cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6698|NJ
I don't think it would have too deep an impact on religion as a whole. It would probably have alot on certain members. But the way to truly debunk religious groups two things.

1. Go backwards instead of forwards and compare the old religion(because yes most of the ideals are based off of other religions)
2. Open up the religious archives that the catholic church keeps locked away. Full disclosure will probably make the bible look more like twilight then a word of god.

We probably have also found aliens, but we're going to keep our technology advancements moving forward till we catch up with them. So it will seem like we find them.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5545|Toronto
Discovering another intelligent life form might even strengthen religion.

There will be a new evil to band against and name the work of the devil. If they're the new species is friendly they're potentially new converts to spread the true word of god to. It'll be the crusades all over again!
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

Pochsy wrote:

There will be a new evil to band against and name the work of the devil. If they're the new species is friendly they're potentially new converts to spread the true word of god to. It'll be the crusades all over again!
Aliens would have to go native for that to happen. lol
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6356

AussieReaper wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrQf6cogMuI

Watch the above, and then read some of the comments made from the religious types. Calling fake, simply because this promotes gasp evolution.

If they can't even accept a Gorilla walking, I doubt an alien life is going to change their belief that drastically, if at all.

If you believed the Church, the Earth was the centre of the universe and Sun revolved around the Earth. When that was proven incorrect, did the religious stop believing? Nope, just altered what they got out of the texts..
I don't recall the Bible ( I assume your not Ripping the koran ) Ever making mention of the solar system. I have not encountered a Religious person, ( Christian, muslim or otherwise )  who still hold the Pre Nicolaus Copernicus theories to hold true.

AussieReaper wrote:

"Metaphor" is the excuse for anything the Bible, etc is shown to be false with.
Bible, Yes I see you weren't trashing the koran.
I remember some researcher noted a chimp who walked up-rite in dashes because of a damaged arm he had. It was in Nat Geo. Unless walking up-rite helped him further his blood line, I doubt it would promote evolution. ( By evolution I am to assume you mean because he is standing on his hind legs he is evolving ) Walking on all fours is not necessarily an impediment to animals Nor is standing up-rite an improvement in the Darwinian sense. Just because he looks more human Doesn't make a dog who sits up smarter or more likely to procreate and promote his blood line. I realize you had another message to push.
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6356

Pochsy wrote:

I doubt they'd be Evil. they might not have our interests in mind. Especially if they checked in here first. lol

Most people find new things scary.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6544|Texas - Bigger than France
Check out the book Contact.  Has both sides of the argument...so yes, just like every other thing that happens there will be a religious sect that springs up. 

Here's some current ones - Raelism - extraterrestrials visited Earth a long time ago and we are now part of that population.  Heaven's Gate, Church of Maradona (the Argentine soccer player), Church of Euthanasia (population growth negative...motto: save the planet, kill yourself), Thee Temple ov Psychick Youth (guiltless sex is the way to magic and psychic freedom) etc.
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6356

Pug wrote:

Check out the book Contact.  Has both sides of the argument...so yes, just like every other thing that happens there will be a religious sect that springs up. 

Here's some current ones - Raelism - extraterrestrials visited Earth a long time ago and we are now part of that population.  Heaven's Gate, Church of Maradona (the Argentine soccer player), Church of Euthanasia (population growth negative...motto: save the planet, kill yourself), Thee Temple ov Psychick Youth (guiltless sex is the way to magic and psychic freedom) etc.

Pug wrote:

Church of Euthanasia (population growth negative...motto: save the planet, kill yourself),
maybe the could buy add space here ?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

EVieira wrote:

Kmar wrote:

So you don't see anyone questioning their belief system after? Surely the discovery of intelligent alien life would be cause for reconsideration, no matter how devote the believer is.
Why would they? Plenty of things have been discovered and people's faith continues. Fossils, DNA, evolution, etc. Why would alien life throw them off if none of those things ever did?
Plenty of religions have also failed with the progression of human understanding. I used to be certain in your opinion also. I'm not so sure now. As it stands now Aethism in the US is already the fastest growing belief system. Making contact would be the greatest challenge of to any religion.

I'd still like to hear some reasonable answers to the op questions.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6154|what

Hunter/Jumper wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Watch the above, and then read some of the comments made from the religious types. Calling fake, simply because this promotes gasp evolution.

If they can't even accept a Gorilla walking, I doubt an alien life is going to change their belief that drastically, if at all.

If you believed the Church, the Earth was the centre of the universe and Sun revolved around the Earth. When that was proven incorrect, did the religious stop believing? Nope, just altered what they got out of the texts..
I don't recall the Bible ( I assume your not Ripping the koran ) Ever making mention of the solar system. I have not encountered a Religious person, ( Christian, muslim or otherwise )  who still hold the Pre Nicolaus Copernicus theories to hold true.

AussieReaper wrote:

"Metaphor" is the excuse for anything the Bible, etc is shown to be false with.
Bible, Yes I see you weren't trashing the koran.
I remember some researcher noted a chimp who walked up-rite in dashes because of a damaged arm he had. It was in Nat Geo. Unless walking up-rite helped him further his blood line, I doubt it would promote evolution. ( By evolution I am to assume you mean because he is standing on his hind legs he is evolving ) Walking on all fours is not necessarily an impediment to animals Nor is standing up-rite an improvement in the Darwinian sense. Just because he looks more human Doesn't make a dog who sits up smarter or more likely to procreate and promote his blood line. I realize you had another message to push.
You're a nutcase. Plain and simple. Crying because I'm hitting the Bible and not the Koran? lol

As for the bible never mentioning the solar system? In the beginning God created the Heavens and the Earth. Skip a few lines. Then what happens?

And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.

Pardon my ignorance, but I had assumed by stars also, that the Bible was referring to God creating the stars also.

And I'm sure you could easily find someone who still believes the Sun revolves around the Earth, or even someone from the flat Earth society. Those loons are out there, too.

And as for your argument that "Nor is standing up-rite an improvement in the Darwinian sense. " Yes it is. It is an improvement for the fact that without walking on all fours, the great Apes have more time to use tools/carry objects in their now free hands. Walking upright was a huge advantage in our development as a species also. Walking upright is an evolutionary leap forward for mammals with two legs and two hands.

Glad you mentioned dogs, I'd have thought the fact we've been breeding dogs for millennia and domesticating them was proof enough in evolution. It's not wolves in our homes.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6623|London, England
If you look at some core aspects of eastern religions like Hinduism/Bhuddism they are very metaphysical...spiritual and all that, and universal in the literal sense. There's alot of talk about the universe, space, time etc.. I don't think it would change much. Basically the idea of God = Universe means anything goes really.

I dunno, the western religions are very Earth/Human based and specific in what they say. But they find ways to survive everything, so they'll find a way to survive ET.

It depends on the religion. I don't even think most of us here are religious enough to see how it would play down.

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2011-01-25 15:21:09)

presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5963|Places 'n such
Meh, any religious book is a series of stories made to promote morals that encourage group survival which in turn allows the group to spread the stories in the book.
Self perpetuating bullshit the lot of it.
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6521|Πάϊ

Kmar wrote:

So you don't see anyone questioning their belief system after? Surely the discovery of intelligent alien life would be cause for reconsideration, no matter how devote the believer is.
There's plenty of reasons for reconsideration as it is, with no little green men in the picture. But do you see anyone reconsidering?
ƒ³
EVieira
+105|6480|Lutenblaag, Molvania

Kmar wrote:

EVieira wrote:

Kmar wrote:

Why would they? Plenty of things have been discovered and people's faith continues. Fossils, DNA, evolution, etc. Why would alien life throw them off if none of those things ever did?
Plenty of religions have also failed with the progression of human understanding. I used to be certain in your opinion also. I'm not so sure now. As it stands now Aethism in the US is already the fastest growing belief system. Making contact would be the greatest challenge of to any religion.

I'd still like to hear some reasonable answers to the op questions.
I still don't see any reason faith would be doubted because of extraterrestrial life. At least in Christianism, God created the universe. That would include aliens, if they exist.
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered;  the point is to discover them."
Galileo Galilei  (1564-1642)
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

oug wrote:

Kmar wrote:

There's plenty of reasons for reconsideration as it is, with no little green men in the picture. But do you see anyone reconsidering?
Absolutely, it will sway believers. The creation of life is at the foundation of many religions. We have yet to discover intelligent alien life beyond our little blue dot. Not to mention if we discover a way of communicating with them, they may have answers to fundamental human questions. Religion serves to fill in these unaswered questions, and without question there is no need. Obviously there will be people who stay loyal to their beliefs.. there are people in this world that still sacrifice goats in hopes of a rainy season to.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5963|Places 'n such
I believe there are aliens out there but we will never contact them. Just throwing it out there.
CC-Marley
+407|6830

AussieReaper wrote:

If you believed the Church, the Earth was the centre of the universe and Sun revolved around the Earth. When that was proven incorrect, did the religious stop believing? Nope, just altered what they got out of the texts. "Metaphor" is the excuse for anything the Bible, etc is shown to be false with.
If we did come from monkeys, then why are there still monkeys? Just a question?
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5963|Places 'n such
We didn't come from monkeys, we both branched off from a common "ancestor" at some point in the past. Least that's what I thought was the idea.
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6521|Πάϊ

Kmar wrote:

Absolutely, it will sway believers. The creation of life is at the foundation of many religions. We have yet to discover intelligent alien life beyond our little blue dot. Not to mention if we discover a way of communicating with them, they may have answers to fundamental human questions. Religion serves to fill in these unaswered questions, and without question there is no need. Obviously there will be people who stay loyal to their beliefs.. there are people in this world that still sacrifice goats in hopes of a rainy season to.
haha true! Now that I think about it more, such an event might indeed influence certain kinds of believers. Primarily those who don't need to believe...
ƒ³
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6447|The Land of Scott Walker
We all believe in something higher than ourselves ... God, evolution, aliens, etc.  What if the aliens prove that they created the universe and the big bang is false?  THAT is the question ...
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6634|949

then aliens = god?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5360|London, England

Stingray24 wrote:

We all believe in something higher than ourselves ... God, evolution, aliens, etc.  What if the aliens prove that they created the universe and the big bang is false?  THAT is the question ...
Why is evolution higher than ourselves? It's a theory of random genetic mutations, some of which are beneficial and thrive, while others do not. There's nothing guiding evolution so... I don't understand your statement.

Atheists and agnostics don't simply replace belief in Yahweh, God or Allah with a belief in evolution. That's preposterous. It is especially preposterous since there's nothing within evolution that would preclude a believer from recognizing and accepting it. Chalk the mutations up to God's will for all I or anyone else cares.

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2011-01-25 17:13:12)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Stingray24

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

then aliens = god?
Sure, so will those who do not believe in god be able to break free and accept a higher power did create their world?
Stingray24

JohnG@lt wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

Why is evolution higher than ourselves? It's a theory of random genetic mutations, some of which are beneficial and thrive, while others do not. There's nothing guiding evolution so... I don't understand your statement.
The system determines our destiny in evolution, yes?  We are merely grains of sand in the cosmos etc etc
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5360|London, England

Stingray24 wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

The system determines our destiny in evolution, yes?  We are merely grains of sand in the cosmos etc etc
No. There is no destiny. There is no fate. Mutations occur randomly due to radiation exposure and other causes. They are not predestined to occur. Now, like I said, feel free to chalk those mutations up to the will of your god. At least then you'll be halfway correct instead of wholly wrong.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5180|Sydney

JohnG@lt wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

No. There is no destiny. There is no fate.
You cannot prove a negative.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard