Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6820|Canberra, AUS
Who the hell said destroy everything? It's about taking out AA ffs. It strikes me as appallingly retarded to try to patrol and area with AA hanging around and doing nothing about it.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6955|Nårvei

Dilbert_X wrote:

Varegg wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Then its a shit procedure and needs changing.
Why is that?
Going in guns blazing when you're there to protect civilians?
I can see one or two problems with that.
And where did you get guns blazing from?

They where trying to destroy the remains of an airplane with technology they rather not see in the hands of unfriendlies ... like mentioned that is standard procedure by NATO with allies and not just the US ... rescue downed personell and equipment, if equipment can't be resued it is to be destroyed ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6144|...
I already told you, Gadaffi threatened to fight back and you yourself have also seen the news images of air defence firing into the sky. I don't see the problem in disabling this air defence.

How are you going to impose a NFZ if you're not removing that which is threatening its implementation? It's not a 'destroy everything' tactic, that's what you make it out to be.

Your analogy of the russians doesn't make sense in that regard either, I suppose that if the US was threatening to nuke Russia and started flying B-52s in its direction, then yes, I suppose the russians should pre-emptively nuke the US.
inane little opines
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,813|6251|eXtreme to the maX

Spark wrote:

Who the hell said destroy everything? It's about taking out AA ffs. It strikes me as appallingly retarded to try to patrol and area with AA hanging around and doing nothing about it.
Bad luck, as I said already, wiping out every conceivable threat in the name of pre-emptive self defense seems only to apply to air operations and not ground or sea.

Did we take out every single tank in Bosnia to protect our ground troops? No, the doctrine doesn't apply there.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6746|132 and Bush

Its actually pretty funny that the unconfirmed victims are more forgiving than dilbert.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6144|...
Did the UN doctrine say 'defend civillians by any means necessary'? It did.

That includes bombing the tanks that were moments away from wrecking Benghazi.
inane little opines
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Kmar wrote:

Its actually pretty funny that the unconfirmed victims are more forgiving than dilbert.
I raised this argument before the fighting started.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Shocking wrote:

Which didn't happen in Bosnia did it?
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6820|Canberra, AUS

Dilbert_X wrote:

Spark wrote:

Bad luck, as I said already, wiping out every conceivable threat in the name of pre-emptive self defense seems only to apply to air operations and not ground or sea.

Did we take out every single tank in Bosnia to protect our ground troops? No, the doctrine doesn't apply there.
I can't help but think you're just being deliberately contrarian here, and just bringing this up because it's a tactic they're using. Because otherwise you'd be able to see how stunningly obtuse this argument is.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6144|...

Dilbert_X wrote:

Shocking wrote:

Which didn't happen in Bosnia did it?
I don't remember what the UN doctrine during Bosnia stated but I'm sure it didn't include 'protect civs by any means necessary'. I believe it was the faulty doctrine that was partly responsible for Srebrenica.
inane little opines
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Not at all, enforcing a NFZ means exactly that.
In the same way that enforcing the speed limit doesn't mean the Police are entitled to slash your tyres while your car is parked.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6144|...

Dilbert_X wrote:

Not at all, enforcing a NFZ means exactly that.
In the same way that enforcing the speed limit doesn't mean the Police are entitled to slash your tyres while your car is parked.

me wrote:

I already told you, Gadaffi threatened to fight back and you yourself have also seen the news images of air defence firing into the sky. I don't see the problem in disabling this air defence.

How are you going to impose a NFZ if you're not removing that which is threatening its implementation? It's not a 'destroy everything' tactic, that's what you make it out to be.

Your analogy of the russians doesn't make sense in that regard either, I suppose that if the US was threatening to nuke Russia and started flying B-52s in its direction, then yes, I suppose the russians should pre-emptively nuke the US.

me wrote:

me wrote:

I don't remember what the UN doctrine during Bosnia stated but I'm sure it didn't include 'protect civs by any means necessary'. I believe it was the faulty doctrine that was partly responsible for Srebrenica.
So where exactly is your argument?
inane little opines
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Simply:

Enforcing a NFZ does not mean destroying the entire air defense and command/communications network. Just as enforcing a ceasefire and safe zones did not mean destroying every Serbian tank, radio transmitter and command tent.

I'm not talking about the tanks at Benghazi.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6144|...
Yes it does because it posed a threat to the NFZ. If we learned anything from Bosnia it's that you can't wait for the enemy to fire a shot, you already know he's going to.
inane little opines
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5503|London, England

Dilbert_X wrote:

Shocking wrote:

Why? Isn't bombing air defence / radar systems exactly in line with what it means to enforce an NFZ?
According to USAF doctrine yes. Otherwise no.

This pre-emptive self-defense theory doesn't apply in any other sphere, you don't see UN blue helmets taking out every conceivable local threat do you?
Uhh... you sure did pick a retarded thing to get worked up about. What exactly did you think creating a no fly zone meant? It means Combat Air Patrols and we aren't going to sit around with our thumb up our ass letting them take potshots at our planes. No, you bomb the ground defenses. It's normal Dilbert, and you're making yourself look foolish by harping on this in every thread. Taking out air defenses is wholly in the spirit of the resolution. Going beyond that? No.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6556|'Murka

It's not USAF doctrine, Dilbert. It's basic air power doctrine. You'll find it common to any air force that has doctrine.

And check the news feeds on what's been struck. Your characterization of the targeting has gone beyond hyperbole into the realm of the ridiculous. In fact, check on what's been struck over the past 24-48 hours. You should find that the list has dropped off dramatically...showing the hyperbolic nature of your claims (again).
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6294|'straya

FEOS wrote:

It's not USAF doctrine, Dilbert. It's basic air power doctrine. You'll find it common to any air force that has doctrine.

And check the news feeds on what's been struck. Your characterization of the targeting has gone beyond hyperbole into the realm of the ridiculous. In fact, check on what's been struck over the past 24-48 hours. You should find that the list has dropped off dramatically...showing the hyperbolic nature of your claims (again).
This, RAAF doctrine is almost identical in this case, it is a perfectly normal Offensive Counter Air (OCA) operation. It's not like this is some "omgomg Americans are blood thirsty" bullshit.

While an operation more along the lines of DCA or "reactionary" is possible, this allows the enemy complete control over the tempo of operations and time and place of action.

Last edited by Little BaBy JESUS (2011-03-23 21:11:46)

War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6859|Purplicious Wisconsin
Can we just kill Gaddafi and end this fucking war?
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6682|Long Island, New York
War Man, please tell me your thoughts on the military junta in Burma/Myanmar.
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6859|Purplicious Wisconsin
Ain't the US's problem. Libya shouldn't be our problem but has become our problem because we got involved. Honestly we should now just take the shortcut to ending the war and kill Gaddafi so this entire debate can finally end.

Last edited by War Man (2011-03-23 21:47:10)

The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5730

Jay wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Shocking wrote:

Why? Isn't bombing air defence / radar systems exactly in line with what it means to enforce an NFZ?
According to USAF doctrine yes. Otherwise no.

This pre-emptive self-defense theory doesn't apply in any other sphere, you don't see UN blue helmets taking out every conceivable local threat do you?
Uhh... you sure did pick a retarded thing to get worked up about. What exactly did you think creating a no fly zone meant? It means Combat Air Patrols and we aren't going to sit around with our thumb up our ass letting them take potshots at our planes. No, you bomb the ground defenses. It's normal Dilbert, and you're making yourself look foolish by harping on this in every thread. Taking out air defenses is wholly in the spirit of the resolution. Going beyond that? No.
A no fly zone should only be enforced with dog fighting and tom cruise.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6955|Nårvei

War Man wrote:

Ain't the US's problem. Libya shouldn't be our problem but has become our problem because we got involved. Honestly we should now just take the shortcut to ending the war and kill Gaddafi so this entire debate can finally end.
Libya isn't your problem either ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6746|132 and Bush

It struck me today. With the coalitions reasoning and judgement of Mogaf.. Obama might as well be saying to Abraham Lincoln that he has lost his legitimacy to rule. Lincoln did after all suspend the rights of Rebels.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6766|London, England
Are you getting into American Civil War territory there, that just boils down to the fact that Lincoln won. Had he lost, I'm sure he would have lost his legitimacy to rule.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6746|132 and Bush

Yea.. or as Winston Churchhill said, "History is written by the victors".
Xbone Stormsurgezz

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard