+407|6830
burn
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6447|The Land of Scott Walker

JohnG@lt wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Why is evolution higher than ourselves? It's a theory of random genetic mutations, some of which are beneficial and thrive, while others do not. There's nothing guiding evolution so... I don't understand your statement.
The system determines our destiny in evolution, yes?  We are merely grains of sand in the cosmos etc etc
No. There is no destiny. There is no fate. Mutations occur randomly due to radiation exposure and other causes. They are not predestined to occur. Now, like I said, feel free to chalk those mutations up to the will of your god. At least then you'll be halfway correct instead of wholly wrong.
Ok, so for the sake of argument "destiny" is poor choice of words in the evolutionary cycle.  However, there is an end result not governed by the individual, but by the evolutionary system, yes?
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5963|Places 'n such

Jaekus wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

The system determines our destiny in evolution, yes?  We are merely grains of sand in the cosmos etc etc
No. There is no destiny. There is no fate.
You cannot prove a negative.
Yeah I can, throw yourself out of your window. You won't fly
Disclaimer: Only intended for ground floor windows.
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5963|Places 'n such

Stingray24 wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

No. There is no destiny. There is no fate. Mutations occur randomly due to radiation exposure and other causes. They are not predestined to occur. Now, like I said, feel free to chalk those mutations up to the will of your god. At least then you'll be halfway correct instead of wholly wrong.
Ok, so for the sake of argument "destiny" is poor choice of words in the evolutionary cycle.  However, there is an end result not governed by the individual, but by the evolutionary system, yes?
No, evolution is constant.
e: never ending. If that's what you were on about, we're still evolving, we aren't the finished product. There won't be a finished product.

Last edited by presidentsheep (2011-01-25 17:22:01)

Stingray24
Not for the species that are extinct ...
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5963|Places 'n such
They were still evolving, just not fast enough.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6155|what

CC-Marley wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrQf6cogMuI

Watch the above, and then read some of the comments made from the religious types. Calling fake, simply because this promotes gasp evolution.

If they can't even accept a Gorilla walking, I doubt an alien life is going to change their belief that drastically, if at all.

If you believed the Church, the Earth was the centre of the universe and Sun revolved around the Earth. When that was proven incorrect, did the religious stop believing? Nope, just altered what they got out of the texts. "Metaphor" is the excuse for anything the Bible, etc is shown to be false with.
If we did come from monkeys, then why are there still monkeys? Just a question?
Completely simplified version

B
  /
A
  \
   C

Shared ancestor.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5360|London, England

Stingray24 wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

It's not governed by anything more than whatever the present circumstances are for the species. If there's a sudden heat wave and a subsect of the population has built-in heat tolerance it will survive and thrive where the rest of the population will not. If it's followed by a cold snap and those critters are intolerant of cold they will then die off in turn. There's no governing system, just a series of seemingly random interactions between critter and environment.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Why does it frighten you so much to think that there might not be anything in control?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Stingray24
The end result is I, the individual, will be eliminated within the system by an event beyond my control, resulting in my demise.  That, to me, seems like the system exerting power upon me.
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5963|Places 'n such
It's human nature to seek creators and reasons for things, ironically a by-product of evolution.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Stingray24 wrote:

The end result is I, the individual, will be eliminated within the system by an event beyond my control, resulting in my demise.  That, to me, seems like the system exerting power upon me.
Why would it be beyond your control? You have the ability to think and reason. If the world gets too cold you put on more clothes. If it gets too hot you sit in air conditioning. If you get sick you go see a doctor. We as humans probably have more mutations in our DNA than any other creature simply because modern society shields and protects those mutations from death. How many people live long enough to reproduce with what otherwise would've been a death sentence of a childhood disease? Plenty. Kids born without hands or feet? We give them prosthetics and send them on their merry way. A genetic disorder that would've meant death in the past is now just a disability to overcome.

Anyway, point is, our own evolutionary path has given us greater tools of survival than any known species from history. Short of the Sun going supernova tomorrow we're not in any danger of dying off anytime soon.
-Frederick Bastiat
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5963|Places 'n such

JohnG@lt wrote:

Anyway, point is, our own evolutionary path has given us greater tools of survival than any known species from history. Short of the Sun going supernova tomorrow we're not in any danger of dying off anytime soon.
I reckon it's all a matter of time before someone does something stupid with a more dangerous tool and buggers us all. Hopefully sometime after we've colonised mars
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6132|North Tonawanda, NY
This thread reminded me of this comic...lol

https://i.imgur.com/nta4G.gif
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5475|Ventura, California
I'd love it if God was screwing around with us and made different "Earths" around the universe with different life forms to see which was best
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6356

AussieReaper wrote:

You're a nutcase. Plain and simple. Crying because I'm hitting the Bible and not the Koran? lol.
I just pointed out that you didn't have the balls to add the koran because your a front runner

AussieReaper wrote:

As for the bible never mentioning the solar system? In the beginning God created the Heavens and the Earth. Skip a few lines. Then what happens?

And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also..
That doesn't describe the Sun revolving around the Earth does it ? " solar system "

AussieReaper wrote:

Pardon my ignorance,..
No

AussieReaper wrote:

I had assumed by stars also, that the Bible was referring to God creating the stars also..
You didn't state that was the case, I didn't either.

AussieReaper wrote:

And I'm sure you could easily find someone who still believes the Sun revolves around the Earth, or even someone from the flat Earth society. Those loons are out there, too..
Rather I'm sure you could,
That doesn't buttress your case or diminish mine. what I said was " I have not encountered a Religious person, ( Christian, muslim or otherwise ) who still hold the Pre Nicolaus Copernicus theories to hold true. " Clearly you move in different circles.

The best place to look for some one like that would probably be east or south of the Mediterranean sea.

AussieReaper wrote:

And as for your argument that "Nor is standing up-rite an improvement in the Darwinian sense. " Yes it is. It is an improvement for the fact that without walking on all fours, the great Apes have more time to use tools/carry objects in their now free hands..
You assume its just apes that evolve ? Your wrong.

AussieReaper wrote:

Walking upright was a huge advantage in our development as a species also. .
what I said was "Unless walking up-rite helped him further his blood line," which is generally excepted as how we evolve, you missed this in your zeal. that chimps bad arm more than likely hindered his ability as the are not strictly tool users. Using a twig to get termites out of a hole is about the best they do. But they are climbers and the are not at the top of the food chain.
I didn't limit my statement to homosapians. [sp]

AussieReaper wrote:

Walking upright is an evolutionary leap forward for mammals with two legs and two hands..
Didn't limit my observations to mammals with two legs and two hands. you did.

AussieReaper wrote:

Glad you mentioned dogs, I'd have thought the fact we've been breeding dogs for millennia and domesticating them was proof enough in evolution. It's not wolves in our homes. .
Again,  what I said was " Just because he looks more human Doesn't make a dog who sits up smarter or more likely to procreate and promote his blood line."  Unless you really think it does ? for the record I am not that religious. you just have tunnel vision and a complex.

sorry for the freaky spacing,,very tired will clean up later if your still pouting about it. TY !

Last edited by Hunter/Jumper (2011-01-25 19:03:27)

13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6499

you*re

you edited your post and didn't fix the grammatical errors? jesus wept, do the world a favor and kys . . .

Last edited by burnzz (2011-01-25 19:03:27)

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6155|what

Hunter/Jumper wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

And as for your argument that "Nor is standing up-rite an improvement in the Darwinian sense. " Yes it is. It is an improvement for the fact that without walking on all fours, the great Apes have more time to use tools/carry objects in their now free hands..
You assume its just apes that evolve ? Your wrong.
https://img690.imageshack.us/img690/9776/facepalmj.gif
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
-Frederick Bastiat
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6356

presidentsheep wrote:

Meh, any religious book is a series of stories made to promote morals .
Most not all promote morals,  morals = good thing IMO see below.

presidentsheep wrote:

that encourage group survival.
good thing IMO death extinction = bad

presidentsheep wrote:

which in turn allows the group to spread the stories in the book..
poor or no morals = low group survival rate = extinction. bad thing for race

presidentsheep wrote:

self perpetuating
= proof of success good thing

presidentsheep wrote:

bullshit the lot of it.
survival of race = bullshit ?

Last edited by Hunter/Jumper (2011-01-25 19:15:58)

Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5180|Sydney

burnzz wrote:

you*re

you edited your post and didn't fix the grammatical errors? jesus wept, do the world a favor and kys . . .
He does it with all his posts, it's funny to watch.

But really, to the thread title, people will believe what they want to believe. I'm sure if aliens visited us every other week there'd be some tenets found in all the world's holy books indicating this would happen all of a sudden.
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6356

burnzz wrote:

you*re

sorry for the freaky spacing,,very tired will clean up later if your still pouting about it. TY !
do the world a favor and huff more glue
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5486|Bolingbrook, Illinois
i love it when people argue about religion when they know nothing about religion

http://www.catholicnews.com/data/storie … 802629.htm

i'm 100% certain there's extraterrestrials out there, and it doesn't affect my faith in any shape, way, or form
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5180|Sydney

Hunter/Jumper wrote:

presidentsheep wrote:

Meh, any religious book is a series of stories made to promote morals .
Most not all promote morals,  morals = good thing IMO see below.

presidentsheep wrote:

that encourage group survival.
good thing IMO death extinction = bad

presidentsheep wrote:

which in turn allows the group to spread the stories in the book..
poor or no morals = low group survival rate = extinction. bad thing for race

presidentsheep wrote:

self perpetuating
= proof of success good thing

presidentsheep wrote:

bullshit the lot of it.
survival of race = bullshit ?
Paraphrasing like that is really a no-no on forums, talk about taking stuff waaay out of context.

Also, suggesting books are the reason for the survival of the human species is kinda jumping off the deep end. Or if you're not suggesting that perhaps just posting something rather than taking other people's posts out of context?

Am I the only one who doesn't really understand what the fuck you are on about?

Last edited by Jaekus (2011-01-25 19:19:42)

Hunter/Jumper
+117|6356

Jaekus wrote:

burnzz wrote:

you*re

He does it with all his posts, it's funny to watch.

But really, to the thread title, people will believe what they want to believe. I'm sure if aliens visited us every other week there'd be some tenets found in all the world's holy books indicating this would happen all of a sudden.
Yes that's funny is it funny to see the mehs wauhs kys and all the other things people do to save a second or two, If you bring nothing at all why post. You just look like another burnzz

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard