Trotskygrad
бля
+354|6007|Vortex Ring State

JohnG@lt wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

m3thod wrote:

well consider bridges that cross valleys, the funnelling on the land will force the wind to travel down the valley so direction is no longer a problem and secondly the funneling effect will accelerate wind speed and thus maximising turbine efficiency (\o/ GCSE geog)

We need a geography nerd to explain this in more detail i.e. ted4mods.

You've only gotta drive across one (for those in the UK, know of the one crossing lake Hollingworth on the m62) the cross wind is very apparent as the wind is forced downwards through the valley and if this engineering and mafs is correct a lot of free energy is going to waste.

a good idea in some cases
Only if the wind blows in exactly the right direction. Otherwise it will be turbulent, useless and well above the bridge.
Load factor of turbines is bad enough, restricting them to a few degrees out of 360 would be total fail.
Yep. Unless the turbines are getting hit precisely on the nose much of the energy is wasted with inefficient buffeting. A few degrees off and you lose up to 70% of the potential energy.

This is one of those 'feel good' projects that is pointless.
read posts on VAWTs
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6294|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

m3thod wrote:

Pug wrote:

About a year ago, my town put up big wind turbines and the environmentalists freaked about bird kills.  I imagine putting the blades up where birds like to roost isn't going to be very popular with them.
[Youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na6HxKQQsAM[/url]
aw, poor thing...

Though I'm not gonna start hating wind power for that... just look at oil soaked coasts and the harm pollution from coal plants do and a wack on the head of a few birds is nothing
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6007|...
Looks inefficient and expensive.
inane little opines
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6294|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

dayarath wrote:

Looks inefficient and expensive.
Of course, it's a concept and semi-decorative
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6007|...
It's neither realistic nor practical so whoever made this was wasting his time on this concept, really D:.

Unless it's just art. I don't see why it placed second, it's pretty but that's about it.
inane little opines
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6550|Texas - Bigger than France

globefish23 wrote:

[I've just read an article where a German biologist and environmentalist says that only 1-2 collisions of birds with wind turbines occur each year in Germany, as opposed to millions which die in road traffic.
Also, most birds are not frightened by the moving shadows, some keep a distance of several hundred meters and only few species of birds and bats are endangered, if the location isn't carefully selected (e.g. in or near wood, next to bodies of water).
http://www.wind-energie.de/fileadmin/do … _Flyer.pdf
I'm not saying I agree with them, but I did see a presentation when the folks were lobbying against it.  Basically anything people build over one story kills bird...because birds are stupid and don't bother looking where they are flying.  So, the number of bird kills is related to the height, surface area, and average local wind speed.  BUT, on the other side of the coin...birds usually like to fly where it's windy...aka the logical spot to put a wind turbine.

So to sum up, birds are dumb.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5366|London, England

dayarath wrote:

It's neither realistic nor practical so whoever made this was wasting his time on this concept, really D:.

Unless it's just art. I don't see why it placed second, it's pretty but that's about it.
Keep up! I already said that
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5710|College Park, MD

JohnG@lt wrote:

dayarath wrote:

where have you been?
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6505

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

dayarath wrote:

where have you been?
doin time, i'd bet
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5710|College Park, MD

burnzz wrote:

doin time
and the livin's easy
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6689|Disaster Free Zone

dayarath wrote:

Unless it's just art. I don't see why it placed second, it's pretty

DrunkFace wrote:

Ugly...
but that's about it.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5366|London, England

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

dayarath wrote:

where have you been?
Lurking

I couldnt take the stupid in dst anymore.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6476
Solar Wind, it gives comets their fucking trails.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard