Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6141|...

eleven bravo wrote:

the awful part was clearing out the vehicle of equipment, weapons and ammo.  I was put on that detail.
Didn't even think about that, I suppose that stuff has to happen as well yeah, bah
inane little opines
eleven bravo
+1,399|5401|foggy bottom

Shocking wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

the awful part was clearing out the vehicle of equipment, weapons and ammo.  I was put on that detail.
Didn't even think about that, I suppose that stuff has to happen as well yeah, bah
The guy we lost was the driver.  IED detonated directly under him.  Although I thik the the thing that killed him was his nightsight being pushed against his face during the blast.  It was pretty bad because everything that was directly behind after the blast was contanimated with bio from our driver.  RIP Sapp
Tu Stultus Es
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6141|...

eleven bravo wrote:

yep.  if youre lucky you stay a dismount.  If you aint, you get your turn with the mounted.  Being mounted definately has its perks.  I remember how I was always bitching about how they stuck me as a driver one time when I wanted to be on the ground with my saw.  During one patrol, we had to hump 15 miles in the middle of july while it was 120 degrees.  They asked me if I wanted to switch out with any of the tired dismounts I said "fuck that"  I mean its hot as fuck inside a track but at least I could beat off when we park.
main gun is operated by a permanent crewmember yeah? I remember hearing from some guy that the US added a tow launcher to his car (fennek I believe) and he was happy as hell about it - saved him the work of shooting through the mud/shit walls (whatever those talis use to make it). Was laughing as now he could literally launch them tens of feet in the air.

Then again I suppose its more fun when youre sitting behind a screen with a joystick

arent you a tiny guy btw? SAW+ammo being heavy as shit hauling it around for a long time I figured they usually pick the bigger guys to carry them

Last edited by Shocking (2011-03-30 09:07:44)

inane little opines
eleven bravo
+1,399|5401|foggy bottom
gunner, commander, driver and a team of dismounts per track.  Brad has a tow launcher too although the only time we ever needed to use it it malfunctioned.  couldnt use it in those close narrow iraqi urban streets either because of all the wires iraqis love hanging across the street from the roof of one apartment to another
Tu Stultus Es
eleven bravo
+1,399|5401|foggy bottom

Shocking wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

yep.  if youre lucky you stay a dismount.  If you aint, you get your turn with the mounted.  Being mounted definately has its perks.  I remember how I was always bitching about how they stuck me as a driver one time when I wanted to be on the ground with my saw.  During one patrol, we had to hump 15 miles in the middle of july while it was 120 degrees.  They asked me if I wanted to switch out with any of the tired dismounts I said "fuck that"  I mean its hot as fuck inside a track but at least I could beat off when we park.
main gun is operated by a permanent crewmember yeah? I remember hearing from some guy that the US added a tow launcher to his car (fennek I believe) and he was happy as hell about it - saved him the work of shooting through the mud/shit walls (whatever those talis use to make it). Was laughing as now he could literally launch them tens of feet in the air.

Then again I suppose its more fun when youre sitting behind a screen with a joystick

arent you a tiny guy btw? SAW+ammo being heavy as shit hauling it around for a long time I figured they usually pick the bigger guys to carry them
5'8 around 185 pounds when I was in Iraq.  I was a stocky bastard.  perfect for the SAW.
Tu Stultus Es
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5379|Cleveland, Ohio
pog
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6141|...

eleven bravo wrote:

The guy we lost was the driver.  IED detonated directly under him.  Although I thik the the thing that killed him was his nightsight being pushed against his face during the blast.  It was pretty bad because everything that was directly behind after the blast was contanimated with bio from our driver.  RIP Sapp
nasty, poor guy. Terrible to send people home like that. Remember reading in luttrell's book that hajji also like to unload weapons in people's faces after having killed them, fucking hell. Least that wasnt the case

5'8 around 185 pounds when I was in Iraq.  I was a stocky bastard.  perfect for the SAW.
185 and 5'8? heavy guy you, running must've been a bitch. You smoked as well right? ouch

Last edited by Shocking (2011-03-30 10:09:12)

inane little opines
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6141|...

eleven bravo wrote:

gunner, commander, driver and a team of dismounts per track.  Brad has a tow launcher too although the only time we ever needed to use it it malfunctioned.  couldnt use it in those close narrow iraqi urban streets either because of all the wires iraqis love hanging across the street from the roof of one apartment to another
You only stayed in urban areas during tours?
inane little opines
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5500|London, England

eleven bravo wrote:

I dont know.  Ive never handled it.  Even though I was mechanized infantry and we get that shit as part of our ammo load Ive only used HE, AP and the practice rounds for HE and AP.  SInce there was no armor threat in iraq after 2003 they dont want to risk getting soldiers needlessly exposed to that shit. 

and for everyone who says DU is the reason for the rise of birth defects and abnormalities in iraqi children, theyve never seen how polluted with chemicals not from the US that country is.  Found trace elements of all sorts of bio and chem substances in the water table in the area I was at
Yeah no shit. That place is foul.

People here in the West are used to the orderly disposal of stuff now. Imagine living in a country without garbage pickup and where people regularly just toss used chemicals and waste into the ditch on the side of the road. That's Iraq.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6547|North Carolina

Jay wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

I dont know.  Ive never handled it.  Even though I was mechanized infantry and we get that shit as part of our ammo load Ive only used HE, AP and the practice rounds for HE and AP.  SInce there was no armor threat in iraq after 2003 they dont want to risk getting soldiers needlessly exposed to that shit. 

and for everyone who says DU is the reason for the rise of birth defects and abnormalities in iraqi children, theyve never seen how polluted with chemicals not from the US that country is.  Found trace elements of all sorts of bio and chem substances in the water table in the area I was at

People here in the West are used to the orderly disposal of stuff now. Imagine living in a country without garbage pickup and where people regularly just toss used chemicals and waste into the ditch on the side of the road. That's Iraq.
To be fair though, that could describe a lot of the world.

But yeah, they love to blame shit on us.  It shows you how much they like us.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6141|...
I don't even know why they pull that shit with the chemicals, they know its dangerous. Obviously Iraq is not as bad but I remember hearing a story of someone who went to help develop towns in (I believe it was Congo, he does missionairy work builds schools and such) - either way somewhere around the middle of Africa. These towns had poisoned water supply, they went over there to teach the people how to filter and clean the water themselves, built them a well and taught them how to rebuild it in case something happened.

2 months later they come back, well collapsed and they're all back to drinking poisoned water, even though it was thoroughly explained that shit makes you seriously ill and/or die. They didn't rebuild it. What the fuck? is all I could say to that.
inane little opines
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Shocking wrote:

I don't even know why they pull that shit with the chemicals, they know its dangerous. Obviously Iraq is not as bad but I remember hearing a story of someone who went to help develop towns in (I believe it was Congo, he does missionairy work builds schools and such) - either way somewhere around the middle of Africa. These towns had poisoned water supply, they went over there to teach the people how to filter and clean the water themselves, built them a well and taught them how to rebuild it in case something happened.

2 months later they come back, well collapsed and they're all back to drinking poisoned water, even though it was thoroughly explained that shit makes you seriously ill and/or die. They didn't rebuild it. What the fuck? is all I could say to that.
Well, when you have no concept of microbes or chemicals... it's like trying to teach a blind man to paint. He won't understand why you're bothering.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada

Shocking wrote:

Natural selection, I guess.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6141|...

Jay wrote:

Well, when you have no concept of microbes or chemicals... it's like trying to teach a blind man to paint. He won't understand why you're bothering.
Yeah but is that an excuse? These are full grown adults getting taught. They know the water makes them ill, you obviously understand that when your entire village starts getting issues after drinking it.

The knowledge gets handed to you and every step of the way explained. Surely they must've noticed a difference between clear clean water and a muddy contaminated pool. Shit, even animals don't drink that.

Last edited by Shocking (2011-03-30 11:27:20)

inane little opines
Turquoise
O Canada

Shocking wrote:

Jay wrote:

Yeah but is that an excuse? These are full grown adults getting taught. They know the water makes them ill, you obviously understand that when your entire village starts getting issues after drinking it.

The knowledge gets handed to you and every step of the way explained. Surely they must've noticed a difference between clear clean water and a muddy contaminated pool. Shit, even animals don't drink that.
Sometimes, the adaptability of humans heavily depends on culture.  In some respects, you could say we're more dependent on this than most animals.

Perhaps, the culture involved here was so primitive that it simply wasn't able to adapt, and by extension, the individuals weren't able to.

While it is true that Africa has been repeatedly raped by external cultures throughout the centuries, most other areas of the world have adapted to modern living better than sub-Saharan Africa despite their own setbacks.  Even the most industrialized nation of that region (South Africa) is in sorry shape.  It could simply be a matter of cultures that do not allow their people to evolve.

A lot of the aid given to sub-Saharan Africa would seem to be fruitless, especially when looking at the spread of AIDS.  And then you have environmental factors as well, like the droughts that cause famines across the continent.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6141|...
I've been thinking it's got to be that as well. By the time we arrived their culture and societies were the least developed of all those around the globe, so I guess the sudden changes are extremely hard to adapt to even after hundreds of years.
inane little opines
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6365|Escea

Jay wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

Chris Ryan drank from a stream there during the first Gulf War while on E&E, not knowing it was contaminated with nuclear runoff from one of Saddam's weapon plants. Fucked up his blood pretty bad.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

M.O.A.B wrote:

Jay wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

Chris Ryan drank from a stream there during the first Gulf War while on E&E, not knowing it was contaminated with nuclear runoff from one of Saddam's weapon plants. Fucked up his blood pretty bad.
I had to look up who Chris Ryan is...
-Frederick Bastiat
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6553|'Murka

M.O.A.B wrote:

Jay wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

Couldn't have happened. Saddam didn't have any of that stuff. Evar.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6612

Turquoise wrote:

Shocking wrote:

Jay wrote:

Sometimes, the adaptability of humans heavily depends on culture.  In some respects, you could say we're more dependent on this than most animals.

Perhaps, the culture involved here was so primitive that it simply wasn't able to adapt, and by extension, the individuals weren't able to.

While it is true that Africa has been repeatedly raped by external cultures throughout the centuries, most other areas of the world have adapted to modern living better than sub-Saharan Africa despite their own setbacks.  Even the most industrialized nation of that region (South Africa) is in sorry shape.  It could simply be a matter of cultures that do not allow their people to evolve.

A lot of the aid given to sub-Saharan Africa would seem to be fruitless, especially when looking at the spread of AIDS.  And then you have environmental factors as well, like the droughts that cause famines across the continent.
that is a frighteningly and shockingly ahistorical analysis of south africa... jesus.

"it could simply be a matter of cultures that do not allow their people to evolve"

well holy fuck

no surprises that a country made of a european post-colonial ruling class has 'evolution' problems concerning the welfare of its formerly-subjugated citizens. fuck me. "it could be that american has a culture that does not allow its people to evolve"... how many years since the abolition of slavery and how many niggas still living in ghettos or ghost-towns across the land?
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6639

all of them.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

burnzz wrote:

all of them.
I was going to make a joke and say 'two' but this is more accurate.
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6612
i do agree that different cultures have a different set of ethics, social attitudes and general outlooks

but culture is a product of an underlying concrete system, normally tied closely to economic arrangement and political arrangement

without the economics and politics beneath a nation and its people, a culture will not exist-- even in the most rudimentary form

so to talk about certain people or countries having cultural dispositions with absolutely no acknowledgement of the history is a little strange
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6553|'Murka

Interesting discussion. Let's continue it without the racial slurs.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
ROGUEDD
BF2s. A Liberal Gang of Faggots.
+452|5531|Fuck this.
Shall they be referred to as Negroids then?
Make X-meds a full member, for the sake of 15 year old anal gangbang porn watchers everywhere!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard