BALTINS
ಠ_ಠ
+37|6631|Latvia

Kmar wrote:

Yea.. or as Winston Churchhill said, "History is written by the victors".
After reading up on the American civil war I actually wonder, compared to Libya where the rebels wanted a change of government and America where the south tried to secede from the Union, it actually sounds like the Union was more in the wrong than Gadaffi. I mean, the Unions existence wasn't threatened like Gadaffis government. Ignoring the whole tyrannical regime thing.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6745|132 and Bush

There were plenty of threatened people in the south.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,813|6250|eXtreme to the maX

LBJ wrote:

This, RAAF doctrine is almost identical in this case, it is a perfectly normal Offensive Counter Air (OCA) operation. It's not like this is some "omgomg Americans are blood thirsty" bullshit.
Offensive Counter Air Operation and enforcing a no-fly zone are two different things.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6555|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

LBJ wrote:

This, RAAF doctrine is almost identical in this case, it is a perfectly normal Offensive Counter Air (OCA) operation. It's not like this is some "omgomg Americans are blood thirsty" bullshit.
Offensive Counter Air Operation and enforcing a no-fly zone are two different things.
No, Dilbert. They aren't. OCA and DCA are both types of air ops you would execute to enforce a NFZ.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

BALTINS wrote:

Kmar wrote:

After reading up on the American civil war I actually wonder, compared to Libya where the rebels wanted a change of government and America where the south tried to secede from the Union, it actually sounds like the Union was more in the wrong than Gadaffi. I mean, the Unions existence wasn't threatened like Gadaffis government. Ignoring the whole tyrannical regime thing.
I don't see why they didn't have the right to secede, if thats what they wanted.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

FEOS wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

LBJ wrote:

No, Dilbert. They aren't. OCA and DCA are both types of air ops you would execute to enforce a NFZ.
According to the doctrine, which isn't necessarily right.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6293|'straya
Right or wrong it is doctrine; and when the UN gave the go ahead they knew what sort of operations it would entail.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

Right or wrong it is doctrine; and when the UN gave the go ahead they knew what sort of operations it would entail.
Thats a fair point, the doctrine is still BS.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6143|...
You really don't get it do you?

You impose a no fly zone on a country without its consent (obviously).

Would it be a good idea to keep AA emplacements on the ground intact, despite them being controlled by said country? Good idea to have them take potshots at you?

Come on Dilbert, even you have to realise that that is a completely retarded thing to do.
inane little opines
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
As I said already, if you're enforcing a ceasefire, or a safe-zone, wouldn't it be a good idea to take out all the tanks and artillery?  Good idea for them to be taking potshots at you?

This logic only applies to air wars apparently.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6143|...
How can you call it a ceasefire? That would imply mutual agreement, there is none.
inane little opines
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Pretty sure the Serbs didn't happily agree to any ceasefires or safe zones.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6143|...
And passively standing at the sideline worked out great didn't it?
inane little opines
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6549|North Carolina

Dilbert_X wrote:

Yes, but they did agree to murder a lot of people.

Last edited by Turquoise (2011-03-24 06:45:52)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5502|London, England

BALTINS wrote:

Kmar wrote:

Yeah, because all rebel groups are fluffy bunnies deserving their own country.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada

Jay wrote:

Well, a justified rebellion is in the eyes of the beholder.

For example, I doubt most British see our Revolution as a justified one.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6641

Shocking wrote:

Come on Dilbert, even you have to realise that that is a completely retarded thing to do.
you could tell dilbert the sun was shining and he'd argue the point.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5502|London, England

Turquoise wrote:

Jay wrote:

I just think Wilson set a really fucking awful precedent with his self determination bullshit. Yes, it's fantastic in theory, but those peoples who wanted to set up their own nation should've gone through the internal struggle on their own. Using the League of Nations or the UN to decide arbitrarily who has a legitimate claim was an asinine and meddlesome way to go about things.

I'm just sick of the whole 'they're rebels, so they must be right' mentality displayed by people in their teens and early twenties. It's ridiculously childish.

Last edited by Jay (2011-03-24 07:04:11)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada

Jay wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Jay wrote:

I just think Wilson set a really fucking awful precedent with his self determination bullshit. Yes, it's fantastic in theory, but those peoples who wanted to set up their own nation should've gone through the internal struggle on their own. Using the League of Nations or the UN to decide arbitrarily who has a legitimate claim was an asinine and meddlesome way to go about things.

I'm just sick of the whole 'they're rebels, so they must be right' mentality displayed by people in their teens and early twenties. It's ridiculously childish.
No argument here...   I generally prefer staying out of conflicts, but then again, I'm not gonna lose any sleep over entering them either.

It's just business as usual at this point.  We've been addicted to interventionism for about a century now.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6143|...
We didn't have a choice, there are interests involved in the intervention - some of which economic. By going in there we're protecting those, I'm sure that otherwise this would've been handled like 90% of the civil wars around the planets - dontgiveafuck. It's simply convenient that Gadaffi is a dictator that way you can easily get all the lost idealists behind your cause. I just see the humanitarian side as one of many variables in the equation.

The whole UN blabber however is ridiculous and a bit scary at the same time, that place shouldn't have a legislative function to begin with.

Last edited by Shocking (2011-03-24 07:38:51)

inane little opines
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5381|Cleveland, Ohio

Turquoise wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

so?
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5381|Cleveland, Ohio

Jay wrote:

I'm just sick of the whole 'they're rebels, so they must be right' mentality displayed by people in their teens and early twenties.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6765|London, England

11 Bravo wrote:

Jay wrote:

I'm just sick of the whole 'they're rebels, so they must be right' mentality displayed by people in their teens and early twenties.
They weren't rebels to begin with, if you followed this earlier as soon as it started. They were just protesting like they did in Egypt, except the violence that hit them back was like never seen before. They had to become rebels/armed militia, or die.

When it comes to real dictators and people like Gaddafi, it's hard to not sympathise with those who want him gone.

He keeps saying the same shit, bringing up irrelevant crap about Sandanistas and things as if it correlates with this shit. He doesn't even know what he's talking about, it seems like he's barely bothered to see what the situation is and is instead using history to jump to silly conclusions in order to justify whatever opinions he holds.
Turquoise
O Canada

11 Bravo wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

so?
I'm just saying, the Serbs did agree to certain things... 
Turquoise
O Canada

Shocking wrote:

We didn't have a choice, there are interests involved in the intervention - some of which economic. By going in there we're protecting those, I'm sure that otherwise this would've been handled like 90% of the civil wars around the planets - dontgiveafuck. It's simply convenient that Gadaffi is a dictator that way you can easily get all the lost idealists behind your cause. I just see the humanitarian side as one of many variables in the equation.

The whole UN blabber however is ridiculous and a bit scary at the same time, that place shouldn't have a legislative function to begin with.
I'm glad we agree on the UN.  It is pretty useless.

We do have a choice.  We always do.  It's just that the choices we make are most palatable to our leaders of industry.

Granted, I'm not really complaining.  I don't really expect us to operate any differently.  Libya is just another notch on our belt.  Whatever we learn from this will just be forgotten in another decade, and things will continue as usual.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard