unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Chris Morris, Plugged In wrote:

Fez II Twitter Blowout

High-profile Twitter meltdowns are fairly common, but they don’t often result in the cancellation of entire projects.

But that’s exactly what happened over the weekend when Phil Fish, the mercurial creator of indie game sensation Fez, was so affected by an escalating series of tirades on Twitter that he declared he was quitting the industry and canceling development of Fez II.

The news came shortly after a massive Twitter fight with writer Marcus Beer, who took aim at Fish during a segment on GameTrailer's Invisible Walls. Beer lashed out at Fish and fellow indie designer Jonathan Blow for voicing objections to press inquiries about Microsoft's reversal on its Xbox One indie game self-publishing rules.

"Gents," he said. "You were the guys who did Indie Game: the Movie. And some of you looked relatively normal in it, one of you looked like a total tosspot in it. But you can't have it both ways. You're successful game designers — you're 'indie' game designers — hurrah, good for you, you f****** hipsters."

Beer's harsh comments struck a nerve with Fish, who demanded an apology via Twitter, getting progressively more upset as others replied.

The exchange ended with Fish announcing he was canceling the recently announced game, then locking his Twitter account. Since then, Fish’s development studio Polytron has posted this message to its fans:
"FEZ II is cancelled. i am done. i take the money and i run. this is as much as i can stomach. this is isn’t the result of any one thing, but the end of a long, bloody campaign. you win."
Fish has confirmed the cancellation with several news outlets as well.

Fez, a puzzle/platform game whose development was a focal point of the 2012 documentary "Indie Game: The Movie," has been a hit on Xbox Live Arcade and Steam and has collected a dedicated fan base. The sequel was a surprise announcement at the Horizon indie game event that occurred concurrently with this year's E3.

Fish himself is a proponent of games as an art form -- and not always in a genteel way. The Verge, in fact, has referred to him as being "notorious for voicing angry, controversial opinions about the state of video games and their development."

Beer, who's now taking heat on Twitter from Fez fans, says he did not feel his comments about Fish or Blow were out of line.

"Remember that both have been ripping MS to shreds for months voluntarily [over the company's now-changed Indie game policy] & when asked to quote on a reversal, they snarked," he told one follower. "I just didn't like the way they just wanted to use the media for their own ends."

Meanwhile, Blow, who was the subject of the same comments as Fish, had a more measured response, but indicated he understood why Fish reacted as he did.

"People saying 'indie dev X just needs to mellow' have no idea how caustic and horrible the internet is when aimed at a specific person," he wrote. "Yes, it's true, sometimes developers can be more tactful and whatever else. But what gets thrown back at them, FROM YOU GUYS, is 100 times worse. Any comment on a developer's behavior is hypocritical when coming from THE INTERNET."

Twitter has become a hot spot for ugly words between gamers and developers in recent months. David Vonderhaar, studio design director for Call of Duty: Black Ops II, also had a particularly difficult weekend after gamers sent him outrageous death threats in response to small changes announced for the popular shooter.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

who the hell are buying all of these indies game anyway?
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6144|what

Never even heard of Fez before now.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6681|Tampa Bay Florida
Me too, never heard of it until now.  lol.  The guy comes off as very unprofessional or possible unstable.  Basically using twitter to shit talk because some people said some bad things about him.  Okay dude, you're probably in the wrong line of work if you can't handle people criticizing you.  Every single game developer, painter, movie director, musician, etc. has been shat upon by the critics/journalists at some point in their career.  But no, this guy goes off the reservation and makes a decision to cancel his life's work, his claim to fame, in a period of 1 day.  LOL
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6729|Oxferd Ohire
blizzard is bad at keeping up diablo servers
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Blizzard is bad at Diablo, period.

Also, Crylife.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

That was super cool of Paradox to gift everyone a $40 copy of CK2 for preordering EU4.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Huh. If you already have CK2, do they give you a giftable copy?
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

Yes. You also get 4 DLCs
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6729|Oxferd Ohire
The Bureau: XCOM Declassified

hope its a good game
Brasso
+1,549|6622

CK2 is so fucking confusing
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

The game has a pretty steep learning curve I guess. But it becomes cake once you understand how the mechanics work. Then again steam says I have 574 hours in it...
https://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/903255624195791930/1F993B4AC7EBF398E5DB0A16A5FA75D7E80F25B4/1024x576.resizedimage
I could have done a world conquest with the first ruler if I didn't have other goals. Beautiful is it not?

Asian bitches everywhere!
https://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/903255624195861281/BE012A53A8A2F8CC0B70F571B30E1E74FE606910/1024x576.resizedimage
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

With Paradox, if you learn one of their games, the rest come easy. I started on Hearts of Iron III, iir, so had a rough go of it.
Brasso
+1,549|6622

man i dunno. i tried doing the tutorial but it was either buggy at one point or i'm retarded and couldn't read the directions properly. it just wouldn't move on to the next step.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

It isn't that hard. I'd suggest going to console and typing cash just to give you a bit of room to play with the mechanics and get used to things.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

It isn't that hard. I'd suggest going to console and typing cash just to give you a bit of room to play with the mechanics and get used to things.
That is a pretty smart thing to do. It may have been bugged since they never update the tutorials for the new game mechanics that come out with patches and DLC.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

Well, what did you think of the demo? I played all of 20 minutes. Don't have time to really put into it until Thursday and by then the game is already out. Maybe I'm simple but did the menus and buttons seem overly decorated and cluttered? I had trouble finding and instantly recognizing things even though I put 800+ hours in EU3. CK2's interface is a lot cleaner I think.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

I just pre-ordered it. I really like the ability to transfer saves from CK2. I wonder how it will handle the expanded map.

Also I did find CK2's interface to be cleaner than EU in general, but after HoI they're all easy.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

I have been running all of my saves in observe mode to get to the end date for some interesting EU4 games. Sucks that I deleted so many old ones thinking I was done with them.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Do you still at least have your Mongol Empire save?
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

Yeah I started that one when they confirmed that there would be a converter. I have two versions of it. In one I released Poland and Hungary as the Empire of Carpthia and let them start going into Russia on their own.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

As far for the expanded map they said if you had sunset invasion the new world would be split between two empires like that event said it was. Also timur still rules east of Persia. Everything else is the same.

got screens of what you plan to convert?

Last edited by Macbeth (2013-08-10 21:02:07)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Macbeth wrote:

Empire of Carpthia
https://i.imgur.com/QJTL8ph.jpg
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6729|Oxferd Ohire
steams a pos
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW