'm just not seeing a huge problem.

Saudi oil is closer to Europe than the US so no trouble there either.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2011-03-08 04:43:40)

FEOS
+1,182|6557|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

Well, Europe has been close to Libya for a while now, its unlikely Gadaffi will be replaced by anyone any worse so I'm just not seeing a huge problem.
Short-sightedness. It's as likely he'll be replaced by someone worse as he'll be replaced by someone better.
― Albert Einstein

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

FEOS wrote:

Short-sightedness. It's as likely he'll be replaced by someone worse as he'll be replaced by someone better.
Paranoia, calm down.
Another US puppet would stuff up the whole region, apart from that Gadaffi is pretty awful so there's a good chance the next maniac will be an improvement.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2011-03-08 04:46:00)

FEOS
+1,182|6557|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

Well, another US puppet would stuff up the whole region, apart from that Gadaffi is pretty awful so there's a good chance the next maniac will be an improvement.
Again. The odds are just as good the next "maniac" would be worse than Daffy. And it could just as easily be an Italian, Spanish, or British "puppet," depending on who intervenes and how.
― Albert Einstein

11 Bravo
Banned

Dilbert_X wrote:

US
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

FEOS wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Well, another US puppet would stuff up the whole region, apart from that Gadaffi is pretty awful so there's a good chance the next maniac will be an improvement.
Again. The odds are just as good the next "maniac" would be worse than Daffy. And it could just as easily be an Italian, Spanish, or British "puppet," depending on who intervenes and how.
Can't see the Italians doing anything really.

Otherwise I would imagine the British would supply money, arms and satellite photos to whichever loony cult says they must possess Libya and eradicate everyone else in order to bring about the apocalypse based on a scroll they found in a cave.

No wait, I'm getting confused, I would imagine the British would support a no-fly zone agreed by the UN and work towards democratic elections once the fighting is over.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2011-03-08 04:52:57)

-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5620|Ventura, California
nuke libya
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard