Announcement

Join us on Discord: https://discord.gg/nf43FxS
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,953|5945|USA

Recommended comparison. Very fair, scathing.

DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+773|5858|United States of America
Got into the RDR2 epilogue at long last and it's kinda a stinker that you unlock the last region (where most of RDR1 was played, apparently) and there's very few missions actually located in there. I never played the prequel, so I'm sure there's just nostalgia for those people, but it feels like a lot of wasted potential. Kind of a bummer.
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,953|5945|USA

Zomboid news:

Project Zomboid 2022 Roadmap Details Rimworld-like Systems
https://www.gamespot.com/amp-articles/p … 0-6499440/

NPCs will be coming to Project Zomboid in 2022, alongside balance updates, an expansion to the tech tree, and more.
The team at The Indie Stone has outlined its 2022 roadmap for Project Zomboid, which will potentially include the introduction of NPCs into the game.

Project Zomboid has exploded in popularity recently with the recent release of build 41 of the game. And The Indie Stone doesn't seem to plan on slowing down any time soon, as its 2022 roadmap for the game goes all the way up to build 48. However, the roadmap only details what players can expect from the next two builds, build 42 and 43.

The team is currently working on polishing up build 41 at the moment, which was a huge undertaking. Build 42 will primarily focus on two things. Firstly, The Indie Stone is going to look at balancing various aspects of the game, with a big focus on traits, professions, and skills. Tweaking the numbers for those aspects of the game will help make more builds viable.

The second part of build 42 is the expansion of the tech tree. This is to improve the multiplayer experience, so servers are less pressured to wipe or have loot respawning. The Indie Stone also plans to introduce crafting surfaces. There will be certain recipes that will require a specific table or piece of equipment, to add an extra level to the crafting.

Build 43 is where The Indie Stone plans to introduce NPCs, in whatever form that might take. The post notes that it hasn't decided on what kind of NPCs it wants to add to the game just yet. Earlier builds did include animal NPCs, but its aware that fans want human NPCs added into the game. The Indie Stone do also say that it has a Rimworld-like priority and jobs system planned, as well as personality systems, procedural storytelling systems, vehicle driving systems, and more planned too. Builds 44 through 48 also seem to focus on NPCs.

The Indie Stone also made a point that if it isn't confident in a particular aspect of what it's working on, it won't ship with the latest build until it's ready. No specific dates were given for when we can expect any of the builds, only that the next set of builds will be coming in 2022.

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+529|2893
I promise I will give it another shot someday.

The Venom vs Carnage movie brought back this Sega memory.

And then

Games were so hard back then.

The soundtrack from this game is a banger
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+529|2893
I am achievement hunting as Great Britain. Built quite an empire. Restored the monarchy and then conquered France, Italy, and India. Puppeted Canada and New Zealand.
https://i.redd.it/e19tw2h0tya81.jpg
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/19536820/masterplan.gif
Puppet South Africa and Australia and then start the imperial federation thereby giving me cores on Canada, New Zealand, India, South Africa, and Australia. Conquer the U.S. too since it is possible to get cores on the U.S. if you give the land to Canada before doing the imperial conference.

Hopefully Japan doesn't screw things up for me by starting a war. Even though I am part of the Axis, I plan to leave it and invade Germany once they are overstretched into the Soviet Union though I can see the Soviets stomping then since Italy is now a part of me.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
Member
+441|2625
that map brings a tear to my eye. oh why did we ever give it all back ...
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,953|5945|USA

Game is great fun for coloring in the map. My criticism of the HoI franchise is it gets a little bulky and cumbersome, starting out rather bare bones and then filling it out with DLC years apart that don't always contribute in ways that make sense. The spy network stuff especially.

It could also do a bit of a better job with construction planning, and weird UI lags.

There are mods that fix a lot of the annoyances though. I particularly like the one that expands slots for support companies, the one that adds more flex to ship refitting, and the one that lets you invest more points into stuff like tanks and planes to improve reliability (useful when you run out of new stuff to research, though the game isn't meant to last into modern times).
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,953|5945|USA

I'll add that mac says he plays in ironman mode mostly, so mods are out.
uziq
Member
+441|2625
i go through phases of wanting to learn a really deep game like that, or of throwing a bunch of time into a super-deep nerd MMO like EVE, but then i realize i could read one of the world's great works of literature or learn half a language in that time. ain't nobody got time to be learning 150 League of Legend heroes or whatever the fuck.
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,953|5945|USA

I think the most fitting word I can associate with HoI4 is "flawed." To someone on the fence about these sort of games, not recommended. If anything, pick yourself up a copy of Victoria II. Easier to digest than HoI or Crusader Kings. Side note, Vicky 3 is out in 2022(?), but 2 should suffice for a few weekends of map nerdery.
uziq
Member
+441|2625
i actually really like reading about these games or watching youtube videos occasionally, when the mood takes me. deep strategy games or massive emergent clusterfucks like EVE especially. playing them for 1000s of hours myself, not so much. it's probably my loss. i haven't enjoyed a (new) videogame in years.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+529|2893

uziq wrote:

i go through phases of wanting to learn a really deep game like that, or of throwing a bunch of time into a super-deep nerd MMO like EVE, but then i realize i could read one of the world's great works of literature or learn half a language in that time. ain't nobody got time to be learning 150 League of Legend heroes or whatever the fuck.
I read too. I don't watch television at all. While playing the game and moving numbers around a map, I will have a politics podcast or something informative running. A debate or lecture too. I don't watch video game livestreams. Yuck. That is worse than television.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,953|5945|USA

You know what, I get it. I use Youtube to skip hours of gameplay, aggravation, and video game cost. Funny Mario Maker 2 troll level, 10 minute video vs. 6 hours of my own suffering. Watch an EVE mega-battle without the time investment of participating in an MMO. Star Citizen updates. Arma 3 mods. CK and Stellaris matches, Cities Skylines "fix your town," Sims 4 architecture, Satisfactory mega-builds. Even a World of Tanks replay every now and then to reinforce my decision to quit that. I have things to do.

Some of the Warhammer 40k youtubers were fun for awhile until Games Workshop stepped in and said no to a chunk of it. Like bruh, I wouldn't be remotely familiar with any of your horrid lore without the shitposting and Dawn of War memes.

V2 is about as close as any of those Paradox gutbusters are to being roughly accessible with a short learning process, though I suppose even its UI should be rather cluttered up by now. Clicking on an army and telling them to go somewhere vs. shuffling a bunch of generals under a field marshal and drawing up a bunch of lines, war plans, and contingencies.

You seemed to like RDR2, although that's a few years old now I guess.
uziq
Member
+441|2625

SuperJail Warden wrote:

uziq wrote:

i go through phases of wanting to learn a really deep game like that, or of throwing a bunch of time into a super-deep nerd MMO like EVE, but then i realize i could read one of the world's great works of literature or learn half a language in that time. ain't nobody got time to be learning 150 League of Legend heroes or whatever the fuck.
I read too. I don't watch television at all. While playing the game and moving numbers around a map, I will have a politics podcast or something informative running. A debate or lecture too. I don't watch video game livestreams. Yuck. That is worse than television.
i don't mean livestreams. i mean people who break down some huge and slow-unfolding EVE online drama, which took months of gestation and inter-corporate intrigues or social dramaz, into a 15 minute youtube summary or something. it makes the game world seem engaging and fun. obviously you don't have to sit there mining space rocks or doing repetitive tasks for 250 hours that way to experience the creme-de-la-creme, so to speak, of what the game has to offer.

never watched or been interested in videogame streaming or twitch culture. in fact, that's the point when i properly began to feel alienated from what gaming had 'become'. most people seemed more interested in being passive spectators and watching other nerds play than in playing and organizing their own shit. i came up in a generation of gamers who formed their own clans, ran their own mIRC channels/xfire groups, frequented the same community servers (with other regulars), marshalled their own community-based leagues and ladders, etc. who the fuck wants to watch someone else play a game which they're only playing due to corporate sponsorship or $$$, and just as likely hate, anyway?

Last edited by uziq (2022-01-11 09:05:52)

uziq
Member
+441|2625
You seemed to like RDR2, although that's a few years old now I guess.
neat cinematic experience and my first time playing a game of that graphics generation. played it on a giant 35-inch ultra-widescreen curved monitor. it was immersive and fun, yep. i can probably name the number of single-player story/campaign games i've enjoyed on both hands.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+529|2893

uziq wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

uziq wrote:

i go through phases of wanting to learn a really deep game like that, or of throwing a bunch of time into a super-deep nerd MMO like EVE, but then i realize i could read one of the world's great works of literature or learn half a language in that time. ain't nobody got time to be learning 150 League of Legend heroes or whatever the fuck.
I read too. I don't watch television at all. While playing the game and moving numbers around a map, I will have a politics podcast or something informative running. A debate or lecture too. I don't watch video game livestreams. Yuck. That is worse than television.
i don't mean livestreams. i mean people who break down some huge and slow-unfolding EVE online drama, which took months of gestation and inter-corporate intrigues or social dramaz, into a 15 minute youtube summary or something. it makes the game world seem engaging and fun. obviously you don't have to sit there mining space rocks or doing repetitive tasks for 250 hours that way to experience the creme-de-la-creme, so to speak, of what the game has to offer.

never watched or been interested in videogame streaming or twitch culture. in fact, that's the point when i properly began to feel alienated from what gaming had 'become'. most people seemed more interested in being passive spectators and watching other nerds play than in playing and organizing their own shit. i came up in a generation of gamers who formed their own clans, ran their own mIRC channels/xfire groups, frequented the same community servers (with other regulars), marshalled their own community-based leagues and ladders, etc. who the fuck wants to watch someone else play a game which they're only playing due to corporate sponsorship or $$$, and just as likely hate, anyway?
Streamers are often pig people too. Probably worse than Hollywood. In Hollywood you need to be out there actually interacting with all sorts of people. Most Hollywood people run the gauntlet of small time productions/high school and college stuff before they make it big. A lot of steamers are in a cocoon of misery and internet drama. Eventually that stuff warps your mind. The comparatively small margins doesn't help.

Instagram influencers don't bother me. Most of the people angry at them are just jealous because the only people liking their post are their grandparents.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,953|5945|USA

Streaming is hugely varied in personality or sponsorships. Some of the ones I've seen do so almost in spite of the game company, and without the pewdiepie voice or "itsyaboi back with another video" garbo that some of the minecraft stuff evolved into. Though obviously, I would prefer to watch 20 minutes of highlights on youtube over a super long stream.

Gaming audiences aren't exactly new, just beyond the living room now.

"State of the game" fare or server dramas, obviously their own flavor.

Mentioned before, the Freeman's Mind guy does a lot of interesting retrospectives on older games and vlogging, and has been for years. Very vocal about stuff so you can put most of it in a background window while doing other things.



The dead game stuff is one of his saws. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YciQn3gFwvM

"Pay once, play forever," lol.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,721|5910|Oxferd Ohire
40k lore isn't any worse than other big franchises. Some is good, some is bad, a lot is average. Do not pay attention to the YouTube scene much but the Astartes creator gets a lot from patreon. GW went a bit too far but you have lots of people making money off their characters without paying for the IP.


That said I do watch games on YouTube occasionally. Usually games I've played and have the urge to revisit. Like the old James Bond games a month ago. I get the sights and sounds but none of the annoyance setting up an emulator to play a game that aged poorly for 2hrs.

Also watch to see if I might like a game that doesnt have a demo. Live streams are bearable enough.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
uziq
Member
+441|2625

SuperJail Warden wrote:

uziq wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I read too. I don't watch television at all. While playing the game and moving numbers around a map, I will have a politics podcast or something informative running. A debate or lecture too. I don't watch video game livestreams. Yuck. That is worse than television.
i don't mean livestreams. i mean people who break down some huge and slow-unfolding EVE online drama, which took months of gestation and inter-corporate intrigues or social dramaz, into a 15 minute youtube summary or something. it makes the game world seem engaging and fun. obviously you don't have to sit there mining space rocks or doing repetitive tasks for 250 hours that way to experience the creme-de-la-creme, so to speak, of what the game has to offer.

never watched or been interested in videogame streaming or twitch culture. in fact, that's the point when i properly began to feel alienated from what gaming had 'become'. most people seemed more interested in being passive spectators and watching other nerds play than in playing and organizing their own shit. i came up in a generation of gamers who formed their own clans, ran their own mIRC channels/xfire groups, frequented the same community servers (with other regulars), marshalled their own community-based leagues and ladders, etc. who the fuck wants to watch someone else play a game which they're only playing due to corporate sponsorship or $$$, and just as likely hate, anyway?
Streamers are often pig people too. Probably worse than Hollywood. In Hollywood you need to be out there actually interacting with all sorts of people. Most Hollywood people run the gauntlet of small time productions/high school and college stuff before they make it big. A lot of steamers are in a cocoon of misery and internet drama. Eventually that stuff warps your mind. The comparatively small margins doesn't help.

Instagram influencers don't bother me. Most of the people angry at them are just jealous because the only people liking their post are their grandparents.
agree basically with both of your points.

i used to feel somewhat envious that 'e-sports' got so big 1-2 generations after me, when professional leagues and prize pots were really taking off. when i used to game for high-level teams, about the best prize or sponsorship you could hope for at a LAN was a free GPU or GPU/CPU bundle. the stakes were almost laughably low - none of the big tech brands even took it seriously, evidently, or saw it as much of an opportunity - but it kept its semi-amateurish, 'for the love' kind of enthusiasm. nowadays a shut-in teenager can become a millionaire or a public figure with hordes of fans by ... being toxic in his parents' basement. cool i guess? i've seen way too many stories of 'famous' youtubers/twitchers go off the deep end and become depressed, fat, entitled, whiny pieces of shit. 'warped minds' is about right.

i don't really have a problem with instagram influencers, beyond the more obvious examples of airheads who fuck up things for everyone else. i can't say i understand their lives - i don't know what they do or why, really, anyone would ever fucking aspire to that extremely vapid lifestyle - but it's mostly harmless. insta influencers are just the latest and greatest instantiation of the advertising culture that has been all-pervasive in our societies since whatever. so meh.

korea is fucking insane for it. the sheer number of mid-tier influencers with 25k-250k followers or whatever who just while away all of their days gliding from one coffee shop to one fashion boutique to one hyatt hotel suite to one beach etc etc to take the same fucking photographs, over and over, is honestly astonishing. they're all perfectly dressed, perfectly manicured and cosmeticized, etc, because they're all aspiring for the same free swag from Aesop or YSL or whatever other luxury boutique brand. everyone chasing the same fake-aspirational, photoshopped lifestyle ... everyone surely knowing, from the inside, that it's all a fake confection and an illusion ... i can't wrap my head around it.

an interesting safari, anyway. on balance i would rather be an insta influencer, that's for sure. streaming nerds get nothing to show for it except hideously decorated apartments/houses full of 'merchandise/collectibles' shelves, rally car gam0r seats, and LED backlighting. gross.

Last edited by uziq (2022-01-11 09:49:18)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+529|2893
Streaming/Instagram influencing reminds me a lot of working on cars. When you work on cars you get paid depending on how much work you do. Hated that system. Constant worrying about "making your time". Internet content creators are under the same pressure to "make their time". No matter how much I bitch about my job I will never not be happy with being salaried.

That is probably why a lot of tradespeople and internet content creators snap. It's a hard lifestyle always having to hustle. I genuinely pity tradespeople but then again they are my culture war enemy or something like that.
https://pics.me.me/if-your-boyfriends-hands-never-look-like-this-than-you-3712746.png
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,953|5945|USA

RTHKI wrote:

40k lore isn't any worse than other big franchises. Some is good, some is bad, a lot is average. Do not pay attention to the YouTube scene much but the Astartes creator gets a lot from patreon. GW went a bit too far but you have lots of people making money off their characters without paying for the IP.


That said I do watch games on YouTube occasionally. Usually games I've played and have the urge to revisit. Like the old James Bond games a month ago. I get the sights and sounds but none of the annoyance setting up an emulator to play a game that aged poorly for 2hrs.

Also watch to see if I might like a game that doesnt have a demo. Live streams are bearable enough.
40k lore is voluminous, I'll give it that. Hit and miss with the novels.

You gotta protect your IP sure, but GW really went about it the wrong way. Uncommunicative outside of hostility, exploiting youtube's blind cooperation, and possessive towards the direction other people's projects were going. Alfabusa's team has TTS on a permanent backburner because of it. One of the things that kept me updated on stuff post decent-videogames, and quite self-aware of the nerdiness of it all. Warhammer+ I guess is just kind of sad and deflated.

You'd have an easier time being a Star Wars youtuber.
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,953|5945|USA

There's a lot of wide brush being applied to streamers here, in 2022. There's a lot of very normal looking backdrops on some of the gaming channels with 250k subs, even run by people with other jobs besides just that. In place of rows of macbeth figurines and magic cards: a cat comes over to say hi, or a dog naps on the couch. Plain, black mechanical keyboard and a mouse with an ergonomic shape. I don't think I've seen an RGB anything on any of the videos I've watched in awhile. Figurines have mostly moved on to anime channels I guess.

GaMeR gUrL steroeotype: low cut shirts and bathwater automatically entering the minds of people. Actual video: rather tamely explaining some obscure exploit in the Sims editor or showcasing game mods.

Streamer stereotype: RGB like it's 2008, posters, and a billion voltrons on overstuffed shelves. Streamer: cat tree against white wall, speaks as they would to adults.

I agree with mac that streaming as a job would probably become a bit of a curse. Imagine having an audience of 8,000 internet trolls heckle your every move. A source of entertainment turned into a job grind. Obligated to look over every now and then to acknowledge $2 donations. Beholden to the fickleness of whatever service you're streaming on.

e: Usually for live streams on the rare occasion I use twitch for something other than redeeming 'free' stuff, I've popped in on the twitch channels of people I've actually gamed with. Catch most of the rest in condensed form.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-01-11 11:37:16)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+529|2893

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I am achievement hunting as Great Britain. Built quite an empire. Restored the monarchy and then conquered France, Italy, and India. Puppeted Canada and New Zealand.
https://i.redd.it/e19tw2h0tya81.jpg
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/19536820/masterplan.gif
Puppet South Africa and Australia and then start the imperial federation thereby giving me cores on Canada, New Zealand, India, South Africa, and Australia. Conquer the U.S. too since it is possible to get cores on the U.S. if you give the land to Canada before doing the imperial conference.

Hopefully Japan doesn't screw things up for me by starting a war. Even though I am part of the Axis, I plan to leave it and invade Germany once they are overstretched into the Soviet Union though I can see the Soviets stomping then since Italy is now a part of me.
I will post some screenshots tonight.

The year is now 1943.

The British Empire invaded the United States from Canada. Army Group East Coast was very successful. They snaked down the east coast to Florida, taking major cities and encircling divisions. They then pushed into Texas for the oil and then north into the Great Plains. They linked up with the failed Army Group West Coast. Army Group West Coast for some reason didn't get it together and their invasion stalled. They then started getting encircled by American divisions from Alaska. Many escaped to link up with Army Group East Coast. The U.S. then capitulated. Unfortunately that wasn't the end of the British invasion of America. Australia entered the war and I needed to invade them in order to enter the peace conference. This was complicated by the Japanese declaration of war against the U.S. and me.

I couldn't make it past the Japanese Navy in order to naval invade Australia. Japan did the invasion instead but was terrible at figuring out how to get to the victory points. So I needed to do something while building up my Navy to confront Japan.

Meanwhile in Europe...

Nazi Germany, my ally, invades the Soviet Union. They pretty much make it to where they did originally but stalled. I decided to join that war in order to be able to get full German support against Japan through Russia's old territory. I created a large army of cavalry, and moved my planes to Russia to help the invasion.

I wasn't paying attention though and something happened in the U.S. Somehow America got back into the mainland and recaptured half the country. I then needed to put down a huge American uprising. While finishing up the American uprising, Japan finishes their invasion of Australia and will go to peace conference. I get all of the U.S. territory and a lot more.

After the U.S. surrendered, I took a decision to create a super state of Canada and America that gave Canada cores on the U.S. I could then fully turn my attention to the Soviet Union and Japan.

I need to go talk to some teens about Imperial Japan so I will update later.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+529|2893
I am giving up on this playthrough. I am done fighting the game's design flaws.
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1847039328577684047/EBA1F01151C92643EB030ACF72C815778DB2B9F3/?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false
The event that forces Japan to surrender if you nuke them didn't work. Then I managed to actually invade and capitulate them but now the game wants me to make their puppets in East Asia surrender too before I could go to peace conference. The worst part is that one of my puppets went communist which locked me out of an achievement I am going for which I was already locked out of because of Japan not surrendering twice. I managed to use an exploit to get them away from communism but I am not doing that again since they will turn communist before I manage to conquer East Asia.

So I am done. I am uninstalling. I need to do some IRL grind the new few weeks anyway.

At least I got two shiny achievements.
https://i.imgur.com/no9kGqz.png
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HappyPettyIchidna-size_restricted.gif
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,953|5945|USA

luh-mao, did you recrown Edward VIII at gunpoint? Does he get to (stay married) to Wallis Simpson?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2022 Jeff Minard