NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it
+375|6338|Atlanta, Georgia
I know the 1156 is the middleclass cheap but very efficient cpu for most. The 1366 is the higher end more powerful one, but a friend of mine said the 1155 would be the new standard for a few years  and he said i should get one of those with the sandybridge cpu. But i look on newegg and they're discontinued. So are any of these sockets gonna be phased out for something new in the next 1-2 years or what?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

1155 was the Sandy Bridge, which was the successor to the 1156. It got pulled for some sort of SATA2 degradation issue. They'll be back in April. The successor to the 1366's will be out Dec/Jan-ish (LGA2011, if I remember right).

e: see also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1356
NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it
Well thats dumb. If i had to choose a socket to last me a little under 2 years which should i go for if money isn't an issue?
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6282|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

NeXuS wrote:

Well thats dumb. If i had to choose a socket to last me a little under 2 years which should i go for if money isn't an issue?
Whichever fits the CPU you need

duh
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it
Well thats what i'm trying to figure out. I haven't bought anything yet. I want a motherboard that i can upgrade in the future if i have to.

duh
FloppY_
­

NeXuS wrote:

Well thats what i'm trying to figure out. I haven't bought anything yet. I want a motherboard that i can upgrade in the future if i have to.

duh
Don't... you can wait and wonder forever like that...

Find out what fits your budget now, buy it...

you are better off just getting a complete new system in 3-4 years than upgrading after 2
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5785|Catherine Black
The way Intel is going at the moment you'll only be able to upgrade about a generation on each motherboard

ie i5 -> crappy i7
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
FloppY_
­

Finray wrote:

The way Intel is going at the moment you'll only be able to upgrade about a generation on each motherboard

ie i5 -> crappy i7
Yeah, the happy days of the LGA775 are long gone now
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6655|BC, Canada
meh, choosing a socket doesn't matter that much, how many people actually swap cpu's on a motherboard once its set up. Look more to the features you can get with that socket. ie. multi gpu support
Defiance
+438|6667

Nic wrote:

meh, choosing a socket doesn't matter that much, how many people actually swap cpu's on a motherboard once its set up. Look more to the features you can get with that socket. ie. multi gpu support
The Intel crowd isn't accustomed to it, but I know folks with AM2 machines that have been through a number of upgrade cycles, although by now they're on their last legs.
FloppY_
­

Defiance wrote:

Nic wrote:

The Intel crowd isn't accustomed to it, but I know folks with AM2 machines that have been through a number of upgrade cycles, although by now they're on their last legs.
imo by the time you need a CPU upgrade, so much has changed that it's worth a mobo upgrade aswell
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6655|BC, Canada

FloppY_ wrote:

Defiance wrote:

Nic wrote:

imo by the time you need a CPU upgrade, so much has changed that it's worth a mobo upgrade aswell
This, I think it's more important to buy a mobo that allows you to have an upgrade path in other areas than cpu.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

I recently threw together a build that I was planning on putting together soon to replace my laptop. After the Sandy Bridge got pulled, I replaced it with the similarly-priced 1366. If you don't want to put in cash for the 1366, the 1156 is fine. If you aren't building for awhile, the 1155 is coming out again in Aprilish. If you really want to be great at SLI and both the 1366 and 1155 are available, I'd go with the 1366.

Just plan on using whatever socket is available at the time you build. Even if another one is coming out in two months, there's always the chance it'll be shoved back and prolong an already endless waiting game.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard