Trotskygrad
бля
+354|6152|Vortex Ring State

AussieReaper wrote:

Hunter/Jumper wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/iXWSh.jpg

Kid needs to learn the lesson of hard work.
" holy molly " were do I send my money ? GFD
GFD?
Go Fuckin Die?

(not to you, Aussie, just guessing at the meaning of GFD)
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6306|what

That's what I thought.

If so, you've got problems H/J.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6691|Long Island, New York

AussieReaper wrote:

That's what I thought.

remember all that talk about "excluding juvenile text"?

good times
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,977|6785|949

did G@lt just get around to reading Outliers?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5511|London, England

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

did G@lt just get around to reading Outliers?
A few weeks ago, yeah. This thread was spurred by something I read in another thread though.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,977|6785|949

I thought Gladwell did a decent job showing that you need to be extremely hard working + extremely lucky.  Remember how he mentioned that Bill Gates had access to one of the most technologically advanced computer labs at the time?  And that he went to a school that allowed him the ability to attend that lab?  And the contrast with the guy who was super smart and working on his 'thesis on everything' but has trouble getting published and recognition because of unfortunate break after unfortunate break...remember that part?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I thought Gladwell did a decent job showing that you need to be extremely hard working + extremely lucky.  Remember how he mentioned that Bill Gates had access to one of the most technologically advanced computer labs at the time?  And that he went to a school that allowed him the ability to attend that lab?  And the contrast with the guy who was super smart and working on his 'thesis on everything' but has trouble getting published and recognition because of unfortunate break after unfortunate break...remember that part?
I do, but with the way Gates put in time and effort, it wouldn't have mattered what field he had chosen. Would he be as supremely rich? No, but he would undoubtedly be successful anyway. Success doesn't necessarily mean being uber wealthy. It could be a simple as being an expert in a field.

And yes, it does help to get breaks like he did with the computer lab, but it's not a requirement. The problem is that Gladwell almost wholly used financial outliers (because they are easy).

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2011-01-24 16:04:26)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6306|what

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/rac_goshawk/561.jpg

And you measure success in this world how?
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6849|NJ
Aussie that's because they're not putting in their 10,000 hours. Which btw in order to put the time and support that bill gates did he came from money.

Also John did you get out of school now and are on a successful career path?

Last edited by cpt.fass1 (2011-01-24 16:52:50)

Hunter/Jumper
+117|6507

AussieReaper wrote:

Hunter/Jumper wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/iXWSh.jpg

Kid needs to learn the lesson of hard work.
" holy molly " were do I send my money ? GFD
GFD?
God Fuckin Damm ! I usually don't swear because you don't know who is gonna read it but that photo is going to interfere with sleep tonight. Dam

Last edited by Hunter/Jumper (2011-01-24 17:15:46)

Hunter/Jumper
+117|6507

AussieReaper wrote:

That's what I thought.

It is sad that you would admit you have no idea and make a conclusion anyway. Have fun in Chemistry Lab !
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6507

Poseidon wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

That's what I thought.

remember all that talk about "excluding juvenile text"?

good times
You are lost again.

Really managed to define yourselves, if anyone was paying attention. You two never fail to disappoint. Keep it coming ~ Please !

Last edited by Hunter/Jumper (2011-01-24 17:18:39)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Aussie that's because they're not putting in their 10,000 hours. Which btw in order to put the time and support that bill gates did he came from money.

Yes and I hope so.
-Frederick Bastiat
cpt.fass1
+329|6849|NJ

JohnG@lt wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Yes and I hope so.
Oh congrats, did you get a job yet?
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6152|...

AussieReaper wrote:

And you measure success in this world how?
Funny that this same photo measures wealth by purely western standards.

There are so many people on the planet who don't really care about ANY of the things summed up in the picture and don't want to be part of it either.
inane little opines
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

cpt.fass1 wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Yes and I hope so.
Oh congrats, did you get a job yet?
Yep, working at an engineering firm I won't name
-Frederick Bastiat
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6507
I'm sure they appreciate that.
cpt.fass1
+329|6849|NJ
I just hope it's not a family firm. But did you get the job through anyone you know, is it an Internship or just based off your degree?

I am happy that you are in a firm.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

cpt.fass1 wrote:

I just hope it's not a family firm. But did you get the job through anyone you know, is it an Internship or just based off your degree?

It's not a family firm, it's quite large. My friends father retired as a partner and I got the interview through him but I won the job on my own merits (my military service did wonders)

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2011-01-24 17:41:23)

-Frederick Bastiat
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6152|...
what kind of products do you make?
inane little opines
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

dayarath wrote:

Skyscrapers
-Frederick Bastiat
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6152|...
Now that's some real engineering
inane little opines
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6820

JohnG@lt wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

It's not a family firm, it's quite large. My friends father retired as a partner and I got the interview through him but I won the job on my own merits (my military service did wonders)
That's what you think.  You just happen to get in at the right time.  Engineering firms hiring all over the place.  Not enough people to fill all the positions.  We just got raises across the board.  Engineering firm stocks up 15-25% just in the last quarter. 
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,813|6259|eXtreme to the maX

JohnG@lt wrote:

dayarath wrote:

Skyscrapers Targets
Fixd
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6152|...
engineering firms have been hiring all over the place for decades, it's a good field to be in
inane little opines

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard