FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6403|'Murka

globefish23 wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Still waiting for Shahter to enlighten us as to who is benefiting from this civil war in Lybia...
Saudi Arabia
That apparently stopped the oil price increasing more, so it benefits a lot of countries.
Actually, if it were really benefiting them, they wouldn't have increased production to cover the gap, in order to keep supplies lower and drive prices higher.

But we may be agreeing with each other here...
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

Enforcing a no fly zone is intervention.

But yea, hard to disagree with this from their point of view.

Muhammad min Libya wrote:

Nevertheless, one thing seems to have united Libyans of all stripes; any military intervention on the ground by any foreign force would be met – as Mustafa Abud Al Jeleil, the former justice minister and head of the opposition-formed interim government, said – with fighting much harsher than what the mercenaries themselves have unleashed.

Nor do I favour the possibility of a limited air strike for specific targets. This is a wholly popular revolution, the fuel to which has been the blood of the Libyan people. Libyans fought alone when western countries were busy ignoring their revolution at the beginning, fearful of their interests in Libya. This is why I'd like the revolution to be ended by those who first started it: the people of Libya.

So as the calls for foreign intervention grow, I'd like to send a message to western leaders: Obama, Cameron, Sarkozy. This is a priceless opportunity that has fallen into your laps, it's a chance for you to improve your image in the eyes of Arabs and Muslims. Don't mess it up. All your previous programmes to bring the east and the west closer have failed, and some of them have made things even worse. Don't start something you cannot finish, don't turn a people's pure revolution into some curse that will befall everyone. Don't waste the blood that my friend Ahmed spilt for me.

Let us just live as neighbours on the same planet. Who knows, may be I as your neighbour might one day show up at your doorstep to happily shake your hand.
You should also note that this is a single commenter's words. It's an editorial. That is not to say that there aren't more, or even possibly a majority of people who feel the same way. But who he represents as a whole is unknown.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
FEOS
+1,182|6403|'Murka

Got a feeling they'll be supporting that no-fly zone even more now.

Moammar Gadhafi's forces launched a concerted fight back against rebel-held towns in Libya Wednesday, reportedly taking two in the west and attacking two others in the east under the cover of airstrikes, witnesses said.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

Libya Accused of Jamming Satellite Signals
PARIS — Mobile satellite services operator Thuraya Telecommunications says it has "conclusive evidence" that Libya, one of its shareholders, is the source of "unlawful and intentional jamming" of Thuraya signals in Libya and surrounding areas over the past week.

The Dubai, United Arab Emirates-based company, which has dealt with Libya-based jamming in the past, said its technical teams are working to reduce the impact of the jamming and that, as of Feb. 25, "voice services were restored over much of the country."

The Thuraya-2 satellite's network is operational, it said, but is still contending with jamming attempts at its beams serving Libya. Thuraya-2 is a large mobile communications satellite built by Boeing Satellite Systems International and stationed at 44 degrees east in geostationary orbit. Thuraya also operates Thuraya-3, stationed at 98.5 degrees east.

The Thuraya statement, released on Friday (Feb. 25), follows similar complaints from Arab television broadcaster Al Jazeera, which said its signals into Libya had been jammed, and that the broadcaster had traced the jamming's source to a Libyan intelligence service facility south of Tripoli.

Since the rebellion in Tunisia in December that spread to Egypt, Bahrain and now Libya, Al Jazeera has been forced to contend with multiple jamming attempts that have led it to switch broadcasts among transponders aboard satellites operated by Eutelsat of Paris, Arabsat of Saudi Arabia and Egypt's Nilesat.

Thuraya suffered repeated jamming in 2006 that affected its revenue and took the company months to identify. Ultimately it determined that the sources were several Libyan military installations that may or may not have been aware of the effect of their actions. A diplomatic initiative successfully ended the jamming.
http://www.space.com/11000-libya-satell … witterfeed

Trying to cut off all communication...
Xbone Stormsurgezz
FEOS
+1,182|6403|'Murka

Interesting that Libya's capability is good enough to focus just on the spot beams servicing Libya, rather than brute-forcing the entire bird. It's not not difficult, but it's not trivial, either.
― Albert Einstein

Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS
So it is difficult?

Last edited by Spark (2011-03-02 03:46:04)

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

MoGaf's primary motivation is keeping his populace uniformed.. he doesn't want al jazeera broadcasting in, letting libyan's know how much control has been lost.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
FEOS
+1,182|6403|'Murka

Spark wrote:

So it is difficult?
The technology involved is not complicated, but the techniques required to make it happen are not trivial.
― Albert Einstein

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

He's screwing with his neighbors now.. well beyond refugees.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Spark
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS

FEOS wrote:

Spark wrote:

So it is difficult?
The technology involved is not complicated, but the techniques required to make it happen are not trivial.
Haha, I was just having a playful poke at the accidental repeated word leading to a double negative in your post.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

That wasn't a double negative. His negation was in seperate thoughts. A double negative would be something like, "we don't need no education".  I would have pointed out that he should have used neither rather than either. .. but I know I have no room to talk
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Spark
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS
"not not"?
~ Richard Feynman
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6141|'straya
Lol that was about as clear of a double negative as you can get
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

Spark wrote:

"not not"?
Actually I only read one not. He still had two negations, but they would not have = a double negative.

Gaddafi warns “thousands of Libyans will die” if NATO or UN intervenes
The besieged dictator warned that “thousands of Libyans” would die if NATO or the UN intervened to ..... stop Gaddafi from killing thousands of Libyan.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/03/ … 8183.shtml
Pro-Qaddafi forces retook control of a key oil installation and port on the coast of the rebel-held eastern half of the country on Wednesday and the regime’s warplanes bombed an ammunition depot on the outskirts of a nearby town also controlled by the opposition, witnesses said.

Ahmed Jerksi, manager of the massive oil installation in the eastern town of Brega on the Mediterranean coast, said pro-Qaddafi forces retook control of the facility at dawn without using force. Breqa is about 125 miles from Libya’s second-largest city Benghazi, the nerve center of the rebel-held east.

A Brega resident, who told CBS News correspondent Mandy Clark he was too scared to leave his home, said he could hear air strikes and rocket fire. Clark, who was headed for the oil hub, heard other reports that a vicious fight was ongoing for control of the town, but said it was unclear who was in control.
It looks like pro-government forces are gaining momentum now.
No problem.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

btw, it's not often that you hear revolutionaries not asking for foreign support. That makes the commenter in Jenspm's a little suspect imo. He is after all sharing the same sentiment of nonintervention as Mogaf.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
FEOS
+1,182|6403|'Murka

This could be problematic for Gadaffyduck

Libya detains NATO troops during rescue mission

Three Dutch marines were being held by authorities in Libya after they were captured by forces loyal to Moammar Gadhafi while trying to rescue stranded workers, officials said Thursday.

The trio were surrounded by armed men and captured Sunday after landing near Sirte in a Lynx helicopter that was on board the navy ship HMS Tromp, which is anchored off the Libyan coast to help evacuations from the conflict-torn country, Dutch Defense Ministry spokesman Otte Beeksma told The Associated Press.

News of the marines' detention by Gadhafi came a day after anti-government rebels fought off forces loyal to Gadhafi in a fierce battle for Brega, a strategic oil facility 460 miles east of Gadhafi's stronghold in Tripoli.

Two people the marines were trying to rescue also were captured but have since been released and have left Libya. The identities of the marines were not released.
If Mo doesn't turn those boys back over immediately, he may just end up with some NATO-provided tritonal in his face...
― Albert Einstein

RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6557|Area 51

FEOS wrote:

This could be problematic for Gadaffyduck

Libya detains NATO troops during rescue mission

Three Dutch marines were being held by authorities in Libya after they were captured by forces loyal to Moammar Gadhafi while trying to rescue stranded workers, officials said Thursday.

The trio were surrounded by armed men and captured Sunday after landing near Sirte in a Lynx helicopter that was on board the navy ship HMS Tromp, which is anchored off the Libyan coast to help evacuations from the conflict-torn country, Dutch Defense Ministry spokesman Otte Beeksma told The Associated Press.

News of the marines' detention by Gadhafi came a day after anti-government rebels fought off forces loyal to Gadhafi in a fierce battle for Brega, a strategic oil facility 460 miles east of Gadhafi's stronghold in Tripoli.

Two people the marines were trying to rescue also were captured but have since been released and have left Libya. The identities of the marines were not released.
If Mo doesn't turn those boys back over immediately, he may just end up with some NATO-provided tritonal in his face...
Ye! Fear the full might of the Dutch army. Oh wai- Our army is bankrupt and half of its shit is broken. Oh well..nevermind then.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5991|...
I hope this'll finally be a wake up call for everyone here that you can't cut the DoD budget every year and still demand them to do more simultaneously.

If they don't get them back with diplomacy I'd support an SF intervention.

Last edited by dayarath (2011-03-03 08:51:46)

inane little opines
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6613|London, England

dayarath wrote:

I hope this'll finally be a wake up call for everyone here that you can't cut the DoD budget every year and still demand them to do more simultaneously.

I dunno man, the US and its financial situation could be much easily relieved if it cut its defense budget. That's a whole different story. You're making it a hard sell by saying the DoD budget needs to stay (or, more likely for you, be raised by much more) when the US is actually not even doing anything (and probably won't)
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5350|London, England

Mekstizzle wrote:

dayarath wrote:

I dunno man, the US and its financial situation could be much easily relieved if it cut its defense budget. That's a whole different story. You're making it a hard sell by saying the DoD budget needs to stay (or, more likely for you, be raised by much more) when the US is actually not even doing anything (and probably won't)
dayarath is a brit
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5991|...
no i'm dutch

but the brits could use some more funds too
inane little opines
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5350|London, England

dayarath wrote:

no i'm dutch

but the brits could use some more funds too
Oh, weird, I thought you were English for some reason.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5991|...
Probably the 3rd time I told you now , you're not the first to make that mistake though
inane little opines
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5229|Cleveland, Ohio
lol the arab league wants a no fly zone....how about fuck you.  you do it.
FEOS
+1,182|6403|'Murka

Mekstizzle wrote:

dayarath wrote:

If we cut our defense budget to zero, we'd still have a deficit of ~$1 trillion. That's not where our budgetary problems lie. Not completely, at any rate.
― Albert Einstein

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard