Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5379|London, England

dayarath wrote:

Now that's some real engineering
You wouldn't believe the budgets that go into projects. I was like 'you mean I can have anything I want?' "Sure, no problem" Night and day compared to studying this shit in a university system riddled with budget cuts.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6653|949

shouldn't you be putting your head down as you march onward toward that 10,000 hour mark so you can retire successful and wealthy?  Stop posting, keep drafting!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

shouldn't you be putting your head down as you march onward toward that 10,000 hour mark so you can retire successful and wealthy?  Stop posting, keep drafting!
40 hours/week, 50 weeks/year, 5 years = 10,00 hours
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6174|what

Hunter/Jumper wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

That's what I thought.

If so, you've got problems H/J.
It is sad that you would admit you have no idea and make a conclusion anyway. Have fun in Chemistry Lab !
I had no idea, which is why I asked. And even the conclusion I said "If so". I gave you the benefit of the doubt...

Oh, and btw - the caption to that pic was:

A well nourished Sudanese man steals maize from a starving child during a food distribution at the feeding center at Ajiep.

I'm sure some hard work would have really helped in that situation though.

Last edited by AussieReaper (2011-01-24 17:51:52)

https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Ilocano wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

I just hope it's not a family firm. But did you get the job through anyone you know, is it an Internship or just based off your degree?

I am happy that you are in a firm.
It's not a family firm, it's quite large. My friends father retired as a partner and I got the interview through him but I won the job on my own merits (my military service did wonders)
That's what you think.  You just happen to get in at the right time.  Engineering firms hiring all over the place.  Not enough people to fill all the positions.  We just got raises across the board.  Engineering firm stocks up 15-25% just in the last quarter. 
Meh, my fiance still makes more than me (not for long though).
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6653|949

JohnG@lt wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

are you really that naive?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

are you really that naive?
No.
-Frederick Bastiat
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6174|what

dayarath wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

And you measure success in this world how?
Funny that this same photo measures wealth by purely western standards.

There are so many people on the planet who don't really care about ANY of the things summed up in the picture and don't want to be part of it either.
I'd have thought food, clothing, a roof over your head and a place to sleep would be something everyone would care to have.

Guess I was mistaken?
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6717|NJ
I'm happy about it, I'm sure the family friend wasn't any helps.

But then again it's a field that is hiring and skyscrapers are going to be built forever.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6689

JohnG@lt wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

It's not a family firm, it's quite large. My friends father retired as a partner and I got the interview through him but I won the job on my own merits (my military service did wonders)
That's what you think.  You just happen to get in at the right time.  Engineering firms hiring all over the place.  Not enough people to fill all the positions.  We just got raises across the board.  Engineering firm stocks up 15-25% just in the last quarter. 
While it's truth, I posted with a smile on my face.  Best of luck.  Hopefully you aren't afraid of heights.  What's your title?  One of my brother-in-laws also builds skyscrapers, in Singapore.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

cpt.fass1 wrote:

I'm happy about it, I'm sure the family friend wasn't any helps.

But then again it's a field that is hiring and skyscrapers are going to be built forever.
Thanks man
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6127|eXtreme to the maX

cpt.fass1 wrote:

skyscrapers are going to be built forever.
I doubt it.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Ilocano wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

While it's truth, I posted with a smile on my face.  Best of luck.  Hopefully you aren't afraid of heights.  What's your title?  One of my brother-in-laws also builds skyscrapers, in Singapore.
I'm basically UberIntern for the next four years until I pass the PE exam. They're going to pay for grad school during that time if I choose to go that route, which I'm definitely going to take advantage of. But then they own my soul.

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2011-01-24 17:59:02)

-Frederick Bastiat
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6021|...

AussieReaper wrote:

I'd have thought food, clothing, a roof over your head and a place to sleep would be something everyone would care to have.

Guess I was mistaken?
Except for the fact that the word fridge is conveniently lodged in there.

According to that statistic 75% of the population would be either starving, homeless or naked. That is ridiculous.
inane little opines
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6689

JohnG@lt wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

I'm basically UberIntern for the next four years until I pass the PE exam. They're going to pay for grad school during that time if I choose to go that route too which I'm definitely going to take advantage of.
Hell yeah.  Get as much free paid for education as you can.  One of my cousins got his MBA that way.  His goal is now CFO.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Ilocano wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

I'm basically UberIntern for the next four years until I pass the PE exam. They're going to pay for grad school during that time if I choose to go that route too which I'm definitely going to take advantage of.
Hell yeah.  Get as much free paid for education as you can.  One of my cousins got his MBA that way.  His goal is now CFO.
Yeah, I'm studying for the GMAT.
-Frederick Bastiat
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6174|what

dayarath wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Guess I was mistaken?
Except for the fact that the word fridge is conveniently lodged in there.

According to that statistic 75% of the population would be either starving, homeless or naked. That is ridiculous.
Let's take a look at some estimates...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty#Demographics

Percentage population living on less than 1 dollar day 2007-2008
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1d/Percentage_population_living_on_less_than_1_dollar_day_2007-2008.png/800px-Percentage_population_living_on_less_than_1_dollar_day_2007-2008.png

Percentage population undernourished
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/78/Percentage_population_undernourished_world_map.PNG

Africa. India. China.

Do you think they have large populations?
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6689

For some regions, $1/day is fine for someone who can subsist from their personal farm/livestock/foraging/hunting/fishing/etc.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Ilocano wrote:

For some regions, $1/day is fine for someone who can subsist from their personal farm/livestock/foraging/hunting/fishing/etc.
Yeah, it's all well and good to bring up a map like that but it doesn't take into account cost of living factors. If they aren't importing, they don't need money really.
-Frederick Bastiat
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6021|...

AussieReaper wrote:

Africa. India. China.

Do you think they have large populations?
India and China both being emerging economies working hard on their issues.

Still, the statistic that 75% of the world is either homeless, naked or suffering starvation just doesn't add up. That would mean pretty much EVERYONE outside of western society.

Out of all places Africa suffers the most from poverty and would undoubtedly be leading on every statistic, yet even if we take that entire continent it would hardly amount to 75% of the world.

Furthermore there are many places where money is literally valueless in comparison to physical goods.

Last edited by dayarath (2011-01-24 18:19:42)

inane little opines
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6174|what

How can you justify poverty levels like that? "Well - the cost of living is so low..."

If only they'd work harder, they could pull in 2, or even 3 dollars a day!

Then they'd have it sweet.

Seriously?
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6689

AussieReaper wrote:

How can you justify poverty levels like that? "Well - the cost of living is so low..."

Seriously?
Because it's all relative.  $100/hr in Manhattan is middle-class, while it's wealthy in parts of Tennessee.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6174|what

Ilocano wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Seriously?
Because it's all relative.  $100/hr in Manhattan is middle-class, while it's wealthy in parts of Tennessee.
The price of a loaf of bread doesn't change when you buy it from Manhattan or from Tennessee...

Have you heard of a concept known as purchasing power parity?
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6689

AussieReaper wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Seriously?
The price of a loaf of bread doesn't change when you buy it from Manhattan or from Tennessee...

Have you heard of a concept known as purchasing power parity?
Yes, there is a difference.  Whole Foods versus Joe Bob's bakery.

In Manhattan, $1 million will get you an apartment.  In Tennessee, it'll get you a multi-acre mansion.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6174|what

Oh, so you haven't heard of purchasing power parity.

I should have known... You have no idea what you're talking about if you're comparing what you can buy in another state, rather than the value of the dollar unit. Which doesn't change.

As for the disputing how many people are in poverty?

Try reading up on the statistics into global poverty. Come back if you still dispute that hard work is all that is what seperates you or me from being poor rather than just dumb plain luck being born into a privilaged home/country.

Almost half the world — over three billion people — live on less than $2.50 a day. At least 80% of humanity lives on less than $10 a day.

And that's just a few of the statistics on earning.
http://www.globalissues.org/article/26/ … stats#src1

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard