Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5357|London, England
It's not being lucky, or being born into the right family (though that helps cover up deficiencies to an extent). It's not being born a genius or a retard. No, the secret to success is... surprise! Hard work. It takes approximately 10,000 hours of practice to become an expert at anything. Bobby Fischer? 10,000 hours playing chess before he became the youngest Grandmaster in history. Bill Gates? 10,000 of programming experience before he even reached Harvard.

Why do I mention this? Because I'm sick and tired of reading on this forum about conspiracy theories regarding the rich or seeing people publish replies based on some ridiculous assumption that they only became wealthy due to luck. Sorry, luck has very little to do with anything.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6496

i feel lucky that i haven't been banned yet.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6105|eXtreme to the maX
Fall down nine times get up ten times.

That and nepotism.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

That and nepotism.
Nepotism can only cover up for deficiencies so much... If your dad hands you a company and you drive it into the ground the likelihood of you getting another shot elsewhere are pretty damn slim.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5177|Sydney

JohnG@lt wrote:

It's not being lucky, or being born into the right family (though that helps cover up deficiencies to an extent). It's not being born a genius or a retard. No, the secret to success is... surprise! Hard work. It takes approximately 10,000 hours of practice to become an expert at anything. Bobby Fischer? 10,000 hours playing chess before he became the youngest Grandmaster in history. Bill Gates? 10,000 of programming experience before he even reached Harvard.

Why do I mention this? Because I'm sick and tired of reading on this forum about conspiracy theories regarding the rich or seeing people publish replies based on some ridiculous assumption that they only became wealthy due to luck. Sorry, luck has very little to do with anything.
An interesting statistic re: lucky wealth is that (or so I've heard a few times before) 95% of lottery winners return to the same financial position or similar 2 years after winning, of course with more stuff and maybe don't have a mortgage any more. Unless of course you win a really big lottery.

I think people who work hard for their wealth tend to manage it a LOT better as a result. A mate is earning pretty well and his dad is in a very good position (earns around 300k annually). His dad came from a poor family and worked his arse off, and as a result is rich and a very good manager of money as a result.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

JohnG@lt wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

That and nepotism.
Nepotism can only cover up for deficiencies so much... If your dad hands you a company and you drive it into the ground the likelihood of you getting another shot elsewhere are pretty damn slim.
Doesn't matter if you've retired rich, and an average person can sit back, hire a good manager and count the money as it rolls in.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2011-01-23 18:08:13)

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6151|what

Bill Gates stole the work of others to get where he is today. Let's call a spade a spade.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

That and nepotism.
Doesn't matter if you've retired rich.
You're talking about trust funders? Meh, there's a more than even chance that they end up in poverty by the end of their lifetime. Most trust funders I've met have zero concept of money and spend it frivolously.
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Corruption and belligerent business practices are also paths to riches, just look at Microsoft - stolen ideas, shit products - Bill Gates is doing OK.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2011-01-23 18:10:07)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

AussieReaper wrote:

Bill Gates stole the work of others to get where he is today. Let's call a spade a spade.
I knew I shouldn't have mentioned the technonerds bogeyman
-Frederick Bastiat
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6151|what

https://i.imgur.com/iXWSh.jpg

Kid needs to learn the lesson of hard work.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6666

JohnG@lt wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

JG, leave the techno stuff to us technonerds. 

I admire Bill Gates' success, but Aussie is pretty much correct.  BG saw an opportunity, and stole it.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715

Ilocano wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

I admire Bill Gates' success, but Aussie is pretty much correct.  BG saw an opportunity, and stole it.
He's just a better businessman than the guy who made DOS.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6666

Cybargs wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

He's just a better businessman than the guy who made DOS.
The killer app was Excel though.  The original app name Excel was based on escapes me.  Wasn't Lotus 1-2-3.  Visicalc?

Edit:  Lotus 1-2-3.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6653

Maybe after 10,000 hours of posting, I can finally make a good thread.
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6695|NJ
What is your gauge of successful?

I also thought Bill Gates was a drop out?

Hard work isn't what it's about anymore there's no love for the employee at any jobs, it's all about who you know. The term Fake it till you make it is more applicable to our modern society then hard work. That's just the way it is.

Last edited by cpt.fass1 (2011-01-23 22:31:18)

RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6736|Oxferd Ohire

mtb0minime wrote:

Maybe after 10,000 hours of posting, I can finally make a good thread.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Hard work isn't what it's about anymore there's no love for the employee at any jobs, it's all about who you know. The term Fake it till you make it is more applicable to our modern society then hard work. That's just the way it is.
Depends, in large companies that is often the case.

I've always been stumped by the people who fuck up horribly and then work twice as hard to rescue their fuck-up and get the glory for being a hard worker who fixes fuck-ups.

Avoiding fuck-ups in the first place, or just working efficiently and steadily is worth nothing apparently.

Outside large companies you have to stand on your own feet and your real reputation and history is all you have.
13/f/taiwan
+940|5697
work for the gov't and do absolutely nothing. cops/parole officers/sanitation workers/firefighters etc. you can make six figures easy without doing anything but sleeping.
jsnipy
+3,276|6521|...

13/f/taiwan wrote:

work for the gov't and do absolutely nothing. cops/parole officers/sanitation workers/firefighters etc. you can make six figures easy without doing anything but sleeping.
Lot of truth in that; add postal workers, remove cops and firefighters
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
But really, hard work and perseverance are the key to real success in pretty well any field.
jord
+2,382|6677|The North, beyond the wall.
Its not just hard work like its not just luck, its a combination of factors. You can work your ass off for 50 years and still be relatively poor.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Working smarter and a bit of luck play their role too.
No matter how hard you work you need to be thinking of the next step.
cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6472|Kakanien

AussieReaper wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/iXWSh.jpg

Kid needs to learn the lesson of hard work.
i agree. it's all about being lucky having been born in an industrialized country and not in... let's say somalia
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6322|Graz, Austria
I think it's about having the right ideas at the right time.
You can work long and hard until then, or be lucky and don't need to do much to get there.

Or steal the idea, commercially exploit it better, then sue the competitor.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard