unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

well, cyberpunk's here. buy on steam, 30%(?) goes to steam. buy on gog, 100% goes to cdpr. it feels like everyone and their mother has been making me aware of this today, but i don't know what my motive should be to buy this at $60. devs said don't pre-order. i guess you don't get anything extra, so why should i early adopt?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

well, cyberpunk's here. buy on steam, 30%(?) goes to steam. buy on gog, 100% goes to cdpr. it feels like everyone and their mother has been making me aware of this today, but i don't know what my motive should be to buy this at $60. devs said don't pre-order. i guess you don't get anything extra, so why should i early adopt?
Highlighted = \_/ The care cup is empty. That sounds like CDPR's problem and not a Macbeth and Newbie problem.

Early reviews on steam: All meme reviews left by people who cannot even buy liquor in a store. The one bad review was what I predicted would happen.
https://i.imgur.com/9NZMwmX.png
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6289|Washington St.
r/patientgamers

I'll get it in a year or two when it's $20 and polished
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

If a game wants to be loaded with day 1 mtx, I'd hope it's free to play. But yes, I'll buy it when i have a new computer to play it on, and when it's on deep discount.

I think if people are surprised a game has issues on launch these days, they haven't been paying attention.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
Last I checked the reviews were "mostly positive" on steam. A lot of complaints regarding performance. I think what will happen will be the game will get eviscerated online for its problems but eventually once they manage to get the performance issues under control people will convince themselves the game doesn't suck.
uziq
+492|3450
i'm still playing red dead redemption 2 and getting a few hours of enjoyment out of it per week. in no hurry to check out cyberpunk.
Larssen
+99|1886
RDR2 takes forever, I finished the main storyline which took ages, still had like 40-50% or so of the game left to play but quit at that point. Incredible game though.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

hmm, maybe i will pick up RDR2 for Xbone. I've been needing a new game ever since i stopped playing Madden. My QB went into early retirement because i couldn't force a trade to my team

Any other games for xbox i should check out?
Larssen
+99|1886
imho it's one of the greatest games of the decade so can't go wrong there. Be careful you don't get too hooked though.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6683|United States of America
BF2s RDR2 posse gonna happen!
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6735|Oxferd Ohire
Does anyone play online?

It's on my wishlist but waiting till I have more space and a sale. They got enough money from me buying gtav on 3 times

Actually started gtav again a couple weeks ago. Found out it ran like shit cause vsync was turned off. Bought it like 5 years ago and never played on pc because of bad performance

Last edited by RTHKI (2020-12-10 11:18:16)

https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
DesertFox-
I only dipped my toe in the online just recently even though there was some kerfuffle about Rockstar being bastards recently. Doubt I'll play it regularly when I could be progressing in single player and growing one beard to rule them all.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6289|Washington St.
I heard you can change the size of the wiener too. Finally, everything I've wanted in a dystopian open world shooter.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Re: 40k vermintide

Looks like good, clean fun.

Teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp44GNRzvCc

RTHKI wrote:

Does anyone play online?

It's on my wishlist but waiting till I have more space and a sale. They got enough money from me buying gtav on 3 times

Actually started gtav again a couple weeks ago. Found out it ran like shit cause vsync was turned off. Bought it like 5 years ago and never played on pc because of bad performance
I'll admit a lot of my mtx fund went towards stash tabs in Path of Exile (but hey it's still a good game in 2020), so I can't really chortle at people buying stuff on GTA5.
uziq
+492|3450

Larssen wrote:

RDR2 takes forever, I finished the main storyline which took ages, still had like 40-50% or so of the game left to play but quit at that point. Incredible game though.
it's the only game i've played that's actually made use of the pc hardware i put together ~12 months ago. looks great on ultra-widescreen.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

I enjoyed RDR on Playstation, but always thought it could benefit from mouse aiming. Maybe I'll take a look at RDR2 on PC.
uziq
+492|3450
mouse aiming is great but honestly i can see the benefits in playing it on a controller.  trying to manually aim for small animals/birds when riding on horseback, using free-aim and a mouse, is basically fucking murder. especially with the way the horses handle.

also duelling just doesn't really work very well on the mouse+kb implementation. there's that like weird interaction where you draw your pistol from your holster and hip-fire which just doesn't work on PC. lots of threads of confused gamers asking about it (i know because i searched myself). the controller version relies on a sort of half-trigger press, afaik.

one amazing aspect of the PC is first-person, high-FOV mode. really brings the game world alive, particularly if you've got fancy PC graphics.

Last edited by uziq (2020-12-10 22:57:01)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

I was pretty successful with horseback archery in M&B Warband, but it takes a bit of getting used to. Riding felt organic enough, though. Anyway I've swapped controller in games before depending on what I'm doing. Notable example, joystick for BF2 in anything that flies.

e: whatever happened to those keyboards with the little thumbstick around wsad? Or am I just imagining things. Maybe it was pre-touchpad laptop stuff.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2020-12-10 23:09:31)

uziq
+492|3450
a pressure-sensitive or half-press-type keyboard technology would work way better imo. would be a nice development.

i've been using music gear too much lately, clearly, where pressure/velocity-sensitive pads are a norm.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

A keyboard with both features would be amazing even if the press sensitivity wasn't on all keys. If I had a 3d printer and some experience programming drivers, I might even try my hand at it.

A whole lot of gaming keyboards with responsive RGB lighting, but very little extra functionality apart from macro keypads. I'd put some more space out to the left for a mini throttle and thumbstick, as well as use space above the arrow keys for the same.

Something like:

https://www.amazon.com/ROCCAT-ISKU-Forc … B01MTA0OAP

… would have been amazing while I was still on World of Tanks (which I kept to the WSAD configuration), but could still be useful to me on other games with secondary bindings. Not seeing good reviews on the software though.

It's really not a new concept for keyboards, and it's aggravating to me that it hasn't made more of a splash and seen more fine-tuning.
uziq
+492|3450
keyboards already have half-press type switches. that’s literally what cherry MX blue/brown switches are. they actuate half-way through a press and provide you with a tactile feedback (hence the satisfying clack clack). strange that computers just can’t recognise it on the I/O level.

and yeah, pressure sensitive WASD would be great. don’t need it on every key so that i hit three full stops at the end of every satisfied sentence or whatever.

in red dead 2 you can’t control the speed of your horse very consistently using keyboard. double tap is in place but your horse will accelerate and decelerate seemingly at will. i think this is much easier to control using a joystick gradient.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

It would be nice to hit a switch to engage tactile resistance in select keys, in much the same way some of the sidewinder joysticks would once powered on and gripped, and not have just "stages" you push a key through but actually have it push back against you. It bothers me that Microsoft just kind of let development on this slip. I think they had a good thing going.

re: riding

Mount & Blade is very fluid on horseback. Acceleration and braking is responsive, and the horse more or less sets to the speed you get it up to, only slowing down gradually unless you give it a nudge forward again. Usually I keep forward depressed out of force of habit, but I don't really need to constantly.

More thought can be put into leading your shots, angle of swing, couch or not, shield or not.

Yes, it's old. No, they don't poop or have visible genitalia, but I haven't really played a video game that does better with horseback. They very much feel like an afterthought, or weirdly mechanical, in most of the other games I've played. Bannerlord also caries through but it's still pretty buggy.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6735|Oxferd Ohire
@un13.
Wasn't talking about the mtx as much as buying gta on 360, ps4, and finally pc.
Though I do hear they really inflate the price of new content to make people want to but shark cards. And hear rdr2 online is even worse for that
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
DesertFox-
I bought a knockoff Xbox controller to play RDR2 for all those reasons, so now I'm aim-assisted scum, I guess. I never played GTA V, but coming from Rockstar, where I had last played GTA on consoles, it felt right. A lot of 3rd person things feel that way to me that they want a controller e.g. Assassin's Creed, Shadow of War. They do get a lot of work out of button combinations in the game, though.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard