KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6650|949

guys, c'mon.  Can we at least get back to some semblance of a discussion about recent affairs in Egypt?
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6171|what

Anyone want to make any wild guesses on their stance with Israel/Palestine when the new Govt. forms?

/re-directing this thread to a direction that won't be derailed.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5979|Places 'n such
Army has already said it's going to uphold the peace treaty with Israel, which would be good...
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6124|eXtreme to the maX

presidentsheep wrote:

Army has already said it's going to uphold the peace treaty with Israel, which would be good...
Which counts when the army is in charge.
After the elections it will be up to the govt. As a first step I reckon they'll open up the border with Gaza.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2011-02-14 17:04:51)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6171|what

Will be interesting if they open up the borders between palestine and eygpt.

And what Israel's reaction would be to the above.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6619|132 and Bush

Egypt took and still occupies some of that land does it not?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
CC-Marley
+407|6847
Some people really suck. Hope she's ok.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/02/ … tag=exclsv
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6556|Long Island, New York

CC-Marley wrote:

Some people really suck. Hope she's ok.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/02/ … tag=exclsv
Saw that before. And it's really sad how a lot of people have been lumping the pro-Mubark supporters' violence in with the general, secular protests.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6619|132 and Bush

The Role of Social Media in the Egypt Revolution

Just like many of you, I’ve kept a close watch on the Egypt revolution these past weeks. Today, I’m reading a lot of articles saying Egypt would not be ‘free’ if it wasn’t for the internet.

If you look further than the past few weeks, you’ll discover that this 18 day revolution did not begin with guns or terror, but with tweets and texts. Before they rallied on the streets, young Egyptians organized groups on Facebook, and they showed the world what was going on in their country through tweets and viral videos on YouTube.

Google manager Wael Ghonim is regarded as a revolution leader: he set up an important Facebook page that helped organize effective protests. He became a (reluctant) icon when he was jailed for 12 days. In an interview with 60 minutes, Ghonim said: “If there were no social networks, it would have never been sparked.”
He continued: “Without Facebook, without Twitter, without Google, without YouTube – this would have never happened.”

Before the revolution started, Ghonim posted videos of brutality by Egyptian police on the web in his spare time. When Egyptian online activist Khaled Said was beaten to death after trying to expose police corruption, Ghonim decided to fight the 30-year regime. He started a Facebook page called “we are all Khaled Said.”

Thousands of Egyptians began sharing pictures and videos of abuse and mistreatment on that Facebook page. Ghonim and others started organizing and announcing protests, and hundreds of people started showing up. Most of these protesters had never met each other, they purely responded to an online calling.

Even though Ghonim is now seen as a revolution leader, many more people were involved at the heart of this uprising.  Much more happened than just tweets, texts, and Facebook posts.

However, Mubarak shut down the internet for a reason. Before the protesters gathered, they organized online. More than a third of the Arab world uses social media, and the government was simply trying to stop the organizing and rallying online.

However, while it is interesting to look at the role of social media in this revolution – let’s not forget that these tools are not the true reason people gathered on the streets. People got together because they wanted to see change.

Twitter CEO Dick Costolo said that the emphasis on social media “”takes away from what these people have accomplished.”

Let’s not forget the true reason behind this revolution. It’s the strong will of ordinary citizens – who were sick and tired of a 30-year regime. Whether it was on Facebook or on the streets, they stood together – and that’s the true reason.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6828|Nårvei

There are scattered reports coming in that the Egyptian military have confined and tortured many of the rioters ...

1. Is it true ...
2. Is it planted to discredit the military

I saw this in a newscast on Norwegian TV last evening and my first though was "who benefits from this information", the reason for me to think just that is because the Egyptian military normally sides unconditionally with the people and would gain absolutely nothing from this kind of behaviour but rather loose support at a time they especially need to be impartial in terms of who will gain power ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6619|132 and Bush

I can't find anything substantial regarding that... http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/connec … 139158.htm
Xbone Stormsurgezz
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6429|'Murka

AussieReaper wrote:

Anyone want to make any wild guesses on their stance with Israel/Palestine when the new Govt. forms?

rrriiiggghhhttt...
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
FEOS
+1,182|6429|'Murka

Varegg wrote:

There are scattered reports coming in that the Egyptian military have confined and tortured many of the rioters ...

1. Is it true ...
2. Is it planted to discredit the military

I saw this in a newscast on Norwegian TV last evening and my first though was "who benefits from this information", the reason for me to think just that is because the Egyptian military normally sides unconditionally with the people and would gain absolutely nothing from this kind of behaviour but rather loose support at a time they especially need to be impartial in terms of who will gain power ...
I find that hard to believe. It's been primarily the internal security apparatus (not the military) in Egypt who has done that in the past. The military has been hands off when it has come to detainment and torture.

My guess is it would be seeded info from competing parties, looking to discredit the ruling junta in some way to gain advantage in the coming months. Hard to say who at this point because there are too many fish in the pond. Muslim Brotherhood would be the easy choice, but being the easy choice makes them less obvious, if that makes any sense.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

FEOS wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

rrriiiggghhhttt...
Its a critical issue and very much related to unrest in Egypt.
Where they go with the peace treaty has immense potential to affect Egypt, the ME, what happens to Palestine etc.

Its the main reason the US has been funding Egypt all these years after all.
FEOS
+1,182|6429|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

FEOS wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

rrriiiggghhhttt...
Its a critical issue and very much related to unrest in Egypt.
Where they go with the peace treaty has immense potential to affect Egypt, the ME, what happens to Palestine etc.

Its the main reason the US has been funding Egypt all these years after all.
I fully realize that. And if it stays related to Egypt, and doesn't devolve into the typical nonsense, I'll eat my shoe.
― Albert Einstein

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6171|what

FEOS wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

rrriiiggghhhttt...
Egypt has now opened borders with Palestine to allow refugees into the country, or for citizens to return Palestine.

No surprise there.

I'm again left shaking my head at the latest UN veto from the US on halting Israel settlements, but let's not derail.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6619|132 and Bush

You know the US has actually asked them to stop right?

The U.S. opposes new Israeli settlements but says taking the issue to the UN will only complicate efforts to resume stalled negotiations between Israel and the Palestinians on a two-state solution.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6171|what

So every other nation votes Israel should stop building settlements to move the peace talks along.

And the US vetos this because they have asked Israel to stop. And that forcing Israel to stop building settlements will "complicate" the peace talks?

Palestinians left the peace talks after Israel resumed building after saying they would stop. They stopped for a period of ten months.

How is israels word good enough when they've broken it? How does vetoing a motion that will force the issue help?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6619|132 and Bush

I was clarifying the US's position. Simply saying that the US has vetoed a bill that condemns Israeli settlements does not paint an entire picture. Condemning it does nothing in reality.

Edit: http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?pi … 2#p3458822
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Israel already signed an agreement not build new settlements or expand existing ones, which it has broken - The Oslo Accords.
A UN resolution condeming the breach is entirely appropriate.

A resolution condemning it would be the first step, then a resolution requiring them to stop, then a resolution backed with the threat of military force.

Oh wait, that only happens to Arabs.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6619|132 and Bush

Cultural relativity is an amazing thing. While American parents worry about their kids being on Facebook, Egyptian parents are naming their kids “Facebook,” to commemorate the events surrounding the #Jan25 revolution.

According to Al-Ahram (“The New York Times of Egypt”) a man in his twenties named his first born daughter Facebook in tribute to the role the social media service had in organizing the protests in Tahrir Square and beyond.
http://techcrunch.com/2011/02/19/facebo … t-newborn/
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6693|Canberra, AUS
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5054|Massachusetts, USA
I don't think thats what Mark Zuckerburg had in mind when he created the website.
If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5255|Cleveland, Ohio

UnkleRukus wrote:

I don't think thats what Mark Zuckerburg had in mind when he created the website.
cuz he didnt create it.....
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6619|132 and Bush

Ideas are a dime a dozen. Making it work is what really counts.
Xbone Stormsurgezz

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard