Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6592|132 and Bush

International Criminal Court issues arrest warrant for Libya's Moammar Gadhafi - AP
Xbone Stormsurgezz
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6315|Graz, Austria

Kmar wrote:

International Criminal Court issues arrest warrant for Libya's Moammar Gadhafi - AP
And his son Saif al-Islam, as well as his brother-in-law and intelligence chief Abdullah Senussi.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6097|eXtreme to the maX

Cheeky_Ninja06 wrote:

Its telling that Europe cannot function militarily without USA.
Maybe Europe can't be bothered about Libya?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6705|Purplicious Wisconsin

Dilbert_X wrote:

Cheeky_Ninja06 wrote:

More like they need to invest more in their military and not rely on us.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
Cheeky_Ninja06
+52|6724|Cambridge, England

Dilbert_X wrote:

Cheeky_Ninja06 wrote:

Perhaps, but if this were the case I would expect them to not get involved rather than trying to do something and failing.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
No-fly zone is working, job done.

You want to invade go right ahead.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5990|...
Dilbert the problem is that, while the no fly zone is working, the EU members participating barely managed to pull it off. It would've been literally impossible without US help, which provided more than half the firepower and lead the initial attack (sort of still is, but under the guise of NATO).

Considering that the Libya mission is a small one, that is worrisome.
inane little opines
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6402|'Murka

The US is providing pretty much all the air refueling and reconnaissance support. Don't think NATO would be able to do anything without that. The organic resources of the NATO countries in those mission areas aren't nearly adequate to the mission requirements.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

Kmar wrote:

The ICC and ICJ are such jokes it's not even funny.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6592|132 and Bush

FEOS wrote:

The US is providing pretty much all the air refueling and reconnaissance support. Don't think NATO would be able to do anything without that. The organic resources of the NATO countries in those mission areas aren't nearly adequate to the mission requirements.
Noticed more tankers flying around my house lately.

Macdill
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Cheeky_Ninja06

Dilbert_X wrote:

Oh so now you think it was only a no fly zone?
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6801|Nårvei

Kmar wrote:

And at the same that was the last nail in the coffin for reaching a diplomatic agreement with both parties in Libya ... good job ICC.
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Cheeky_Ninja06 wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

What, you mean like Iraq was about WMDs?
Cheeky_Ninja06

Dilbert_X wrote:

Cheeky_Ninja06 wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

What, you mean like Iraq was about WMDs?
I just seem to remember somewhere in the last 50 pages you banging on about how its all for oil and something about no fly zone means you cant attack AA clearly inferring you did not think what was happening in Libya constituted a no fly zone.

Now you say it is a no fly zone? Its not, it never was. As the UNSC resolution states all measures short of ground invasion to protect civilians.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Whatever, the UN resolution says its a no-fly zone and not an invasion.
As we know you can't effect regime change from the air, or really protect civilians, if the US wants to invade then please go right ahead.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6666|Canberra, AUS
Err no Dilbert. I said this as soon as the resolution was written, it was painfully obvious that this was way more than just a no fly zone.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
The the US is free to do what it wants, whatever that is, and can stop crying that NATO isn't doing it.
Cheeky_Ninja06
Ah so now the UK is a part of the US. I see what you did there.

The point I made is that Europe cant perform in Libya without the US. Which goes some way to explaining why the UNSC is so toothless as apparently the arab league couldnt do it either.
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6556|Area 51

Cheeky_Ninja06 wrote:

Ah so now the UK is a part of the US. I see what you did there.

The point I made is that Europe cant perform in Libya without the US. Which goes some way to explaining why the UNSC is so toothless as apparently the arab league couldnt do it either.
I'm pretty sure Europe can perform in Libya if they really commited to the cause.
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5990|Vortex Ring State

Cheeky_Ninja06 wrote:

The point I made is that Europe cant perform in Libya without the US.
hmmmm, while they still relied on US support for airstrikes and stuff, didn't Britain and France go ahead with sending in attack helicopters? without US sending in some of it's own?
Cheeky_Ninja06
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13922821

And with the mission authorised to continue for another 90 days, no-one can yet work out the long-term impact on the UK's stretched armed forces, yet alone how and when it will all end.

The second most senior officer in the Royal Air Force, Air Chief Marshal Sir Simon Bryant, has already warned of the strain on personnel and resources - echoing the concerns of the first Sea Lord, Sir Mark Stanhope, who has spoken out for the Royal Navy.

And in the meantime the first cracks in the alliance have already started to appear.

Italy's foreign minister has called for a temporary halt to the bombing campaign to avoid civilian casualties.

Nato members have warned of the strain on their military resources. The clock is not just ticking for Col Gaddafi.
Its not exactly a tour de force.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
The UK has been stretched pointlessly in Iraq and Afghanistan, is handling the no-fly zone in Libya fine, what exactly are you whining about?
Cheeky_Ninja06

Dilbert_X wrote:

The UK has been stretched pointlessly in Iraq and Afghanistan, is handling the no-fly zone in Libya fine, what exactly are you whining about?
Myself, first Sea Lord, Sir Mark Stanhope and Air Chief Marshal Sir Simon Bryant disagree with you.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Whatever, UK modern forces were never developed to fight decade-long wars, nevertheless they are doing OK.
Senior bods always want more money for toys.
Cheeky_Ninja06

Dilbert_X wrote:

Whatever, UK modern forces were never developed to fight decade-long wars, nevertheless they are doing OK.
Senior bods always want more money for toys.
So we cant believe the only people in the country who truly know the state of the Armed forces or BBC reporting. So what do you have to offer? Another wiki link? Or just your truly well informed "gut feel"

They were never developed to fight decade long wars? Agreed, I would also argue they never intended to fight decade long wars and particularly in Libya the reason it is taking so long is because they are failing to deliver what they were "developed for."

Lets skim over the fact that many of our aircraft have been serving since the 60s..

Last edited by Cheeky_Ninja06 (2011-06-29 03:03:36)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard