Reciprocity
+721|6551|the dank(super) side of Oregon
I think I'm on the 3rd or 4th dead chick.  I've lost track.  I hope it does get better.
Stimey
­
+786|6090|Ontario | Canada
I would actually have to agree with most of reciprocity's post.
Not very upsetted by it so far though.
I do like the "Street Crimes" however, I think they provide a nice break from the interrogation/ crime scene stuff. I wouldn't say its as frequent as you suggest however. I've done 3 Street Crimes after a ton of cases (my guess is around 10) and they all seemed pretty varied. Only in one did I actually pull my gun.
Yes, the characters may facial reactions are fairly over exaggerated, and the Interrogation system with only 3 choices is fairly simplistic, however I feel that if it were the other way around the game would be far too difficult.

I for one am quite happy with the game so far. I'm going to take my time with it (though I do agree the city feels quite dead outside of the locations of interest), and I can't wait to unfold this story. I'm also quite happy that there is a game that penalizes stupidity.
­
­
­
­
­
­
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6508|Long Island, New York

Reciprocity wrote:

I think I'm on the 3rd or 4th dead chick.  I've lost track.  I hope it does get better.
Just wait till the end of the homicide desk. It's actually a really great twist with some puzzles that take you to some landmarks around the city. It's fun.

As for street crimes, I'm gonna with Stimey... sure, a lot of them are just "kill these guys", but it's a nice break. And the gunplay is pretty decent, surprisingly.

Stimey wrote:

I'm also quite happy that there is a game that penalizes stupidity.
This. This isn't GTA. You really need to follow the rules, be VERY careful with your decisions and think intelligently in order to get 4 stars or above on a case.

I don't think it's the best game ever by any means, but I love the setting, I love the new technology and I find it generally fun. Thumbs up from me with about 15 hours played so far.

Last edited by Poseidon (2011-05-19 21:25:00)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
i think you're over-rating just how 'difficult' and 'careful' the game is... tbh.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6660|Tampa Bay Florida
So far so good.  I love the atmosphere... and they obviously did their research for 1940's LA. 

The gameplay itself is really innovative but seems a little too formulaic.  And the main character is a boring asshole.. as someone said already.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

The main character? An asshole? Alpha Protocol did it.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
They would've been better off doing it more like mass effect, having fewer conversations with a little more action imo.  1920;s Chicago during prohibition would've been awesome.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

Spearhead wrote:

So far so good.  I love the atmosphere... and they obviously did their research for 1940's LA. 

The gameplay itself is really innovative but seems a little too formulaic.  And the main character is a boring asshole.. as someone said already.
I love Mad Men so I'm pretty much forced to love the main character. If I didn't enjoy the show I'd probably agree though - I can definitely see how he can come off bland.
Stimey
­
I think bland is the wrong word. I would call him straight edge, not really bland however.
­
­
­
­
­
­
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6431|UK

Poseidon wrote:

Reciprocity wrote:

Just wait till the end of the homicide desk. It's actually a really great twist with some puzzles that take you to some landmarks around the city. It's fun.

As for street crimes, I'm gonna with Stimey... sure, a lot of them are just "kill these guys", but it's a nice break. And the gunplay is pretty decent, surprisingly.

Stimey wrote:

I'm also quite happy that there is a game that penalizes stupidity.
This. This isn't GTA. You really need to follow the rules, be VERY careful with your decisions and think intelligently in order to get 4 stars or above on a case.

I don't think it's the best game ever by any means, but I love the setting, I love the new technology and I find it generally fun. Thumbs up from me with about 15 hours played so far.
I agree on the landmark hunting bit pretty interesting. I was disappointed at first thinking all the cases are shitty and little but it gets better.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Spearhead wrote:

They would've been better off doing it more like mass effect, having fewer conversations with a little more action imo.  1920;s Chicago during prohibition would've been awesome.
Or you could just go play Mass Effect or Mafia 1.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
I really hope for a sequel in the 1960's during the Civil Rights era. I think the cases you could find would be a lot more varied and interesting. Not that solving the Black Dahlia murder wasn't interesting enough.
Stimey
­
LA Noire dies at the end.
­
­
­
­
­
­
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
You may not karma the same person in a 24 hour period.
Stimey
­
horseshit goddamn rule
­
­
­
­
­
­
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
well from what I've seen of mad men, its also boring and full of assholes.  this explains a lot I guess.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

Spearhead wrote:

well from what I've seen of mad men, its also boring and full of assholes.  this explains a lot I guess.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
Is there a place where i can select a car to drive? 

How do I switch weapons?

The fuck?

Also, how many more alcoholic blonde women in their 40's are going to be murdered with a tire iron?  I've counted 4 so far.  (btw, I ended up arresting the father and letting the pedo walk free, accidentally.  oops)

Last edited by Spearhead (2011-05-23 21:13:55)

Stimey
­
Well I've learned several things from this game so far:

-Don't keep a matchbook from ANYWHERE
-Don't own a tire iron
-Don't have triple braid rope

Thank god i've evacuated my house of these items now the cops will NEVER BE ABLE TO TRACK ME ANYWHERE/
­
­
­
­
­
­
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

Stimey wrote:

Well I've learned several things from this game so far:

-Don't keep a matchbook from ANYWHERE
-Don't own a tire iron
-Don't have triple braid rope

Thank god i've evacuated my house of these items now the cops will NEVER BE ABLE TO TRACK ME ANYWHERE/

And don't leave your daughter home alone, she might give you up. HEAR THAT, HUGO?
Stimey
­
Also look people straight in the eye and never blink whenever they ask you a question.
­
­
­
­
­
­
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
You can drive all over the road, but if you tip a car just a little bit PENALTY! PENALTY!!! ONE STAR OFF!!!!!
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
Meh.  I think they dropped the ball on this game.  Kinda like Red Dead Redemption.  They're good at creating atmosphere, no doubt, like the Wild West and LA, but when it comes to content?  Its a let down.  Below the surface, after you completed most of the missions, RDR was a vast wasteland of nothingness. 

Not sure if its just the engine or how they make the game or whatever... but they would really have a masterpiece if they took the open world formula and made it into an Bethesda-like RPG.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

you guys are suprised it blew? really? it looked like a meh game from the start. but whatever it has voice actors!!11
jord
+2,382|6648|The North, beyond the wall.
Well there's this and dirt 3 so I don't know I guess this...?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard