Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5586

Ugh so much stupid.

what matters to me? An uprising in the most populous Arab nation?
Useless trivia question- What is the most populace Muslim state?
Spoiler (highlight to read):
Indonesia.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5359|London, England

Commie Killer wrote:

I agree to an extent. The problem arises when John Doe from Bumblefuck USA decides to start lecturing YOU on panzer tactics when he doesn't even know what the Schefflin plan is. Too many people decide to start throwing their two cents in when they do not have a single fucking clue what they are talking about.
Schlieffen
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5586

Macbeth wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Yeah, because the outcome won't look something like Iran... I believe they have the most madrasas per capita in the world.
I wouldn't hold up the amount of Madrasahs they have as proof of how religious their country is. The vast majority of those were built a very long time ago for reasons that had little to do with religion.
After the Mamluks coup that took control of Egypt it was ordered that only former slaves could inherit land, power, and titles. You see a Mamluk was the term used for slave soldiers that were pretty popular in middle east a long time ago. The Mamluk leaders had to find ways for their children and families to keep money and power after they died and they came up with the idea of founding Madrasahs. The Mamluk leaders would donate a bunch of money, and land to build one and their children would get positions in the newly built Madrasahs. This allowed the Mamluk's children to maintain some status and wealth.
welcome to bf2s? your premiere gaming community

your premiere worldwiiiiide gaming community

Last edited by Kimmmmmmmmmmmm (2011-02-03 20:42:44)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Trotskygrad wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Personally, I've seen that most Americans I know take a stance similar to my own in that they support the revolts, but they worry what government will take Mubarak's place.
Why would Americans be worried what takes its place? Is America a militarily weak nation bordering Egypt or something?? Are Americans averse to self determination and 'power to the people' in the context of a nation of desperate underemployed, underfed subjects of a kleptocrat, just looking for some bread and a job?
because it might be Anti-American, ofc
.. or I don't know, perhaps we evil self serving Americans actually care about the human condition beyond our borders. At least try to wrap your brain around that. . And btw, which country in this world doesn't try to protect it's own interest? Which government would champion another government that is diametrically opposed to them? Yes we want the peoples voice to be heard. Just in a proper manner. I don't think turq is arguing against the need for change, but rather let them now do it with elections. Lighting a car on fire and driving it through a store window isn't the most thought out way to nominate your candidate.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

JohnG@lt wrote:

lowing wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Who gives a shit? Does their opinion on what should happen in Egypt matter? Not in the slightest. Can they affect any change whatseover? No. Does it have any impact on their life? Maybe in a remote indirect manner.

Pat yourself on the back all you want because you consider yourself enlightened. The knowledge you think you possess is about as useful as my ability to compute On Base Percentage.
no one gives a shit, thought I said that. nope our opinions don't matter either, nope can't affect change either, might have an impact in a remote indirect manner.( thought I said that as well)

I'm not patting myself on my back, I never heard of  Hosni Mubarak until last week either. Still it does not take away from the fact that we are a nation of dumb fucks.
I'm fairly certain the same could be said of every country in the world. The average worker bee concerns himself with what matters to him. Nothing more.
and as I said, the average worker bee has no idea about their own govt. or significant facts about their own country. My concerns really doesn't lie in whether the average American knows the leadership of every country in the world, but rather they have at least a working knowledge of their own country. It is this dumbing down of the American citizen that I feel is responsible for the decline of our nation as a whole, in morality, economically, and in world status. We are a nation of the entitled, and when your entitled, who needs to know anything. The only thing people really wanna know is, who can they put in office that will entitle them the most.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Macbeth wrote:

lowing wrote:

I never heard of  Hosni Mubarak until last week either.
Seriously?
nope. Oh I might have heard the name, but I couldn't tell you who he is.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Dilbert_X wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Why on earth would the average American concern themselves with international politics? I can't think of a worse form of mental masturbation.
Because it affects America?

lowing wrote:

I never heard of  Hosni Mubarak until last week either.
You don't care how your tax dollars get spent? OK...
Yes dilbert, as usual, you have linked the unlink-able.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX

lowing wrote:

It is this dumbing down of the American citizen that I feel is responsible for the decline of our nation as a whole

lowing wrote:

never heard of  Hosni Mubarak until last week either.
But really, you don't know who America's only real ally in the ME is? Pretty sure he's a muslim btw.

I find it surprising you get excited about people buying video cards but aren't bothered about billions upon billions of your tax dollars being given to foreign governments in return for very little.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2011-02-03 23:16:52)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Dilbert_X wrote:

lowing wrote:

It is this dumbing down of the American citizen that I feel is responsible for the decline of our nation as a whole

lowing wrote:

But really, you don't know who America's only real ally in the ME is? Pretty sure he's a muslim btw.

I find it surprising you get excited about people buying video cards but aren't bothered about billions upon billions of your tax dollars being given to foreign governments in return for very little.
What is surprising is how much you care about our tax dollars.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
When they're buying weapons for despots I care.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Dilbert_X wrote:

lowing wrote:

lowing wrote:

Sorry to disappoint Dilbert, but I yes I am guilty, Irarely read the annual budget of the US. and do not again accuse me of dragging Muslims or Islam into every discussion.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6668

Macbeth wrote:

Ugh so much stupid.

Useless trivia question- What is the most populace Muslim state?
Spoiler (highlight to read):
Indonesia.
Indonesians aren't Arabians...
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

lowing wrote:

Sorry to disappoint Dilbert, but I yes I am guilty, Irarely read the annual budget of the US. and do not again accuse me of dragging Muslims or Islam into every discussion.
Well, thats what you do.

Since you get so excited about the ME and muslims in general its surprising you know nothing of Egypt, or who the President has been for 30 years.
Do you know who Saddam Hussein was?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

lowing wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

lowing wrote:

no one gives a shit, thought I said that. nope our opinions don't matter either, nope can't affect change either, might have an impact in a remote indirect manner.( thought I said that as well)

I'm not patting myself on my back, I never heard of  Hosni Mubarak until last week either. Still it does not take away from the fact that we are a nation of dumb fucks.
I'm fairly certain the same could be said of every country in the world. The average worker bee concerns himself with what matters to him. Nothing more.
and as I said, the average worker bee has no idea about their own govt. or significant facts about their own country. My concerns really doesn't lie in whether the average American knows the leadership of every country in the world, but rather they have at least a working knowledge of their own country. It is this dumbing down of the American citizen that I feel is responsible for the decline of our nation as a whole, in morality, economically, and in world status. We are a nation of the entitled, and when your entitled, who needs to know anything. The only thing people really wanna know is, who can they put in office that will entitle them the most.
'dumbing down' is one of the most overused expressions in America today. Americans have always been dumb. There was never any golden age where everyone was bright and discussed philosophy in an intelligent manner. Sorry.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I think there was, basically it was before TV.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

Future generations will look back on us, look at all the books that we generated on an annual basis and dub us to be smarter than they themselves are. Everyone is guilty of glorifying the past to a certain extent, especially when they never experienced it first hand. It's even worse when the are old and reflecting "Kids these days are weak. I had to walk ten miles in the snow to get to class" etc. Meanwhile that might've happened one time.
-Frederick Bastiat
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Thank god we've god John here to enlighten us today.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Kmar wrote:

Thank god we've god John here to enlighten us today.
Am I wrong?
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

JohnG@lt wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Future generations will look back on us, look at all the books that we generated on an annual basis and dub us to be smarter than they themselves are. Everyone is guilty of glorifying the past to a certain extent, especially when they never experienced it first hand. It's even worse when the are old and reflecting "Kids these days are weak. I had to walk ten miles in the snow to get to class" etc. Meanwhile that might've happened one time.
I don't know, I bet any quality is lost in the quantity.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

I don't know, I bet any quality is lost in the quantity.
True. But on the other hand, a dearth of quantity increases the assumed value. Dickens and Austen suck but they're classics mostly because so little was published back then.
-Frederick Bastiat
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Well, tbh I often think about how stupid people were in the past. So assuming that we all think older generations of people were superior is wrong. Baby boomers dropped so much acid in their youth that it's hard for anyone to proclaim their generation brilliant. ..i kid.

I don't necessarily haver a problem with their intelligence,  but rather with their narcissism and their fear of responsibility.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
13rin
+977|6480

Macbeth wrote:

Ugh so much stupid.

When the uprising just happens to be in a Country that controls one of the biggest shipping lanes in the world -thus effecting oil/gas prices in your little sphere of life... Should matter to you dood.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6675|Canberra, AUS
More than just oil prices tbh. IIRC the majority of global shipping goes through Suez.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Ugh so much stupid.

When the uprising just happens to be in a Country that controls one of the biggest shipping lanes in the world -thus effecting oil/gas prices in your little sphere of life... Should matter to you dood.
Most oil tankers (especially the ones that service the US) are too large to traverse the Suez. They go around the Horn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aframax
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard