FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6409|'Murka

eleven bravo wrote:

thankyou for the lesson professor
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- … 2992_n.jpg
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me.

Some of those are UNSC resolutions. professor.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
eleven bravo
+1,399|5257|foggy bottom
its kind of hard to break a strongly worded letter of condemnation, isnt it mr emeritus?
Tu Stultus Es
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714

FEOS wrote:

SC resolutions are binding. GA resolutions are not.
Pretty much, but no one really wants to enforce it. Lots of resos just condem shit lol.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
FEOS
+1,182|6409|'Murka

eleven bravo wrote:

its kind of hard to break a strongly worded letter of condemnation, isnt it mr emeritus?
You're the one who posed in front of the UN flag and seal and then said those resolutions were non-binding, when clearly many of them were.

Guess you didn't learn much during your photo op?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
eleven bravo
+1,399|5257|foggy bottom

FEOS wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

You're the one who posed in front of the UN flag and seal and then said those resolutions were non-binding, when clearly many of them were.

how the fuck is a a letter of condemnation in any way something that is binding and able to be broken?  dont be a tard

Last edited by eleven bravo (2011-06-04 08:21:50)

Tu Stultus Es
FEOS
+1,182|6409|'Murka

eleven bravo wrote:

FEOS wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

how the fuck is a a letter of condemnation in any way something that is binding and able to be broken?  dont be a tard
I'm sure you meant "don't be stupid." So much more difficult to say and not denigrate innocent people with mental disabilities at the same time, I know.

Not all of those resolutions were letters of condemnation. There's gobs of them. Many of them resolutions telling one party or another to do certain things. Those demands are binding if they come from the SC.

That's all that was being said. Quit being pedantic because you had a picture taken at the UN. I had a picture taken at the Shaolon Temple. It doesn't make me a kung fu master zen Buddhist monk.
― Albert Einstein

eleven bravo
+1,399|5257|foggy bottom
I was in model un for 7 months just recently.  Dont patronize me with your "photo op" comment and your "SC resolutions are binding blah blah blah"  I know this fact very well.  18 hour days of mock session taught me. Dude, youve really turned into an asshole.
Tu Stultus Es
eleven bravo
+1,399|5257|foggy bottom
are you going to tell me about IEDs and how to react to an ambush next?
Tu Stultus Es
FEOS
+1,182|6409|'Murka

eleven bravo wrote:

I was in model un for 7 months just recently.  Dont patronize me with your "photo op" comment and your "SC resolutions are binding blah blah blah"  I know this fact very well.  18 hour days of mock session taught me. Dude, youve really turned into an asshole.
Oooh! Mock UN. Sooo impressive.

Pot. Kettle.

If you know the fact so well, then why di you make such a patently ridiculous statement? All you had to do was do a brief search on the resolutions in question to see whethe they were GA or SC resolutions and what the nature of them was. But you did the Model UN. You know everything about the UN because you fucking played house.

Get the fuck over yourself and bring some actual intellectualism.
― Albert Einstein

eleven bravo
+1,399|5257|foggy bottom

FEOS wrote:

sad that this is the place you go for that

youve got the same responses to everything.  its either "funny coming from you" or "pot kettle black" or "dont let facts get in the way with opinion"

show some range dude.

Last edited by eleven bravo (2011-06-04 18:46:46)

Tu Stultus Es
FEOS
+1,182|6409|'Murka

eleven bravo wrote:

FEOS wrote:

sad that this is the place you go for that

youve got the same responses to everything.  its either "funny coming from you" or "pot kettle black" or "dont let facts get in the way with opinion"

show some range dude.
Sorry you feel that way.

Don't need range when you keep coming with the same nonsense.

You tried to shut it down with some model UN BS...ignoring the fact that you got the whole "non-binding" thing wrong. Meaningless and non-binding are not the same thing. All I did was point out that many, if not most, of those resolutions were, in fact binding. And you respond in typical fashion, both here and in karma. And then you have the stones to call me an asshole. When all I did was correct a glaring error.

Whatever. Go back to remedial model UN, I guess.
― Albert Einstein

Sturgeon
+488|4939|Flintshire

Cybargs wrote:

FEOS wrote:

SC resolutions are binding. GA resolutions are not.
Pretty much, but no one really wants to enforce it. Lots of resos just condem shit lol.
Pretty much lowing
https://bf3s.com/sigs/3dda27c6d0d9b22836605b152b9d214b99507f91.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX
But for the US veto, many of those resolutions would have been binding.

Anyone know why Israel is shooting dead unarmed protesters in Syria?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714

Dilbert_X wrote:

anyone know why sudan is still allowed to commit genocide? man you bitch about israel way way too much.

SC resolutions are only debated if they are brought up by the P5 members and P5 members can strike an issue coming to the floor.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6773|Moscow, Russia

Dilbert_X wrote:

you know, without the veto usa & co would simply buy any unsc resolution they wanted. pure democracy is so easy to abuse it doesn't even work on national level - bringing it on international scene would be total disaster.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714

Shahter wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

you know, without the veto usa & co would simply buy any unsc resolution they wanted. pure democracy is so easy to abuse it doesn't even work on national level - bringing it on international scene would be total disaster.
USSR used to veto lots of shit back in the day. Right now it's China vetoing lots of shit. You can veto clauses in a resolution as well.
FEOS
+1,182|6409|'Murka

Cybargs wrote:

Shahter wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

USSR used to veto lots of shit back in the day. Right now it's China vetoing lots of shit. You can veto clauses in a resolution as well.
True. Hence why reform is needed in UN processes, starting with elimination of the UNSC veto.
― Albert Einstein

Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6773|Moscow, Russia

Cybargs wrote:

Shahter wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

read the post, kiddo. carefully.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6773|Moscow, Russia

FEOS wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Shahter wrote:

True. Hence why reform is needed in UN processes, starting with elimination of the UNSC veto.
... after which usa & co will buy un out completely. are you nuts?
FEOS
+1,182|6409|'Murka

Shahter wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Yeah. It's nuts to actually have diplomacy work someplace instead of vetoes left and right.
― Albert Einstein

Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6773|Moscow, Russia

FEOS wrote:

Shahter wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Yeah. It's nuts to actually have diplomacy work someplace instead of vetoes left and right.
diplomacy doesn't really work when one party has the other by the balls.
FEOS
+1,182|6409|'Murka

Shahter wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Shahter wrote:

FFS, Shahter. Think about it. Remove the veto, then you don't have that situation. The great powers have to work with the others on the SC to get the necessary votes to get their agenda(s) passed, and vice versa. Right now, all they have to do is sit back and say, "Give me what I want, or I'll veto your shit."
― Albert Einstein

Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6773|Moscow, Russia

FEOS wrote:

Shahter wrote:

FEOS wrote:

FFS, Shahter. Think about it. Remove the veto, then you don't have that situation. The great powers have to work with the others on the SC to get the necessary votes to get their agenda(s) passed, and vice versa.
when one side has ten times as many cards to play in the game as all the others combined, the outcome would be quite predictable.

Right now, all they have to do is sit back and say, "Give me what I want, or I'll veto your shit."
i never said i approve of the way it is now. un's been a joke ever since there was no ussr to counter-balance usa & co in it. i dunno, maybe china will take that place in the future, but right now removing the veto would immediately render un completely pointless.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX
Diplomacy is just a form of carrot+stick.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
FEOS
+1,182|6409|'Murka

Shahter wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Shahter wrote:

FFS, Shahter. Think about it. Remove the veto, then you don't have that situation. The great powers have to work with the others on the SC to get the necessary votes to get their agenda(s) passed, and vice versa.
when one side has ten times as many cards to play in the game as all the others combined, the outcome would be quite predictable.

Right now, all they have to do is sit back and say, "Give me what I want, or I'll veto your shit."
i never said i approve of the way it is now. un's been a joke ever since there was no ussr to counter-balance usa & co in it. i dunno, maybe china will take that place in the future, but right now removing the veto would immediately render un completely pointless.
The veto is what makes the UN completely pointless, as it is. Removing it would actually force real diplomacy to occur--the entire point of the UN to begin with.

The other aspect of the UN that makes it relatively pointless is that nations cannot be expected to subjugate their own interests to some amorphous collective's interests, which may or may not match their own--which is exactly what the UN expects its members to do. As long as a UN initiative or resolution matches a given country's interests, it will back it. If it doesn't, it won't. If the majority goes with it, the countries that voted against it will just ignore it, as there is (normally) no enforcement mechanism, since the UN doesn't normally practice coercive diplomacy. And the UN has no real resources, so there's no carrot-stick diplomacy, either. All the UN can do is say, "It would be really great if you did something that you don't want to do."

Works out really well.

That's why the individual countries involved--particularly the great powers--need to have the cushion of the veto removed. Then they have to perform more real diplomacy. Only they have the resources to actually make things happen (unlike the UN).
― Albert Einstein

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard