SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6138|North Tonawanda, NY

JohnG@lt wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Why can no-one drive on snow? I've driven past Range Rovers in ditches, and bewildered people crashed out on roundabouts and never had a problem in my old Volvo.
I have a Pontiac sedan with front wheel drive, and I haven't ever gone off the road, slid, or lost control of my car in any major way while driving in the snow.  Everytime it snows here, I always pass all sorts of people who have gone flying off the road.

I think the reason is people still speed, they don't understand that your car cannot stop anywhere near as fast, and they don't understand that corners can be dangerous with compromised friction between the tires and the road.  If they'd slow down and take the corners even slower, they'd be a lot better off.  Oh yea, and don't tailgate. 
Yep. Assume you need 4x the amount of room you normally take to stop. And that doesn't mean slamming on the brakes 4x sooner either
Absolutely.  And slamming on the brakes is a great way to end up in a ditch regardless of what's in front of you!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5366|London, England

SenorToenails wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

I have a Pontiac sedan with front wheel drive, and I haven't ever gone off the road, slid, or lost control of my car in any major way while driving in the snow.  Everytime it snows here, I always pass all sorts of people who have gone flying off the road.

I think the reason is people still speed, they don't understand that your car cannot stop anywhere near as fast, and they don't understand that corners can be dangerous with compromised friction between the tires and the road.  If they'd slow down and take the corners even slower, they'd be a lot better off.  Oh yea, and don't tailgate. 
Yep. Assume you need 4x the amount of room you normally take to stop. And that doesn't mean slamming on the brakes 4x sooner either
Absolutely.  And slamming on the brakes is a great way to end up in a ditch regardless of what's in front of you!
And keep the wheel absolutely straight while braking.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5245|Cleveland, Ohio
let a fat chick ride the pole
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4850|Amsterdam

SenorToenails wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Why can no-one drive on snow? I've driven past Range Rovers in ditches, and bewildered people crashed out on roundabouts and never had a problem in my old Volvo.

It's always the people that drive cars that aren't made for the snow that drive the safest when there actually is any. It's the people in their 4x4's and their excuse for an off road SUV that think they can drive 100 km/h in the snow and brake within 1m of another car.

Last edited by Kampframmer (2011-02-02 10:59:29)

SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6138|North Tonawanda, NY

JohnG@lt wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Don't let the wheels lock up either.  For some reason though, when I try to accelerate from a stop in the snow, my car always pulls to the right.  I haven't quite figured out why, but I don't think it's the curvature of the road.  The tires are inflated properly, relatively new (new tires from July, properly rotated and all that).
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5366|London, England

SenorToenails wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

Don't let the wheels lock up either.  For some reason though, when I try to accelerate from a stop in the snow, my car always pulls to the right.  I haven't quite figured out why, but I don't think it's the curvature of the road.  The tires are inflated properly, relatively new (new tires from July, properly rotated and all that).
Maybe the weight of your engine is offset to the right. Dunno.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
TSI
Cholera in the time of love
+247|5988|Toronto
Was rallying once near St-Jovite, taking a 160 degree left hand corkscrew when I saw a piece of metal on the (gravel) road. swerved right (to the outside) to avoid, piece of metal ended up being a suspension assembly. Car slid off the road sideways, ended up missing a tree by about three centimetres.

However, the closest I've ever come to certain death was on the road to Tremblant two years ago. Narrow thing on the edge of a thirty-metre cliff, blind corners and elevation changes. Not too snow-covered, but still enough to cause trouble. Went around a nice right-hand bend around 105 kph, got sudden lift-off oversteer near the apex, and car went about 75-80 degrees to the road, facing off into the ravine. Slammed the gas (was a front-wheel drive) on full opposite lock, and missed the edge by what I guess to be about a foot. Got it back under my thumb after two swings.

Best part was, the guy in my passenger seat actually shit his pants.
I like pie.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6160|what

jord wrote:

Behind enemy lines was based on me, so yeah.
You were played by owen wilson?
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6362
Never used a rubber ~ ever.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6608|132 and Bush

JohnG@lt wrote:

Kmar wrote:

When I was 12 or so I went to go to the bathroom in Grand Central Station. Some guy walked into the middle of the bathroom, reached inside his coat and and shouted .. alright, nobody move. I quickly turned around and speed walked my way out .. leaving my dad waiting in line. My Dad came out laughing saying he pulled a banana out from his coat. My family called me Banana split the rest of our vacation. My Dad was like "thanks for leaving me". I figured it was every man for himself. .. while not truly a near death experience I figured you guys might get a kick out of that.

btw that was a very stupid thing for that guy to do in NYC. He is lucky he didn't get stabbed or shot.
Why? Guns and knives are illegal here
g1 chief
Xbone Stormsurgezz
13/f/taiwan
+940|5706
yeah but kmar is in his mid-30s? so that must mean this incident happened around the 70s-80s before the stricter gun laws and when crime was rampant in this city.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6608|132 and Bush

Yea I was young.

Xbone Stormsurgezz
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6362
last 60 years You could not buy a gun in N.Y.C., an end to parol cleaned up N.Y.C. That and letting the cops do thier job without turning on them when they did.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6608|132 and Bush

Yea well im sure car bombs in times square are illegal to .. but,  you know.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6362
thats my point TY

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard