globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6324|Graz, Austria
Wiimote Plus controllers (or Wiimotes with the Motion Plus attachment) are fully compatible with the Wii U.
Wii Balance board too.
Most Wii games will play on the Wii U also.

I recently have picked up playing Mario Kart Wii again, since my kids can actually play it with the wheel and the Wiimote.
Quite annoying to see 480p resolution on a 42" 1080p screen.
So, I actually would like to have a Wii U, for the better resolution alone.

On the other hand, I'm a PC gamer and have never bought a console in my life.
I got my PS2 from a friend for free and won a Wii package for drinking canned iced coffee.
(Granted, I bought a second controller and Motion Plus attachement, as well as some WiiWare games.)

Last edited by globefish23 (2012-11-28 01:06:11)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

I suppose if the Wii ever stops working I might upgrade, but I can't ever imagine it breaking. I play the thing a fraction of what I used to play NES/SNES.
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6692|Devon, England
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Well fuck, I probably paid almost $200 for all that combined when they came out. Freaking pauper company now.
FFLink
There is.
I'm just glad DoW isn't on it.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Played some Sword of the Stars 2. It crashed when I was moving ships from reserves to a new fleet after 15 minutes of play. As much as I like Paradox as a company, their games can be the buggiest things ever, and their forums get all butthurt if you point it out or ask for a solution.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Steam now takes 30-120 more seconds to launch. Well-played, Valve.

E: WHAT THE FUCK?! Now it's redownloading like 20 games. I don't remember taking Skyrim off. Why do I need to download all its shit again?
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5965|London, England

unn did you get fc3
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Mutantbear wrote:

unn did you get fc3
Yup. Time to google search I guess.
Mutantbear

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Mutantbear wrote:

unn did you get fc3
Yup. Time to google search I guess.
what do you mean

oh you posted right before me. my question was unrelated to yours although I did have a problem earlier in the week where it wouldnt log into steam for some reason so I resinstalled it and saved my games folder but when i put it back i had to redownload all my games for some reason

Last edited by Mutantbear (2012-12-04 14:34:36)

_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Oh, lol. I thought you meant there was some connection between FC3 and Steam fucking up the way I described. Turns out this is probably unrelated. There's like three dozen games on my download list that just need game content conversion. Glad I don't have to download 100GB of new stuff.

It's an annoying process because I have to click each one manually. Could be they've been there for awhile though, and some new steam update decided to simply give you the option to find out which ones you need from the downloads menu. Way to ambush us users, though.

But yeah, I got FC3. Pre-loaded and all that. Looking forward to playing.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

...and it fucking crashed when I tried to run two content conversions at once. I miss 2005 steam when it actually fucking worked half the time.
Mutantbear

the content conversions didnt work for me

it just wanted to redownload the whole thing for some reason so I just have a bunch of games "paused"
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Little bit of an update: one worked for me. The rest just want to reinstall the entire fucking game. I sure hope my Skyrim saves aren't fucked.
Mutantbear

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Little bit of an update: one worked for me. The rest just want to reinstall the entire fucking game. I sure hope my Skyrim saves aren't fucked.
thats what happened to me

steams gud program
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6718|Riva, MD
In case anybody is wondering what those content updates bring advantage-wise:

Some dude on the Steam forums wrote:

http://store.steampowered.com/news/5856/

I'll have a go on some of the ins and outs.

It is an entirely new way for Steam to deal with managing and downloading content; everything is brand-new, from the way Steam deals with content metadata, to the server code, to the client code, to the way you publish content to it, which sort of makes deciding where to start sorta tricky. It modernises the heck out of the whole system.

In no particular order:
  • HTTP-based, which means it is easily cacheable by your ISP, and makes it possible to rent in 3rd party CDN capacity
  • 3rd party CDN capacity means better response at peak times
  • Delta-patching (only changes to files are downloaded, not whole changed files)
  • Queuing functionality (it will update one game at a time, in sequence)
  • New publishing tools (3rd party devs can publish updates right to the content servers, no need to send it to Valve)
  • In some ways actually less complex than the old system; needs to touch disk a lot less for routine tasks, so it'll boost Steam client performance
  • Games can now have individual beta branches, no more setting a global client setting to get into a game beta (like the Skyrim patch betas)
It's pretty good stuff all round. The third-party CDN bit is really cool, IMHO. Recently during the sale they've set it so that new content system downloads don't use the content servers at all, they're solely being served by the Limelight and Highwinds CDNs. This takes load off the content servers so that they can dedicate their bandwidth to old content system games. The other really major plus is that it'll allow them to finally get rid of some of the oldest code that remains in Steam. For instance, the majority of the data in the clientregistry.blob file is the CDR, or CDDB, which is a metadata listing of every piece of content on Steam. That system's being replaced, so that data'll go; the file will shrink from 3 MB down to around 40 kB, or even less as that file's used for fewer and fewer things.
tl;dr version mixed with other information I've gathered on it:
  • Faster download speeds in general
  • Faster, more stable download speeds during high server usage such as new game releases
  • Faster Steam performance(I noticed Skyrim loaded almost instantly and I haven't even played it in ages)
  • Smaller, faster-downloading patches that come directly from the developer rather than having to go through Valve first and can also be downloaded while you're playing and then applied after you're done(last part is coming later)
  • Ability to decide an order for games to download rather than having a clusterfuck of simultaneous slow-downloading games fighting over bandwidth(coming later)
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Except with every update, steam's loaded more slowly for me.
FFLink
There is.
It's a shame it's necessary for the PC gamer. I've never liked it.

It doesn't seem like it gets nearly as much support as it needs, considered it's used by almost every PC gamer.

Why doesn't it have chat logs yet? Or the ability to save games on to a separate hard drive (Outside of beta)? I have to use 3rd party tools to do this (too lazy to use CMD). And every now and then it will tell me I can't play my own damn games for no reason.

But, like I said. It's necessary and they know it, so why should they do more to it?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

No chat logs, no notes on users, mouse-over player-specified nicks for friends (for buddies who like to change their names a lot), no permanent game sorting (player-created categories randomly disappear), no auto-sort by category or company, slow, inefficient, what used to be a blunt interface now rapidly becoming as warty and tumor-ridden as GFWL...and the best part is, it's attached to a shit load of PC games. Old functions no longer work as well as they used to and new functions hardly work at all. Years old grips are ignored in favor of updating with shit nobody's asked for. GG, Steam, I love ya but you suck the big one.
FFLink
There is.
Oh fuck, the whole disappearing Recent Games list pisses me off. I don't want to open the damn window to play games I play often, I just wanna right click a chat box or Systray icon and use that, how it was designed to work. Also, for all the power is seems to need, it's painfully slow.

I have plenty of RAM, so this isn't an issue personally, but closing the main Steam window cuts the processing memory usage from almost 160k to 10k. My Chrome with a whole load of tabs is only just as much as that.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6668

FFLink wrote:

Or the ability to save games on to a separate hard drive (Outside of beta)?
????  Steam?  Just a few days ago, It asked me where I wanted to install Castle Crashers, giving me a choice over all my drives and directory even.

Also, the update last night for me went smoothly, albeit 10-15 minutes.  Nothing sluggish.  Everything as usual.  But then again, I'm rolling with 16GB and SSD.
UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5037|Massachusetts, USA
I never have an issue with steam. Am i doing something wrong?
Email ur reply back asap.
If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.
FFLink
There is.

Ilocano wrote:

FFLink wrote:

Or the ability to save games on to a separate hard drive (Outside of beta)?
????  Steam?  Just a few days ago, It asked me where I wanted to install Castle Crashers, giving me a choice over all my drives and directory even.

Also, the update last night for me went smoothly, albeit 10-15 minutes.  Nothing sluggish.  Everything as usual.  But then again, I'm rolling with 16GB and SSD.
If it's in the latest release, then ignore that point. Still, it's a few years late.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6718|Riva, MD
Just used that same feature and pointed Steam in the direction of my E: drive(from Windows 8) which had Shogun 2 on it and pretended like I was going to install it there and then it picked it right up and synced it.  Awesome

Also synced all the other games I had installed on the E: drive

Last edited by _j5689_ (2012-12-05 13:53:36)

Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6668

_j5689_ wrote:

Just used that same feature and pointed Steam in the direction of my E: drive(from Windows 8) which had Shogun 2 on it and pretended like I was going to install it there and then it picked it right up and synced it.  Awesome

Also synced all the other games I had installed on the E: drive
Sweet.  Time to move all those non-SSD sensitive apps to the WD Black and Raptor drives.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard